A dishwasher can save you a lot of time. But it can be bulky and not fit in an average kitchen. For small and medium kitchens, a compact dishwasher that can be set up on a countertop could be a good idea. Countertop dishwashers also ensure water efficiency and suit small kitchens in an apartment or a recreational vehicle.
Countertop dishwashers may be small, but they can fit dishes or plates used by up to six people. If you are looking for the best countertop dishwasher for your kitchen, read on, as we list the top 13 countertop dishwashers and their features.
Top Products From Our List
13 Best Countertop Dishwashers
Created with a steel cavity, this dishwasher is built to last. It has a rack for dishes and a basket for cutlery, which fits up to six place settings. The control panel is user-friendly and allows the dishwasher to be set up and used effortlessly. It comes with an easy-to-install adapter to connect to a faucet. The six wash cycle settings, ranging from heavy to soak, make it easier to clean a variety of dishes. It has a dispenser that is set up to automatically distribute detergent when it is in use.
- Spacious interior
- Quickly connects to plumbing
- Adapter designed to suit standard Aerator openings
- May start dripping water from the bottom
- Controls may stop working
- Loading might be tight
If you are looking for the best countertop dishwasher with an energy star rating, then this is a suitable choice. The hOmeLabs dishwasher has a user-friendly control panel that makes it easy to use. Setting it up is also pretty simple – just attach the inlet hose to the faucet adapter and then to a faucet, plug it in, and you are good to go. It also has a dispenser that is designed to hold the rinse aid, and an indicator light to guide you in refilling the dishwasher.
- Compact and easily portable
- Fits dishes for up to six place settings
- Supports six wash cycles
- Requires less water supply
- Washes and dries dishes without scratches
- Dishes may come out with spots
- Difficult to find the right amount of soap to use
- Leaks may develop
A countertop dishwasher with a sleek design, this one from Danby has an LED display that is easy to read and use. Users can choose from the six available wash cycles ranging from intensive to soaking. Within the dishwasher, there is space for dishes, plates, and cutlery used for six settings. It is built to be easily installed and connected, and the dispenser deploys the detergent and rinse-aid automatically, cutting down the amount of manual intervention needed. It also offers energy efficiency and can be used every day.
- Long-lasting steel interior
- Easy to clean
- Sized to fit onto most countertops
- Fits within a small space for storage
- Cup for detergent may get stuck
- After-sales support may not be very helpful
Among portable dishwashers, countertop versions, such as this option from Danby, are gaining popularity. This dishwasher can be easily set up and connected to any type of faucet in your kitchen for water supply. It utilizes around 3.17 gallons of water in each cycle, which is much less than conventional dishwashing by hand. The dishwasher has a durable stainless steel shell in its interior that can be easily cleaned and maintained. It also has an internal heater and washes dishes well with hot water.
- Energy Star certified
- Fits dishes from six place-settings
- Runs without creating much noise
- Useful for washing moderate-sized pots/pans
- Timer may stop working
- Plastic coupler tends to leak
This portable dishwasher with countertop-friendly design can quickly wash your dishes and cut out unnecessary work in your kitchen. It can accommodate dishes, mugs, and cutlery used in six place-settings. It has a digital display that is easy to use and an adapter that is designed to quickly connect to standard size faucets. Its space-saving design allows it to fit easily under a cabinet in kitchens and RVs. The dishwasher consumes about 2.85 gallons per wash.
- Saves up to 61% energy compared to other dishwashers
- Comes with seven programmed wash settings
- Spray arm delivers thorough cleaning
- Water heater helps remove bacteria
- Durable steel interior
- May throw up errors frequently
- Sides may dent easily
One of the best countertop dishwashers, this one from Farberware has an onboard tank that can fit up to five liters of water. It has five programs for washing and can also be used to efficiently clean bottles for babies and wash fruit. The small countertop dishwasher is portable and has two spray arms that ensure dishes are cleaned without any residual streaks. The water hose that is included can be used to quickly connect it to the kitchen faucet.
- Air exchange available for drying
- Control panel with LED display
- Rapid 40-minute long cycle
- Water level is shown on the indicator
- Fits dishes with a diameter of 12 inches
- Adapter for faucet not included
- Customer service may not be prompt
Among mini countertop dishwashers, this is an elegant option and fits dishes used in six place-settings. It has an LED display that is easily readable and a hose that is five feet long to connect for water supply. The dishwasher can connect to faucets of standard size and fit plates with a diameter of up to 10.5 inches. You can pick one of the six wash cycles that suits your needs and time. It comes with a child-lock feature as well.
- Durable steel interior
- Easy to set up and use
- Noise level is not too high
- Cleans better compared to a normal-sized dishwasher
- Does not require much detergent
- Oil may coat dishes
- Quite heavy
Striking features, style, and an energy star rating make this countertop dishwasher an ideal choice. Its compact size means it can fit easily under most cabinets in offices, apartments, and RVs. It has a dispenser for detergent and the rinse aid, while the indicator shows when the water supply is not sufficient or when it is. It also has an indicator that provides a warning when the rinse aid needs to be refilled. The dishwasher accommodates up to six place settings.
- Durable steel interior
- Six wash options available
- Easily readable LED display
- Quickly connects to a large number of faucets
- Sides may get dented
- Water may leak from the bottom
A popular choice among mini countertop dishwashers, this is designed to fit six 10-inch plates alongside other dishes and mugs from six place settings on a dinner table. It is designed with a rack that slides out and allows for easy loading, while the overall design and shape is compact and allows it to be stored under cabinets in a kitchen. Users can access seven programs for washing and ensure that their dishes are cleaned as per their wishes. Additional features present include child-lock and a delayed start function for up to 24 hours.
- Good amount of space in the interior
- Excellent energy efficiency
- Power cord designed for quick connection
- Operates with minimum noise
- Good price point
- Takes too long to finish washing
- Dishes may require prior hand washing
A stainless steel countertop dishwasher with sleek lines, it has a durable interior and comes in an attractive shade of black. It comes with a rack for dishes, a shelf for cups, a basket for cutlery, and can easily fit up to six place-settings. Plates that are up 10.5 inches in diameter also fit easily into the dishwasher. The user interface is well set up and is easy to use, while the adapter allows for a water supply connection to be quickly made to a variety of kitchen faucets. It can also be connected easily to a hot water line.
- Energy efficiency results in 61% savings
- Water heater is inbuilt
- Does not require a permanent installation
- Dishes are easily organized within
- May leak onto the counter
- Tends to make too much noise
Ranked as a top option among small countertop dishwashers, it comes with digital control that you can use with one touch. It has a compact build and easily fits on a countertop or under cabinets in boats, college dorm rooms, and recreational vehicles. The appliance can hold dishes used in up to six table place settings, which can be placed in a rack, while the cutlery fits in a basket. The dishwasher is designed to be quickly connected and comes with seven programmed washing options.
- Speed wash setting lasts for 45 minutes
- Supports extra drying function
- Dishwasher can be set to self-clean
- Child-lock feature allows for safe operation
- Accepts pods/powder/liquid detergent
- Helpful baby care program for bottles
- Operating cost is low
- Valve for quick release on hose may be defective
- Handle may break
If you are searching for the best countertop dishwasher for your small-sized kitchen or recreational vehicle, this is a good pick. It comes with a control panel that is designed to be user-friendly and supports up to six different wash cycles. Made with a steel interior, it is durable and can be easily cleaned. It also features a water heater that can increase water temperature up to 148°F, ensuring that your dishes are free of bacteria and harmful residue. The power cord and the faucet connector are designed for easy setup.
- Good price point
- Spray arm is powerful
- Noise is not very high
- Pots/pans can also be fit into it and washed
- Adapter for sink attachment is included
- Energy consumption is less compared to similar models
- May get stuck during a wash cycle
Top-of-the-line features make this a good option among mini countertop dishwashers, and it has a spacious interior that is designed to fit up to six standard-sized place settings. The interior is made from long-lasting stainless steel, and it can be safely used to wash dishes in hot water that has a temperature of up to 148°F. The controls are easy to navigate and set up for easy cleaning of the dishes. There are six wash cycles to choose from, while the detergent and the rinse aid are automatically dispensed.
- Provides good water pressure
- Can be easily moved
- Easy to maintain and clean
- Accepts a wide variety of detergents
- Sliding rack/shelves are easy to load
- Error lights might start randomly
- Regular-sized plates do not fit
How Do Countertop Dishwashers Work?
Here is what you should know about how countertop dishwashers work.
- They are designed for temporary installation in small spaces
A countertop dishwasher needs to be attached to the sink faucet for water inflow. After the wash cycle, water is drained from these dishwashers into a sink. However, some dishwashers can be set up with a button for a bypass that routes water into them. Many portable countertop dishwashers are not meant to be permanently installed in small spaces.
Specific detergent pods or liquid has to be added to such machines for washing dishes. Most allow for a rinse aid to be used to ensure dishes are dry without spots and streaks. As heaters are present in most countertop dishwasher models, they can be used for washing bottles for babies. Also, several dishes, including moderate-sized pots/pans, can fit in them.
Some dishwashers can also be used for steaming dishes and washing vegetables. Several countertop models that are portable even have tanks for storing water and can be used outdoors if suitable power connections are available.
Benefits of Using Countertop Dishwashers
- Designed for countertops: They are designed to be placed on standard-sized kitchen countertops, fit below cabinets, and do not need a separate stand.
- Energy-efficient and cost-effective: The energy consumed by small countertop dishwashers is quite less, and most have a low operating cost, making them suitable for long-term use.
- Quick set up: They can be quickly set up and used without any tools and do not require a professional’s help.
- They require less water and detergent: Compared to full-sized dishwashers and manual dishwashing, countertop models use less water and detergent. However, dishes are washed perfectly, as they are in full-sized models.
- They are safe to use: With heaters included in countertop dishwasher models, dishes and bottles for babies are washed perfectly and are safe to use.
How to Choose the Best Countertop Dishwasher?
Here is how you should go about choosing a countertop dishwasher.
- Check the size of your dishes: Before buying a countertop dishwasher, you need to check the size of the plates that you use and ensure they fit within the interior cavity.
- Check if it fits dishes used in meals: Countertop models are designed for use by small families and can typically fit dishes, mugs, glasses, and plates used in six place settings on a dining table. Check this feature so that you can clean the dishes from one or two meals at once, and not have to run the dishwasher several times a day.
- Find out the power consumed: Some dishwashers have a better energy star rating than others. In such models, energy consumption is low, and you will not have to spend too much on electricity bills.
- Check if a tank is included: Several dishwashers that are built for portable use come with an inbuilt tank, making them useful when traveling in a recreational vehicle or camping outdoors.
- Find out the type of detergent needed: Certain brands require detergent pods, while others are more flexible and accept liquid detergent. So, check if you have access to the detergent required.
- Ensure you have enough space to install it: Ensure the power cord has enough length and measure your countertop to check if it has space to accommodate the dishwasher.
- Wash cycles to suit your needs: Cleaning bottles for babies and baby care items are not supported in some dishwashers. So, check if the wash cycles in your dishwasher have what you need.
- Ensure it can be connected to your faucet: Some mini countertop dishwashers come with adapters and can be fitted to different faucets with ease. Some may not come with an adapter, which means you have to spend extra to purchase one.
Getting the best countertop dishwasher will drastically reduce the amount of time you spend in the kitchen doing the dishes. While it cannot fit large pots/pans used for preparing meals, it is ideal for small families, single ladies, and men who do not do much cooking every day.