Not knowing how to cook can pose a serious challenge to your independence as an adult. Hence, it’s good to help children develop an affinity for preparing meals from a young age by introducing them to some of the best cooking kits for kids.
Cooking kits are a safe and fun way to indulge in food-related games, as they come with various features that simulate a real cooking experience. They could also have make-believe cooking play dates with friends for a good time.
The cooking kits we have listed here are ideal for children and come with an assortment of accessories to keep your little one busy and learning for hours on end.
Our Top Picks
13 Best Cooking Kits For Kids To Buy
1. Best Non-Toxic: FUNERICA Toddler Play Kitchen Accessories Set
It comes with an apron, chef hat, mini stainless steel play pots, pans, and some toy vegetables. Once your child is done playing all the utensils and vegetables can be stored in a storage box. The tools and vegetables are non-toxic. This set is suitable for kids aged three years and above.
- The accessories are durable, crush-resistant, and easily washable.
- The storage box comes with two locks, so the toys do not fall out.
- The utensils are made from stainless steel just like real cooking vessels.
- Vegetables come with a hook-and-loop fastener to make an authentic cutting sound when slicing with a play knife.
- Playing with kitchen tools may help improve your child’s hand and eye coordination
- The apron and chef hat is of gender-neutral color so suitable for girls and boys.
- Tad bit expensive compared to cheaper kits available in the market.
2. Best For Versatile Cuisine: Play Circle by Battat
A kitchen set designed for kids aged three years and above. This pretend play cookware comes equipped with colorful pots, pans, tools, and other utensils. There is nearly no cuisine that your child cannot pretend play cooking.
- The plastic cake whisk spins for real with the help of a knob.
- It comes with tools like a pizza cutter and multiple cookie cutters.
- All toys in the set are free of lead, BPA, and phthalate.
- This cooking set is made entirely out of recyclable plastic.
- It is easily washable.
- The toys cannot be washed in a dishwasher.
- The storage bin has no lid.
3. Best Functional: JaxoJoy Complete Kids Cooking and Baking Set
It is the complete cooking kit for your little girl who dreams of becoming a great chef. With the pretty pink apron, chef’s hat, and oven mitt, she will surely look and feel like a serious chef. This set also contains a rolling pin, a whisk, a wooden spoon, and cookie cutters. It is suitable for kids aged three years and above.
- The utensils and tools are all functional. It can be used to create real cookies even by adults.
- The apron is stretchable and comes with frilly edges that look adorable.
- Utensils have been tested in accordance with CPSIA and ASTM standards.
- It comes with a book containing simple recipes.
- It helps expand the creative thinking of your child by having them involved in real-like kitchen work.
- The apron could have been made available in more gender-neutral colors.
- Some parents felt that the product is not long-lasting.
4. Best Dishwasher-Friendly: Curious Chef Chef’s Kit
It is an 11-piece cooking kit that contains kitchen essentials such as measuring spoon, whisk, cookie-cutter, poly spoon, and mixing spatula. This cooking set is designed for a cooking enthusiast aged four years and above.
- The utensils can be washed in a dishwasher.
- The adjustable apron can fit little kids too.
- It is suitable for girls and boys
- All items are free from BPA.
- You can get the set in three color options.
- The product is manufactured conforming to the US Consumer Products Safety Commission requirements of safe lead and phthalate limits.
- Parents did not find the apron durable since it fell apart with a single wash.
5. Best For Ages Three And Above: Battat – Deluxe Kitchen – Pretend Play Accessory Toy Set
This 71-piece cooking kit lets the child pretend play serving food with all the fancy cutlery toys that come in the set. This colorful kitchen cooking set is suitable for kids aged three years and above.
- It comes with multiple cups and saucer pairs along with spoons for stirring.
- All the toys are made with durable plastic and are resistant to breaking.
- You can wash the toys in a dishwasher.
- The toys in the cooking set are free of BPA, phthalate, and lead.
- The assortment of colors makes the set attractive.
- The plates and other accessories in the set may come across as too small for older children.
6. Best Recyclable: Curious Chef 30-Piece Chef Caddy Collection
If you are unsure of what kind of cooking your child enjoys the most, then this cooking kit is your safest bet. It contains all the items that your little chef might need while working in a kitchen. This cooking set can be used by kids aged four years and above. This video offers a more detailed explanation of the product.
- There are several kitchen tools in the set, including measuring spoons, whisk, tongs, pizza cutter, and knives.
- The cutlery caddy comes with a rotating, non-slip base that makes it easy to use.
- All the toys are made from recyclable material and do not contain BPA.
- You can wash the toys conveniently in a dishwasher.
- A few buyers did not find the toy durable and observed that the plastic tends to break easily when subjected to pressure.
7. Best Stainless Steel: ToyerBee Pretend Play Toys, 17PCS Kitchen Play Accessories Set
The highlight of the set is the storage rack that allows you to stack the cutleries in an organized manner. This cooking set is an interesting gift for kids aged two years and above.
- The utensils in the kitchen set are made from stainless steel, which brings durability.
- All toy items are made from high-quality materials and hold a one-year warranty
- Vegetables are made from multiple pieces attached together by hook-and-loop fastener. It provides a sound effect when the vegetables are chopped.
- The storage rack could help teach children better organization of tools.
- The cooking set is suitable for both girls and boys.
- Some buyers did not like the quality of materials, and rough handling may cause the toys to break.
8. Best For Realistic Experience: FUNERICA Pretend Play Food Set for Kids
If you wish to introduce your child to the concept of a balanced diet, then this cooking kit for kids can come handy. This cooking kit comes not just with kitchen tools but also toy fruits, vegetables, fish, and meat. This set is designed to suit kids aged three years and above. Check out this product review video to learn more.
- The cuttable food items come with a hook-and-loop fastener to make a cutting sound.
- There is a cutting board and plastic knife to simulate a realistic food-chopping experience.
- The utensils and serving spoons are made from stainless steel.
- The accessories are durable, crush-resistant, and easily washable.
- The storage box comes with two locks, so the toys do not fall out.
- There is a variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian play foods in the set.
- The cutting board is too small and holds only one item at a time
- Parents felt that the quality of the plastic could have been a bit better.
9. Best Crush-Resistant: Play Pots and Pans Toys for Kids by Krato
This realistic cooking set contains stainless steel pots, pans, and other kitchen essentials for the perfect pretend play. It also includes an oven mitt and a small bag to store the toys post a playing session. It is suitable for kids aged three years and above.
- The utensils are made with hand-polished stainless steel. The toys are designed to feel like real utensils
- The stainless steel brings durability and resistance to breakage.
- The set ships with a cloth bag to store the tiny utensils at one place.
- The toy kitchen tools are easily washable with soap
- The items are made in accordance with US toy standards and are non-toxic.
- Parents felt that the tools are smaller than they had expected.
- A few buyers noticed that the handles are not firmly fixed, thus causing them to break if subjected to excess pressure.
10. Best Easy-To-Use: Curious Chef TCC50091 27-Piece Foundation Set
It is an advanced cooking kit suitable for kids aged five years and above. It contains 27 essential kitchen tools for your child to cook a tasty meal for you.
- The accessories are made from high-quality stainless steel and plastic.
- The apron is adjustable and comes with pockets.
- The outer packaging features an easy-to-follow recipe for the child.
- All the items in the cooking set are dishwasher safe.
- It is free from BPA.
- The cooking tools have all cleared ASTM F963 and CPSIA standards for safe lead and phthalate limits.
- The gender-neutral color theme makes the kit suitable for both girls and boys.
- This cooking set for kids may come across as pricey when compared to other options available in the market.
11. Best Child-Safe: iPlay, iLearn Kids Kitchen Pretend Play Toys
This 19-piece kitchen cooking set comes with plastic cooking tools along with toy fruits and veggies. The kitchen items include a tea kettle, a frying pan, pressure cooker, and a cooking pot with a lid. It is suitable for children aged three years and above.
- Fruits and vegetables come with a hook-and-loop fastener, so it cuts with a cutting sound.
- The colorful toy fruits and vegetables could help improve color recognition.
- Every item in this cooking kit has passed all of the CPSC tests so your kids can safely play with these tiny play pots and pans.
- The cooking activity could help to improve hand and eye coordination
- The toy is suitable for both girls and boys
- Some buyers noted that the toy’s plastic tends to get scratched and dented easily.
12. Best BPA-Free: KIDAMI 13 Pieces Kitchen Pretend Toys
This 13 piece unisex pretend cooking set consists of essential pots and pans used in cooking. It is designed to suit kids aged one year and above. It means you need not worry your toddler using the pot as a hammer as it is sturdy enough to withstand it.
- All items are made from hand-polished stainless steel, which makes the set durable and break-resistant.
- The toys are non-toxic.
- The stainless steel construction makes it convenient to wash the toys by hand.
- The handles are tightly riveted into the pans and pots for rigidity.
- You can buy the kit with colored utensils or as a bundle of plain steel utensils and toy food.
- Many parents felt that the size of the toy utensils is too small even by children’s toy standards.
13. Best Professional Setup: MasterChef Junior Cooking Essentials Set
This cooking set for kids is inspired by the show ‘MasterChef Junior. You get a cutting board, a mixing bowl, measuring cups, and just about everything that your future Master Chef shall need in a real kitchen. Suitable for kids aged six years and above this kit is a good way to train your little ones.
- It comes with three recipe cards to help your child make some tasty food.
- A blank recipe card allows your child to note a secret recipe or write their very own recipe.
- The cutleries come with non-slip silicone grips.
- The bright orange apron is gender-neutral and washable.
- It is an official licensed MasterChef product. Therefore, you will find the MasterChef logo from the show on the box, apron, tools, and recipe cards.
- Being a licensed product, it may come across as pricey compared to other cooking kits with a similar set of tools.
- Many parents expected the tools to be useful in real cooking, but it cannot handle hot food.
What To Look For In A Cooking Set For Kids?
You could keep the following points in mind while shopping for cooking sets:
- Speciality: Cooking sets for kids could be modeled around a particular theme or cuisine. For instance, those intended for baking pretend play come with a toy baking tray, gloves, chef’s hat, and so on. Pick a cooking set depending on what cuisine or food specialty your child wants to recreate during their playtime.
- Accessories: Check the accessories that you get in the cooking kit. For instance, some kits contain an apron, a pair of gloves, and a recipe book while some may only provide a few utensils. Choose as per your child’s preference.
- Safety: Prefer cooking sets that are BPA-free, made of non-toxic material, easy to clean, and conform to US standards. The pans and pots must be sturdy too.
- Age limit: Every cooking set mentions the age limit for the kit. The age limit should be considered to determine the suitability for your kid. It helps keep playtime safe.
In the next section, we provide a list of the best cooking kits that you could consider for your child.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is an experienced writer and researcher with a keen interest in reviewing gifts and children’s toys. She has compiled this well-researched list of the best cooking kits for kids after analyzing the features of several kits. She has made her selection based on factors such as material quality, durability, and additional accessories. She has also included a buying guide to assist you in picking the right cooking kit for your child.
Cooking is a life skill that comes in handy at every stage of life. Teaching children cooking at a younger age can be a big step towards independence and make them recognize and appreciate the hard work that goes into preparing food. So, to get them to familiarise themselves with the concept of cooking, buying them a cooking set can be a great idea. However, ensure to consider its safety measures and select themed cooking set to make it more interesting for your little one.
- Best Transformer Toys for Kids:
- Best Play Tents for Kids:
- Best Building Sets for Kids:
- Best Bowling Balls for Kids: