Babies are prone to skin rashes, which might occur from dryness, high sensitivity to temperature, certain clothes, food allergies, infections, etc. The best creams for baby rash on the face should help protect and soothe the baby’s skin. It is essential to choose a skin-friendly product approved by a certified dermatologist. I have consulted Dr. Dmitriy Schwarzburg, a board-certified dermatologist, for his tips on safe creams and created a list of the best creams for skin rash in babies. Keep scrolling and choose a cream that meets your baby’s needs.
11 Best Creams For Baby Rash On Face
1. Best Hypoallergenic: Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment
Aquaphor ointment is a multipurpose solution for your baby’s skincare needs. It’s clinically proven to restore smooth, healthy skin and helps keep skin free of moisture, acidity, and chafing. The pediatrician-recommended ointment is a hypoallergenic product and is paraben-free, preservative-free, and dye-free. Learn how this baby healing ointment can work for your baby’s skin from this video.
Also Recommended By: Healthline has also listed Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment in their top 10. The 11 Best Baby Eczema Creams, Healthline https://www.healthline.com/health/parenting/best-baby-eczema-cream#our-picks
- Suitable for cracked heels and chapped lips
- Suitable for all skin types
- Light consistency
- May take some time to deliver results
- Tube may be difficult to use
2. Best Fragrance-Free: Eucerin Baby Eczema Relief Body Cream
Made from colloidal oatmeal, ceramide-3, and licorice root extract, this body cream helps protect the skin. These ingredients are clinically proven to treat irritated eczema rash and dryness. This pediatrician-recommended face rash cream for babies is free of fragrance, dye, and steroids, and safe for babies. Check out this reviewer’s video for more information about this relief cream approved by certified dermatologists.
Also Recommended By: The experts at What to expect and Healthline also think highly of Eucerin Baby Eczema Relief Body Cream. Best Eczema Creams for Babies, What to expect., The 11 Best Baby Eczema Creams
, Healthline. https://www.whattoexpect.com/baby-products/health-safety/best-eczema-cream-babies/, https://www.healthline.com/health/parenting/best-baby-eczema-cream#our-picks
- Helps strengthen the skin’s protective barrier
- Provides 24-hour hydration
- Non-greasy formula
- Suitable for adults as well
- May have lighter consistency than expected
- May require frequent reapplication
3. Best For Sensitive Skin: Burt’s Bees Baby Multipurpose Ointment
Burt’s Bees’ multipurpose ointment helps protect the skin from rashes, infection, and dryness. It contains natural ingredients, including coconut oil, which contains healing properties, and shea butter, and beeswax, which lock in moisture and keep the skin healthy. The ointment does not contain parabens, phthalates, SLS, or petrolatum, making it safe and one among the physician’s choice. This fragranced product has a natural scent and is suitable for sensitive skin.
- Non-irritating ingredients
- Suitable for daily use
- No animal testing
- Some may not like the fragrance
- May be slightly greasy
Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment
Eucerin Baby Eczema Relief Body Cream
Burt's Bees Baby Multipurpose Ointment
Best For Sensitive Skin
|Weight||8.4 Ounces||-||0.54 Pounds|
|Dimensions||3.07 x 1.97 x 8.03 inches||7.5 x 1.97 x 5.79 inches||3.37 x 3.37 x 2.66 inches|
|Weight||8.4 Ounces||5 Ounces||8.64 Ounces|
4. Best Cruelty-Free: Era Organics Healing Ointment
Suitable for babies with sensitive skin, you can use this ointment to treat cradle cap, eczema, drool rash, and other skin-related issues. The ingredients include chamomile, organic calendula flower extract, beeswax, coconut oil, cocoa butter, avocado oil, and other extracts that are proven to heal and moisturize the skin. This product has not been tested on animals and does not contain any harmful chemicals. Check out this video that talks more about the super balm for your baby’s skin.
- USDA-certified organic ingredients
- Helps improve blood circulation
- Naturally antimicrobial
- May feel greasy
- Quantity may not be sufficient for some
5. Best To Soothe Rashes: The Honest Company Diaper Rash Cream
The baby rash cream contains non-nano zinc oxide and organic ingredients, forming a protective layer on babies’ skin to help soothe rashes and irritation, and prevent infection. Plant-and mineral-derived ingredients, such as jojoba oil, coconut oil, and organic shea butter, help nourish and hydrate the skin. It does not contain mineral oils or any harmful ingredients.
- Physician-tested formula
- Certified by NSF
- Free of artificial fragrances
- Results may be slow
- Cream and oil may separate at times
6. Best With Manuka Honey: Clearbody Organics Manuka Relief Ultra Soothing Cream
Clearbody’s soothing cream is made of medical-grade manuka honey from New Zealand, which helps heal damaged, irritated, and dry skin. The other ingredients include arnica montana flower extracts, aloe vera, chamomile extract, and colloidal oatmeal, which can keep the skin soft and supple. The drool rash cream for babies is free of artificial fragrances and suitable for sensitive skin.
- Suitable for all ages
- Anti-itch formula
- Suitable for daily use
- Quantity may not be sufficient for some
- May have a thin consistency
7. Best Non-Greasy: CeraVe Healing Ointment For Baby
The non-greasy ointment can keep the baby’s skin smooth and moisturized. It contains petrolatum, which temporarily protects the skin, and hyaluronic acid to help keep the skin moist and hydrated. The three essential ceramides – one, three, and six-II – help restore the skin’s moisture and work as a natural barrier against infection. This paraben-free drool rash cream is also free of fragrances, lanolin, and phthalates.
- Silky, smooth texture
- Accepted by the National Eczema Association
- Recommended by pediatricians and board-certified dermatologists
- May be difficult to squeeze out of the tube
- May not be suitable for chapped lips
8. Best Paraben-Free: Earth Mama Baby Organic Baby Face Nose & Cheek Balm
An organic alternative to petroleum jelly, this balm contains ingredients, including coconut balm, beeswax, organic shea butter, and organic calendula flower extract, which help keep the skin smooth and healthy. The drool rash cream for baby’s face is suitable for sensitive skin and does not contain any synthetic fragrances, parabens, or petroleum.
- Clinically tested for irritation
- Approved by pediatricians and board-certified dermatologists
- Suitable for dry skin
- Some may find it greasy
- May clog the pores around the nose
9. Best Pediatrician-Recommended: Mustela Baby Soothing Moisturizing Cream
Hypoallergenic and fragrance-free, Mustela cream is made from natural ingredients, such as schizandra berry and avocado perseose. They help improve the skin’s texture and act as a barrier to protect the skin against infection. The face rash cream for babies is tested and recommended by pediatricians and board-certified dermatologists and does not contain harmful ingredients.
- Lightweight texture
- Hydrating formula
- Certified by B-Corp
- Non-toxic and safe for newborns
- Quantity may not be sufficient
- May have a slightly watery consistency
10. Best For Instant Relief: Elizabeth Parker Naturals Baby Eczema Cream
The baby eczema cream is made from manuka honey, cocoa butter, aloe vera and contains minerals, amino acids, and vitamins. It helps provide instant relief to the baby from irritated eczema rash, itching, and dry skin. The paraben-free cream does not contain synthetic fragrances and is safe for the baby’s sensitive skin.
- Suitable for atopic dermatitis and cradle cap
- Suitable for adults as well
- Consistency might be thicker than expected
- Results on eczema may be slow
11. Best For Dry Skin: Zarbee’s Naturals Baby Soothing Face Balm
Zarbee’s balm can be used for babies aged two months and above. It includes natural ingredients, such as sunflower seed oil, chamomile, and beeswax, that are safe and help protect the skin from dryness. The cream does not contain parabens, phthalates, or petroleum. It can be used daily or as needed and is recommended by pediatricians.
- Gentle formula
- Safe for daily use
- May seem greasy
- May have a peculiar smell
How To Choose The Right Baby Face Rash Cream?
Consider the following factors when purchasing a cream for the baby’s face rash.
- Thick formula: Cream compositions are relatively more effective than baby lotions in treating eczema symptoms in babies. Baby lotions for face rash are thinner and cannot form a thick barrier on the skin, and may include drying or irritating ingredients such as alcohols. The thicker the cream, the longer it lasts to protect and moisturize your baby’s skin.
- Fragrance-free: Fragranced products may be irritating for the baby’s sensitive skin. Therefore, choose fragrance-free products.
- Ingredients: While terms like ‘organic’ and ‘natural’ can influence your choice, parents should remember that organic products are not inherently hypoallergenic. Check the ingredients list to determine if it is a non-toxic, paraben-free, chemical-free, and hypoallergenic product.
Dr. Dmitriy Schwarzburg, a renowned New York-based dermatologist and owner of Skinly Aesthetics, says, “Babies have extremely delicate and sensitive skin, which is why you should opt for products with less ingredients over those that contain a long list of unknown ingredients and chemicals.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna is a highly skilled and experienced baby products reviewer and writer. She has compiled a list of the best baby rash cream for face that alleviate the rash and nourish the baby’s skin. These products are hypoallergenic and free of artificial fragrances and harmful chemicals like paraben. Vibha has curated this list after careful analysis and comparison of several baby drool rash creams. She has also presented each product’s features and included a buying guide so that you can make a good pick.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long does it take to get rid of the face rash in babies?
Face rash in babies is common and usually develops in the first few weeks due to clogged pores, infection, or environmental changes. It usually clears up on its own once the pores are open and might take a few weeks to clear up. Some skin rashes might require moisturizer or other prescribed creams by pediatricians.
2. Is paste or ointment better for face rash in babies?
As discussed above, face rash in babies is caused by different factors, and the preferred type of cream or ointment totally depends on the type of rash. It is recommended to take the opinion of a board-certified dermatologist or healthcare professional to determine which is the best product for face rash in babies.
3. Do you wipe off excess face rash cream?
Yes, you can wipe off the excess face rash cream from your little one’s face, else the rash cream for babies’ face might spread to the eyes and mouth, which is not safe.
4. Can I use baby wipes for a face rash?
Hypoallergenic baby wipes are safe for wiping a baby’s face. Yet, if your baby has sensitive skin and using baby wipes that contain harsh chemicals may accentuate the rash. You can opt for more skin-friendly dribble rash wipes that are chemical-free and natural.
5. Is cream safe for baby face rash?
Rash cream for babies’ faces are safe to use on face rashes like milia, eczema, and acne. For other baby face rash conditions, you may choose a cream or ointment as prescribed by a pediatrician.
A baby’s sensitive skin is prone to rashes. Thus, you need a cream that is gentle on the skin, hypoallergenic, dermatologist-tested, and made of natural ingredients. Moreover, the cream you choose should be free of harsh chemicals and fragrances that may be harmful to your baby’s delicate skin. Once you lay your hands on a cream that meets these criteria, you can bid adieu to rashes and keep your munchkin’s skin hydrated, supple, and healthy.
Infographic: Safety Tips On Applying Cream on Baby Face Rash
It is important to take precautions when applying any product to a baby’s delicate skin, especially if the baby has a rash. Here, we present tips to follow before applying cream to a baby’s face rash. This will ensure that the treatment is effective and your baby is comfortable and safe during the process.