DHT or dihydrotestosterone is a hormone, the excess secretion of which often leads to hair loss and affects the hair follicles by causing inflammation. The best DHT blocker shampoos disrupt this growth of hormones. The ability of the shampoo to stop hair loss is dependent on how effective it is at blocking DHT from reaching the hair follicles.
Some of these shampoos also combine other ingredients such as vitamins B12 and B6 with essential oils to nourish the hair and scalp. Thus, they not only prevent hair loss but also augment hair growth.
In this post, we guide you in understanding how DHT and hormonal imbalance affect your hair and give you a few tips on choosing the right shampoo to combat hair fall. So, read on to learn more about some of the best DHT blocking shampoos you can choose.
Our Top Picks
11 Best DHT Blocker Shampoos
1. Best Hypoallergenic: Pura D’Or Original Gold Label Anti-Hair Thinning Shampoo
The natural DHT blocker shampoo is an effective and natural, plant-based formula known to reduce hair thinning and breakage, promoting hair strength and thickness along with increased volume in just eight weeks. It’s formulated with 24 exotic and rare ingredients of which 17 are DHT blockers. These ingredients like biotin, nettle extract, saw palmetto, pygeum bark extract, Indian gooseberry oil, pumpkin seed oil, black cumin seed oil, red korean seaweed, argan oil, he shou wu, aloe vera, tea tree extract, niacin, and vitamin E are extremely potent and reduce the thinning of hair. They improve blood circulation to the scalp, hydrate, reduce hair brittleness, strengthen the hair shaft, and promote hair growth. This hypoallergenic, vegan, and cruelty-free shampoo contains no parabens or gluten and is safe to use.
- Organic ingredients help replenish hair’s moisture content
- Effectively targets hair roots for better growth
- Helps circulate key ingredients to improve hair growth
- Clinically tested to reduce breakage
- Works as a color-treatment shampoo
- Suitable for everyday use
- USDA-certified bio-based product
- May not suit straight hair
- Some may not like the smell
2. Best Hair-Restoring: Pure Biology RevivaHair Shampoo
This hair restore shampoo is packed with biotin, keratin, coconut oil, castor oil, vitamin B and E, saw palmetto, rosemary oil, green tea extracts, and many more natural ingredients. Together, they prevent hair breakage and hair loss and stimulate hair growth. Amino kera NPNF keratin complex is a natural source of cysteine and hydrates the hair by deeper penetration into the hair follicle, and prevents thinning, breakage, and split ends. Procapil targets the main causes of alopecia like poor scalp circulation, follicle aging, and follicle atrophy caused by DHT to prevent hair loss for both men and women. This gentle DHT removal shampoo can be used everyday and adds volume, strength, and thickness to hair while stimulating hair regrowth. This shampoo is also GMO-free, cruelty-free, and paraben-free.
- Natural oils nourish hair from root to tip
- Removes buildup in hair by cleansing gently
- Suitable for all hair types and colored hair
- Cleanses and moisturizes scalp gently
- Available in packs of one and two
- May not be child-friendly
- May have a runny consistency
3. Best For Thinning And Balding: Pronexa Propidren Hair Regrowth And DHT Blocking Shampoo
The natural DHT blocker shampoo has a powerful combination of potent ingredients that create ideal conditions for hair regrowth and also prevent hair loss by strengthening and fortifying your hair and hair follicles. This enriching formula is infused with aloe vera and seaweed extracts that moisturize and heal your scalp while reducing hair fall, thinning, and shedding. It also adds thickness and volume to your hair and nourishing vitamins and proteins, like biotin, strengthen weak and brittle hair. Biotin produces keratin, increases hair elasticity to minimize breakage, and gives your hair a protective layer to prevent it from becoming weak. This DHT removal shampoo is also enriched with saw palmetto and other powerful DHT blockers that help prevent the production of DHT that causes hair loss.
- Helps induce growth of hair and skin cells
- Clinically proven to be effective
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Works for men and women
- May require more quantity to lather up
- May require three months of usage for results
4. Best For All Hair Types: Shapiro MD DHT Blocking Shampoo
The triple-action formula of this shampoo can bless you with thicker hair within 60 days. Formulated after decades of research, this advanced formula blocks DHT which is considered to be the main cause of hair loss. This DHT removal shampoo contains three powerful and natural DHT-blocking ingredients in precise amounts for best results, and is designed for use by men and women and for all hair types. These active ingredients are caffeine, saw palmetto berry extract, and green tea polyphenols, commonly known as EGCG, that have been shown in clinical studies to block the effects of DHT. Recommended by dermatologists, this vegan and cruelty-free shampoo contains no parabens or sulfates.
- Cleanses without depleting moisture
- Supports hair’s natural growth cycle
- Patented formulation for maximum results
- Helps add lustrous and healthy sheen
- Available in three sizes and with leave-in foam
- Some may find the fragrance to be strong
- May cause an itchy sensation for some
5. Best For Hair Strengthening: Pure Body Naturals Hair Loss Prevention Therapy Shampoo
Developed to prevent hair loss and stimulate healthy hair growth, this DHT-blocking shampoo is formulated with 14 DHT blockers, essential vitamins, and oils. Biotin, niacin, argan oil, and antioxidants work together to promote healthier and shinier hair. Biotin strengthens the hair strands, niacin increases blood circulation to the scalp, and the natural plant extracts promote healthy hair growth. This gentle shampoo nourishes and fortifies hair follicles to heal the damage. This shampoo has a warm and woodsy fragrance, suitable for both men and women. This shampoo contains no parabens, sulfates, or harmful chemicals, and is safe to use by all.
- Rich in vitamin E for moisturizing hair
- Encourages flow of oxygen and nutrients into follicles
- Shampoo lathers well upon usage
- Dispensing pump may be tight and slow
- May require dilution to reduce concentration
6. Best For Hair Regrowth: Hair Restoration Laboratories Hair Restore Shampoo
This natural DHT blocker shampoo is gentle enough for daily use and serves as a foundation for preventing hair loss and thinning for both men and women. It’s an amazing blend of over 20 potent ingredients to block DHT, including saw palmetto, caffeine, green tea, pumpkin seed oil, black cumin oil, cayenne fruit extract, reishi mushroom extract, pygeum bark extract, among other natural ingredients. It also contains a powerhouse of nutrients, vitamins, and extracts that promote the regrowth of healthier, stronger, and thicker hair. Recommended by hair loss specialists, it improves hair strength and adds volume. This shampoo is free of sulfates, parabens, silicones, and other artificial and harmful chemicals.
- Optimizes scalp health
- Safe to use on chemically treated hair
- Blend of amino acids and essential oils
- Helps in nourishing the hair follicles
- May lead to buildup for some
- May lack consistency
7. Best For Color-Treated Hair: Shiny Leaf DHT Blocker Shampoo
This DHT blocker shampoo is an effective solution for hair loss as it contains potent natural DHT blockers like rosemary leaf oil and asparagus extracts, as well as vitamins E and biotin for hair growth. It cleanses your hair, promotes hair regrowth, and blocks DHT that shrinks hair follicles and eventually leads to hair loss. Essential nutrients and hydrating extracts found in this incredible shampoo all work together to nourish your hair and save it from dryness and dullness. Biotin and the other DHT-blocking ingredients ensure that your hair follicles are not harmed while re-energizing dormant follicles for hair regrowth. Your hair becomes healthier and more resilient to breakage as it grows longer and stronger every day. It has a long-lasting, fresh fragrance and can be used by both men and women. This DHT removal shampoo is free of parabens and sulfates and can be used with colored or treated hair as well.
- Safe enough to be used on curly hair
- Castor oil stimulates hair follicles for better growth
- Frizz-free and soft finish
- Helps keep a check on dandruff
- Available in three packs
- Solution may be watery
- May make the scalp itchy for some
8. Best Vegetarian: Advanced Trichology HairStem Shampoo
The anti-DHT shampoo combines the power of many nutrients for hair loss treatment into one bottle. It’s a blend of anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and DHT-suppressing herbs that stimulate hair growth and strengthen hair roots and follicles. It’s an infusion of biotin, saw palmetto, tea tree oil, aloe vera, arnica montana, olive leaf extract, grapefruit seeds, spearmint oil, grape seeds, jojoba oil, and lavender. This natural DHT blocker shampoo with powerful vitamins, herbs, and DHT blockers is ideal for both men and women, and has a pleasant lavender and rosemary fragrance. This 100% vegetarian shampoo is cruelty-free and is also free of sulfates and propylene glycol, making it safe to use.
- Can be used up to three times daily
- Made with a volumizing formula
- Formulated by trichologists
- Can be used with a conditioner and a DHT blocker
- Ideal for different types of hair loss
- Hair may end up becoming dry for some
- May be slippery
9. Best For Androgenetic Alopecia: HairRestore MD Hair Loss DHT Blocker Thickening Shampoo
The doctor-recommended DHT blocker shampoo reduces the adverse effects of androgenetic alopecia, postpartum hair loss, inhibits five-alpha reductase, and lowers DHT levels. This hair loss prevention shampoo provides essential nutrients to your scalp and is conducive to hair regrowth. It thickens and restores hair with its natural plant and organic ingredients like saw palmetto, biotin, niacin, caffeine, arginine, apple, argan, and grape stem cells. This shampoo also includes natural cleansers that increase protein levels, boost hydration to your scalp and hair, and also prevent hair from thinning and falling. Scientifically formulated with bioactive botanical ingredients, this shampoo promotes blood circulation to the scalp and makes hair follicles healthier to reduce hair fall. This pure and natural shampoo has no harsh or toxic chemicals such as sulfates and parabens, and is color-safe. It has a pleasant aroma of rosemary and lemongrass, giving a spa-like experience.
- Tackles aging of hair follicles
- Helps in creating a reinvigorated scalp
- Keeps a check on hair strands with split-ends
- Encourages strand strength and resiliency
- Recommended by doctors and health experts
- Rich in therapeutic blend of essential oils
- Some may find the solution to be thick
- May lead to dandruff accumulation for some
10. Best Cruelty-Free: Dr. Schavit Herbal Hair Booster Shampoo
Whether it is keeping a check on hair fall or improving the vitality of the scalp, this herbal shampoo has a lot to offer. It contains the goodness of natural ingredients and does not come with artificial ingredients such as SLS or parabens. The shampoo helps restore your hair growth and keeps it completely nourished, and the natural oils and ingredients such as sea buckthorn, vitamins A, B5, and C help in follicle development. Besides, the formula also minimizes hair breakage and thinning and adds density and volume to your tresses.
- Natural oils improves hair quality
- Helps skin heal from sunburn
- Fights inflammation and dandruff
- Naturally strengthens the hair keratin structure
- Safe for all types of skin and hair
- May not be child-friendly
- Some may find the scent peculiar
11. Best For Daily Use: Majestic Pure Biotin Shampoo W/ DHT-Three Blocker
The natural DHT blocker shampoo is formulated with hydrating and nourishing ingredients like biotin, rosemary oil, castor oil, asparagus extract, and vitamin E to reduce hair loss and to promote a healthy scalp and hair. It is gentle enough for daily use and suitable for all hair types. This lightweight DHT removal shampoo promotes stronger, more voluminous, and longer hair. It is cruelty-free, color-safe, and free from sulfates. With a pleasant rosemary fragrance, this DHT blocker shampoo gives you beautiful, shiny hair and changes your hair texture for the better by hydrating, smoothing, and reducing frizz.
- Helps treat damage caused by hair coloring
- Helps in battling extreme hair loss
- Free of toxins and additives
- Unfiltered and undiluted for best results
- Comes in an easy-to-pump bottle
- Conditioner may be thicker than expected
- May require a patch test to check if it suits your hair and skin type
Now that you have been through our review of the 11 best DHT blocker shampoos, let us tell you what to look for while choosing one for yourself so that you get back your crowning glory.
How To Choose The Right DHT Blocker Shampoo
- Ingredients to look for
One of the ingredients worth looking for is ketoconazole, which is normally used as an antifungal medication, preventing DHT from attaching to the hair follicles by disrupting the DHT pathways. DHT blocker shampoos that contain biotin promote hair growth in areas affected by hair loss and thinning. Pumpkin seed oil, which is a natural oil, prevents enzymes from producing DHT from testosterone.
This lowers DHT levels and eventually reduces hair loss. And finally, rosemary oil, which is another natural oil, increases hair growth by improving blood circulation to the scalp.
- Ingredients to avoid
Ensure that the shampoo is labelled as paraben-free as they contain synthetic estrogens that can actually result in more hair loss. So, make sure this preservative isn’t in your shampoo. Another ingredient to be avoided is sulfates, as they can remove natural oils, dehydrate the scalp, and also cause skin irritation. Some synthetic chemicals can also increase hair loss so always buy shampoos with natural ingredients.
- Read the claims on the bottle
Most shampoos make tall claims about how much it will change your hair. But if the claims sound a tad unrealistic, it probably isn’t true. Always verify these claims and see what the research says.
- Give it a try first
Not every shampoo works in the same way for everyone. The only way to truly know if a shampoo will work for you is to use it. You could consider trying the DHT blocker shampoo of your choice for 3 to 6 months to see if it works for you.
Now that you know what to look for while choosing the right DHT shampoo for yourself, it’s also important to know how effective they are for hair growth before we pin our hopes and money on it.
Are DHT-Blocking Shampoos Effective For Hair Growth?
- If your hair loss is being caused by DHT and the ingredients in the shampoo are effective DHT blockers, then a DHT-blocking shampoo can prevent the harmful effects of this hormone on your hair follicles, and result in less hair loss.
- Since no single ingredient in DHT-blocking shampoos has been identified as the magic ingredient against hair loss, it’s best to see that one or more of the following ingredients are high up on the ingredient list of your shampoo— ketoconazole, saw palmetto, biotin vitamins, lavender oil, rosemary oil, pumpkin seed oil, tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar, caffeine, almond oil, avocado oil, and argan oil.
- Some researchers have also found out that these shampoos are more effective when used with a topical, such as minoxidil, consistently. DHT-blocking shampoos deliver better results at being effective if you let them sit on your scalp for a few minutes before rinsing it off, and also if you use them more regularly.
Why Trust MomJunction?
We have gone through hundreds of trusted websites and analyzed numerous customer reviews to curate this list of the best DHT blocker shampoos. We made sure to include products that are gentle on the scalp, cruelty-free, and contain all the essential ingredients. Also, each product is included with detailed information about its formulation and other properties. You will also find a buying guide with factors to consider before making a purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are some of the most powerful DHT blockers?
Some of the most powerful DHT blockers include a topical agent called Minoxidil, Finasteride–an oral prescription, and low-level light therapy (LLLT). If you are looking for a more natural solution, you may opt for pumpkin seed oil.
2. What reduces DHT on the scalp?
Reducing DHT levels on the scalp begins with lowering it in your system. You can do this with the help of a 5ar enzyme inhibitor, which stops the testosterone from being converted to DHT. Finasteride and dutasteride are examples of 5ar inhibitors that are highly effective at reducing scalp DHT (1).
3. Does washing hair reduce DHT?
Yes, washing your hair daily can help reduce DHT, thus reducing the amount of oil the scalp secretes and reversing hair loss over time.
4. What vitamins help block DHT?
Vitamins A, B3, B7, B9, and E are commonly used to block DHT and give you a healthy scalp.
Hair loss shampoos nourish your hair and keep it healthy. The list of shampoos provided in this post will help you buy the right product that is best suited for your needs. However, when you surf through the shampoos available, learn more about their ingredients. Choosing the right product for your hair type may help you get the best results and the luscious hair you desire. Lastly, be patient with the shampoo and use it consistently to attain your hair goals.
- 5 Alpha Reductase Inhibitors
Recommended Articles :
View Profile ›