Toddlers are artistic and almost creative, like a blank canvas that is waiting to be painted. Colors are their best friends, and sometimes even the best learning partners. Thus, crayons are a great way to encourage the artistic inclination of a child while also improving their fine motor skills. If you are wondering which crayons will be the best for your toddler, then in this MomJunction post, we present the list of 15 best crayons for toddlers that you could consider buying.
15 Best Crayons For Toddlers
Made up of 100% pure New Zealand beeswax, Honeysticks offers non-toxic, chubby shaped crayons for toddlers. The shape makes it easy to hold for small hands, and the crayons are hard enough for toddlers to break. Colors are food-grade so that there is no risk even if the kid ingests it.
- Made of pure beeswax
- Good smell
- Too small to hold
- Does not leave strong color on paper
Melissa & Doug Jumbo Triangular Crayons come in ten bright colors in a handy flip-top case. The triangular shape promotes learning and improves writing. These are made up of break-resistant plastic, and not wax. These non-roll crayons are durable and will be a choice for your toddler for its handy grip.
- Durable around babies
- Triangular shape prevents rolling
- Reusable plastic case helps keep them for long
- Waxy and slippery
- Faded colors on paper
- Breaks easily
An exclusive coloring set with 50 compact twistable crayons by Crayola. They are long-lasting, do not need peeling, and non-toxic and safe for toddlers. Each color core has a plastic barrel that can be twisted up to color and twisted down to store in the box. It can be used for ages three and up.
- Plastic barrels allows color to be seen and prevents breakage.
- Do not melt in the heat
- Do not break at all
- Scent does not match with color code listed
- Not much coloring product in each pen
- Tip too thick to color within lines
Crayola offers eight large washable crayons for toddlers that are non-toxic. They are distinct as they can be wiped off almost everything; sofas chairs, tables, etc. they are smooth and easy to color. These can be wiped off with warm water and a sponge, and hence you can be tension free when your toddlers are coloring around.
- Wipeable; no worry about scribbling walls and floors
- Vivid, bright colors
- Easily breakable
- Dissolve when in contact with water
- Melt in heat
Let your little one color when they bath, let them be the true artist with Crayola Bathtub Crayons With Crayola Color Bath Drops. The bath drops are fizzing tablets that turn the water into a rainbow each time your baby is bathing.
- Both crayons and tablets are entirely washable
- Baby takes a bath easily with colored water
- Have to clean immediately to remove color stains
A fun product by Crayola; the Fun Effects Twistable Crayons make everyday learning interesting. There is a bright burst of color or mixture of colors in each crayon. There are shimmering metallic crayons, brilliant neon crayons, and beautiful rainbow colors in the pack.
- They don’t leave the leftover wax on drawings
- Do not break in the bag while traveling
- Plastic covering for protection
- No sharpening required
- Neon and metallic colors are not bright on paper
- Broad tip, not easy to stay within lines
- Have to press hard for any color to show up
For the natural grasp of a toddler, Crayola My First offers colors to fit the tiny hands. These crayons are not thin like regular crayons and give comfort to a toddler when using. The pack has six washable crayons; viz red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. One Palm grip crayon is equivalent to 14 regular crayons. The fact that they are washable makes them even more popular amongst parents as they can let their toddlers play without worrying about scribbles all over the walls and furniture.
- Egg shape is easy to hold and scribble
- AP certified and non-toxic
- Leave faint marks even after rubbing on paper
- Hollow and break easily
- Roll away the moment you put them down
Crayola keeps innovating for children of all ages. Crayola Jumbo crayons have long-lasting colors, are large enough for toddlers to hold and are hard to break. A perfect coloring tool for the young artist, this pack has primary and secondary colors. The reusable crayon storage box helps keep the mess away.
- Big and comfortable to hold
- Scrub off the wall easily
- Sloppy packaging
- Break easily
GiBot Toddler Crayons offer crayons that have a perfect size for toddlers’ little hands to hold. These painting crayons come in 12 primary colors that can also be used as building blocks to help kids learn and develop physical and thinking skills on color exploration.
- Washable with hand soap
- Smooth in writing
- Building blocks are an attraction
- Hollow, break easily
- Brittle, not durable
- Can be a choking hazard for kids if pieces break.
Rainbow colored crayons by ALEX are specially designed for your tots. The grip is easy with a star shape and an interesting texture. The shape fosters creativity and gives a good learning experience to toddlers. There are six star-shaped crayons in the pack, viz: red, blue, yellow, orange, purple, and green. Useful for kids above 18 months.
- Shape suited for a strong grip
- Do not break easily
- Vibrant colors
- Have to press hard to get colors on paper
- Very small in size, can be a choking hazard
- More of a plastic feel than crayons
Made up of non toxic natural wax, Jumbo Crayons for Toddlers is a safe product to use. It also does not contain soluble elements like asbestos or lead. These crayons are big and easy to hold. Each round crayon measures approximately 10.8cm long and 1.4cm diameter. The unique shape makes them easy to hold and is a choice of many parents for their toddlers.
- Vibrant colors
- Certified non toxic
- Unique shape for grip
- Breaks easily and can be a toxic hazard
These Durable crayons by Melissa and Doug are non-roll, triangular in shape, and promote writing skills in toddlers. The truck shape is attractive for kids and has a handy flip-top case with handle. It is perfect for carrying while traveling with toddlers.
- Durable, easy to organize
- Convenient during travel
- Triangle shape prevents rolling
- Colors are waxy and extremely muted
- Have to press hard to color
- Range of colors not enough
A product for your little princess; Melissa and Doug Princess Crayon set comes in a box of 12. The tiara style carrying case has 12 non-roll crayons. The shape promotes comfort and gives a perfect grip for writing. Easy to store neatly in top flip case.
- Do not roll off the table
- Case easy to carry in a bag
- Case hard to open
- Very light colors
- Not smooth
Crayola’s non-toxic Jumbo crayons are apt for kids. Basic colors red, yellow, green, blue, brown, black, orange, and purple in the pack are vibrant and show up well on paper. Crayola Crayons are designed with a focus on true color, smoothness, and durability.
- Do not break easily
- Are big enough for little hands to hold
- Perfect shade of colors
- Boxes might have broken crayons
- Crayons may leave marks wherever they are kept
These are crayons with an ideal size for little hands to hold. These egg-shaped crayons are designed especially for kids and toddlers so that they can draw and paint effortlessly.
These crayons come in bright and vibrant colors and are washable too.
- Have vibrant colors
- Size too small, choking hazard
- Very waxy
- Have to press hard to see colors
Why Choose Crayons For Toddlers?
Crayons give wings to the artistic minds of your kids. Crayons are safe to use as compared to watercolors, oil pastels, or other fancy colors available in the market. They are best for toddlers for a few major reasons, like the following.
- Most crayons don’t leave a mess. You don’t have to worry about spilled paint or child scribbling on their skin like they would do with pens or markers.
- The small size of the crayons makes it easy for small hands to hold and control. It can help improve muscle control, which is helpful when the child begins to write.
- Crayons encourage kids to mix colors and experiment with color. It helps your kid to learn art at an early age.
How To Choose Crayons?
Choose crayons that are durable, comfortable to hold for your toddler, and that leaves color on the paper without requiring much pressure. You can also keep the following points in mind while shopping crayons for your toddler.
- Variety of colors: Pick a crayon pack with several colors. A large range of colors can make for an exciting coloring time for the little one.
- Box type: Crayons that comes in a plastic box are easy to organize and store for later use.
- Size of the crayon: There are a variety of crayon sizes available. For instance, jumbo crayons can be helpful for small hands. Smaller ones help the toddler master the pencil-holding technique.
Tips For Safe Use Of Crayons
Check the size of the crayons while shopping. Too small crayons, be it any shape, can be ingested by kids if you do not monitor them and thus be a choking hazard. You must also take care that the child washes hands after using crayons to prevent any color or chemicals from entering toddler’s mouth and eyes.
Frequently Asked Questions
- At what age toddlers can use crayons?
A toddler can use crayons after the age of 18 months since they are likely to be more adept at gripping and holding objects.
- Are crayons safe for toddlers?
For crayons to be safe, they should be certified non-toxic. Check for the packaging of the crayon for mention of words like “non-toxic” or “chemical-free.”
- What is the shelf life of crayons?
Crayons can last for a long time when stored in a cool and dry place. Heat and excess moisture might cause them to become brittle or smudgy.
Crayons are a useful tool for toddlers to learn and grow their drawing skills. Pick a crayon set, which suits the toddler’s age and creativity level, and watch them draw to their heart’s content.
Which crayon set from this list will your toddler like? Let us know in the comment section below.