Coloring is a great way to encourage children’s artistic abilities. However, your children may find it difficult to use paintbrushes just yet. Thus, you could give them the best colored pencils for kids to start with.
Crayons and colored pencils are a must-have for children, whether at home or school. These come in sets of primary colors, ethnic colors, and special effect colors. In this post, we bring you a selection of some high-quality, best-selling colored pencils that you may get for your children to boost their creative and motor skills.
- 1 Best With Thick Tips Sargent Art Premium Coloring Pencils Sargentar $5.5 ON AMAZON Read More › $5.5 ON AMAZON
- 2 Best Non-Toxic Crayola Colored Pencils Crayola $10.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $10.99 ON AMAZON
- 3 Best Break-Proof U.S. Art Supply 50 Piece Colored Pencil Set U.s. Art Supply $14.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $14.99 ON AMAZON
- 4 Best For Soft Strokes Stabilo Woody Multi-talented Pencil Set Stabilo $37.61 ON AMAZON Read More › $37.61 ON AMAZON
- 5 Best Easy-To-Store Castle Art Supplies 72 Colored Pencils Zipper-Case Set Castle Art Supplies $33.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $33.99 ON AMAZON
- 6 Best For Smooth Finish Faber-Castell Triangular Colored EcoPencils Faber-castell $7.0 ON AMAZON Read More › $7.0 ON AMAZON
- 7 Best Eco-Friendly Faber-Castell World Colors EcoPencils Faber-castell $65.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $65.99 ON AMAZON
- 8 Best Durable Arteza Kids Colored Pencils Arteza Kids $15.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $15.99 ON AMAZON
- 9 Best For Beginners Crayola 68-4112 Colored Pencils Crayola $3.29 ON AMAZON Read More › $3.29 ON AMAZON
- 10 Best Long-Lasting Cra-Z-Art Colored Pencils Cra-z-art PRICE ON AMAZON Read More › PRICE ON AMAZON
10 Best Colored Pencils For Kids In 2023
1. Best With Thick Tips: Sargent Art Premium Coloring Pencils
The pack of 50 assorted colors is suitable for children aged three years and above. The pencils have thick lead tips of 3.3mm diameter. The colors are subtle and nice, with a variety of shades and hues. The set includes 48 different shades, with an extra black and white pencil to create amazing artwork. These smooth colored pencils come in a fixed see-through window box. Check out this review and testing video to know more about this product.
- Pre-sharpened color pencil set
- Ideal for illustrating and drawing purposes
- Affordable price range
- May not be adequately pigmented
- Some shades may be pretty similar
2. Best Non-Toxic: Crayola Colored Pencils
Your child would love these vibrant colors that could be used to highlight details of an image in drawing or coloring books. The colored pencil set by the trusted brand Crayola includes 50 different color pencils that could be used for school assignments and home crafts. They are durable and give a long-lasting smooth finish. They are safe to color and non-toxic and are recommended for children ages 12 and above. Before buying, have a look at this video for more details.
- Ideal for DIY projects and crafts
- Smooth leads are easy to shade with
- Sharpens smoothly without breaking the lead
- Suitable for creating detailed artwork
- May have similar shades
- Shades like gray and grayish purples may look dull
Unleash your child’s creative and artistic side with this set of 50 colored pencils. The wax-based pencils are suitable for drawing, coloring, sketching, crafting, and scrapbooking and are sure to keep your little one entertained for hours. These artist-grade pencils are high in pigment and produce colors that are bold, crisp, and vibrant. Moreover, the color of the pencil matches the color of the lead, making it easily recognizable.
- Comes with pre-sharpened tips
- High-quality wax-based lead
- Richly pigmented pencil
- Easy to hold
- Produces a smooth finish
- Comes with a case
- Suitable for creating vibrant artwork
- May not be suitable for shading
- Some shades might be limited
4. Best For Soft Strokes: Stabilo Woody Multi-talented Pencil Set
The Stabilo pencil set is suitable for drawing and painting on many surfaces apart from paper and cardboard. It has 18 coloring pencils that can be used as watercolor pencils and wax crayons too. The thick-shaped standard pencils allow a good grip while giving thick and soft strokes. The woody 3-in-1 watercolor pencil set includes a brush and pencil sharpener, and the break-proof pencils offer high opacity and vibrant color intensity.
- Thick and smooth gliding lead
- Can be used on glass surfaces as well
- Easy to remove the color from glass surfaces
- Intense color on dark surfaces
- Pencils may bleed when they come in contact with wetness
- May stain if used on dry-erase board
Unleash the artistic side of your little one with these 72 vibrant color pencils. These colors are intensely pigmented and are rich and creamy, making coloring an enjoyable and effortless experience. Moreover, these hard core pencils come in a zipper case, enabling easy storage and quick selection. This set of art-quality pencils also includes a five-step fold-out coloring tutorial to help beginners understand the concept of coloring.
- Has soft cores with a velvet finish that does not crumble
- Suitable for various surfaces like paper, canvas, and wood
- Each pencil has its elastic holder slot
- Each pencil is numbered
- Smooth and durable
- Impressive range of colors
- Does not include a sharpener
- Does not include metallic colors
6. Best For Smooth Finish: Faber-Castell Triangular Colored EcoPencils
The range of 24 colors in Faber-Castell’s eco pencils is suitable for everyday drawings and coloring books. The triangular-shaped pencils are easy to hold and give better control. The vibrant and specially formulated colors provide a smooth finish and do not flake. These quality-tested colored pencil tools are made from reforested wood and, thus, are break-resistant while being easy to sharpen. They are recommended for children aged over five years.
- Dual display windows
- Vibrant color range
- Prevents hand fatigue
- Conforms to ASTM standards
- May not be easy to sharpen
- May have limited shades
7. Best Eco-Friendly: Faber-Castell World Colors EcoPencils
Another set of Faber-Castell colored pencils for kids that come with skin tone and traditional color shades, these allow your kid to create illustrations, portraits, and more. The set contains 12 colored pencils, three super-soft portrait coloring pencils, and a grip trio sharpener. These eco-friendly sketching pencils are made of wood certified from sustainable forestry, have break-resistant leads, are easy to sharpen, and last long.
- Made of graphite material
- Comes in ready-to-use pieces
- Pencil sharpener sharpens smoothly
- Available in 12, 27, 40, and 300 counts
- Blending colors may not be easy
- May be hard to find the right shade
This set of colored pencils for kids by the tried-and-tested brand Faber-Castell comes with skin tone and traditional color shades, allowing your kid to create illustrations, portraits, and more. The set contains 12 vibrant colored pencils, three super-soft portrait coloring pencils, and a grip trio sharpener. These eco-friendly sketching pencils are made of wood certified from sustainable forestry, have break-resistant leads, are easy to sharpen, and last long.
- Wax-based soft core pencil
- Quality pencils
- Blendable pencil colors
- Easy to store
- Available in a range of colors
- Does not break or crumble
- May have to sharpen this repeatedly
- Some may find the lead to be a little hard
9. Best For Beginners: Crayola 68-4112 Colored Pencils
These Crayola colored pencils are among the best colored pencils for beginners and suitable for classroom and group drawing projects. It is a set of 12 vibrant and bold crayon-length pencils that are pre-sharpened. These safety-tested colored art pencils have wide barrels that make them easy to grasp by little hands and are recommended for children up to eight years of age.
- Round-shaped pencils
- Compact size for easy storage
- Provides break-free drawing
- May be too small for some
- May be difficult to sharpen
Give your budding child artist a chance to explore and enjoy their creativity with this set of 72 colorful pencils. Suitable for beginners, these pencils fit little hands well without causing harm or discomfort. Your child can use these artists’ pencils at home or in school for a fun-filled time. Moreover, these fine art pencils come with pre-sharpened leads that allow children to start coloring the moment they get their hands on this wonderful set.
- Highly pigmented pencil colors
- Works smoothly
- Easy to store
- May not be suitable for professionals
- Tips might break with extended use
How To Choose the Right Colored Pencils For Children?
There are many types of colored pencils available but picking the right one could help your artistic child. Some tips that might be helpful are listed below:
- Oil-based over wax pencils: Oil-based pencils are vibrant, smooth, and easy to blend and work with. They are perfect for creating smooth gradients.
- Thick pencils: Thicker pencils are easy to hold and are better for little hands. Also, at the beginners’ stage, it is good to start with thick pencils.
- Short pencils: Consider shorter pencils, which are the size of your kids’ fingers or smaller as they are easier to control between the thumb and index finger.
- Bright and dark colors: Colors that are bright or dark are better than soft colors. Your children would be fascinated to see what they are coloring or drawing.
- Triangular pencils: They encourage a solid tripod grasp. The three fingers hold the three sides of the pencil.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah, our in-house writer, editor, and reviewer, is knowledgeable about kids’ products, household items, and books. After researching and comparing several consumer-tested products, he collated the names of the best colored pencils for kids. These pencils are sure to please the artist in every child. Wedetso discussed their specifications, such as the number of shades, the vibrancy of colors, opacity, and more. He also provided a buying guide talking about important factors to consider when choosing the right color pencils for your child.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why can’t I rub colored pencils?
Rubbing colored pencils will just smudge the color on your paper rather than remove it. Therefore, buy an eraser specifically made for colored pencils and gently use it to erase the color.
2. How do I remove pencil marks without using an eraser?
The easiest way to remove pencil marks without using an eraser is to use an artist tape. Cut the artist tape to the size of the pencil mark you want to remove, then press it on the desired area for a few seconds before gently removing the tape. The pencil marks will stick to the tape and easily come off.
3. Are colored pencils worth the money?
Colored pencils are easier to handle and work with than paint brushes. They’re an ideal tool for beginners to color with. They also help improve your precision, and they are a much faster way to color than paint brushes.
4. Are colored pencils safe for kids?
Colored pencils are safe for children over the age of three years. They are easier to hold and work with than other options such as watercolors and wax crayons. And there is no risk of making a mess, as there is with watercolors or other types of paint.
5. How long do colored pencils last?
Typically, colored pencils can last up to five years. However, it totally depends on their size and how you take care of them.
Investing in exert-approved colored pencils is a good way to introduce your child to drawing and coloring in the safest way. Children tend to put crayons in their mouths and stain their clothes with watercolors, which rarely happens when they use colored pencils. If your child is new to coloring, selecting thicker and shorter pencils for better grip is the best. Since children love bright and vibrant colors, picking well-pigmented colored pencils will help retain their interest in coloring. Our top picks include the Stabilo Woody Multi-talented Pencil Set, whose intense colors are easily visible even on dark surfaces, and the Crayola Colored Pencils, which are pre-sharpened and safe for your child. The Faber-Castell Triangular Colored EcoPencils are a good choice, too, for creating artwork due to their easy-to-grip design.
Infographic: A Buying Guide For Colored Pencils For Children
Using colored pencils can be a great way for your child to express themselves and work on their creativity. However, it is crucial that you find the right set of colored pencils to ensure safety while your child uses them. Follow the infographic to find an appropriate set of colored pencils for your little one.