If you have a chubby baby, you might be wondering about what could be the best diapers for chunky babies. A good diaper should be comfortable and protect your baby’s sensitive skin from tight bands. These wide diapers are flexible along the thighs and help prevent diaper rashes and scratches. While buying one, ensure that the diapers are breathable, allow easy movement, and are made of eco-friendly and leak-proof materials. Check out our list of diapers to choose the right one for your chubby baby.
Our Top Picks
11 Best Diapers For Chunky Babies
1. Best Breathable: Pampers Swaddlers Disposable Baby Diapers
Available in various sizes, these diapers are designed with a wetness indicator and lock-away channels that help absorb wetness and prevent leaks. The breathe-free liner is soft on the baby’s skin, soothing and protecting it from roughness, peeling, and rashes. Its flexi-sides allow a comfortable fit on the thighs and waists without being tight. These hypoallergenic diapers are crafted free of latex, paraben, and chlorine components. To understand the nuances of the product in detail, you can check out this review.
- Wrap and protect leg cuffs and waistband
- Features umbilical cord notch
- Quick absorption
- Gentle on delicate skin
- May have a slight fragrance
- May be a bit thin for some
2. Best Leakage Protection: Mama Bear Gentle Touch Diapers
Mama Bear’s gentle touch diapers are dermatologist-tested and hypoallergenic. They offer 12-hour absorption and leakage protection, with a wetness indicator for tracking. The flexible fit allows free movement, and the outer cover is breathable, keeping the skin dry. They are free of parabens, chlorine bleaching, lotions, perfumes, phthalates, and cruelty. Check out this YouTuber’s review of this product.
- Cute patterns
- Has elastic-leg cuffs to prevent chafing
- Durable and comfortable
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- May not be suitable for overnight wear
- May be slightly thin
3. Best For Rash Protection: Huggies Snug & Dry Baby Diapers
With a 12-hour leak-lock system and snug and contoured shape, this diaper offers day and night protection. It absorbs wetness within seconds and comes with a wetness indicator, keeping the baby dry and rash-free. Designed with cute Mickey Mouse prints, these diapers are free of parabens, chlorine, latex, and fragrances.
- Designed with fast-absorbing liner
- Comfortable fit
- Fastener model for customized fit
- Diapers may have a chemical smell when they become wet
- May not be as soft as plush
4. Best Reusable: Babygoal Baby Reusable Cloth Diapers
Eco-friendly, machine-washable, and reusable, the pack contains four bamboo inserts and six microfiber inserts. The polyester outer layer is waterproof, and the leg gussets and soft elastic help prevent leaks. They are highly absorbable, breathable, and crafted without dioxins, BPA, latex, lead, phthalate, and other harsh chemicals. The diapers are adjustable with various buttons and are suitable for babies aged up to two years and weighing between seven lb and 33lb. You can also check this video out for a brief review of the product.
- Overlap snaps for a custom fit
- Pocket opening for easy inserts
- Fast-drying design
- Water- and leak-proof
- May leave marks
- May be a bit heavy
5. Best Stretchable: Cuties Complete Care Skin Smart Baby Diapers
The skin-smart diapers are hypoallergenic with stretchable side panels that hold the nappy snug and allow easy movement. It is designed with a flexible, absorbent core that locks in wetness for leakage protection throughout the day and night. The soft cottony material is free of dyes, chlorine, latex, or fragrances. Its inner layer is treated with natural botanicals, aloe, and vitamin E. These protect the baby’s sensitive skin from rashes and infections.
- Upto 12 hours of protection
- Stretchable material
- Dermatologically tested
- Soft and comfy
- May get saggy quickly
- May not be suitable for overnight use
6. Best Antibacterial: Andy Pandy Bamboo Disposable Diapers
Eco-friendly and leak-proof, these moisture-wicking and thermal-regulating bamboo diapers help prevent rashes and irritations on the baby’s sensitive skin. The ultra-soft diapers are comfortable and hypoallergenic, with antibacterial properties that help prevent infections and chaffing. A thin layer of aloe in its inner lining can keep the baby’s skin hydrated and itch-free, and adhesive and Velcro tape will hold the diaper in place.
- Ultra-breathable back sheet
- 87% biodegradable
- Wetness indicator
- May not be ideal for overnight use
- May not be suitable for a heavy wetter
7. Best Wetness Indicator: Bambo Nature Eco-Friendly Premium Baby Diapers
Suitable for sensitive skin, these multi-colored diapers are available in various sizes. The ultra-absorbent diapers are leak-proof, blowout-proof, and hypoallergenic. Their breathable back sheet made of feather-soft material helps prevent rashes and infections, while the wetness indicator helps you monitor the diaper change.
- Three-layer design
- Comes with leakage-prevention barriers
- Free of allergens and harmful chemicals
- Dermatologically tested
- May be a bit larger than expected
- May not hold for long hours
8. Best For Fast Absorption: The Honest Company – Clean Conscious Diapers
Available in multiple fun prints, the diapers’ sides are flexible and stretchy for maximum comfort during movement. The quilted bubble liner helps lock in the moisture and keeps the diaper and the skin dry. Designed with a wetness indicator, the diaper tells you when your baby needs a change. Free of chlorine, latex, and parabens and made from plant-based materials, this fragrance-free diaper is leak-proof with fast-absorbing channels.
- Safe for sensitive skin
- Available in three prints
- May be heavy
- May be smaller than expected
9. Best Non-Toxic: Seventh Generation Baby Diapers
With 12-hour protection, these diapers help keep the baby dry and happy. The core is super-absorbent and free of bleaches, chlorine, or harmful chemicals. Its Fresh Air layer is breathable and releases humidity, taking away moisture from the skin. The diaper doesn’t contain fragrances or lotions and is made from FSC-certified plant pulp. Every pack comes with two attractive patterns.
- Soft leg cuffs prevent leakage
- Features stretchable tabs for a snug fit
- May be rough on the inside
- May be smaller than expected
10. Best Eco-Friendly: Happy Little Camper Natural Diapers
Disposable natural diapers from Happy Little Camper are treated with aloe vera and vitamin E, suitable for sensitive skin. Its bio-core blend is ultra-absorbent with elastic sides for preventing leaks and blowouts. The back sheet and soft top prevent rashes and scratches and are hypoallergenic. These diapers are free of chlorine, paraben, silicone, phthalate, lead, sulfate, and other harmful chemicals. Sustainably sourced natural ingredients make these diapers eco-friendly and safe.
- Made of natural ingredients
- Infused with NON-GMO cotton
- Dermatologically tested
- Lightweight and ultra-thin
- May not indicate when wet
- May be less suitable for nighttime use
11. Best Contoured Design: Comfees CMF-7 Premium Baby Diapers
Comfees total fit system offers maximum leak protection and comfort. Its core is super-absorbent, locking away moisture for up to 12 hours. The soft flex waistband comes with stretch fasteners, and its contoured design fits snugly on the baby. These diapers come in various colorful designs, with a wetness indicator.
- Includes a hypoallergenic liner
- Free of perfume and latex
- Soft outer cover
- Comfortable fit
- May run small
- May be thin
How To Choose The Right Diapers For Chunky Babies?
Here are some points to keep in mind while buying diapers for chunky babies.
- Size: Choose diapers that can cover the baby’s bum. It is recommended to pick one size bigger than the regular size for a chubby baby.
- Waistband: Ensure the waistband is soft, stretchable, and comfortable as it tends to feel tighter when the baby sits or moves around.
- Wetness indicator: Pick a diaper with a wetness indicator that indicates the time for a diaper change. It helps you keep a check on the dampness to help prevent rashes and discomfort.
- Absorbency: Check the diaper’s absorbency level to determine how long it can last and prevent leakages. It helps keep the baby dry and less irritable.
- Softness: Choose diapers with a soft inner layer to protect the baby’s skin from scratches, peeling, and skin irritations.
- Brand: Your baby is precious, and it is best not to compromise with baby products. Pick a renowned brand with required certifications for maximum safety and functionality.
- Chemicals: Avoid chemicals and toxins, including paraben, sulfate, phthalate, latex, and chlorine. Pick skin-friendly materials to prevent allergies and irritations.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna is a product reviewer for baby products. She researches the products in depth by studying its description and customer reviews to present the list to her readers. This well-researched content on best diapers for chunky kids includes products that are hypoallergenic, breathable, good absorption, and stretchable. Vibha’s description of each product, along with her summarized buying guide, will help you choose the right diaper for your baby.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What happens if the baby’s diaper is too big?
If the diaper is too big, it may fit the baby loosely, which may eventually lead to leakage and a mess. Irrespective of whether the diaper is bulky or not, make sure that it fits the baby snuggly. Always run your fingers around the edges of the diaper to ensure there are no obvious gaps.
2. Why does my baby keep popping out of his diaper?
There can be many reasons for a diaper blowout, including:
- The diaper is too small
- The diaper is too big
- The diaper is wrapped around loosely
3. How long can a baby stay in diapers?
It depends on the frequency of your child’s urination. As a practice, it is recommended to change diapers after every three hours. If the baby poops, the diaper needs to be changed immediately.
4. How many newborn diapers do I need for a chunky baby?
Although the number of diapers used in a day may vary from baby to baby, on average, newborns may need up to ten diapers a day.
5. Do diapers expire?
Since most diapers are generally made of synthetic and sterile materials, they can last for a long time if preserved and stored properly. Some could even last for two years, but it’s always safer to follow the expiration date or instructions given on the diaper packet (1).
Finding the best diaper for chunky babies may seem like an ordeal, but brands in recent times have made it easier for parents by accommodating all size ranges. When you keep an eye out for factors such as waistband fitting, coverage, absorbency, and the material that goes into the making of the diaper, you’ll find one that is easy to use and comfortable for your precious baby. Additionally, ensure the diaper is free of chemicals that might cause rashes or harm the delicate skin of your baby.
- Do Diapers Expire? Everything You Need to Know (2022)
View Profile ›