If you suffer from sleep apnea and wear a CPAP mask, choosing the right CPAP pillow is essential. The best CPAP pillows allow you to sleep comfortably and peacefully throughout the night. They feature contoured cut-outs that allow the mask to stay in place without leaking air or digging into your face uncomfortably.
Designed with CPAP users in mind, these pillows support your head, neck, and shoulders and let you sleep without discomfort. So, check out the options below with detailed product reviews to learn more.
What Is A CPAP Pillow?
Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) is a measure to help individuals with sleep apnea. A CPAP mask helps the user breathe freely, preventing snoring and dry mouth, nose, and eyes. However, people still get uncomfortable sleeping with a CPAP mask because standard pillows are not designed with CPAP masks in mind. A CPAP pillow features contoured cut-outs on the corners or sides to accommodate the CPAP mask, allowing the user to sleep comfortably throughout the night.
How Do CPAP Pillows Work?
CPAP pillows are specially designed for individuals who use CPAP machines for sleep apnea treatment. They have unique shapes and contours that provide proper alignment and comfort while wearing the CPAP mask. The pillows redistribute pressure on the face and head, preventing discomfort and mask leaks that can occur with regular pillows. With side cut-outs, they ensure the CPAP hose stays connected without obstruction for uninterrupted airflow. CPAP pillows also help reduce mask displacement during sleep, promoting consistent delivery of pressurized air to the airways. Made of soft, hypoallergenic materials that are gentle on the skin, these pillows reduce the risk of irritation or allergic reactions.
What Are The Benefits Of CPAP Pillows?
Here are some of the benefits of using CPAP pillows.
- Prevents air leaks: CPAP pillows are equipped with specific cut-outs that keep the CPAP mask in place throughout the night, preventing air leakage from the mask.
- Prevents tangling tubes: These pillows are typically equipped with a built-in hose tether to keep the CPAP tube in place, preventing it from tangling and obstructing your airways.
- Maintains proper alignment: CPAP pillows support the head, neck, and shoulder and ensure optimal airway and spinal alignment for a comfortable sleep.
- Ensures comfort: These pillows are usually made of memory foam that contours to your face and CPAP mask, preventing them from uncomfortably digging into your face.
5 Best CPAP Pillows
1. Best For All Sleeping Positions: EnduriMed Memory Foam CPAP Pillow
The EnduriMed CPAP pillow is constructed from soft memory foam that contours your face and mask, allowing you to sleep peacefully. The curved design and gaps in each corner allow your mask to fit correctly without worrying about tangled CPAP tubes, air leaks, or the mask biting into your face. Furthermore, thanks to the removable foam pad, you can adjust the height of the pillow according to your preference. Check out a tester’s experience in this video for a detailed review of this product.
- Two sides for smaller and larger contours
- Does not put pressure on the face
- Suitable for all sleeping positions
- Cooling design
- Also compatible with BiPAP and APAP masks
- Some nasal masks may not be compatible with this pillow
- Might not be machine-washable
2. Best Hypoallergenic:Pillows With A Purpose CPAP Pillow
Measuring 20×28 inches, this CPAP pillow features contour cut-outs that help you sleep comfortably when wearing a CPAP mask. The center dimple provides adequate neck support for side and back sleepers. This tried-and-tested pillow also comes with a pillow cover made of 100% cotton and polypropylene cooling fabric, which keeps you comfortable even on warm summer nights.
- Maintains shape after each use
- Offers firm support
- May reduce neck pain
- Hypoallergenic blown slick polyester fiber filling
- Might be thicker than expected for some people
- Pillow cover might be difficult to put on
3. Best Ergonomic Shape: Contour CPAPMax Two-In-One Cooling Plush Comfort Pillow
The two-in-one, three-layered Contour CPAP pillow features two options for sleeping peacefully during the night. You can flip it over for supportive, high-resilience memory foam that adapts to your shape, or choose the plush fiber fill side. Loved by many reviewers, its 3D CoolTec Air Layer and ventilated foam enable continuous airflow and circulation, making it appropriate for summer. With a charcoal-infused layer, this pillow will keep your CPAP clean and fresh for a long time.
- Built-in extended hose tether
- Features pressure-free zones to eliminate mask bumping and shifting
- Adjustable pillow height
- Comes with a washable and hypoallergenic cover
- Orthopedic alignment
- Edges might feel slightly uncomfortable to some people
- Might have a peculiar smell at first
EnduriMed Memory Foam CPAP Pillow
Best For All Sleeping Positions
Pillows With A Purpose CPAP Pillow
Contour CPAPMax Two-In-One Cooling Plush Comfort Pillow
Best Ergonomic Shape
|Dimensions||22.44 x 11.81 x 5.12 inches||-||-|
4. Best Machine-Washable: Contour CPAP Pillow 2.0
Contour’s CPAP pillow 2.0 is made of medical-grade high-resilience foam and is designed to provide comfortable spinal alignment for side, stomach, and back sleepers. As per the reviews, this pillow helps prevent mask leaks, mask shifting, and dry eyes, mouth, and nose. Thanks to the concave center support and inclined reinforced edge, this pillow supports your head and prevents it from sliding. In addition, it includes a removable cotton pillowcase with a hose tether opening to prevent CPAP tubes from tangling.
- Works with all mask types
- Pressure-free side cut-outs
- Custom ear depressions
- Suitable for all sleeping positions
- Machine-washable cover
- Might not be firm enough for some people
- Pillow cover might be difficult to remove for some
5. Best For Sensitive Skin: Remrest CPAP Pillow
Measuring 19.7×12.6 inches, this CPAP pillow features medium-soft memory foam, allowing you to lie flat on the pillow. Thanks to the sink-in design, your facial mask, nasal mask, or tubing hose will sit comfortably on the pillow without tangling and digging into your skin. So, you can sleep on your stomach without stressing your neck or back due to its low-profile pillow.
- Prevents air leaks
- Pillow cover is suitable for sensitive skin
- Durable zipper
- Machine-washable pillow cover
- Might be slightly smaller than expected
- Might not be lightweight
How To Choose The Right CPAP Pillow?
Apart from consulting a certified physician or healthcare professional for more personalized guidance, check out the following points when choosing the best CPAP pillow.
- Material: Choose a CPAP pillow made from memory foam so that it contours your face and mask for a pleasant night’s sleep. The material should also be breathable, hypoallergenic, and offer a cooling effect to prevent sweating and discomfort in summer.
- Adjustable height: Look for CPAP pillows that come with removable inserts so that their height can be adjusted. Pillows with adjustable height allow you to sleep in your preferred position without straining your neck and shoulders.
- Machine-washable: Consider a CPAP pillow with a machine-washable pillow cover. It saves you the hassle of cleaning it by hand.
- Additional features: Look for other features such as hose tethers, moldability, pressure-free side cut-outs, and a center dimple to enjoy a peaceful sleep.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah, our in-house reviewer of household products, has compiled this list of the best CPAP pillows based on extensive research into their features and benefits. After reading numerous reviews across platforms, he has listed the pros and cons of the pillows with detailed descriptions so that you can make an informed decision. He has also included a comprehensive buying guide to help you understand the factors to be considered when looking for a suitable pillow.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I need a prescription for a CPAP pillow?
You do not need a prescription for a CPAP pillow. A CPAP pillow can also be used by individuals looking for proper spinal alignment to relieve neck and shoulder pain. However, it’s advisable to get a personalized opinion from a certified physician before investing in one.
2. What other pillow styles are good for CPAP users?
Other than contour CPAP pillows, CPAP users can also use wedge-shaped pillows, roll pillows, hybrid pillows, pillows with holes, and adjustable shredded foam pillows.
3. How to care for my CPAP pillow?
Some CPAP pillows are recommended for handwashing, while others can be machine-washed. Most CPAP pillows include a removable and washable pillow cover that can be hand washed or machine-washed; however, other pillows are only recommended for spot cleaning. Therefore, before buying the product, carefully read the washing and care instructions for the pillow.
CPAP pillows enhance the function of CPAP masks and help people suffering from sleep apnea. The best CPAP pillows can accommodate side, back, and stomach sleepers. They keep the CPAP hose from tangling and obstructing your airways while you sleep. However, ensure its height can be adjusted to avoid straining your neck and shoulders in different sleeping positions. Furthermore, you should always check the product’s specifications and material to determine whether it’s firm or soft enough for your preference.
Infographic: What Are The Advantages Of Using CPAP Pillows?
CPAP pillows are specially designed to provide optimal comfort and support for individuals using CPAP machines for sleep apnea therapy. With their unique shape and features, CPAP pillows help reduce mask pressure and improve overall sleep quality. Check out the following infographic to discover how CPAP pillows can enhance your sleep therapy experience.