Baby cloth diapers need regular cleaning of stubborn stains and sanitization to ensure their healthy use for the babies. However, hard water, prominent across locations, makes it difficult to clean these diapers thoroughly. It thus becomes necessary to find the best detergent for cloth diapers that ensures thorough cleaning of your baby’s clothes.
We bring you our list of the best laundry detergents that provide optimum cleaning of cloth diapers for your child.
Top Products From Our List
11 Best Detergents For Cloth Diapers
The baby liquid laundry detergent soap from the Dreft store has a natural, newborn-centric liquid formulation that leaves no harsh effects on the tender skin of infants using cloth diapers. Combined in a pack of two, it can provide cleaning for up to 64 loads.
- Safe to use and specially formulated for active infants
- Hypoallergenic properties make it safe for sensitive skin
- Presence of sodium citrate turns hard water softer
- Baby food stain removal by up to 99%
- Helps remove grass stains
- Compatible with high efficiency (HE) and standard washers
- Not cruelty-free
- Shifting from Stage 1 to 2 cleaning may turn out harsh for sensitive skin
- May have an unpleasant odor
The OxiClean baby stain soaker for cloth diapers has a perfume-free and dye-free formulation. Packed in a 3lb weight capacity, it is available in crystal form and requires dissolution in water before using. It is gentle and firmly removes stubborn stains from baby cloth diapers, leaving them fresh, clean, and anew.
- Baby-safe, chlorine-free formulation
- Helpful in cleaning all baby clothes, accessories, and bedding
- Strong, fiber-deep cleaning
- Requires six hours of soaking for effective cleaning
- Detergent crystals may not dissolve thoroughly in hard water
- May find difficulty cleaning mature stains
The fragrance-free baby laundry detergent for cloth diapers from Babyganics comes in a 3.75lb bottle, available as a liquid cleaner. Its sulfur-free formulation makes it safe for baby cloth cleaning. Absence of optical brighteners, chlorine, phosphates, and other toxins makes it soft on the cloth and your baby’s sensitive skin.
- Plant-based natural formulation
- Cleans tough stains with triple-concentration
- High HE compatibility
- 3X stain-fighting properties
- Non-allergenic, cruelty-free formulation
- Backed by dermatology-based tests
- Requires only ½ to ¾ cap for a normal to heavy load
- May keep off after-wash freshness
- Bottle does not come with a pouring spout
The mighty bubbles laundry treatment solution from GroVia has deep fabric protection properties. It helps keep the cloth diaper soft as new even after wash and ensures safety for sensitive skin of infants. It is available as a 10-pod set, weighs around 0.10lb, and is specially formulated with cloth diaper cleaning needs.
- Easy pod dissolution for uniform laundry treatment
- Suits hot wash with an extra rinse
- Keeps the cloth diapers free of any build-up
- Free of animal cruelty and toxic ammonia, ethers, and alcohol
- Sourced from non-harmful natural ingredients,
- Might lead to rash development without thorough rinsing post-treatment
The RLR natural powder laundry detergent helps refresh frequently used diapers and whitens and brightens the fabric fibers for renewed freshness. It is an unscented, phosphate-free strong detergent available in concentrated formulation for deep fabric cleaning and sanitization.
- Easily cleans tough blots of grease, tea stain, and mineral traces from food
- Useful for regular wash, pre-soaking, and prewash cycles
- Suitable for white and colored clothing
- Helps with fabric damage and soiling restoration
- Softens hard water quickly
- 100% safe for sensitive skin
- May carry chemical-like odor
The laundry powder from Charlie’s Soap is made from naturally derived ingredients and has a soothing fragrance. It comes packed in a refillable jar, is eco-friendly, and can be used for up to 100 washing loads. Its hypoallergenic properties and deep cleaning are safe for sensitive skin and effective in cleaning delicate fabric.
- Thorough rinsing of stain and smell
- Deep cleaning with complete fabric care
- No artificial brighteners or fragrances
- Requires only a tablespoon of detergent for single-load cleaning
- Comes with EPA safety certification
- May not eliminate stubborn stains completely
The platinum series dirty diaper laundry detergent powder from Rockin’ Green is eco-friendly and naturally sourced for cloth diaper cleaning. Packed in a 2.81lb bag, it can serve up to 90 front loads of non-toxic cleaning. The cruelty-free detergent is safe for sensitive skin and cleans tough stains easily, restoring the initial fabric delicateness.
- Provides deep fabric cleaning through activated enzymes
- Helps eliminate foul odor from clothing
- Non-allergic, dermatologist-tested formulation
- Suits cleaning all baby clothes and other laundry
- Toxic-free, safe detergent
- Some may find it harsh on sensitive skin type
Classic rock laundry detergent powder is another product from Rockin’ Green with an eco-friendly formulation. You can use the laundry detergent to wash up to 90 loads of clothing. While it is unscented, it removes foul odor from cloth diapers thoroughly through deep rinsing.
- Eco-friendly formulation safe for children
- Gentle and powerful cleaning
- Can clean all baby clothing and accessories
- Free of toxins, such as parabens and optical brighteners
- Cruelty-free and biodegradable wash
- Detergent may build up in the washing machine
- Lacks in complete dirt removal
The Seventh Generation concentrated baby laundry detergent for cloth diapers comes in two-pack, weighing 5lb with fresh fragrance and strong cleaning capacity. Available in a liquid form, it is made of plant-based ingredients. With natural formulation, it is safe for kids’ wear because of their extra-sensitive skin.
- Concentrated liquid targets tough stains for thorough cleaning
- Made of 97% plant-based ingredients
- 95% USDA-certified bio-based detergent
- No synthetic fragrances or toxic compounds
- No artificial brighteners
- Suitable for all baby clothing and other laundry
- May irritate the eyes if brought in contact
- Tough stains are not entirely removable
The powdered laundry detergent from Planet Ultra comes packed in a set of four detergent packs, weighing 4.44lb. It is unscented but helps eliminate any foul smell from the cloth diapers efficiently. A safe detergent for cloth diapers, it is completely phosphate-free and suitable for sensitive skin.
- Certified biodegradable formulation
- Suits standard and HE washers
- 100% animal cruelty-free
- Free of dyes or synthetic preservatives
- Environment-friendly, biodegradable ingredients
- Light clothing odor may remain even after cleaning
The laundry detergent from Nellie’s All Natural is formulated especially for the sensitive skin of infants. It comes in a refillable tin with a cleaning capacity of 80 wash loads at 2.35lb, making it one of the strongest laundry detergents with high safety. The laundry detergent powder is suitable for cleaning all types of clothing.
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Made of fragrance-free formulation
- Non-allergenic cleaning
- Natural cloth brightening with oxygen brightener
- Helps remove stubborn stains on the cloth diaper
- Only one spoon of detergent needed for a general load cleaning
- Tin lid is not easy to handle when pouring detergent
- May have low stain removal capacity for some fabrics
How To Choose The Right Detergent For Cloth Diapers?
Here are some essential factors to consider while buying a detergent for cloth diapers.
- Ingredients: Ensure there are no toxic compounds for detergent formulation. Other ingredients to look for include fabric softeners, cloth brighteners, etc.
- Fragrance: While artificial fragrance addition improves the detergent’s odor and leaves the cloth smelling fresh, it can be harmful to an infant’s skin, leading to irritations and rashes.
- Detergent type: You can get these laundry detergents in liquid and powder forms. Choose between the two based on your suitability, the hardness of water, and other similar requirements.
- High-efficiency wash-compatibility: It is ideal for a cloth diaper detergent to be compatible with high efficiency and regular washes due to the need for thorough rinsing of tough cloth diaper stains.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the difference between cloth diaper detergent and cloth diaper soap?
While detergents can be made of naturally derived ingredients, soaps contain harmful substances, such as softeners and fats. When it comes to baby cloth diaper cleaning, it is safe to go for a detergent wash rather than a soap.
2. What are the different types of laundry diaper detergents?
Laundry diaper detergents are primarily available as liquid and powder washing formulas. However, other types are based on wash compatibility, ingredient use, and other factors.
Keep the factors in mind to find out the best detergent for cloth diapers to keep your infant’s clothes sanitized and thoroughly cleaned. You can optimize this selection by comparing available detergent options, their features, and reviews.