Baby cloth diapers need to be cleaned and sanitized regularly to ensure your baby’s hygiene isn’t compromised. If hard water makes it difficult to clean, here’s our list of the best detergents for cloth diapers to make your work easier. These detergents help clean your baby’s cloth diapers thoroughly, leaving them soft and fresh. They ensure squeaky clean cloth diapers for your baby after each wash and fight tough stains easily. Read on to choose one that suits your needs.
Our Top Picks
11 Best Detergents For Cloth Diapers
1. Best Hypoallergenic: Dreft Stage 2 Baby Liquid Laundry Detergent Soap
The baby liquid laundry detergent soap from the Dreft store has a natural, newborn-centric liquid formulation that leaves no harsh effects on the tender skin of infants using cloth diapers. Combined in a pack of two, it can provide cleaning for up to 64 loads. Watch this video for more information about the product.
- Safe to use and specially formulated for active infants
- Hypoallergenic properties make it safe for sensitive skin
- Presence of sodium citrate turns hard water softer
- Baby food stain removal by up to 99%
- Helps remove grass stains
- Compatible with high efficiency (HE) and standard washers
- Not cruelty-free
- Shifting from Stage 1 to 2 cleaning may turn out harsh for sensitive skin
- May have an unpleasant odor
2. Best For Stubborn Stains: OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover Baby Stain Soaker
The OxiClean baby stain soaker for cloth diapers has a perfume-free and dye-free formulation. Packed in a 3lb weight capacity, it is available in crystal form and requires dissolution in water before using. It is gentle and firmly removes stubborn stains from baby cloth diapers, leaving them fresh, clean, and anew. This video helps you know more about the product.
- Baby-safe, chlorine-free formulation
- Helpful in cleaning all baby clothes, accessories, and bedding
- Strong, fiber-deep cleaning
- Requires six hours of soaking for effective cleaning
- Detergent crystals may not dissolve thoroughly in hard water
- May find difficulty cleaning mature stains
3. Best Cruetly-Free: Babyganics 3X Baby Laundry Detergent
The fragrance-free baby laundry detergent for cloth diapers from Babyganics comes in a 3.75lb bottle, available as a liquid cleaner. Its sulfur-free formulation makes it safe for baby cloth cleaning. Absence of optical brighteners, chlorine, phosphates, and other toxins makes it soft on the cloth and your baby’s sensitive skin.
- Plant-based natural formulation
- Cleans tough stains with triple-concentration
- High HE compatibility
- 3X stain-fighting properties
- Non-allergenic, cruelty-free formulation
- Backed by dermatology-based tests
- Requires only ½ to ¾ cap for a normal to heavy load
- May keep off after-wash freshness
- Bottle does not come with a pouring spout
4. Best For Easy Dissolution: GroVia Mighty Bubbles Laundry Treatment For Baby Cloth Diapers
The mighty bubbles laundry treatment solution from GroVia has deep fabric protection properties. It helps keep the cloth diaper soft as new even after wash and ensures safety for sensitive skin of infants. It is available as a 10-pod set, weighs around 0.10lb, and is specially formulated with cloth diaper cleaning needs. Check out this video to know more about this product.
- Easy pod dissolution for uniform laundry treatment
- Suits hot wash with an extra rinse
- Keeps the cloth diapers free of any build-up
- Free of animal cruelty and toxic ammonia, ethers, and alcohol
- Sourced from non-harmful natural ingredients,
- Might lead to rash development without thorough rinsing post-treatment
5. Best HE-Compatible: Cadie RLR Natural Powder Laundry Detergent
The RLR natural powder laundry detergent helps refresh frequently used diapers and whitens and brightens the fabric fibers for renewed freshness. It is an unscented, phosphate-free strong detergent available in concentrated formulation for deep fabric cleaning and sanitization.
- Easily cleans tough blots of grease, tea stain, and mineral traces from food
- Useful for regular wash, pre-soaking, and prewash cycles
- Suitable for white and colored clothing
- Helps with fabric damage and soiling restoration
- Softens hard water quickly
- 100% safe for sensitive skin
- May carry chemical-like odor
6. Best Fragrance: Charlie’s Soap Laundry Powder 100 Load Jar
The laundry powder from Charlie’s Soap is made from naturally derived ingredients and has a soothing fragrance. It comes packed in a refillable jar, is eco-friendly, and can be used for up to 100 washing loads. Its hypoallergenic properties and deep cleaning are safe for sensitive skin and effective in cleaning delicate fabric.
- Thorough rinsing of stain and smell
- Deep cleaning with complete fabric care
- No artificial brighteners or fragrances
- Requires only a tablespoon of detergent for single-load cleaning
- Comes with EPA safety certification
- May not eliminate stubborn stains completely
7. Best Dermatolgist-Tested Formula: Rockin’ Green Platinum Series Dirty Diaper Laundry Detergent Powder
The platinum series dirty diaper laundry detergent powder from Rockin’ Green is eco-friendly and naturally sourced for cloth diaper cleaning. Packed in a 2.81lb bag, it can serve up to 90 front loads of non-toxic cleaning. The cruelty-free detergent is safe for sensitive skin and cleans tough stains easily, restoring the initial fabric delicateness.
- Provides deep fabric cleaning through activated enzymes
- Helps eliminate foul odor from clothing
- Non-allergic, dermatologist-tested formulation
- Suits cleaning all baby clothes and other laundry
- Toxic-free, safe detergent
- Some may find it harsh on sensitive skin type
8. Best Eco-Friendly: Rockin’ Green Classic Rock Laundry Detergent Powder
Classic rock laundry detergent powder is another product from Rockin’ Green with an eco-friendly formulation. You can use the laundry detergent to wash up to 90 loads of clothing. While it is unscented, it removes foul odor from cloth diapers thoroughly through deep rinsing.
- Eco-friendly formulation safe for children
- Gentle and powerful cleaning
- Can clean all baby clothing and accessories
- Free of toxins, such as parabens and optical brighteners
- Cruelty-free and biodegradable wash
- Detergent may build up in the washing machine
- Lacks in complete dirt removal
9. Best USDA-Certified: Seventh Generation Concentrated Baby Laundry Detergent
The Seventh Generation concentrated baby laundry detergent for cloth diapers comes in two-pack, weighing 5lb with fresh fragrance and strong cleaning capacity. Available in a liquid form, it is made of plant-based ingredients. With natural formulation, it is safe for kids’ wear because of their extra-sensitive skin.
- Concentrated liquid targets tough stains for thorough cleaning
- Made of 97% plant-based ingredients
- 95% USDA-certified bio-based detergent
- No synthetic fragrances or toxic compounds
- No artificial brighteners
- Suitable for all baby clothing and other laundry
- May irritate the eyes if brought in contact
- Tough stains are not entirely removable
10. Best Biodegradable: Planet Ultra Powdered Laundry Detergent
The powdered laundry detergent from Planet Ultra comes packed in a set of four detergent packs, weighing 4.44lb. It is unscented but helps eliminate any foul smell from the cloth diapers efficiently. A safe detergent for cloth diapers, it is completely phosphate-free and suitable for sensitive skin.
- Certified biodegradable formulation
- Suits standard and HE washers
- 100% animal cruelty-free
- Free of dyes or synthetic preservatives
- Environment-friendly, biodegradable ingredients
- Light clothing odor may remain even after cleaning
11. Best Fragrance-Free Formula: Nellie’s All Natural Baby Powder Laundry Detergent Tin
The laundry detergent from Nellie’s All Natural is formulated especially for the sensitive skin of infants. It comes in a refillable tin with a cleaning capacity of 80 wash loads at 2.35lb, making it one of the strongest laundry detergents with high safety. The laundry detergent powder is suitable for cleaning all types of clothing.
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Made of fragrance-free formulation
- Non-allergenic cleaning
- Natural cloth brightening with oxygen brightener
- Helps remove stubborn stains on the cloth diaper
- Only one spoon of detergent needed for a general load cleaning
- Tin lid is not easy to handle when pouring detergent
- May have low stain removal capacity for some fabrics
How To Choose The Right Detergent For Cloth Diapers?
Here are some essential factors to consider while buying a detergent for cloth diapers.
- Ingredients: Ensure there are no toxic compounds for detergent formulation. Other ingredients to look for include fabric softeners, cloth brighteners, etc.
- Fragrance: While artificial fragrance addition improves the detergent’s odor and leaves the cloth smelling fresh, it can be harmful to an infant’s skin, leading to irritations and rashes.
- Detergent type: You can get these laundry detergents in liquid and powder forms. Choose between the two based on your suitability, the hardness of water, and other similar requirements.
- High-efficiency wash-compatibility: It is ideal for a cloth diaper detergent to be compatible with high efficiency and regular washes due to the need for thorough rinsing of tough cloth diaper stains.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the difference between cloth diaper detergent and cloth diaper soap?
While detergents can be made of naturally derived ingredients, soaps contain harmful substances, such as softeners and fats. When it comes to baby cloth diaper cleaning, it is safe to go for a detergent wash rather than a soap.
2. What are the different types of laundry diaper detergents?
Laundry diaper detergents are primarily available as liquid and powder washing formulas. However, other types are based on wash compatibility, ingredient use, and other factors.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah specializes in products and necessities for kids. In this post on the best detergents for cloth diapers, he has created a curated list of detergents after reviewing their user feedback and product listings. After conducting extensive research, he has also prepared a buying guide to help you choose the right product. The detergents are tough enough to remove stubborn stains but gentle on the fabric.
While cloth diapers are eco-friendly options, they require proper maintenance. Thus, you need the best detergents for cloth diapers to ensure that your baby wears clean and hygienic diapers every time. When choosing a detergent for cloth diapers, you should ensure that it is free of synthetic fragrances and toxic compounds and is gentle so that it does not irritate your baby’s delicate skin or cause rashes. Finally, pick one that is compatible with your washing machine.
- Best Dishwasher Detergents For Hard Water
- Best Baby Laundry Detergents
- Best Dishwasher Detergents
- Best Dish Soaps For Baby Bottles
- Best Cleaning Caddies