- 15 Best crib mattresses
- Does your baby need a crib mattress?
- Are there different crib mattress dimensions?
- Are there different types of crib mattress?
- How to choose a crib mattress?
- Crib mattress safety guidelines
The crib is the best place for your baby to sleep. It is accessible to the parent yet gives the infant their own space to sleep in. If you use the crib regularly for your baby’s naps, ensure that you choose the ideal crib mattress to make nap or sleep time relaxing and soothing.
In this MomJunction article, we give you a list of 15 best and crib mattresses for your precious little one. Before that, some information on the types and sizes of crib mattresses and how to pick the right one for your baby’s crib.
15 Best Crib Mattresses
- Baby and toddler mattress made with breathable foam, with several tiny pores on the mattress surface that allow for air circulation.
- Fits any standard sized crib or toddler bed.
- Easy to store. Roll the mattress and the foam compresses.
- The mattress meets US Federal flammability standards and does not contain phthalates and lead. The material has antimicrobial properties.
- Comes with a water-resistant cover. You can also get a tight-fitting cover that is sold separately.
- The raw materials used for the mattress include a percentage of soybean-derived, renewable foam.
- Several cushioning layers within the mattress help retain firmness for long. Squared off edges help make it a snug fit.
- Free of chemicals such as phthalates, mercury, lead, and formaldehyde.
- Ships with a waterproof and stain-resistant cover. The cover makes it easy to clean the mattress surface.
- Greenguard certified, which means low chemical emission by the products. CertiPUR-US indicates the use of polyurethane foam, which is free of harmful chemicals.
- A foam mattress that fits in a standard baby crib and a toddler bed. Roll and compress the mattress for easy storage.
- Allows adequate airflow to prevent excess body heat in the baby.
- The mattress has a medium-firm feel to let the baby sleep comfortably, without the risk of sinking into it.
- Ships with a waterproof cover that closes on to the mattress with a zipper.
- Both mattress and cover are made from a material that is hypoallergenic, mold and dust mite resistant.
- The manufacturing technology allows for even weight distribution on the mattress.
- Made with bonded polyester fibers with a high-density core that allows for long-lasting firmness.
- Lightweight design makes it easy to move the mattress. Mattress fits all standard baby cribs and toddler beds.
- Comes with a vinyl cover, which is waterproof and resistant to wear & tear.
- Free of harmful chemicals including phthalates and lead. Meets the US federal flammability standards.
- Greenguard certified, which means the mattress has a low chemical emission.
- A soft foam mattress made with high-grade polyurethane foam. You can use the mattress for both babies and toddlers.
- CertiPUR-US certified, which means the polyurethane foam used is free of harmful chemicals and also safe for the environment.
- Ships with a washable waterproof cover. The materials used for the cover and the mattress are hypoallergenic and mite-proof.
- The squared off edges of the mattress make it easier to fit into the crib without leaving any gap between the mattress and the crib walls.
- Made with anti-microbial, lead, and phthalate-free materials. Meets the US federal flammability standards.
- The mattress is designed for a portable/mini crib, with a width of 24in instead of 27in, which is meant for full-size cribs.
- It is lightweight and resists stains, odors. Mattress ships with a waterproof cover.
- Made with high-density foam. Phthalates and lead-free. Meets the US federal flammability standards.
- Comes with a waterproof cover, which is mold and mite resistant while also being antibacterial.
- Spilled food or liquids on the waterproof cover can be easily wiped using warm soapy water.
- A coil mattress with 150 steel coils to provide the best combination of rigidity and comfort.
- An airflow pocket layer within the mattress allows for air circulation, which helps keep the mattress fresh while reducing the chances of the baby feeling excess heat.
- The mattress comes stitched with a waterproof layer. The external layer is resistant to stains and odor.
- The mattress is extensively tested and meets the US federal flammability standards.
- Free of lead and phthalate. Greenguard certified, which means the mattress has a low chemical emission.
- Two-sided, infant and toddler mattress made entirely of organic and natural raw materials.
- The baby side of the mattress contains organic coconut coir padding. The toddler side has padding from natural latex. The two layers of coir and latex are bound by organic wool fire barrier.
- Free of any harmful chemicals since the raw materials are organic.
- The removable, machine-washable cover is made from organic cotton and eucalyptus fiber.
- The mattress cover is water and stain resistant.
- The core of the mattress is made mostly of coconut coir fibers that are bonded using organic latex.
- Cotton fibers are used around the coconut coir core to add cushioning.
- The mattress has an organic cotton cover to ensure adequate circulation of air within the mattress.
- Fits all standard sized crib beds.
- A slim two-inch thick, portable mattress designed for portable mini cribs.
- The stitched fabric of the mattress is tear resistant. The mattress ships with a removable external cover too.
- The mattress fabric and the external cover are hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, non-toxic, and dust mite resistant. The external cover is stain resistant and waterproof too.
- Easy to clean mattress cover. Just use a cloth dipped in warm soapy water to clean away any dust and debris.
- The core of the mattress is made from high-density polyester, which lets the mattress stay firm for years. It is also lightweight and easy to move around.
- It comes with a waterproof vinyl cover that is easy to clean. Squared corners make it a snug fit in standard sized cribs.
- The raw materials are free of phthalate and lead. The mattress meets the US federal flammability norms.
- Greenguard certified, which means low chemical emission by the products.
- Mattress made from materials that allow for optimum circulation of air to help the baby feel cool and comfortable while asleep.
- A washable mattress cover works as a pad and a mattress sheet. The cover is removable and machine washable. Both the mattress and the pad are waterproof.
- Lightweight and makes a snug fit in a standard sized crib.
- The mattress meets the US federal flammability norms and does not use any flame retardant chemicals.
- A two-in-one mattress made from polyester. The polyester core is recyclable, thus making the mattress eco-friendly.
- Dual-sided, with a firm side for babies and cushier side for toddlers.
- Mattress comes with a removable cover. The cover contains two layers: outer organic cotton layer with quilt patterns and an inner vinyl-free waterproof layer.
- The cover is machine washable and does not lose its shape even after washing.
- Does not contain dyes, phthalates, chemical flame retardants, and synthetic latex. Hypoallergenic and dust-mite resistant.
- Dual firmness mattress with an extra-firm side for babies and a firm side for toddlers.
- The mattress comes with a stitched outer cotton cover. The foam used within the mattress is processed using plant-based oils instead of petroleum-based oils.
- Hypoallergenic, phthalate-free, and free of harmful chemicals.
- Greenguard and CertiPUR-US certified.
- Two-sided, foam mattress for extended usage when the baby turns into a toddler.
- The mattress features an inner fire-resistant layer with no fire retardant chemicals.
- Materials used for making the mattress are durable, antimicrobial, and water resistant.
- Seams of the mattress are stitched adequately to resist bed bug and dust mite infestation.
- Ships with a hypoallergenic and water resistant cover, which is easy to clean with a damp sponge.
Does Your Baby Need A Crib Mattress?
Yes. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends the use of firm sleeping mattress for your baby’s crib (1). Your baby only needs a mattress and a fitted cover/sheet in their crib. There should not be any toys, pillows, towels, or other items that could pose the risk of entrapment, suffocation or strangulation.
Do Crib Mattresses Vary In Dimensions?
Yes. Crib mattresses vary in sizes to suit cribs of different sizes. The two common types of cribs include:
- Full-size crib: Interior/Base width of 28 ± 5/8 inches (71 ± 1.6 centimeters) and length of 52 3/8 ± 5/8 inches (133 ± 1.6 centimeters).
- Mini/portable crib: There is no standardized size for it, but product regulatory bodies state that its interior width should be less than 25 3/8 inches (64.3cm) and length should be less than 49 3/4 inches (126.3cm). Most manufacturers of mini/portable crib stick to a width of 24 inches (60.96cm) and a length of 38 inches (96.52cm).
These dimensions are as recommended by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission for standardized cribs (2) (3). However, custom-made cribs may vary slightly in size, so be sure to check the crib’s interior/base dimensions before buying a mattress for a snug fit.
Are There Different Types Of Crib Mattress?
Yes. The following are the three types of crib mattresses:
- Coil mattress: Coil mattresses have steel springs/coils and quite likely an outer steel frame for support. The coils are topped with cushioning material such as cotton or foam. The more the number of coils, the more comfortable a coil mattress gets. Coil mattresses tend to be expensive, but are also more likely to retain their shape for longer.
- Foam mattress: Simple mattresses with an external fabric cover that is tightly stitched over polyester foam. Foam mattresses are lightweight and soft to touch but may lose their firmness over a period since there is no internal metal coil for support. When picking foam mattress, choose the one that has the highest density of foam since it will stay firmer for longer.
- Two-sided mattress: Also called double-sided mattress or 2-in-1 mattress, which usually have foams of different firmness on either side. It is firm on one side and softer on the other. If you want a one-time purchase for both infant and toddler years, then this mattress is for you.
It is essential to know the type of mattress and also how to pick the right one for your baby.
How To Choose A Crib Mattress?
Keep in mind the following criteria when exploring crib mattresses for your baby:
- Right size for your crib: The mattress should fit perfectly into the crib base: from edge to edge. A gap between the mattress and the side walls increases the risk of a baby’s face getting stuck in the gap or them falling into it. Always check the crib dimensions before buying a mattress for it.
- Mattress sheet: Some mattresses may come with a sheet/cover. Other mattresses may not require a bed sheet since the external fabric doubles as a cover. It is always good to pick mattresses that you can use without bed sheets to eliminate the risk of suffocation and keep your baby safe.
- Waterproofing: If your baby sleeps without diapers, then waterproof or water resistant mattresses are the ideal choice. Waterproof mattresses are covered with a layer of plastic or waterproof fabric and do not permeate water within. Water resistant mattresses prevent small quantities of fluid from passing through.
- Do not buy second-hand: Mattresses are intimate products. Babies may poop or puke on it, which can make the mattress susceptible to bacterial and fungal growth. You may not know whether the previous owner would have taken adequate care while cleaning the mattress. A second-hand mattress can expose your baby to pathogens. Therefore, it is best to go first-hand when buying a crib mattress.
You can also choose mattresses made of organic material or ones that may be free of chemicals in any form. There is no scientific evidence to suggest that such mattresses are better than the usual ones. Nevertheless, parents can pick these mattresses after checking the material quality.
Crib Mattress Safety Guidelines
- Snug fit: A crib mattress should always fit snugly within the crib base. Even the slightest gap between the mattress and crib wall/railing can pose a suffocation hazard. Consumer products experts state that there should be a very minimal gap between the sides of the crib and the edge of the mattress (4). If your crib comes with a mattress explicitly designed for it, avoid purchasing a separate mattress.
- Mattress cover should go over the side: If the mattress cover does not envelope the mattress and only covers the top, then find a cover that it goes all the way over the edge of, or around the mattress. If you intend to use a blanket or a warm sheet during winter, then tuck the blanket over the mattress like a cover, and place the baby on top.
- Regular cleaning: Keep the mattress clean even if your baby does not soil it. Most manufacturers have machine washable covers. If your mattress does not have one, then use a sponge soaked in a baby-safe disinfectant liquid to clean the mattress.
- Turn mattress when the baby becomes toddler: Switch to the toddler side of the mattress once your baby is old enough to sleep on the softer side. Infant-safety experts recommend switching the baby to a toddler bed at the age of 18 months (5).
The crib mattress is a part of a baby’s bedtime accessories and should be chosen carefully. Pick one that works best for your baby, keeping in mind the age, crib size, usability, and materials used. Once you have the ideal crib mattress, regular maintenance can help the mattress last for long.
How did you decide on your baby’s crib mattress? Tell us in the comment section below.
2. Full-Size Baby Cribs Business Guidance & Small Entity Compliance Guide; U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
3. Non-Full-Size Baby Cribs Business Guidance & Small Entity Compliance Guide; U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
4. Learn How to Put Your Baby to Sleep Safely; U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
5. Safe Sleep: Bedding, Pillows, Safety and More; United States Consumer Protection Safety Commission
- Baby Bouncers To Buy In 2019
- Rocking Chairs for Babies
- Playpens & Play Yards For Babies
- Best High Chairs For Baby