Do you love riding your bike but you’re worried about your safety and your bike’s quality and durability? Then, your first step must be to ensure the right derailleur for your bike! Nothing is more precious in this world than your life, and hence you are in a place to make wise choices to ensure protection for yourself and extend the life of your bike.
Buying the right derailleur ensures safe bike travel with proper gear shifts and clears out all the frustration caused due to shifting issues. Since there are a bunch of features that you need to analyze before making a derailleur purchase/upgrade decision, the process may be a little cumbersome. Thus, we have compiled a list of the 10 best derailleurs for your bike.
Top Products From Our List
10 Best Derailleurs Of 2021
You may opt for this product if you are looking for a classy derailleur for a mountain bike. With 43 teeth as its chain wrap capacity and top-normal derailleur action, this Shimano Altus rear derailleur turns out to be one of the most efficient derailleurs for bikes. What we love the most is that the parts of this derailleur are made of black metal and not plastic, which makes shifting swift, quiet, and smooth without getting damaged. It can be quickly installed and adjusted, and its 8-speed feature makes it highly suitable for city use and mountain sports.
If you are looking for a lightweight, long-lasting rear derailleur for bikes, SRAM GX Eagle derailleur may be the right choice! With its efficient and improved cage architecture, it ensures better chain retention and gear shifts on command. This 12-speed derailleur, with its generous cage length and smooth design, can accommodate a 10-50T cassette to give you a comfortable pedal journey. With added beneficial features of cage lock and roller-bearing clutch, it guarantees durability and efficiency. It is available in different dimensions to meet your requirements. Plus, the X-actuation trigger shifter feature makes shifting much easier, eliminating any trail scraps.
Are you worried about noise and stiff chain movements? Here is a solution! With this SRAM X-Horizon Rear Derailleur being integrated with the pulleys, chain tensions are taken care of by directing the movement to the horizontal axis. What makes this product unique is its pulley offsets and 12-tooth X-sync wheels. These pulleys tend to manage the cage length with the chain movement better than the traditional pulleys. It is also equipped with the roller-bearing clutch to avoid derailleur failures and cage-lock system, making installation, adjustment, and removal of derailleur convenient. The X-actuation ensures the right gear ratio, particularly for SRAM 1x, to ensure effortless shifting throughout the cassette. With all these above features, this 11-speed bike derailleur stands out as one of the best.
Fit your bicycle/bike with a super cool derailleur such as this one for you to flaunt to others. This Bicycle And Mountain Bike Transmission Rear Derailleur by VGEBY is designed in an impressive and elegant manner with its high-quality and strong material that ensure longevity. Being a well-built bike derailleur, it efficiently works with the chainrings and adjusts to the chain length accordingly. It is easy to install and remove, considering its simple design. This derailleur is compatible with 7 and 21 speed and is suitable for mountain and road bikes.
This RD-M390 Acera Rear Derailleur by TOTMOX is considered to be one of the best derailleurs for bikes because of its aluminum alloy components, which ensure its durability and performance. This 9 or 27-speed black rear bike derailleur is equipped with a dual servo structure for enhanced speed, smooth brake, and precise shifting. It is compatible with bikes with tooth capacity ranging from 28 to 34T and comes with a concave wheel screw for convenience. Weighing 9.9 oz, it is suitable for sports and outdoor travels.
If you are a person who loves frequent trail riding, then this mountain bicycle rear derailleur by Shimano should be your go-to choice! With its enhanced drivetrain technology along with optislick wire and DYNA-SYS, it is apt for forest/mountain riding. It is also equipped with optimized gear ratio and chain wrap capacity facilitating proper shifting even on uneven roads and pathways. This 10-speed bike derailleur smoothly shifts to all the 10 cogs between the 11-42 cassette, minimizing difficulty regarding gear shifts.
Every bike deserves a high-quality derailleur for its durability and performance! Here is one such rear bike derailleur by Dilwe. Known for its enhanced design and good quality, it controls the chain movements easily and ensures precise shifting. One of the most exciting features of this bike derailleur is that it manages proper gear ratios even under heavy load and acceleration. Compatible with 7 or 21-speed mountain bikes, this derailleur comes equipped with appropriate tooth-capacity and exquisite metal design with a long cage.
Do you prefer longevity over appearance or presentation? Then, this mountain bike rear derailleur by LINUGR may be an excellent choice! The installation of this bike derailleur is not difficult as it uses direct mount rear transmission instead of a suspended one. This is best suited for 6 and 7-speed mountain bikes with aluminum alloy components. With a rear dialler equipped in this derailleur, durability and excellent performance are ensured.
Trail riding could be dangerous without the right bike derailleur. This Microshift Advent Rear Derailleur with a clutch is designed with an enhanced drivetrain system, taking into consideration the requirements of a trail rider. The components of this derailleur have been intended to ensure crisp and precise shifting in all levels of gear ratios. The ratchet and pawl clutch equipped along the derailleur paves the path for smooth and regular chain movement with proper positioning of chainrings even on rough and muddy lands. This 9-speed bike derailleur with a chain wrap capacity of 11-46T is perhaps the best choice for a rider.
This rear derailleur by LQKYWNA is a black rear mech derailleur with a direct mount transmission. This splendid bike derailleur is easy to install, adjust, and remove and gives a classy look to your bike. With the SGS cage of this derailleur being compatible with 34-tooth sprockets, its longevity and efficiency are highly ensured. This 6 and 7-speed derailleur is suitable for mountain bikes, road bikes, and bicycles. Made of high-quality metal, you can rest assured that chainrings won’t break easily.
Choosing the right derailleur as per your requirement needs some patience and analyzing skills. There are a few factors that you need to consider before arriving at a decision.
How To Choose The Right Derailleur For Your Bike
A few factors that you need to consider before buying the right derailleur for your bike are as follows:
- Longevity: Whether you’re looking for a new rear/front derailleur or a replacement, longevity is one of the first factors that you need to be particular about. Aluminum or steel may be more long-lasting than plastic ones (although, it also depends on the brand and quality). The more durable it is, the more satisfied and comfortable you would be; thus, try to choose your product after ensuring its durability and performance.
- Gear ratio: Before purchasing a new bike derailleur, assess the number of gears that your setup can manage. If you are just replacing a broken/old one, you need to count the cogs in your cassette and ensure that the speed of the bike derailleur matches the speed of the shifter. When the right gear ratio isn’t ensured, you will end up breaking the rear/front derailleur.
- Cage length: The cage length is the distance between the upper and lower pulleys of a rear/front derailleur. Deciding on the best derailleur according to the cage length determines the speed, range, and shifting of your bike. Cage lengths are of three categories — short (SS), medium (GS), and long (SGS). Usually, mountain and trail bikes have high gear ratios, and thus long/medium cage derailleurs are preferred, whereas short cage derailleurs are used for road bikes possessing double chainsets.
- Mode of gear shift: Several products offer mechanical and electronic shifting. If you opt for electronic shifting, you need to choose a front derailleur with compatible gears and brake. The major difference between the modes is shifting movements. Electronic offers more precise shifting than mechanical.
- Tooth capacity: Tooth capacity refers to the difference between the smallest and largest cogs, which is then subtracted from the difference between the smallest and largest chainrings at the front. This represents the capacity of the derailleur with regards to the chain movement or slack. After assessing this, you need to purchase a rear/front derailleur that would fit your setup.
- Clutch: Clutch ensures precise shifting and chain movement even on bumps and muddy lands. Thus, rear/front derailleurs with a clutch would be best suited for trail and mountain bikes rather than road bikes. You need to make a choice according to your needs and current setup!
- Weight: The derailleur that you opt for must weigh in a way that is compatible with your bike/bicycle’s weight. Usually, mountain bike riders can go for a lower weighted derailleur for better control and command on rough terrain. In contrast, road bikers can have a slightly increased weighted derailleur. Lightweight bike derailleurs are the best option for trail riders and racers.
- Installation: Before choosing the best derailleur for your bike, check its simplicity and design. Many bike derailleurs are very complex to set up and may leave you frustrated. Check their mechanism, technology used, and other equipped features for an easy and simplified installation, adjustment, and removal.
Ensuring the best derailleur for your bike is not only important for its longevity and performance but is needed for your safety too! Most people love riding and traveling but are confused about choosing the right derailleur as there are many aspects that they need to look into. Hence, we compiled a list of 10 best derailleurs for your reference. So then, what are you waiting for? Go, find the best derailleur for your bike/bicycle and ride happily without any worry.