It’s good to help children develop an affinity for preparing meals from a young age by introducing them to some of the best cooking kits for kids. Cooking kits are a safe and fun way to indulge in food-related games, as they come with various features that simulate a real cooking experience. They could also have make-believe cooking play dates with friends for a good time.
The cooking kits we have listed here are ideal for children and come with an assortment of accessories to keep your little one busy and learning for hours on end.
13 Best Cooking Kits For Kids To Buy
1. Best Non-Toxic: FUNERICA Toddler Play Kitchen Accessories Set
This kit comes with an apron, chef hat, mini stainless steel play pots, pans, and some toy vegetables. Once your child is done playing, all the utensils and vegetables can be stored in a storage box. The tools and vegetables are non-toxic. This set is suitable for kids aged three years and above.
- The accessories are durable, crush-resistant, and easily washable.
- The storage box has two locks so the toys do not fall out.
- The utensils are made from stainless steel, just like real cooking vessels.
- Vegetables make real cutting sounds when sliced with a play knife because they come with hook-and-loop fasteners.
- Playing with kitchen tools may help improve your child’s hand and eye coordination
- The apron and chef hat are gender-neutral in color, so they are suitable for girls and boys.
- Tad bit expensive compared to cheaper kits available in the market.
2. Best For Versatile Cuisine: Play Circle by Battat
This kitchen starter kit for kids is designed for those aged three years and above. This pretend-play cookware comes equipped with colorful pots, pans, tools, and other utensils. There is nearly no cuisine that your child cannot pretend to play cooking.
- The plastic cake whisk spins for real with the help of a knob.
- It comes with tools like a pizza cutter and multiple cookie cutters.
- All toys in the set are free of lead, BPA, and phthalate.
- This cooking set is made entirely out of recyclable plastic.
- It is easily washable.
- The toys cannot be washed in a dishwasher.
- The storage bin has no lid.
3. Best Functional: JaxoJoy Complete Kids Cooking and Baking Set
It is the complete culinary kit for kids who dream of becoming a great chef. With the pretty pink apron, chef’s hat, and oven mitt, she will surely look and feel like a serious chef. This set also contains a rolling pin, a whisk, a wooden spoon, and cookie cutters. It is suitable for kids aged three years and above.
- The utensils and tools are all functional. They can be used to create real cookies, even by adults.
- The apron is stretchable and comes with frilly edges that look adorable.
- Utensils have been tested in accordance with CPSIA and ASTM standards.
- It comes with a book containing simple recipes.
- It helps expand your child’s creative thinking by involving them in real-life kitchen work.
- The apron could have been made available in more gender-neutral colors.
- Some parents felt that the product is not long-lasting.
4. Best Dishwasher-Friendly: Curious Chef Child Chef Textile Kit
It is an 11-piece cooking kit that contains kitchen essentials such as a measuring spoon, whisk, cookie-cutter, poly spoon, and mixing spatula. This kids’ cooking set is designed for a cooking enthusiast aged four years and above.
- The utensils can be washed in a dishwasher.
- The adjustable apron can fit little kids too.
- It is suitable for girls and boys
- All items are free from BPA.
- You can get the set in three color options.
- The product is manufactured conforming to the US Consumer Products Safety Commission requirements of safe lead and phthalate limits.
- Parents did not find the apron durable since it fell apart with a single wash.
5. Best For Ages Three And Above: Battat – Deluxe Kitchen – Pretend Play Accessory Toy Set
This 71-piece cooking utensil kit for kids promotes pretend play as your child serves food with all the fancy cutlery toys that come in the set. It is colorful and suitable for kids aged three years and above.
- It comes with multiple cup-and-saucer pairs, along with spoons for stirring.
- All the toys are made of durable plastic and are resistant to breaking.
- You can wash the toys in a dishwasher.
- The toys in the cooking set are free of BPA, phthalate, and lead.
- The assortment of colors makes the set attractive.
- The plates and other accessories in the set may come across as too small for older children.
6. Best Recyclable: Curious Chef 30-Piece Chef Caddy Collection
If you are unsure what kind of cooking your child enjoys the most, this chef-inspired cooking kit for kids is your safest bet. It contains all the items your little chef might need while working in a kitchen. This cooking set can be used by kids aged four years and above. This video offers a more detailed explanation of the product.
- The set has several kitchen tools, including measuring spoons, a whisk, tongs, a pizza cutter, and knives.
- The cutlery caddy comes with a rotating, non-slip base that makes it easy to use.
- All the toys are made from recyclable material and do not contain BPA.
- You can wash the toys conveniently in a dishwasher.
- A few buyers did not find the toy durable and observed that the plastic tends to break easily when subjected to pressure.
7. Best Realistic: Hape Playfully Delicious Chefs Cooking Set
The Hape chef’s cooking kit has realistic-looking and functional cooking tools that can make your child feel like a professional chef. This children’s cooking kit includes seven pieces of basic kitchen equipment: a rolling pin, a whisk, a cooking pan, a cooking pot, a lid, and two wooden spatulas. So gather your little one to make some delicious dishes.
- The tools are made of durable stainless steel and solid wood.
- They are the ideal size for little hands.
- Each piece is non-toxic and child-friendly.
- The set is suitable for children aged three years and up.
- Some might not like the excessive plastic packaging.
8. Best For Realistic Experience: FUNERICA Pretend Play Food Set for Kids
If you wish to introduce your child to a balanced diet, this junior chef cooking kit can come in handy. This cooking kit comes with kitchen tools and toy fruits, vegetables, fish, and meat. This set is designed to suit kids aged three years and above. Check out this product review video to learn more.
- The cuttable food items come with a hook-and-loop fastener to make a cutting sound.
- There is a cutting board and plastic knife to simulate a realistic food-chopping experience.
- The utensils and serving spoons are made from stainless steel.
- The accessories are durable, crush-resistant, and easily washable.
- The storage box has two locks so the toys do not fall out.
- There is a variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian play foods in the set.
- The cutting board is too small and holds only one item at a time
- Parents felt that the quality of the plastic could have been a bit better.
9. Best Crush-Resistant: Play Pots and Pans Toys for Kids by Yellora
This realistic cooking set contains stainless steel pots, pans, and other kitchen essentials for the perfect pretend play. It also includes an oven mitt and a small bag to store the toys post a playing session. It is suitable for kids aged three years and above.
- The utensils are made with hand-polished stainless steel.
- The toys are designed to feel like real utensils.
- The stainless steel brings durability and resistance to breakage.
- The set ships with a cloth bag to store the tiny utensils in one place.
- The toy kitchen tools are easily washable with soap
- The items are made in accordance with US toy standards and are non-toxic.
- Parents felt that the tools were smaller than they had expected.
- A few buyers noticed that the handles are not firmly fixed, thus causing them to break if subjected to excess pressure.
10. Best Easy-To-Use: Curious Chef TCC50091 27-Piece Foundation Set
It is an advanced cooking kit suitable for kids aged five years and above. It contains 27 essential kitchen tools for your child to cook a tasty meal for you.
- The accessories are made from high-quality stainless steel and plastic.
- The apron is adjustable and comes with pockets.
- The outer packaging features an easy-to-follow recipe for the child.
- All the items in the cooking set are dishwasher safe.
- It is free from BPA.
- The cooking tools have all cleared ASTM F963 and CPSIA standards for safe lead and phthalate limits.
- The gender-neutral color theme makes the kit suitable for both girls and boys.
- This cooking set for kids may come across as pricey compared to other options available in the market.
11. Best Child-Safe: iPlay, iLearn Kids Kitchen Pretend Play Toys
This 19-piece kitchen cooking set comes with cooking tools and ingredients for kids. The ingredients include toy fruits and veggies, and the kitchen items consist of a tea kettle, a frying pan, a pressure cooker, and a cooking pot with a lid. It is suitable for children aged three years and above.
- Fruits and vegetables come with a hook-and-loop fastener, so they cut with a cutting sound.
- The colorful toy fruits and vegetables could help improve color recognition.
- Every item in this cooking kit has passed all CPSC tests, so your kids can safely play with these tiny play pots and pans.
- The cooking activities for kids could help to improve hand and eye coordination
- The toy is suitable for both girls and boys
- Some buyers noted that the toy’s plastic tends to get scratched and dented easily.
12. Best BPA-Free: KIDAMI 13 Pieces Kitchen Pretend Toys
This 13 piece unisex pretend cooking set consists of essential pots and pans used in cooking. It is designed to suit kids aged one year and above. It means you need not worry about your toddler using the pot as a hammer as it is sturdy enough to withstand it.
- All items are made from hand-polished stainless steel, which makes the set durable and break-resistant.
- The toys are non-toxic.
- The stainless steel construction makes it convenient to wash the toys by hand.
- The handles are tightly riveted into the pans and pots for rigidity.
- You can buy the kit with colored utensils or as a bundle of plain steel utensils and toy food.
- Many parents felt that the size of the toy utensils is too small even by children’s toy standards.
13. Best Food-Grade: WeeSprout Little Chef Kids Cooking & Baking Set
Get this 14-piece cooking and baking set with a variety of spatulas, whisks, knives, chopping board, recipe cards, and mitts and apron, to encourage your little chef and make good memories with them in the kitchen. These realistic yet child-friendly kitchen tools are made of non-toxic, food-grade materials and are safe for your child to use.
- The utensils are the ideal size for little hands.
- The carrying box makes for neat and convenient storage.
- Three blank recipe cards allow your child to write new recipes.
- The rounded tips and edges ensure the safety of your child.
- The set can help improve your child’s hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills.
- The silicone utensils are dishwasher-safe.
- The cutting board may not be durable enough.
- The carrying box does not have a lid.
How To Choose The Right Cooking Set For Kids?
You could keep the following points in mind when shopping for cooking sets for kids.
- Speciality: Cooking sets for kids could be modeled around a particular theme or cuisine. For instance, those intended for baking pretend play come with a toy baking tray, gloves, chef’s hat, and so on. Pick a cooking set depending on what cuisine or food specialty your child wants to recreate during their playtime.
- Accessories: Check the accessories that you get in the cooking kit. For instance, some kits contain an apron, a pair of gloves, and a recipe book, while some may only provide a few utensils. Choose as per your child’s preference.
- Safety: Prefer healthy cooking sets for kids that are BPA-free, made of non-toxic material, easy to clean, and conform to US standards. The pans and pots must be sturdy too.
- Age limit: Every cooking set mentions the age limit for the kit. The age limit should be considered to determine the suitability for your kid. It helps keep playtime safe.
Heather Welch, a mom, educator, play advocate, and developer of educational toys, says, “Cooking is a great way to bond with your children. Encourage them to help you with preparing snacks or even suggest healthy options. With their own cooking sets, they will love to help you in the kitchen when preparing meals or even baking cakes or cookies.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is an experienced writer and researcher with a keen interest in reviewing gifts and children’s toys. She has compiled this well-researched list of the best cooking kits for kids after analyzing the features of several kits. She has made her selection based on factors such as material quality, durability, and additional accessories. She has also included a buying guide to assist you in picking the right cooking kit for your child.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can kids prepare recipes from the cooking sets on their own?
Cooking sets are designed to promote role play in your child. However, being very small, they may be less suitable for actual cooking.
2. Are cooking sets for kids customizable?
Some manufacturers offer customizable aprons and caps. You can customize the size as per your little one’s size.
3. How does playing with cooking kits help my child?
Playing with cooking sets can help your child learn basic math skills, promote vocabulary, and explore their senses (3).
Cooking is a life skill that comes in handy at every stage of life. Teaching children cooking at a younger age can be a big step towards independence and make them recognize and appreciate the hard work that goes into preparing food. So, to get them to familiarize themselves with the concept of cooking, buying them a cooking set can be a great idea. However, ensure to consider its safety measures and select themed cooking sets to make it more interesting for your little one.
Infographic: Advantages Of Cooking And Kitchen Play
Indulging in cooking and kitchen role-play, as well as exploring kitchen utensils safely, not only allows children to enact real-life scenarios but also leads to various benefits. To learn about these advantages, check out the following infographic, which lists the physical, cognitive, and sensory benefits of cooking and kitchen play for toddlers.
- Cooking with Kids Positively Affects Fourth Graders’ Vegetable Preferences and Attitudes and Self-Efficacy for Food and Cooking.
- Parent Tips: Getting Kids in the Kitchen – NHLBI – NIH
- Cooking With Preschoolers
- Best Transformer Toys for Kids:
- Best Play Tents for Kids:
- Best Building Sets for Kids:
- Best Bowling Balls for Kids: