Tangled hair on your kids should be dealt with from time to time. It goes true if your kid has curly and wavy hair. To take care of their messy hair, you need the best detangler for kids. It should be formulated with organic ingredients that are gentle and soft on your child’s hair and skin. A detangler can smoothen out the hair, leaving it smooth and shiny. Here is our list of some expert-recommended detangler options for kids.
13 Best Detanglers For Kids
1. Best Gentle: SoCozy Curl Spray Leave-In Conditioner
SoCozy curl spray helps restore your kid’s curls and keeps them soft and bouncy. The gentle formula is enriched with vitamin B5 that helps to soften and repair the hair and provides deep hydration. It also contains jojoba and olive oils that can replenish, nourish, and strengthen your child’s hair. You can generously apply this detangler for curly hair on dry or damp hair to revive their natural curls. Check out this product testing video and learn about a tester’s experience with using the kid-safe detangling conditioner on her child.
- No parabens and phthalates
- Prevents frizz
- No synthetic colors and dyes
- Might be greasy
2. Best Hypoallergenic:Lane & Co Conditioning Detangler Spray
The conditioning kids’ hair detangler spray by Lane & Co is a plant-based, vegan product. This leave-in conditioner spray is designed to detangle a child’s stubborn tangles, leaving hair healthy and manageable. It contains nourishing ingredients like aloe and coconut oil that help separate and smooth tangles. Moreover, aloe leaf juice and rice protein nourish hair from the root to the tip. This hypoallergenic formula can tame frizz, static hair, flyaways, knots, and cowlicks.
- Safe option for daily use
- Used on wet and dry hair
- Cruelty-free and dermatologist-recommended
- Made without sulfates, parabens, silicones, DEA, and phthalates
- May have to be sprayed on the hand before running it through the hair
- Consistency might be heavy on thin hair
3. Best Static-Free: Fairy Tales Detangling Spray
The gentle detangling spray for children from Fairy Tales can keep your kid’s hair soft and silky. This static-free formula is fortified with keratin and aloe vera to strengthen and repair hair brittle hair strands. In addition, vitamin B and jojoba oil help provide hydration, while panthenol and vitamin D help eliminate frizz and promote healthy shine. Derived from plant extracts, this fuss-free solution allows gentle hair brushing and is a great option for kids.
- Paraben- and sulfate-free
- No toxins
- Dairy- and nut-free
- Organic oil
- Gluten- and soy-free
- No harmful chemicals
- Not tested on animals
- May leave an unpleasant smell
SoCozy Curl Spray Leave-In Conditioner
Lane & Co Conditioning Detangler Spray
Fairy Tales Detangling Spray
|Oily, Wavy, Frizzy, Curly, Damaged
|1 x 2.13 x 7.82 inches
|2 x 2 x 7 inches
|2 x 3 x 4 inches
4. Best Natural Ingredients: TotLogic Kids Detangler Spray
Containing natural organic ingredients, this detangler spray helps ease out frizz while retaining the hair’s softness. It is formulated with natural essential oils to provide nourishing treatment with deep hydration, and the formula is rich in antioxidants that help restore the hair’s natural health. Infused with bergamot’s natural fragrance, chamomile, and lavender essential oils, the nourishing formula of this tangle-free hair product for kids gives your hair a fresh and healthy look. Suitable for all types of hair, this leave-in conditioning spray helps eliminate frizz and flyaways.
- Formaldehyde- and sulfate-free
- No parabens
- No SLS, SLES, MEA, DEA, and TEA
- No artificial color or dyes
- May leave a sticky residue
5. Best Tear-Free: Johnson’s No More Tangles Detangling Spray
The two-pack spray helps eliminate frizz and retains the hair’s gentle bounce. You can apply it on dry and wet hair for deep nourishment and healthy shine. Its tear-free formula protects your child’s eyes from irritation and allows smooth and static-free combing to help maintain the natural curls with ease. You may check out this review video on YouTube.
- Paraben- and phthalate-free
- May leave residue
6. Best Cruelty-Free:Aussie Kids Moist Detangler For Kids
The Aussie Kids detangler spray is formulated to care for every child’s unique hair. Spraying it on the hair and combing it down helps with the detangling process. It moisturizes hair and keeps it free from knots, allowing you to style hair as preferred without the pain associated with tangled, knotted hair. This expert-recommended detangling leave-in conditioner for kids is an excellent option that effortlessly works on thin and thick hair.
- Free of harsh chemicals
- Nice fragrance
- Long-lasting formula
- Might leave hair slightly greasy
- May not be easy to use for some
7. Best Ophthalmologist-Tested: Suave Kids Detangler Spray
Suave’s six-pack detangler spray helps prevent fly-aways and tames knots. The berry-scented formula keeps your kid’s hair manageable for smooth combing. It is ophthalmologist-tested and expert-recommended formula is tested to be gentle on the eyes and helps prevent itchiness.
- No parabens
- May leave build-up
8. Best For All Hair Types: Original Sprout Miracle Detangler
The anti-frizz detangler spray is designed to suit all types of hair. It is crafted with the goodness of calendula and cucumber that penetrate your hair follicles to provide deep nourishment. The detangler also contains rosemary to soften your hair tangles and prevents fly-aways for a neat look. This gentle formula allows easy combing with your detangler brush. With pH 4.5 to 5.5, it protects your hair from environmental damage.
- Sulfate- and phthalate-free
- Available in a small quantity
9. Best For Sensitive Skin:Fresh Monster Kids Detangler Spray
The detangler spray by Fresh Monster uses plant-based ingredients and cleansers in its formulation. The fragrance is all-natural and subtle, as it avoids artificial fragrances. It contains fruit and botanical extracts, which make it safe to spray on a child’s hair without worrying about irritation. Spraying this dermatologist-tested detangler on a child’s hair leaves it moisturized, soft, and free of tangles. This vegan product does not test on animals and avoids synthetic ingredients.
- Safe for sensitive skin
- Suitable for all hair types
- Easy to use
- May need to dampen hair slightly before spraying
- May cause frizziness for some
10. Best All-Natural: Little Roseberry Hair Detangler Spray
The hair detangler spray from Little Roseberry is suitable for adults and children. It is fortified with organic aloe vera juice and white willow bark extract that help nourish your child’s hair and promote healthy hair growth. The all-natural formula contains healthy vitamins and minerals to repair damaged hair. This children’s hair detangling spray also contains antioxidant-rich rosemary that helps provide extra moisture. This lightweight spray works on fine, normal, and dry hair and helps maintain hair softness and shine.
- Kids paraben-and sulfate-free conditioner
- No artificial fragrance
- Not diluted
- No toxins
- Available in a small container
11. Best Non-Toxic: Luna Star Naturals Klee Kids Detangler
With the richness of botanical extracts, the detangler from Luna Star Naturals helps keep your child’s hair bouncy and conditioned. It is formulated with omega-3-rich argan oil and mango butter to nourish and hydrate the hair. The detangler also uses coconut oil and marshmallow extracts that help replenish and restore split-ends and stubborn tangles. The non-toxic formula has been tested for safety and is suitable for sensitive skin.
- Sulfate- and paraben-free
- Phthalate- and silicone-free
- No artificial colors
- No artificial fragrance
- Smell can be overwhelming
12. Best Scented: Suave Kids Disney Frozen Detangler Spray
The Suave Kids Disney detangler spray is designed to manage and style hair smoothly and effectively. The child-safe hair detangling formula has a fruity and pleasant scent of berries. The dermatologist-tested spray helps prevent split-ends and leaves behind bouncy, soft and silky hair. This effective detangler contains non-toxic ingredients to protect sensitive scalp.
- Prevents flyaways
- May not work on strong curls
13. Best Conditioning: Clean Kids Naturally Detangler
The banana-scented detangler is designed to help soften your kid’s hair and promote natural shine. The pump bottle design ensures the right amount of dispense to nourish your kids’ hair. It is crafted with the goodness of kiwi extract and seaweed to provide visible results and strengthen the hair and protect it from environmental damage.
- Paraben- and sulfate-free
- No synthetic colors
- 100% vegan
- May not be suitable for sensitive scalp
How To Choose The Right Detangler Spray For Kids?
Here are a few suggestions to consider when you buy a gentle hair detangling product for children.
- Kid-friendly: Ensure the detangler spray has a gentle formulation to suit your child’s sensitive skin. Prefer those with tear-free formulations and avoid those with potential irritants.
- Moisturizing: Buy a detangler with moisturizing benefits to keep your child’s hair and scalp hydrated and easy detangling.
- Hair type: Kids with curly, thin, and textured hair should use a moisturizing spray, while those with wavy or straight hair can skip the moisturizing element as they are easier to maintain.
- Fragrance: A pleasant fragrance can cheer your child up. A strong smell may put off your child, and they may be reluctant to get their hair done.
- Hypoallergenic: Pick dermatologist-tested, hypoallergenic detanglers with no potential allergens to avoid the risk of any adverse reactions.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I stop my child’s hair from tangling?
To protect your child’s hair from tangles, run a detangling comb through their hair before bath and use a gentle shampoo and conditioner. Use a kid-friendly hair detangling solution on damp hair and comb it thoroughly with a wide tooth comb. Also, trim the ends of their hair.
2. What causes knots and tangles in hair?
Sometimes, the cuticle of the hair gets damaged and causes split ends, resulting in hair knots and tangles. They can also be caused by heat, chemicals, lack of moisture, and failure to keep the hair and scalp clean.
3. Should I detangle when the hair is dry or wet?
Always detangle your hair when they are damp to prevent breakage and use a detangling brush for kids for best results.
4. Are children’s detanglers good for hair?
It depends on the ingredients used. Paraben-, sulfate-, and dye-free children’s detanglers could be comparatively safer compared to detanglers for adults and help ease out hair tangles and knots. Opt for kid-friendly hair care brands to protect your child’s hair and skin.
5. How do I detangle my toddler’s hair?
One of the effective ways is to spray a non-toxic and compatible detangler solution on your toddler’s damp hair before combing them.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag is passionate about reviewing beauty and personal care products, and she recommends the best products based on detailed research and customer feedback. In this post, she has compiled a list of the best detanglers for kids with harmless and gentle ingredients that do not damage their delicate hair. She mentions the features of each product, such as paraben and sulfate-free formulas, and how it improves hair quality and boosts healthy hair growth. She also mentions their cons, such as unpleasant smell, so that you can objectively choose the right product.
The last thing you would want before sending your child to school in the morning or when getting ready for an outing is dealing with your child’s detangled hair. Thankfully, the best detangler sprays for kids can help you revive your child’s curls, remove knots, and tame hair frizz and flyaways effortlessly. The best detangler sprays for children are formulated with botanical extracts and are free of harsh ingredients and chemicals that can irritate your child’s scalp, eyes, or skin. They also come with hydrating properties and a pleasant fragrance.
Infographic: How To Use A Detangler Spray?
A detangler spray can smoothly and gently remove the tangles from the hair without hurting your child. However, using it correctly is essential to get the desired results. So, go through the following infographic to learn the fundamentals of using a detangler spray on your child.
- Best Glitter Hair Sprays
- Best Hair Lightening Sprays
- Best Natural Hair Products For Kids
- Best Hair Conditioners For Kids