Invented in the early 17th century, cribbage is a board game initially known as Noddy. This multi-player card game combines the hand of luck along with meticulous planning and strategy to win points. Here we have compiled a list of the best cribbage board game sets that come equipped with a cribbage board, pegs to keep track of scores, cards, and sometimes an instructional manual. So, explore the available options to find a suitable game.
10 Best Cribbage Board Games
Suitable for two to three players, the board features three tracks. Made from premium-quality birch plywood, this set comes with a wooden cribbage board, pegs to keep track of the score, a deck of cards, and an instructional manual to help you understand the game. For easy storage, the board has a separate section inside to keep the cards and pegs and comes with durable metal hardware lining and a metal latch lock to prevent the pegs from falling out.
- Pegs come with tapered body design
- Easy-to-grasp pegs
- Suitable for gifting for any occasion
- Available in three colors
- Clasp may not be durable
- Holes may not be well-drilled
Made from solid wood, the three-person board game is portable and easy to store. The whimsical board’s S and SS design helps track when the opponent gets skunked, and the set features three tracks, nine playing pieces, and a slotted channel on the underside for convenient peg storage. This board is durable for long-lasting performance, and the playing pieces come in three different colors to distinguish the players.
- Suitable for two to four players
- Can be played with family and friends
- Lightweight and travel-friendly
- Displays the best possible hand in cribbage
- Paint may peel over time
- Holes may not line up evenly
The travel-friendly cribbage board game is suitable for two players. Convenient and compact, this three-track foldable game set allows for effortless storage, so you can carry this on your adventures. This set also features a secure locking system, so you don’t have to worry about game parts falling out and being misplaced. The set includes playing cards, pegs, an instruction manual, and a bag to store all components.
- Lightweight design at 0.46 pounds
- Made of high-quality ABS plastic
- Suitable for all ages
- GSI lifetime warranty available
- May accumulate mold
- May not be easy to maintain multiple pegs
Crafted using superior quality wood, this four-track board has 24 brass pegs to keep score and an instructional manual. The set is also equipped with a storage compartment, and the fine-quality print makes it easy to read and play the game. However, ensure children below the age of four are supervised, as this royal cribbage board contains small parts that may be a choking hazard.
- Fade-resistant print
- Can accommodate up to four players
- Great for gifting
- Instruction manual included
- Some may find the pegs slightly heavy
- May require additional drilling to fit the pegs
The game set comes with a four-track board with easy-to-read numerical notations. Its premium construction due to high-quality solid oak with a simplistic design makes it suitable for all ages. The set is complete with instructions and twenty-eight plastic pegs that securely fit in the hidden storage compartment provided below the board. It can be a suitable gift option for various occasions and helps improve critical thinking skills.
- Goes well with coffee tables
- Has a luxurious design
- Helps improve social skills
- 60 days quality guarantee
- Metal slides may be flimsy
- Instructions may not be easy to follow
The game combines the age-old cribbage game of strategy and luck with the modern game of scrabble. Suitable for ages ten and above, up to four players can play this board game. The game set comes with a rotating game board and grid, 104 polished maple hardwood tiles, four solid wood tile holders, and a colorful manual.
- Easy to customize tile pattern
- Suitable for competitive play
- Easy seal cloth bag included
- Comes with instructions
- Some may find the board flimsy
- Gameplay may be time consuming
If you’re a board game enthusiast, you must bring home this three-track wooden cribbage board game made from durable hardwood. A treat to the brain and the eyes, the visually appealing board game set includes metal pegs with a tapered body and top design along with three striking colors. Easy to grip, you need to slide the top of the board to reveal a storage area where you can conveniently store parts of the game, including the two decks of playing cards and nine metal cribbage pegs of colors chrome, brass, and black.
- Suitable for personalizing
- Apt for long playing times
- Instruction manual included
- Suitable for family gatherings
- Glue may not be long lasting
- May require additional drilling
The precision-cut board replicates Minnesota’s state borders and is engraved with famous lakes and rivers. This unique board game includes nine rustic nail pegs and a slotted counter that also acts as a stand. Moreover, it is made of 100% recycled materials, where each layer is constructed after being soaked in food-safe resin and pressed together under concentrated heat for impact resistance and durability.
- Contains 65% FSC-certified paper
- Has a warm mottled appearance
- Suitable for gifting for any occasion
- Doubles as a showpiece
- Some may find the board flimsy
Handmade in India, this cribbage board is crafted from high-quality hardwood and is painted with two striking colors. Easy to play and convenient to keep score, this set comes with two decks of cards, three silver pegs, and three gold pegs. Its hinged design allows you to carry this board game on your adventures.
- Has a handy storage area
- Two clasps for storage
- Integrated storage box included
- Suitable for gifting
- Board may be smaller than expected
- Small pieces may be choking hazards
Crobyi’s board game is made from a durable blend of rubber and wood and is finished with eco-friendly paints with a classic design. The set includes a wooden board, two decks of playing cards, and nine metal pegs, and it has a drawer design instead of a hinge for long-lasting use. There is also a storage compartment inside the board for all the parts so that you can enjoy this game on the go.
- Features screen printed tracks
- Evenly spaced holes
- Made to be non-slip
- Ideal for gifting for any occasion
- May have a fragile structure
- Pegs may be wider than expected
Cribbage Board Games Rules
While there are many variations to this 17th-century game, many game sets still follow the traditional way of playing.
In most games today, each player picks a color and places the color peg at the starting position on their track on the cribbage board, and they both get a hand of six cards each. From this pile, they discard two cards into a new pile known as the crib. After this, a single card is cut from the pile and turned face up, which is considered a part of each player’s hand and the crib.
The player to the left of the dealer plays a card by placing it in front of them, announcing its face value. The next player does the same, adding the number of their card with the previous one. The running total must be thirty-one and below but not above. If a player cannot play a card without staying below thirty-one, they must say ‘go’. The next player plays their turn if they have a card that can stay within the number thirty-one or says ‘go’. If neither has cards, they start again until all possible cards are played.
There are many ways to keep score on a cribbage board. You keep one as the starting point with the two pegs, and you go over each peg every time you score. Some of the ways you can win points are as follows:
- If the card count reaches the number fifteen, the player who last played to help reach that number wins two points.
- Any player who completes a pair gets two points
- Any player who completes a three of a kind gets six points
- Any player who completes a four of a kind gets twelve points
- Any player who completes a run scores one point for each card in the run
- The player who doesn’t say ‘go’ gets the point
- Any player who reaches the number thirty-one exactly gets two points
- If no player reaches the exact number of thirty-one, the player closest to that number scores one point
Remember, all cards must be played, if possible.
The first player or team that travels across their colored path on the cribbage board plus another point (121) in total wins the game.
How To Choose The Right Cribbage Board?
Here are a few factors to keep in mind when choosing the right board game.
- Construction: Apart from having all the components of the game, such as the mainboard, pegs, and playing cards, it is essential that the cribbage board is made from durable materials. While ones made from ABS plastic are relatively easier to carry, the ones crafted with high-quality wood are more sturdy and long-lasting.
- Storage space: Most boards come with additional storage spaces, while others include a bag to keep the parts safe. We recommend choosing boards that come with attached spaces beneath the board as it is convenient to store components there, without the risk of losing the storage bag.
- Portability: Choose cribbage boards that are travel-friendly to enjoy on the go. Consider boards that are lightweight, easily foldable, have secure clasps to help you carry the component, and additional storage for quick and easy cleanup.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose, our toys and gifts enthusiast has reviewed multiple website reviews and product descriptions before compiling this list of the best cribbage board games. She has undertaken extensive research and considered factors such as construction, storage space, and portability before curating this list. She has also included product descriptions and a buying guide to assist you in selecting the right board game.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long does a game of cribbage take?
A game of cribbage can last from 15 to 20 minutes to even hours. It would depend on the skills of the players and the number of players in the game.
2. Are there different kinds of cribbage boards?
Cribbage is an old game with up to 18 variations (1). Cribbage boards can be made of sturdy wood or lightweight ABS plastic.
3. Is cribbage still popular?
Cribbage may be viewed as old-fashioned but enjoys popular status even now, thanks to its ease of playing. Its ability to keep the players engaged and improve strategy and decision-making skills make it a popular game.
4. Is learning cribbage hard?
Cribbage requires some knowledge of its basic concepts or rules. The difficulty level might vary according to the player’s level. Once you are above the learning challenge, things will get easier and your game flow will also improve.
5. Can I play cribbage alone?
Cribbage cannot be played solo unless you are playing a game of solitaire cribbage. Cribbage board games have always been meant for multiplayers.
Although a traditional game, cribbage board games are still relevant and fun to play, providing you with hours of entertainment. It also helps improve critical thinking, problem-solving, spatial awareness, and socialization skills. Before you choose the right one for your home, ensure that the board is long-lasting, made of durable materials, and comes with additional storage space suitable for travel. We hope our list of the best cribbage board games could help you gain some understanding of the multiple options available and their features.
- Cribbage Board Game Variations 1