Germs can settle on surfaces and survive for several hours. Children are susceptible to coming in contact with these surfaces, thus increasing the risk of illnesses. Serious diseases, such as COVID-19, can also spread through contact with contaminated surfaces. So how do you protect your children and family in such situations? Disinfectant sprays can help.
In this MomJunction post, we tell you about picking the right disinfectant spray and share a list of the 13 best disinfectant sprays that you can consider buying.
13 Best Disinfectant Sprays
A natural toy disinfectant, it is widely used for a non-toxic cleansing of toys on a daily basis. Quite safe to use as it is water-based and contains zero silicone. It also exhibits hypoallergenic properties, which allows it to be completely harmless. The spray cleans the toy without leaving any smell behind. It contains zero alcohol with a promise of a 100% money-back.
It contains a case of 12 cans and is one of the few shoe disinfectants found in the market that can also be used in lockers and other surfaces prone towards the growth of molds. The composition of this deodorizer is sufficient enough to kill most microbes and eliminate the odor.
This concentrated disinfectant uses a unique formula that is harmless and non-toxic. It kills all the bacteria, eliminates odors and fumes, while also being safe and harmless. This formula has a mild smell that provides an all-day freshness to whichever surface it has been used.
Such kind of cleaning kit is a boon to any household and is suitable to use on all sorts of surfaces like kitchen, glass, granite, shower, or any wooden surfaces. The kit consists of six bottles that can be reused along with a microfiber cloth for effective cleaning. It also comes with two refill pods. It is an eco-friendly and effective product.
A germicide disinfectant that is capable of cleaning and removing microbes within 30 seconds of application. It ensures 99.9% cleaning with additional elimination of all kinds of smell. This non-bleach formula removes mildew and other infectious organisms from fabric and hard surfaces within a couple of minutes of application.
It is an expertly made germicide disinfectant. The manufacturer claims the product can eliminate pathogens, including the H1N1 virus and HIV-1 virus from precleaned surfaces. It can also prevent mildew formation, bacterial contamination, and eliminate odor. The spray is hospital grade and thus provide effective care.
It is a disinfectant spray that works against most pathogens, including HIV-1, herpes, and E.coli. The spray can be used as a sanitizer for all kinds of surfaces because of its extensive cleaning and disinfectant properties. It is also designed to kill pandemic pathogens, such as H1N1 viruses and tuberculosis bacteria.
This disinfectant spray eliminates 99.9% of disease-causing bacteria, viruses, and fungi. It also eliminates foul odor from surfaces without damaging it. You can use it on soft surfaces such sofa cushions, as well. This formula is accompanied by a fresh linen fragrance that makes it suitable to use around children and pregnant women, too.
It comes with a harmless, non-toxic, and effective formula that eliminates all kinds of notorious viruses and bacteria from any compact surfaces. This disinfectant is also used in professional surfaces. The best part about this item is the absence of harmful substances, like chlorofluorocarbon.
This disinfectant spray also works as a cleaner and stain remover. The non-flammable formula eliminates most bacteria and viruses while leaving a pleasant lemon scent on the surface. It does not have any harsh chemicals, and you can use it on surfaces across all rooms at home.
It is a disinfectant suitable for all kinds of toys. It cleans the toy while also eliminating any pathogens. The best part about this product is that it can be used even on toys that babies tend to place in their mouths. The water-based formula of the disinfectant prevents any harm to the baby. The disinfectant spray is also devoid of any harsh chemicals, fragrance, and alcohol.
This effective formula successfully provides 100% germ protection and works against tough bacteria like MRSA, strep, etc. This liquid disinfectant is widely used in sports and gym equipment to clean and disinfect without leaving any residues. It also helps eliminate odor. The spray does not require any scrubbing or cleaning and evaporates by itself.
This formula is widely popular because of the absence of chemicals and volatile organic products. It is also useful in removing pandemic viruses that cause illnesses in children, such as rotavirus, norovirus, and RSV. The hydrogen peroxide present in the cleaner breaks down into water and oxygen after being sprayed on a surface. It leaves no residue behind. This disinfectant spray cleans all kinds of hard and soft surfaces swiftly and effectively.
How To Use Cleaning Products To Kill A Virus?
- Wash your hands and wear a glove so as to eliminate any chances of contact with the disinfectant.
- Use microbial cloth and hot water to wipe off any dirt from the surface.
- Spray the disinfectant on the non-porous surfaces along with and spread with an anti-microbial cloth.
- Using a residue-free disinfectant is recommended to prevent its contact with skin.
- For small items like switchboards, alcohol wipes can be used as the presence of isopropyl in alcohol can kill viruses.
- Highly contaminated surfaces such as doorknobs should be cleaned with extra care.
What Else Should You Know About Cleaning Your?
- Kitchen spaces are most prone to bacteria. It can contain bacteria from humans as well as from food.
- Small but essential spaces like the dining table, remote, switchboards, plug points, and doorknobs should be treated with care.
- A strong disinfectant should be used to treat bacteria like salmonella and other dangerous bacteria as they tend to be stubborn.
- While washing utensils, a bleaching agent should be used to remove bacteria from the tableware.
- Washing hands frequently is an excellent way to combat the presence of the virus in the house as clean hands mean less dirty surfaces.
- The shelves of the house and cabinets should be disinfected too.
- Washed clothes should be dried at a higher temperature to eliminate bacteria.
- When disinfecting surfaces that come in contact with food, only use sprays that are specified to be safe for use on such surfaces.
- Apart from the hard, non-porous surfaces, the focus should be on soft-surfaces too, like pillows and bed sheets, as they contain the maximum bacteria. These items should also be washed regularly.
- The bathroom should be routinely disinfected twice a day with sinks cleaned with disinfectants and hand towels replaced every day.
- Disinfect electronic goods with alcohol wipes.
How To Choose The Right Disinfectant Spray?
Consider the following attributes when shopping for disinfectants.
- Efficiency: The efficiency and the speed of killing microbes must be excellent and quick.
- Range: A good disinfectant cleans various surfaces and kills a range of harmful pathogens.
- Safety: A non-toxic formula is best for household cleaning. Choose water-based and non-alcohol based disinfectants, especially when you plan to use it for cleaning baby’s toys.
- Environmental concerns: A disinfected spray should not have properties that can harm the environment and the people around it. Pick sprays that are free from compounds such as chlorofluorocarbon.
- Fragrance: A disinfectant with a mild fragrance may be opted to eliminate foul odor.
- Residues: Choose a disinfectant that does not leave any residue or stains.
Does Disinfectant Spray Work In Killing The Bacteria?
Yes, disinfectant sprays are effective in killing bacteria as they wipe out colonies of bacteria and leave the surface clean.
Disinfect every part and surface of the house. If not possible, then disinfect rooms and objects that come in contact with those who are vulnerable to diseases, such as children and the elderly. Observing a disinfection regime can help keep your house clean and free of any disease-causing microbes.