Photography is gaining popularity, both as a hobby and as a profession. Even young children and teenagers can easily get started with learning photography. The best digital camera for teens would let them explore their creativity, imagination, and unique perspective at photography.
If you’re considering buying one for your teenage kid, we’re here to assist you with that. We have rounded up some of the best digital cameras you can bring home for your kids.
Our Top Picks
13 Best Digital Cameras To Buy For Teens
1. Best Instant Print: Kodak PRINTOMATIC Digital Instant Print Camera
A print camera in 2022? Why not? Forget about computers and printers as this Kodak PRINTOMATIC camera allows you to produce smudge-proof and waterproof pictures on demand. This point, shoot, and digital print camera for teenagers is easy to use and travel-friendly. You may check more about this product from this video.
- This camera features a 10MP sensor with a wide-angle f/2 lens.
- It can print both black and white and colored HD photos.
- It features a light sensor for automatic flash.
- It comes with a high shutter speed that allows you to shoot and print multiple photos at quick intervals.
- For printing, this camera uses Kodak Zink Photo Paper; and therefore, no external ink is needed.
- It is available in six attractive colors.
- A few buyers are of the opinion that the shutter button should have been firmer
- The resolution and quality of printed photos may seem average for some.
2. Best For 4K Recording: AKASO EK7000 Pro 4K Action Camera
If you are looking for a high-end camera for aspiring photographers, then AKASO EK7000 Pro digital camera ticks all the right boxes. From 4K UHD recording to touch screen and adjustable angle, it offers all the high-end features a wannabe photographer needs. Its unique design complements the powerful features. Here’s a video that demonstrates exactly how easy it is to use this bike every day.
- This camera features 16MP resolution for capturing high-quality images and videos.
- It supports 4K recording at 25FPS, 2.7K at 30FPS, and 1080p at 60FPS.
- It comes with a crystal clear and bright two-inch touch screen with an IPS display.
- This camera features in-built electronic image stabilization for stable and non-shaky videos.
- It is equipped with a waterproof case and can survive water depths of up to 40m/131ft.
- It also comes with adjustable view angles.
- Despite 4K support, the image quality may not be up to the mark in low light.
3. Best For Optical Image Stabilization: Canon PowerShot ELPH 180 Digital Camera
Let your teenager capture their favorite moments with this 20MP Canon PowerShot digital camera. Your teenager can produce some artistic pictures thanks to the camera’s high-quality sensors and multiple shooting modes. Here’s a video to help you understand the product better and make an informed choice.
- This camera features a 20MP, 1/2.3-inch CCD sensor for better image capture.
- It also features an 8x optical zoom for capturing objects at a distance.
- This camera comes with a wide shooting range of 28-224mm.
- It supports 720p HD video recording at 25FPS.
- It also features optical image stabilization and auto-zoom.
- Its sleek, classic design makes it look professional and elegant.
- The battery life may come across as average for some users.
4. Best With Bluetooth And Wi-Fi: Canon PowerShot SX530 HS Digital Camera
The Canon PowerShot SX530 HS features an expansive zoom lens along with various image sharing capabilities. This point-and-shoot digital camera is versatile and is an ideal companion for your teenager at parties and other memorable occasions. And what’s more, it features Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
- The standout feature of this camera is its 50x optical zoom.
- It features a large three-inch LCD screen.
- It supports 1080p FHD recording.
- This camera comes with a 16MP resolution.
- It features a high-sensitivity CMOS sensor and Canon DIGIC 4+ Image Processor for better images.
- It also features a dedicated movie button.
- A few buyers complained that the design of the camera is average.
- The camera is a little expensive.
5. Best For Vlogging: WONGKUO Elite3 4K Action Camera
This powerful and affordable digital camera is perfect for teens who love vlogging. Various functions like EIS, burst photo, and time-lapse also make it suitable for teens who want a camera for learning photography.
- This camera has a 20MP resolution.
- It offers 4K recording at 30FPS and 1080p recording at 60FPS.
- It includes electronic image stabilization (EIS).
- This camera comes with a waterproof case and can survive depths up to 30m (98ft).
- It supports Wi-Fi and comes with an HDMI port.
- It can support an external microphone for enhanced sound input.
- This camera features a two-inch LCD screen with a 170-degree wide view angle.
- A few buyers complained that some of the modes don’t produce good quality pictures.
- It is available in one color only.
6. Best For Selfies: VTech Kidizoom Duo 5.0 Deluxe Digital Selfie Camera
This 5MP deluxe camera is perfect for early teens. It features a 2.4-inch TFT color screen with 4x zoom, auto flash, and switching buttons. The camera also works as an MP3 player and ships with headphones. It comes with 256MB in-built memory and supports MicroSD card up to 32 GB.
- The two-in-one camera and music package makes it an exciting gift item for younger teens.
- The screens and controls are kid-friendly, thus making it convenient for teens to understand the camera’s functions.
- This camera also comes with a few pre-loaded games.
- It is available only in pink and blue with no neutral color option.
- Older teens may find the camera’s features as basic.
7. Best For Beginners: Canon PowerShot ELPH 160
Designed for hassle-free capturing of your special memories, the Canon PowerShot ELPH 160 comes with eight times the optical zoom to get a closer view of your subjects. The 20MP sensor is equipped with a DIGIC 4+ image processor that can shoot videos in 720p HD clarity. The camera is available in silver, black, red, and white, and you can also choose from a camera with or without a 16 GB memory card. This camera also has a live view control and a smart auto mode that can come in handy for predefined shooting situations.
- Compact size
- Suitable for beginners
- Has an ECO mode
- Has a power preservation option
- Features a help menu
- May not work well for indoor shots
8. Best For Gaming: AKAMATE Kids Action Camera
This is an ideal digital camera for teens who are looking for a device that enables them to capture special moments, and also allows them to play games. Apart from built-in games, this camera features a 5MP sensor that offers FHD video recording up to 1080p at 30FPS.
- This camera can be attached to a bicycle, helmet, or skateboard, making it ideal for active kids and teens.
- It comes with all the necessary mounting accessories and an SD card.
- It is durable and can withstand rough plays and activities.
- It can be used 30m underwater.
- The camera has a cute design, which can instantly excite young teens and grown-up kids.
- A few buyers complained that the gaming features of this camera are average.
- You may have to charge the battery several times a day.
9. Best For Outdoor Use: APEMAN A79 4K Action Camera
This camera can capture 16MP photos along with 4K 30FPS videos. It also supports an external microphone and comes with other accessories like multiple mounting kits for active kids who love the outdoors.
- This camera supports a microSD card up to 64GB, which is less commonly found in other cameras of a similar price.
- It offers 4K resolution videos that capture a lot of detail.
- It comes with two 1050mAh batteries.
- It supports an external microphone, which allows you to record good-quality audio, especially when outdoors.
- It is waterproof up to 40m underwater. It also comes with built-in Wi-Fi.
- The PC mode may be complicated to use for beginners.
10. Best For Budding Photographers: Canon PowerShot SX420 IS Digital Camera
This digital camera is equipped with all the necessary features essential for budding professional photographers. The camera bundle includes useful accessories and shooting modes.
- It features a 20MP sensor with a 42x optical zoom, making it ideal for long-range and wide-angle photography.
- It also features a DIGIC 4+ image processor, a three-inch 230k-Dot LCD monitor, and facilitates HD video recording up to 25 FPS.
- It comes with a charger and a spare battery.
- It features built-in Wi-Fi with NFC.
- It offers good low-light photography experience.
- Its optical zoom is one of the best in its price range.
- Choosing the right setting to produce the best images could require a lot of practice for beginners.
- This camera does not come with a selfie button, which may be missed by some teens.
11. Best With High Zooming: Nikon Coolpix L340 Digital Camera
It is one of the best digital cameras for teens who want to take up photography as a profession. It features a 20MP camera with 28x optical zoom and facilitates HD 720p video recording. The bundle includes batteries, USB cables, and other necessary accessories.
- The camera is lightweight and easy to carry.
- The camera takes high-quality pictures, and the 28x zoom works well at both long and short ranges.
- This camera provides near-DSLR level quality at a lesser price.
- Some users did not find the camera suitable for low-light and artificial light photography.
12. Best For iOS and Android Compatability: Kodak Mini Shot Wireless Instant Digital Camera
This powerful digital camera from Kodak offers various modes and features, including white balance and gamma correction. It makes it a good pick for teens who want a camera for more than just clicking selfies.
- The camera offers 10MP resolution, auto-focus, and 1.7-inch viewfinder.
- The camera is thin and compact, making it very easy and convenient to carry.
- It comes with a built-in printer feature that offers great convenience.
- It is available in six attractive colors, making it ideal for teens.
- The print quality of the images is good.
- It features Bluetooth, and is compatible with iOS and Android devices.
- The print quality may gradually decline over time.
13. Best For Multiple Scene Modes: Canon PowerShot SD1200IS Digital Camera
The Canon PowerShot SD1200IS digital camera for teens features a 10MP sensor with a 2.5-inch PureColor LCD screen and 3x optical zoom. It also features DIGIC 4 Image Processor, along with a face detection self-timer. This camera is compatible with SD/SDHC, MMC/MMC Plus/HC, and MMC Plus cards.
- This model offers faster and cleaner shots compared to its previous versions.
- It is compact, curvy, stylish, and easy to carry.
- It comes with multiple special scene modes.
- It does not offer HD video recording.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedesto Chirhah, a product reviewer, specializing in writing on home essentials and technology, has researched user feedback on various products listed on various platforms before compiling a list of the best digital cameras for teens to help them explore their creative imagination. He has also provided product details along with a buying guide to assist you in selecting the best camera for your teen.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do teenagers like instant cameras?
Most teenagers would be thrilled to have an instant camera if they like taking pictures of themselves. What makes it appealing to teens is the fact that they can have the photograph instantly without having to wait for developing the photograph.
2. Is it worth buying a digital camera?
A digital camera offers more storage, a higher resolution, a wider shooting range, extra zooming, and many other amazing features than a phone camera. It is a better option if you want a high quality picture or have an interest in learning photography.
3. How long can a digital camera last?
A digital camera can last up to five years with proper care.
4. Can digital cameras go through airport security?
Yes, digital cameras can go through airport security. However, as you know, it is a fragile item, so keeping it in your carry-on luggage would be recommended.
Given the vast range of options, finding the best digital camera for teens can be difficult. However, your selection process can become more manageable if you know the features your teen is looking for in a camera. Based on your affordability and the desired features, you can find the best digital cameras for your teenager in the above list. These powerful cameras allow a teen to easily click the best quality pictures and selfies. Several of the options in the list come with necessary accessories your teen would need to click the best pictures or make high-quality videos. So research your options well before making a suitable choice for your child.
View Profile ›