Whether you want to revive your dull, lifeless hair or strengthen the roots, coconut oil can help achieve your hair goals. Massaging regularly with coconut oil helps prevent several skin and hair problems. It comprises antimicrobial properties, lauric acid, and medium-chain fatty acids that help condition the scalp, regrow, and strengthen your hair. The oil is also rich in minerals, vitamins, and other nutrients to help make your hair strong, shiny, and beautiful.
We have compiled a list of the best coconut oils for hair to help you choose a suitable product.
Top Products From Our List
Benefits Of Using Coconut Hair Oil
People have been enjoying the benefits of coconut oil for ages. Here are some well-known advantages it offers.
- Conditions hair: Coconut oil helps condition all types of hair. According to a study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Science, it is more effective than sunflower and mineral oils (1).
- Prevents hair damage: If your hair loses protein, it may be prone to dryness and damage. Coconut oil helps prevent hair damage caused by excessive brushing and combing.
- Contains essential nutrients: Coconut oil comprises various essential nutrients. While lauric acid helps improve overall hair health, the medium-chain triglycerides help hair grow. Its antiviral, antibacterial, antioxidant, and antifungal elements help treat dandruff and keep the hair healthy. Coconut oil can also eradicate fungus, bacteria, and viruses from the scalp.
11 Best Coconut Oils For Hair
With a long-shelf-life, this fractionated coconut oil is made by removing the long-chain triglycerides, leaving only the medium-chain triglycerides behind. This oil is odorless, non-greasy, easy to wash, and does not stain clothing or sheets. You can mix it with essential oils for aromatherapy and soothing massages, and it doesn’t solidify like standard coconut oils.
100% natural and pure, you can use this coconut oil for hair care, aromatherapy, skin moisturizing, and pets. The oil is vegan, chemical-free, preservative-free, hexane-free, and fragrance-free. It is lightweight, suitable for all skin types, and offers a silky-smooth feeling without clogging pores. Rich in antioxidants, this oil helps enhance scalp health, fights infections, and fungus, while adding shine and volume to your hair.
Suitable for nails, skin, and hair, this organic fractional coconut oil helps hydrate your skin and moisturizes the cuticles and hair. With no added fragrance, this lightweight product can help tame your mane without leaving any greasy residue. Moreover, it stays liquid and gets absorbed quickly. You can use this oil to massage your hair to soften it from roots to ends.
Rich in essential fatty acids and vitamin E, this oil helps reduce the appearance of blemishes, age spots, stretch marks, wrinkles, and spots on the face. You can use it on your hair to make your locks shinier and thicker. Made from 100% pure coconut, it offers smooth velvet consistency and is odor-free.
Suitable for all hair textures, this deeply moisturizing oil helps treat dry, itchy scalp, dandruff, thinning hair, frizzy hair, hair loss, etc. With various healing properties, it helps maintain your hair and skin moisture, and its anti-fungal and antibacterial properties help fight against scalp infections and allergies. This product contains essential fatty acids and antioxidants to help keep your hair shiny and prevents protein loss from combing damage.
Non-greasy and quick-absorbing, you can use this coconut oil for your hair and skin. This organic fractionated coconut oil helps penetrate deep into the scalp to hydrate the locks and improves blood circulation. The coconut oil helps make hair thick, healthy, and strong, and you can use this non-staining, odorless formula to dilute essential oils.
Enriched with Vitamin E, this coconut oil’s moisturizing formula can deeply moisturize your skin and dry hair. The antioxidant properties help protect the dry areas. You can use this coconut oil as a deep-conditioning hair mask. The product is manufactured from natural ingredients and has not been tested on animals.
USDA-certified, this virgin coconut oil is extracted from natural coconuts harvested manually with the help of the cold-pressed technique to help retain its natural potency, aroma, and flavor. It acts as a conditioner and moisturizer for skin and hair and contains several antioxidant properties that help enhance the hair texture and prevent unwanted damage. You can use this oil for baking, deep-frying, and salad dressing. This coconut oil also helps treat dry and itchy skin in pets.
Known for its softening and re-hydrating qualities, this nourishing oil helps leave your hair revived, moisturized, and nourished. Its lightweight and alcohol-free formulation is quick-absorbing and offers a beautiful shine without any greasy residue. You can use the oil on dry and wet hair for a smooth, silky finish. Available in two vials, the oil is free of drying alcohol, gluten, phthalates, parabens, and sulfates.
Rich in nutrients, this organic coconut oil helps repair damaged hair caused by chemical processing, color treatment, or heat styling. It helps repair split ends, rejuvenates lifeless strands, and adds smoothness and shine to control frizz. The oil helps bring out your hair’s natural balance, hydration, elasticity, and strength.
With fair trade organic shea butter, this product combines the lightness of milk with the potency of hair growth oil. It helps leave hair delicately fragranced while locking in moisture to make hair look smooth and silky. The product is free of sulfates, mineral oils, phthalates, and parabens.
How To Choose The Right Coconut Oil?
Consider the following points when buying coconut oil.
- Authenticity: Look for important features such as organic, virgin, and non-hydrogenated. These can help certify the authenticity and credibility of the oil.
- Expeller or cold-pressed: Choose a coconut oil that is expeller or cold-pressed as no chemicals or heat will be used in these processes. It helps retain the beneficial natural properties of coconut oil.
- Color: Avoid buying coconut oil that has a gray or yellow tint. These colors can indicate contamination.
To achieve effective results, you should select high-quality coconut oil and use it consistently. However, do not overuse the oil to prevent greasiness. Wash your hair thoroughly to avoid clogging the pores and hair follicles. Choose from our list of the best coconut oils for hair to add to your hair care routine.
1. Aarti S Rele and R B Mohile; Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage; Journal of Cosmetic Science (2003),https://www.essentialnutrition.com.br/media/artigos/mctlift/25.pdf