We love well-manicured or pedicured nails. But having perfect salon-like nails throughout the year can burn a hole in your pocket. Ever thought of creating the same magic at home?
To enjoy a mani-pedi session at home, the first thing you will need in your collection is a cuticle remover. You can use it to either soften those nail buds or remove them altogether, depending on your preference.
Cuticles are those small bits of dry skin that grow on your nail bed. It is essential to take care of cuticles, and the best way to do that is by using a cuticle remover.
In this post, MomJunction brings you the 11 best cuticle removers. Read on to learn about their features and choose the one that suits you.
11 Best Cuticle Removers for Thick Cuticles
This manicure revitalizing cuticle oil nourishes and conditions the cuticles, making them soft. It is formulated with honey and milk, which have moisturizing and soothing properties. The complex blend of oils and vitamins in this product aids in protecting the nails and cuticles.
How to use: Apply one drop to each cuticle and massage gently. Use 3–4 times per week.
This nourishing oil is formulated with a high concentration of shea oil (30%). It helps soften cuticles and gives deep conditioning to nails. This oil comes with a brush applicator for clean and easy application. The luxurious, quick-absorbing oil is free of parabens, sulfates, and phthalates and comes packaged in a travel-friendly tube.
How to use: Press gently on the tube and apply this oil on cuticles using the brush applicator. Massage the oil gently on your cuticles. This helps soften the cuticles and also strengthens the nails, giving a flawless manicure-like finish.
This Cuticle softener and remover plus stain remover helps in softening cuticles and stimulating nail growth. It helps in removing ink, carbon ribbon, dyes, hair dyes, hair tints, and many other types of stains. It is specially formulated to be gentle on the skin and nails.
How to use: Apply this cuticle softener with an orangewood stick. Gently push the cuticle back and remove the excess cuticle with a thin hand towel. Use cotton and dab the area in a circular motion to remove any excess stains.
Made with the proprietary Hot Spring Minerals blend, this is the first cuticle conditioner to be developed and sold in the form of a serum. Its mineral-rich formula penetrates deep into the cuticle bed, providing a healthy, nourishing nail bed and improving nail growth. Infused with organic ingredients and Japanese botanicals, this serum moisturizes, soothes, and softens cuticles. It also replenishes lost minerals and provides both immediate as well as long-term hydration to dry, thick cuticles.
How to use: Dispense a small amount of the serum on the nail bed, massage thoroughly, and gently push the skin back. Use daily for two consecutive weeks, followed by three times a week subsequently.
Designed keeping in mind a busy nail technician’s life, this cuticle remover softens the cuticle and dissolves the toughest and thickest of cuticle growth on your fingers and toes in just seconds. It saves both time and money. It is ideal for mani and pedi services, but is especially recommended for artificial nail services, giving you a completely unforgettable nail experience.
How to use: Wear protective gloves and apply the product carefully onto the cuticles. Allow it to penetrate for 30 seconds. For thicker cuticles, consider leaving it a little longer (maximum of 45 seconds). Gently push back the cuticles. Wash with soap and water thoroughly. Do not allow the remover to come in contact with unprotected skin tissue.
This product comes with a stainless steel cuticle pusher tool. Elavae cuticle remover gel claims to save time and money and provide spa-like results on regular application. The bottle contains enough cuticle remover gel that lasts for 30 applications, making it economical. This gel removes thick, dry cuticles in under 30 seconds, leaving your nails soft and well-nourished. It is lanolin-free and can be used by people with sensitive skin too.
How to use: Apply the gel to the nail bed and soak hands in warm water for 30 seconds. Wipe off with a washcloth or use a nail brush to remove excess skin. It is suitable for use on hands and feet too.
This cuticle remover by Blue Cross is enriched with lanolin. It removes dead tissue and makes the cuticles soft. It can be used for both manicures and pedicures. The lanolin in the cuticle remover helps prevent drying of nails and improves nail growth. It is also free of any strong odor.
How to use: Apply the product around the nail and cuticle. Wash off with warm water after a few minutes.
This cuticle remover eliminates thick, overgrown cuticles. Its scientifically advanced pH-balanced formula helps remove excess cuticles. It is enriched with the goodness of aloe vera, which soothes and moisturizes the nails.
How to use: Apply around the cuticles and nails. Massage and wait for 3–5 minutes. Gently push the cuticles with a manicure stick, ensuring you do not injure the nail bed. Wash away excess product with warm, soapy water.
Precautions: Do not leave the product on for longer than eight minutes. Keep your fingers away from your eyes while using the product. Do not use it more than twice weekly, and avoid using it on broken or sensitive skin.
Best suited for removing loose skin, this pen-like cuticle remover contains squalene and is enriched with natural oils like avocado oil, lavender oil, and keratin that provide nails with nutrients and moisture. It removes dead cuticles easily without the need of a clipper or pusher. It is suitable for both manicures and pedicures.
How to use: Wash your hand thoroughly. Push loose skin and cuticle. Apply the oil and leave for a few minutes. Gently massage the cuticles and nails in a circular motion. Wipe off the remaining residue.
This cuticle remover gives you a neat and uniform nail contour. The thixotropic formula in this cuticle remover softens and helps remove overgrown cuticles in just one application. The manicure stick that comes with this product can be wrapped in cotton to roll back the cuticle and remove dead skin.
How to use: Using the brush, apply this remover directly on cuticles to soften overgrown cuticles. Next, use a manicure stick wrapped with cotton to remove excess product.
This creamy cuticle remover works like a liquid nipper. It softens cuticles and eliminates thick cuticles safely. It has a small cap from which the product can be dispensed directly onto cuticles.
How to use: Remove the cap carefully. Direct the opening to the cuticle, squeeze the bottle gently, and apply. Loosen the cuticle with the applicator tip and cuticle pusher. Massage gently and wash off after 3–5 minutes.
How Do Cuticle Removers Work?
Cuticle removers come in different forms like oils, gels, creams, and serums. These removers nourish the nails and remove overgrown cuticles.
Most cuticle removers are usually pH-based formulations that help soften the thick cuticles. These removers are sometimes acidic; and, hence, it is important to wash your hands thoroughly every time you use them.
Types Of Cuticle Removers
Nail care is incomplete without cuticle removers. These products are ideal because they do not remove cuticles completely but work on those dead and thick cuticles. Read on to learn more about the different types of cuticle removers.
- Cuticle-removing gels: Cuticle-removing gels work best on thick cuticles. They soften the hard nails and prevent cuticles from tearing. Gels are usually soothing and help remove those dead cuticles quickly and in a painless manner.
- Cuticle-removing oils: These are generally infused with natural oils. They are good for your skin and nourish your nails well. The packaging is similar to your regular nail polish bottles. They have an applicator brush that can be used to apply the product on your cuticles and nail bed. These oils are known to dissolve cuticles effectively.
- Cuticle-removing cream: Cream-based cuticle removers are thick in texture. They are also applied on hard cuticles and nail bed.
- Cuticle-remover pens: These are more like portable pens. They are sometimes smaller than a pen and can be carried in your bag easily. Cuticle removing pens usually have a rounded base that helps you massage and push the cuticles back gently to achieve longer-looking nails.
Uses Of Cuticle Removers
Cuticle removers are definitely your go-to products if you want well-manicured fingers and pedicured toes. These tiny removers can do wonders for your hands and feet. They help
- Moisturize and soothe the cuticles.
- Remove dead, thick, overgrown cuticles.
- Protect you from ingrown nail problems.
- Improve overall nail health.
- Give your nails a salon-like pampering at home.
Tips For Choosing The Right Cuticle Remover
Here are a few tips to help you choose the best cuticle remover:
- Price: Cuticle removers are economical and easy to find in stores or even online. They can range from $5 to $10. Sometimes depending on the brand and ingredients used, they can cost a bit more.
- Ingredients: A good cuticle remover contains potassium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide. However, it is important to check if you are allergic to any of the chemicals. Make sure you read the ingredient label in detail. Also, choose the ones that contain natural ingredients.
- Value for money: Ensure you compare the prices of different products. Do not forget to check for any online deals which may help you buy your favorite brand’s bigger bottle at a lesser price.
- Convenience: If you are someone who leads a busy life, choose a cuticle remover that offers maximum benefits without spending much time. There are numerous products that give you the desired results in just 15 to 30 seconds.
- Easy on the skin: Choose cuticle removers that have natural ingredients. If you are a person prone to allergies or have sensitive skin, then choose a remover that is hypoallergenic and free of harmful chemicals like parabens, sulfates, and phthalates.
How Do You Remove Overgrown Ccuticles?
Apply cuticle remover. Soak your hands in warm water for a few minutes. Read the instructions on the packaging to know the exact number of minutes. Once your cuticle is softened, use a cuticle remover tool such as a cuticle stick or nipper and gently push back the cuticles. This makes your nails appear longer and healthier. Be cautious not to hurt your nail bed or injure your cuticles by pushing them too hard.
If you do not get lucky at the first try, you may have to try a few products before you find the right one that suits you. Which of these cuticle removers have you tried, and which one would you consider grabbing next? Let us know in the comments section below.