The best coconut oils for hair take care of dryness and nourish the roots of your hair. They also seep into the upper layer of the scalp and nourish it.
Coconut oil contains ingredients such as lauric acid and medium-chain fatty acids that have antimicrobial properties and help condition the scalp and strengthen your hair. It is also infused with minerals, vitamins, and nutrients, thus making your hair strong, shiny, and beautiful.
Read on as we have listed some of the best coconut oils that condition your hair, prevent hair damage, and fight dandruff.
Our Top Picks
Benefits Of Using Coconut Hair Oil
People have been enjoying the benefits of coconut oil for ages. Here are some well-known advantages it offers.
- Conditions hair: Coconut oil helps condition all types of hair. According to a study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Science, it is more effective than sunflower and mineral oils (1).
- Prevents hair damage: If your hair loses protein, it may be prone to dryness and damage. Coconut oil helps prevent hair damage caused by excessive brushing and combing.
- Contains essential nutrients: Coconut oil comprises various essential nutrients. While lauric acid helps improve overall hair health, the medium-chain triglycerides help hair grow. Its antiviral, antibacterial, antioxidant, and antifungal elements help treat dandruff and keep the hair healthy. Coconut oil can also eradicate fungus, bacteria, and viruses from the scalp.
11 Best Coconut Oils For Hair
1. Best With A Long-Shelf-Life: Majestic Pure Fractionated Coconut Oil
With a long-shelf-life, this fractionated coconut oil is made by removing the long-chain triglycerides, leaving only the medium-chain triglycerides behind. This oil is odorless, non-greasy, easy to wash, and does not stain clothing or sheets. You can mix it with essential oils for aromatherapy and soothing massages, and it doesn’t solidify like standard coconut oils. If you are still in doubt, you may check this genuine review video before purchasing the product.
2. Best Natural: Handcraft Blends Fractionated Coconut Oil
100% natural and pure, you can use this coconut oil for hair care, aromatherapy, skin moisturizing, and pets. The oil is vegan, chemical-free, preservative-free, hexane-free, and fragrance-free. It is lightweight, suitable for all skin types, and offers a silky-smooth feeling without clogging pores. Rich in antioxidants, this oil helps enhance scalp health, fights infections, and fungus, while adding shine and volume to your hair.
3. Best Fragrance-Free: Viva Naturals Organic Fractional Coconut Oil
Suitable for nails, skin, and hair, this organic fractional coconut oil helps hydrate your skin and moisturizes the cuticles and hair. With no added fragrance, this lightweight product can help tame your mane without leaving any greasy residue. Moreover, it stays liquid and gets absorbed quickly. You can use this oil to massage your hair to soften it from roots to ends.
4. Best For Shiny Locks: Coco & Co. Organic Pure Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Rich in essential fatty acids and vitamin E, this oil helps reduce the appearance of blemishes, age spots, stretch marks, wrinkles, and spots on the face. You can use it on your hair to make your locks shinier and thicker. Made from 100% pure coconut, it offers smooth velvet consistency and is odor-free.
5. Best For Deep Moisturization: Okay 100% Pure Coconut Oil
Suitable for all hair textures, this deeply moisturizing oil helps treat dry, itchy scalp, dandruff, thinning hair, frizzy hair, hair loss, etc. With various healing properties, it helps maintain your hair and skin moisture, and its anti-fungal and antibacterial properties help fight against scalp infections and allergies. This product contains essential fatty acids and antioxidants to help keep your hair shiny and prevents protein loss from combing damage.
6. Best Non-Greasy: Pura D’or Organic Fractionated Coconut Oil
Non-greasy and quick-absorbing, you can use this coconut oil for your hair and skin. This organic fractionated coconut oil helps penetrate deep into the scalp to hydrate the locks and improves blood circulation. The coconut oil helps make hair thick, healthy, and strong, and you can use this non-staining, odorless formula to dilute essential oils.
7. Best With Antioxidant Properties: Sky Organics USDA Organic Coconut Oil With Vitamin E
Enriched with Vitamin E, this coconut oil’s moisturizing formula can deeply moisturize your skin and dry hair. The antioxidant properties help protect the dry areas. You can use this coconut oil as a deep-conditioning hair mask. The product is manufactured from natural ingredients and has not been tested on animals. This video about the Sky Organics coconut oil can help you decide.
8. Best Cold-Pressed Oil: Parachute Naturalz 100% Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
USDA-certified, this virgin coconut oil is extracted from natural coconuts harvested manually with the help of the cold-pressed technique to help retain its natural potency, aroma, and flavor. It acts as a conditioner and moisturizer for skin and hair and contains several antioxidant properties that help enhance the hair texture and prevent unwanted damage. You can use this oil for baking, deep-frying, and salad dressing. This coconut oil also helps treat dry and itchy skin in pets.
9. Best Nourishing: Hask Coconut Monoi Nourishing Hair Oil
Known for its softening and re-hydrating qualities, this nourishing oil helps leave your hair revived, moisturized, and nourished. Its lightweight and alcohol-free formulation is quick-absorbing and offers a beautiful shine without any greasy residue. You can use the oil on dry and wet hair for a smooth, silky finish. Available in two vials, the oil is free of drying alcohol, gluten, phthalates, parabens, and sulfates. To know how good the product is, watching this video can be of help.
10. Best For Damaged Hair: Oliology Coconut Hair Oil
Rich in nutrients, this organic coconut oil helps repair damaged hair caused by chemical processing, color treatment, or heat styling. It helps repair split ends, rejuvenates lifeless strands, and adds smoothness and shine to control frizz. The oil helps bring out your hair’s natural balance, hydration, elasticity, and strength.
11. Best For Hair Growth: SheaMoisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil
With fair trade organic shea butter, this product combines the lightness of milk with the potency of hair growth oil. It helps leave hair delicately fragranced while locking in moisture to make hair look smooth and silky. The product is free of sulfates, mineral oils, phthalates, and parabens.
How To Choose The Right Coconut Oil?
Consider the following points when buying coconut oil.
- Authenticity: Look for important features such as organic, virgin, and non-hydrogenated. These can help certify the authenticity and credibility of the oil.
- Expeller or cold-pressed: Choose a coconut oil that is expeller or cold-pressed as no chemicals or heat will be used in these processes. It helps retain the beneficial natural properties of coconut oil.
- Color: Avoid buying coconut oil that has a gray or yellow tint. These colors can indicate contamination.
Coconut oil is a rich source of nutrients that nourish and hydrate the hair. Taking advantage of this miraculous oil can help you strengthen your hair and make it shinier and more lustrous. The options we’ve listed for you here can help you improve your hair’s texture, condition it, and treat dandruff. However, remember not to overuse the oil, as it can cause greasiness. Moreover, ensure you pick a product that is organic, cold-pressed, and uncontaminated.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag is a fashion and beauty enthusiast who understands the needs of her buyers. After a detailed market study, she compiled a list of the best oils for hair. These oils are nutrient-rich and help promote a healthy scalp and hair. Moreover, most of these oils are versatile and can be used for skin massages and also aromatherapy. Also, scroll down the article to find a handy buying list that mentions the factors contributing to good coconut oil.
1. Aarti S Rele and R B Mohile; Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage; Journal of Cosmetic Science (2003),https://www.essentialnutrition.com.br/media/artigos/mctlift/25.pdf
- Best Scalp Oils
- Best Hair Conditioners For Kids
- Best Hair Creams For Women
- Best Natural Hair Products For Kids