The best development toy for a 6-month-old should intrigue your baby. Development toys help develop the baby’s motor skills and boost their creativity.
A six-month-old is curious and fascinated by the world around them. Therefore, engaging them with toys that enhance their curiosity is a great idea. These developmental toys can also help your little one achieve their milestones. So, keep scrolling to find the best toy for your baby.
Our Top Picks
13 Best Development Toys For A 6-Month-Old
1. Best Easy-to-Grasp: Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball
The Sassy developmental bumpy ball features vibrant colors and exquisite patterns with easy-to-grasp bumps. Multiple textures of the balleng age the little one’s developing tactile sensitivity. Its soft rattle sounds help create neural connections in the baby’s brain. You can use this ball to help them practice reaching for things, learning to grasp them, and transferring from one hand to another. The contrasting colors work well to enhance your child’s focus and vision.
2. Best For Encouraging Crawling: VTech Wiggle and Crawl Ball
VTech’s interactive wiggle and crawl ball features more than 45 playful songs, melodies, sounds, and cheerful phrases to help keep babies engaged. The fun toy encourages your little one to crawl after it. It has six interactive animals, including a dog, a cat, a bear, a bird, a bunny, and a turtle. You can help develop your child’s motor skills, sensory stimulation, and language skills with this visually engaging toy. Equipped with five flashing lights, the spinning and twisting animals can keep your baby intrigued. Suitable for babies from six months to three years, this toy requires three AA batteries to operate.
3. Best For Honing Hand-Eye Coordination: Fisher-Price Rock-a-Stack and Baby’s First Blocks Bundle
The two-toy set includes ten colorful blocks and five colorful rings. The five unique openings in the storage box encourage babies to identify them and put blocks through their respective slots. The set helps little kids understand the concept of sizes and shapes. It can help improve your child’s hand-eye coordination and dexterity.
4. Best For Developing Motor Skills: Skip Hop Developmental Learning Crawl Toy
Skip Hop 3-stage developmental learning crawl toy comes with several colorful lights and sounds. Your baby’s hands will stay active as they rattle, crinkle, and explore the toy. This toy encourages crawling and chasing through three stages of discovery, motor skills, and sensory development. The toy’s removable bee has moveable beads and rubberized details for teething, and the cloud keeps spinning in its place when the bee is removed.
5. Best For Teaching Animal Sounds: Homofy Baby Toys Musical Learning Table
Suitable for babies aged six months to one year, this unique toy comes with lights, classic melodies, and vibrant colors. The keys do, re, mi, fa on the table help introduce babies to music, and the table clock pointer lights up and plays different musical notes on reaching different areas of the toy. You can also play the voices of various animals such as a bird, an elephant, a dog, and a giraffe. This portable toy is made from non-toxic ABS plastic and requires 1.5V AA batteries.
6. Best For Introducing Music: NextX Baby Musical Toys
Made of non-toxic, high-quality ABS plastic, the baby musical toy from NextX features three kinds of sounds for musical instruments, songs, and animal sounds that you can play by pressing the center button. Equipped with six piano keyboards, three-hand drums, and three musical instrument buttons, the creative toy helps babies hear and learn different fun sounds. It helps enhance hand-eye coordination and finger flexibility and features a button with three modes for volume adjustment.
7. Best Visually Appealing: Splashin’kidsJumbo Roller
The Splashin’kidsjumbo roller is a well-built playtime toy made from heavy-duty PVC. It works well to develop your baby’s neck and shoulder muscles and helps enhance their fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination. With visually appealing animal graphics, this toy can help develop your child’s puzzle-solving skills. The package comes with two rattle balls and one LEDlight ball.
8. Best For Tummy Time: UnihRoly Poly Baby Toys
The interactive tummy time toy has the ideal size and weight to fit in your baby’s hand. Your baby can hold and push this toy to help enhance their sensory development, balance training, muscles, and hand-eye coordination. Thein-built bell works effectively to soothe your baby. With BPA-free teethers, the toy is unbreakable and suitable for babies up to 18 months.
9. Best For Developing Grasping Skills: Mixi Baby Toys Blocks
Mixi’s BPA-free, soft building toy blocks are easy to squeeze and suitable for babies and toddlers. Featuring 12 pieces with different designs, the blocks have colorful animals, shapes, fruits, and children embossed on them for visual exploration. The rounded design makes it easy to hold and grab and ensures sensory, cognitive, social, and motor skills development. Your baby can easily stack and chew these blocks and count them to learn numbers and problem-solving during playtime.
10. Best Lightweight: KidsthrillRainbow Nesting & Stacking Cups Baby Building Set
Made from premium-quality plastic material, this building set is suitable for newborns, infants, and toddlers and is free of toxic materials, such as BPA, phosphate, and lead. This ten-piece stack helps develop hand-eye skills and motor control in babies. Your baby can learn to sort sizes, count till ten, and learn colors, encouraging brain development. Each cup has an animal character embossed on its bottom. This lightweight, ring-shaped toy makes stacking easy for kids.
11. Best For Sensory Development: TemiNewborn Baby Rattle and Teether Ball
The rattle and teether ball for newborns works well to enhance their problem-solving skills, fine motor skills, and sensory development. Its rubber rings are suitable for gripping and chewing. Made from 100% natural silicone rubber, the teething ball is gentle on your baby’s gums and aptly sized for their little fingers. This BPA- and PVC-free toy is suitable for infants.
12. Best For Developing Imagination: Agreatlife Rainmaker Baby Toys
Suitable for babies of six months to twelve months, the music rainmaker toy helps develop their gross motor skills, hand-eye coordination, auditory skills, and imagination. The entertaining toy plays delightful rain sounds and doesn’t require any batteries. Free of toxins, you can tip this durable toy upside down to observe and listen to the colorful beads of the rainstick rattle.
13. Best For Honing Visual Tracking Skills: VanmorCrawling Baby Musical Toys
Vanmorcaterpillar-shaped baby musical toy comes with soft lights and various music to attract babies to crawl and chase. You can press the center ball to flatten the inchworm or push it with your free hand to make the toy move. Its front wheel has a vortex graphic design to help enhance the baby’s visual skills, while the rear wheel produces a rustling sound to boost the auditory abilities. Made from premium-quality ABS material, the toy is lightweight, durable, and easy to carry, helping to build your child’s muscle strength.
6-Month-Old Baby Development Milestones
Here are some of the major developmental milestones that your baby will attain at six months.
- Physical Development: During this time, your baby might be getting their first set of teeth and be able to sit without any support. They may also start crawling and trying to reach for things that catch their attention. This is also the stage of bouncing where little ones can’t keep still for even a moment.
- Senses: Your tiny tot will be able to see well across a room without confusion. Focusing on things and differentiating between colors will become easier for them. Recognizing familiar faces and responding to their name are a few other sensory developments that will take place at this stage.
- Brain: Your baby may start responding to different names being called in a room. Their brain will also help them with the babbling sounds when trying to string words together. Emotions such as happiness, anger, sadness, and jealousy will start developing inside them and may reflect in their responses towards others.
How To Choose The Right Developmental Toy For A 6-Month-Old?
Check this list of essential factors before buying a developmental toy for your six-month-old baby.
- Safety: Choose a toy made from premium-quality materials and free of toxins, such as PVC, BPA, and lead. This will ensure your baby’s safety.
- Skill development: The toy should ensure skill development such as motor skills, sensory development, visual skills, and imagination. Such toys will not only entertain the baby but also help in their overall development.
- Attractive: Pick a toy that is visually appealing and will keep your little one engaged for a longer time. Babies tend to have short attention spans, thus make sure to choose something stimulating.
- Lightweight: A portable and easy-to-carry toy will make your baby independent as they’ll be able to carry it around without needing assistance. Such toys will also occupy minimal space and are easy to store.
The developmental toys for your six-month-old can help enhance their motor skills, hand-eye coordination, sensory skills, visual skills, etc. Choose from our list of the best development toys for six-month-old to help improve your baby’s playtime with fun learning.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Buying toys for children can be cumbersome when you have to go through different websites and narrow down your choices. Priti Bose writes on children’s gifts, toys, and more, and her well-researched articles prioritize your child’s interests and safety. In this article, she has listed the best developmental toys for 6-month-olds kids to help keep them engaged and improve their cognitive skills. These toys are child-friendly and made of high-quality, safe materials. She has also incorporated user reviews to offer you an unbiased opinion.