Managing children and work is not so easy for working mothers. It is even more difficult to store milk for breastfeeding babies. This post has compiled a list of the best coolers for traveling with breast milk.
Coolers for preserving breast milk are essential, especially for working, traveling, and on-the-go women. They make storing and maintaining consistent temperature for breast milk easier and more convenient to feed your infant at any time and place, regardless of whether you are available or not.
Read on to know the details of the finest coolers for traveling with breastmilk, so you don’t have to stress about feeding your baby.
11 Best Coolers For Traveling With Breastmilk In 2023
Every mom’s best friend, the expert-approved Medela Breastmilk Cooler set comes in a pack of four 150ml bottles. It’s perfect for mothers who are in search of a cooler for traveling with breast milk. Besides four breast milk bottles, this tried-and-tested cooling baby bottle bag includes a contoured ice pack that is shaped to fit around the milk bottles perfectly. The bottles are dishwasher-friendly and are marked with easy-to-read volume measurements.
- Safe and BPA-free breastmilk cooler
- Compatible with most breast pumps
- Widely compatible breast pump bag
- Ice packs keep the breast milk fresh for up to 12 hours
- Cooler bag made with PVC-free microfiber material
- Bottles might warp during sterilization
One of the best travel coolers for breastmilk storage, the Pack It Freezable Baby Bottle Cooler takes your stress away from breast milk storage for your baby. This safe and effective bottle cooler bag for traveling with breast milk needs no ice packs and chills up to four bottles that have a storage capacity of about five ounces each. The most unique feature of this mommy-approved cooler for breast milk is that it is built with a patented cooling technology using a freezable gel. This gel is permanently attached to the bag so you’ll never need to buy separate ice packs again. All you have to do is flatten it and freeze overnight for up to 12 hours. Check out this video showcasing the reviewer’s experience of the product.
- Easy to use and store
- Contains a zip-top closure that locks in cool air
- Made with non-toxic poly canvas
- Free from PVC, BPA, lead, and phthalate
- The lining is food safe and water-resistant
- Does not include bottles
- Might not stay cool for too long
Separated by compartments and ruled by long-lasting cooling, the Sarah Wells Breastmilk Cooler Bag stands for the pumping community of mothers. This mom-approved breast milk bag fits up to four eight-ounce storage bottles and even a mason jar. They are rigorously tested and designed to keep breast milk cold for up to eight hours depending on the external temperature. If you want it to last longer, all you have to do is add more ice packs to the cooler bag. You can also check out this video showcasing the tester’s experience to make an informed decision.
- Stylish and super functional
- Extra storage compartments
- Adjustable breast milk cooler with a detachable handle buckle
- Made with premium easy-to-clean material
- Free of PVC, BPA, lead, and phthalates
- The ice pack might be less durable
Medela Breast milk Cooler
Pack It Freezable Baby Bottle Cooler
Best With Cooling Technology
Sarah Wells Breast milk Cooler Bag
|Color||Multi||Polka Dots||Le floral|
|Material||BPA Free, Phthalate Free, Latex Free, Lead Free||Nontoxic Gel and Gel Liner||Polyester, Nylon|
|Weight||1.1 pounds||1.32 pounds||0.68 Kilograms|
|Dimensions||5.5"W x 6.75"H||7.25 x 8.5 x 5.25 inches||6.5"D x 6.5"W x 6.5"H|
4. Best Airtight: Nanobébé Breastmilk Baby Bottle Cooler & Travel Bag
Keep breast milk fresh to feed your baby on the go with this breastmilk cooler with bottle storage. The tried-and-tested airtight cooler for breast milk has ample storage space and a three-layered insulated lining that keeps your breast milk cold or warm for an extended period. In this cooler, you can store up to three Nanobébé baby bottles and additional essentials such as pacifiers and bottle nipples in the interior mesh pocket. You can also wipe-clean this cooler or wash it in a washing machine for quick and deep cleaning, making it a trusted choice for busy parents.
- Can be strapped to a stroller or diaper bag
- Spill-proof design
- Two-way zippers
- Comes with an ice pack
- Machine washable
- Ice pack may be smaller than expected
- Strap might be a little flimsy
Different from other breast milk cool bags, the J.L. Childress Maxi COOL Breastmilk Cooler is slim and sleek. It is fully insulated and comes with a snap closure. The freezer bags have reusable ice packs and make for great breast milk storage bags. Offered by a trusted brand, the breast milk bag also acts as an insulated lunch box because the freezer bags keep food fresh for hours, offering versatility. Its slim design makes it a great travel bag to fit in diapers or other baby essentials.
- Inner lining leak-proof material
- Lining fabric is free from lead, phthalate, and PVC
- Snap handle can be attached to a stroller
- Heat-sealed lining to avoid odors and mildew build-up
- Might be small
With an insulated cooler bag that holds not just one but two sippy cups, the Skip Hop Insulated Breast milk Cooler is trendy and keeps you ready for a long day out with your baby. This mom-approved insulated breast milk cooler with zippered closure includes a freezer pack, a mesh pocket on the inside for storage, and can hold two large bottles or two sippy cups. Moreover, the bag’s long strap allows you to attach it to your baby’s stroller or car seat with ease.
- The lining is insulated and is easily wipeable
- Adjustable strap for convenience
- Made with materials free of BPA and phthalates
- Two-way zippers for easy loading and unloading
- Keeps fresh breast milk cold for up to 4 hours
- Ice pack might be too small
7. Best Space-Saving: Dr. Brown’s Fold & Freeze Bottle Tote
Here’s an easy-to-clean bottle tote by Dr. Brown’s. It can hold up to six baby bottles for multiple feedings, and the easy-to-clean design makes it easy to maintain. Place the reusable ice pack around the bag of breast milk, fold it flat, and store it in the freezer for 12 hours before using the bag to keep the contents fresh and cool for hours. The breast milk cooler tote’s space-saving design is a welcome feature, allowing parents to keep all the essentials readily available.
- Water-resistant material
- Zip closure to seal the freshness
- Entire cooler is free of BPA, PVC, and phthalates
- Available in two colors
- Might not be lightweight
- Material might be thin
8. Best With Compartments: Idaho Jones Insulated Breastmilk Cooler Bag
This safe and effective cooler for breast milk by Idaho Jones is an excellent product for breastfeeding moms who need to pump and store their milk when away from home. The insulated design helps keep milk at a safe temperature. The small compartments in the travel cooler bag for breastmilk ensure the baby milk bottles stay upright and prevent spills and messes. Add an ice pack, and you can keep four eight-ounce milk bottles fresh and cool for up to eight hours. In addition, the dad-and-mom-approved bag features a top handle and two tactical side handles for easy portability and convenience.
- Waterproof interior
- Dedicated sleeves for ice packs
- Compact design
- Classic color
- Easy to clean
- Extra pockets on the side
- Does not include an ice pack
- Might not fit some bulky or larger bottles
9. Best Multifunctional: Jax 2020 Breastmilk Cooler Bag
This breast milk cooler bag from Jax 2020 offers high convenience for breastfeeding moms while commuting to work and on road trips, vacations, and more. It measures 7.2 x 7.2 x 9 inches, which is large enough to hold tall breast milk bottles upright, preventing spilling and maintaining the milk quality. Further, the spacious single-compartment bag can store up to six breastmilk storage bags and has an inbuilt elastic band with a snap-on closure for enhanced use of storage capacity. Its inner mesh pocket can hold an ice pack, which helps keep the breast milk bottles cold and fresh for hours. The adjustable shoulder strap further adds to its convenience and comfort.
- Easy-to-wipe base
- Insulated aluminum lining
- Adjustable and removable shoulder straps
- Available in four colors
- Has an extra pocket for storage
- Shoulder strap might not be wide enough
- Handle might be a bit flimsy
The double-layered breastmilk cooler by Teamoy is not just your average breast milk cooler bag. It is a shoulder bag that is made with high-quality nylon and has mesh pockets on either side for storing essentials. This safe and effective freezer pack uses hot-pressing technology that ensures a leak-proof lining, keeping breast milk hot or cold for a long time. The insulated cooler for breastmilk has a storage capacity of up to six breast milk bottles of nine ounces each and has a two-way zipper closure that makes it easy to load and unload the bottles.
- Includes reusable ice packs
- Has adjustable and removable shoulder straps
- Made with a smooth lining that is easy to clean
- Includes an extra pocket to store items like keys and phones
- Designed with an additional top compartment for extra storage
- Does not include bottles
If you’re looking for a wallet-sized solution to carry breast milk, FlexiFreeze Pocketbook Breast Milk Cooler is yours to keep. Super convenient, compact, and easy to store, this breast milk storage cooler is every working mother’s dream solution. It can be trusted by moms and dads as it has 16 ice cubes with water built right in to keep the breast milk cold. It easily fits two hospital-sized bottles and is an extremely discreet cooler bag to store and transport the breast milk.
- Contains real, purified, 100% water that is more effective than gel
- Freezable breast milk cooler
- Wallet sized and portable breastmilk cooler
- Can be placed in your handbag or purse
- Durable, compact, and convenient
- Cannot use to store larger quantities
How Long Can Frozen Breast milk Stay Fresh For?
Breast milk stays fresh and good for up to five days if it is chilled. However, if it is frozen milk, the thawed milk can be kept in the freezer for up to 24 hours after unfreezing. It is recommended that you don’t refreeze the milk after you defrost it. The most important thing to remember is not to microwave breast milk because it destroys its nutrients.
How To Choose The Right Cooler To Store Breast milk?
When it comes to storing breast milk, it is of utmost importance to know what kind of breast milk cooler bag you’re buying because it is for your infant. Here are a few key features to keep in mind while purchasing the best coolers for traveling with breast milk:
- Insulation – This is one of the most important features to consider because it is what keeps the breast milk fresh. Some cooler bags have a tin foil lining and others are lined with fabric that helps with insulation. While both of these have their set of advantages and disadvantages, the thing to keep in mind is to ensure that the leak-proof breastmilk cooler is heat-sealed.
- Size – Another very important feature is the size of the breast milk cooler bag. Depending on the size of your baby’s bottles, the cooler bag you choose should be able to accommodate them. If you are someone who is on the go, a compact breastmilk cooler can accommodate standard-sized baby bottles.
- Ice pack – While choosing a breast milk cooler bag, the ice pack is an important addition to consider. More importantly, if they are reusable or not. Several breast milk coolers with ice packs include extra reusable ice packs that can be frozen and placed in the bag to keep the bottles cold and the breast milk fresh.
Rachel Nelson, a child care and housekeeping specialist, says, “Choose a bag that is easy to clean just in case you have any spills. Also consider a bag with a shoulder strap that makes carrying the extra bag much easier.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
As a working mother, investing in a cooler to store breast milk is necessary, but selecting the right one among various choices can be difficult. After scouring many forums for customer reviews and thoroughly examining different products, we compiled a list of the best-quality breast milk coolers. We’ve also included product description and a purchasing guide to assist you in selecting the best breast milk cooler for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long can breast milk stay in a cooler?
According to CDC recommendations, freshly expressed or thawed breast milk can be stored in insulated cooler bags with frozen ice packs for up to 24 hours (1). Also, it is important not to refreeze the breast milk once it is thawed.
2. How should I use a breastmilk cooler bag?
Breastmilk cooler bags have insulated walls to protect the breast milk from heat. Some come with inbuilt frozen ice packs, while others may not include one and may require you to buy a reusable ice pack separately.
To use the breastmilk cooler bag, store the ice pack in the freezer overnight or for 12 hours. Next, keep the frozen ice pack in the insulated cooler along with the breastmilk bottles or packs. Make sure the bag is properly sealed without any leaks to prevent heat exposure.
3. How do I pump and store milk when traveling?
You can pump the breast milk by hand expression or by using a manual or electric breast pump. The pumped breast milk should be stored in small quantities as required for each feed in food-grade containers, such as sterilized milk bottles or sealable breastmilk storage bags.
Storing your breast milk when traveling becomes effortless when you have the right coolers designed specifically for this purpose. They provide a travel-friendly, cool, and safe storage space for your breast milk so you can feed your child on the go. When looking for the ideal cooler to store breast milk, ensure it is lined efficiently to help with insulation. Besides, a cooler must be large enough for your requirements and feature a bag with reusable ice packs that can be frozen prior to cooling the bottles. We recommend the Medela Breastmilk Cooler, which is compatible with most breast pumps, the Pack It Freezable Baby Bottle, designed with freezable gel for efficient cooling, and the Sarah Wells Breastmilk Cooler Bag for its functionality and adjustability.
Infographic: Choosing The Right Cooler For Baby Bottles
Cooler bags for milk bottles are essential for on-the-go parents, keeping milk fresh and at the perfect temperature while facilitating leakproof transit. Refer to our infographic below, highlighting key factors to consider during the selection process to help you choose the most functional and convenient cooler bag.
- Proper Storage and Preparation of Breast Milk
- Best Glass Baby Bottles
- Best Glass Water Bottles
- Best Anti Colic Bottles
- Best Bottles For Tongue-Tied Babies