A composting toilet uses a natural process to recycle human waste through decomposition and evaporation. Human waste contains 90% water that evaporates back into the atmosphere through the ventilation systems. The remaining solid waste converts into useful fertilizers via natural decomposition. This process of composting natural waste is economical, odorless, safe, hygienic, easy, and convenient. Here is our list of the best composting toilets, and take your pick today.
Benefits of Composting Toilets
Below are some advantages of using a composting toilet.
- Eco-friendly: Composting toilets are planet-friendly and recycle your waste to form nutritious usable plant food. This compost encourages the growth of non-edible plants.
- Less water: These toilets do not depend on water to operate. One need not worry about the amount of water they are using.
- Portable: These commodes are lightweight, portable, and travel-friendly and can be used indoors and outdoors. They are perfectly suitable for camping, RVs, trucks, etc.
- Simple to install: These toilets are simple to install and require no plumbing to function.
- Free compost: Waste converts into compost that works as fertilizer for your garden or fuel for the home. It can also be converted into odorless natural gas by combining it with other natural bio-combustibles in a methane generator.
5 Best Composting Toilets
The self-composting toilet from Nature’s Head is designed with close quarters and a spider design handle. It is self-contained and portable. You can use it anywhere, even where electricity or plumbing is unavailable. It is ideal for camping, RVing, barns, trucks, and workshops. The holding tank does not give out a foul odor. The system includes a fan with low volume for air circulation. The rugged stainless hardware is durable.
- Easy to install
- No maintenance required
- Easy emptying
- Huge capacity
- Not suitable for humid climates
Nature’s Head composting toilet comes with a standard crank handle. The crank agitator in the base helps in rapid composting. The system includes a vent hose, bottle cap, and a 12V power plug. It is a lightweight and compact unit that fits any small house, cabin, RV, or boat. The toilet has stainless and robust hardware construction and can withstand harsh conditions.
- Easy to install
- Molded design
- Includes five-inch vent hose
- Might collect gnat eggs
You can use this advanced and hassle-free composting toilet for on-grid or off-grid living conditions. Its operating unit works on AC (standard house) or DC (solar or battery) power. Designed with a single-speed fan, it vents up to 20ft. The unit includes ten compostable bags, one lidded waste container, and a child seat. The urine is plumbed to a holding tank, while the solids and paper waste are held in a compostable liner bag in a separate holding area.
- Diverts urine
- Includes fan for ventilation
- Intertec ETL certification
- May be relatively bulky
The outdoor and indoor Vingli toilet comes with a removable inner bucket and detachable paper holder. It is compact and lightweight and is suitable for RVs, boats, camping, etc. It is made of PP material that is easy to transport and store. The unit can be used as one-piece or detachable into two. It has a dual lid seal to minimize odor. The inner bucket is removable for easy emptying, and the bottom has an anti-slip line. This toilet includes a toilet paper holder and mobile phone holder.
- Hidden handle
- Comfortable height
- Wide base
- Less frequent emptying
- Might wobble
If you are looking for a self-contained composting toilet, the Sun-Mar Excel toilet could be the pick. It is suitable for continuous residential usage. It features a two-inch vent to keep the surroundings clean and odor-free. This toilet is waterless and planet-friendly.
- Water-free system
- Suitable for a family of five
- Crank handle might break
What to Consider While Buying A Composting Toilet?
Here are a few points to consider to choose the best composting toilet.
- Hygiene: Choose the toilet with a vent, a fan for air circulation, and is odor-free.
- Versatility: Some toilets may need additives, while some need bio-waste from the kitchen. It is worthwhile to buy a versatile composting toilet.
- Ease of use: This is the frequency the tank requires to be emptied or the sorting of urine vs hard waste. You should also study the method of composting and after composting to use it correctly.
- Convenience and portability: You can use some toilets while sitting and standing while others only while sitting. Choose one ideal with both. These toilets are portable and can be used indoors and outdoors. Make sure they are compact, lightweight, and spill-proof.
- Material and installation: Pick a toilet that is easy to install and is made of durable material to withstand harsh conditions. The material should also be smell-proof and stain-proof for maximum cleanliness.
- Ecological effects: Some composting toilets are powered by electricity while others by battery or solar energy. Pick a toilet that is eco-friendly in every way.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where should I empty a composting toilet?
Compost toilets need to be emptied into compost piles.
2. Can you poop in a composting toilet?
Yes, you can poop in a composting toilet. With proper heat and time, the poop gets composted and is rich in nutrients.
3. Do you put toilet paper in a composting toilet?
Yes, you can put a toilet in a composting toilet. Some toilet papers decompose faster than others, depending on the paper’s thickness, ply, or dyes. Marine or RV-rated toilet paper is recommended for a composting toilet.
Composting toilets help treat human waste through decomposition and evaporation. As a result, they’re an eco-friendly alternative to their conventional counterparts. They help you save water as they don’t depend on water to operate, and they’re extremely easy to install as well. When choosing one, consider its portability and ease of use and ensure it comes with a vent to ensure hygiene. And as they are powered by solar energy and electricity, among other sources, factor in your convenience when investing in one.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Our team of established writers and editors have listed the best composting toilets that you can choose from if you have a garden. We have explored several websites to learn more about composting toilets and considered several product reviews and ratings to bring you this list. Furthermore, we have mentioned the benefits of these toilets and provided you with a buying guide to help you make an informed choice.