Disposable plates can come in handy if you have many guests or do not have access to water for washing reusable plates. Here, we have included a list of the best disposable plates you can choose from. Made from non-toxic materials, you can use them to serve food and are microwave-friendly. Biodegradable and eco-friendly disposable plates are pretty popular, and if you want to contribute to a greener tomorrow, these would be the right choice for you.
Ilia Mundut, a home design expert and owner of HeftyBerry, says, “The best disposable plates are the ones that prioritize sustainability and convenience. You now have disposable plates that are not only made of compostable materials but also sturdy and aesthetically pleasing. From backyard barbecues to fancy dinner parties, these plates offer a hassle-free solution for any occasion.”
Have a look at the most popular disposable plates and take your pick.
11 Best Disposable Plates
1. Best overall: AmazonBasics Disposable Clear Plastic Plates
If you are looking for plastic plates with an attractive hue and a beautiful design, then this is a good option. Each of these disposable dessert plates has a diameter of 7.5in, an ideal size for serving appetizers and desserts at a party. The elegant plates are created from polystyrene plastic approved by the FDA and are rated as food-safe. Available in a pack of 100 pieces, the plates are grouped into stacks of 25 when packaged and stored. The plastic plates are also dishwasher-safe and can be reused if needed.
2. Best Premium Quality: Aya’s Cutlery Kingdom Disposable Plastic Plates
This combo pack has 30 dinner plates and 30 dessert plates. The combination of disposable dinnerware is ideal if you are hosting a party or catering to more than 30 guests. The premium-quality heavyweight plastic plates have a rim with a gold sheen, which gives them an appearance similar to Chinaware. This classy set matches effortlessly with silver-hued cutlery and is ideal if you want to minimize the amount of cleaning up after dinner for the family during the holidays.
- Glossy finish
- Ideal to use for birthdays, weddings, and anniversaries
- May feel a bit thin
3. Best Budget -Friendly: Stock Your Home Fancy Disposable Plates
This set contains 125 pieces, including 25 dinner plates, 25 plates for serving salad/dessert, along with 25 knives, forks, and spoons each. This elegant set is perfect for formal parties or a wedding reception for a small group on a budget. Food-grade, BPA-free, and reusable plastic is used to create the set. The plates have a silver rim, while the knives, spoons, and tiny forks have a silver hue and make them look like silverware and match plates that appear similar to Chinaware.
- Shiny finish
- Recyclable plates
- Easy to clean
- Sturdy forks and cutleries
- Not microwave and dishwasher safe
- May be light in weight
4. Best BPA-Free: Occasions Finest Wedding Party Plastic Plate Set
You can serve up to eighty guests with these plates created from heavyweight plastic. The set includes 80 10.5-inch dinner plates, and 80 appetizer plates measuring 7.5 inches each. Eighty forks, knives, and spoons each, with a striking silver hue, are also included. The disposable plates come with 80 cups, and 80 paper napkins that are similar to linen. The plates have a white hue with silver rim and are made from BPA-free food-grade plastic that is recyclable.
- Smooth finishing
- Royal look
- Sturdy material
- Ideal for large gatherings or weddings
- Not safe to use in microwave
- Cups may be small
5. Best Crack-Resistant: Comfy Package 100% Compostable Heavy-Duty Plates
When you are looking for disposable tableware, compostable plates that are environmentally friendly are a much better option than plastic plates. Made from sugarcane fiber, each heavy-duty plate is biodegradable but has a superior strength that makes them resistant to cracks and breakage.
These disposable paper plates are similar to disposable bamboo plates and can be used to serve the main course. The nine-inch plates also have a thick rim and come in a pack of 125 pieces. The plates are superior to store-brand varieties and a must-have for all occasions.
- No wax lining
- Made from high-quality material
- Can carry food without folding or dropping
- May run small for large dinings
- May not be suitable to carry boiling or hot dishes
6. Best Scratch-Resistant: WDF Disposable Plastic Plates With Silver Rim
Get these disposable plastic plates with a beautiful design and a silver rim to lay an elegant table for a wedding reception or party. Included in the 120-piece pack are 60 dinner plates, each measuring 10.25in, and 60 salad plates measuring 6.5in. These sustainable plates can also be washed and used on multiple occasions to reduce the waste generated. The plastic used in creating the plates is scratch-resistant, while each piece has an elegant finish and is perfectly suited for upcoming holidays and birthdays.
- Sturdy built
- Reusable after hand wash
- Can also be used to serve the hot food
- Ideal for serving salads, cakes, and appetizers
- Not microwave safe
7. Best Durable: Prestee Clear Plastic Plates
These 6.25-inch disposable plastic plates are superior to store-brand options. These let you serve dessert and appetizers without any hassle. The clear plastic material used to create the plates gives it a crystal-like quality that lets you showcase your food perfectly when served. The material is also highly durable, making them ideal everyday mealtime plates to hold appetizers and heavy desserts.
- Easy to clean
- Premium heavy-weight
- Smooth surface
- Leak-proof plates
- May not be break-resistant
- Size may be somewhat small
8. Best Food-Grade Plastic: Munfix Piece Plastic Party Plates White Gold Rim
The set includes 50 disposable plastic plates measuring 10.25in, ideal for serving dinner. You also get 50 dessert plates that measure 7.5in. These durable plates are manufactured by one of the leading brands in the market and have a gold foil trim that gives them an elegant look. Created using BPA-free, food-grade plastic, the plates do not release any toxins into your food. The plates are elegantly designed with a rim that features a gold sheen.
- Easy to maintain
- Ideal size for meals
- Suitable for various occasions
- Not recyclable
- May not withstand microwave temperature
9. Best Microwave-Safe: Framo Disposable Clear Plastic Plates in Bulk
This set of 120 plastic plates with a clear finish is a nice option if you want to minimize cleaning up post a party or other event. These microwavable plates are sturdy and measure nine inches in diameter. They are among the best disposable plates, as they can hold anything from grilled sausages to heavy portions of lasagna without sagging or breaking. These bulk disposable plates are also ideal for use when camping and can be disposed of easily or washed and reused when you are hosting a party on a budget.
- Firm plates
- Heat-and cold-resistant
- Wide edges
- Color of the plate may vary
- May run small for large dinings
10. Best Reusable Plastic: Select Settings Silver Rim Plastic Dinner Plates
Each plate in this 50-piece set features a diameter of 10.25inch and a decorative silver rim. The plastic plates are ideal when you want to hold a party on a budget but want tableware that has the look of elegant Chinaware. The 10.25inch sturdy plates have a white hue, are resistant to breakage and do not sag even when heavy food is placed on them. They are made from BPA-free and reusable plastic and can be hand washed and used on multiple occasions.
- Hassle-free clean up
- Can hold a bowl of hot soup
- Smooth texture
- Comfortable to hold
- Not dishwasher-safe
- Not oven and microwave safe
11. Best for Parties: Elite Selection Disposable Plastic Party Plates
The plastic plates come with a striking gold sheen lace design, making them ideal for use at parties. You can wash and reuse them before recycling or dispose of them after one use. Each plate has a diameter of 10.25in and is ideal for serving main course dishes that are loaded with gravy or sauce. The plates are similar in appearance to Chinaware and can be paired with elegant cutlery.
How To Choose The Right Disposable Plates?
Buying disposable plates is a budget-friendly way to throw a party or meeting at short notice. That said, it is best to look for eco-friendly disposable plates to minimize the waste and pollution generated. So here are a few things to consider when buying disposable plates.
- Consider the type of party or gathering: If you are hosting a formal gathering, such as a wedding reception, choose elegant disposable plastic plates with a gold foil or silver rim. Their beautiful design should match the cutlery of the same hue. However, you can make do with paper plates that are colored appropriately for informal barbecue parties or any upcoming holidays.
- Check if the plates are created from food-grade material: Since plates are used to serve food, they need to be made from a material that is of food-grade quality. Especially disposable plastic plates need to be checked to ensure they are created with BPA-free, food-grade material.
- Consider if the material is biodegradable or recyclable: Plates that can be recycled should be preferred compared to versions that end up polluting the environment in a landfill. Check if disposable plates are made from biodegradable material or if they are made from plastic that can be recycled.
- Check if the plates are sturdy: Plates need to be able to hold heavy food and not leak even if they are moved when holding a buffet-style party. Each plate should be sufficiently thick and sturdy.
- Consider the number of courses you are serving: If you are holding a formal gathering or wedding reception, you need plates for several courses, including appetizers, main dishes, and desserts. You will need different-sized plates for each course, and if you buy them as a set, you can ensure that they match perfectly.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Sakshi John is our experienced writer and reviewer of household products and kitchenware. She knows the demands of her readers and formulates her articles based on their requirements. Here, she has made a list of some of the best disposable plates that are high-quality and non-toxic. You can compare the products she has recommended by going through their detailed descriptions and purchase one that is suitable for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is it safe to eat in disposable plates?
Yes, it is safe to eat in disposable plates unless they are made of plastic. Plastic plates may use substances like phthalates and BPA to make them stable.
2. Are plastic disposable plates better than paper disposable plates?
Plastic disposable plates are suited to withstand the food weight, but they may be coated or may even have some chemicals. Therefore, paper disposable plates are better and they are biodegradable as well.
3. What can I use instead of disposable paper plates?
You can use disposable bamboo plates as a safer alternative. They are biodegradable and more durable than paper plates, making them ideal disposable plates for outdoor events.
4. Are disposable bamboo plates good?
Bamboo plates are lightweight and resist greasy and messy food without damaging the plates. However, bamboo plates are not microwavable and may bend if they are loaded with extremely hot food.
5. What are disposable plates made of?
Disposable plates are made of biodegradable polypropylene, sugarcane, bamboo, palm, paper, or plastic material. However, the density and weight bearing capacity of each plate may differ.
6. What is the most eco-friendly disposable plate?
Palm leaf plates are considered eco-friendly plates, and they also offer the benefits of being heat-resistant, durable, and leak-proof. These biodegradable plates are made from fallen palm leaves.
7. How long does plastic plates take to decompose?
Plastic disposable plates can take anywhere from 20 to 500 years to decompose. The time taken to decompose also depends on the structure and material of the plate.
Disposable plates are essential kitchen accessories that make eating and disposing of cutlery effortless. They come in attractive colors and striking designs, leaving you spoilt for choice. When you are choosing the best disposable plates set, you must consider factors such as occasion and the sturdiness of the plate. We recommend Aya’s Cutlery Kingdom Disposable Plastic Plates with a classy gold-sheen rim and the budget-friendly Stock Your Home Fancy Disposable Plates, ideal for small events. In contrast, the silver-rimmed Occasions Finest Wedding Party Plastic Plate Set suits larger gatherings. Ensure the plates you choose are made from BPA-free, food-grade material and the size and number are ideal for the event.
Infographic: Other Types Of Disposable Plates
Disposable plates are convenient to carry and also make cleaning after a party easier since you can dispose of them immediately. Beyond the products mentioned in the list, you may also consider non-plastic options that are often eco-friendly. Explore the infographic below to learn the various alternatives to plastic or foam-based one-time-use plates.