Scuba diving is one of the most exciting ways to experience the underwater world. If you are planning to regularly take scuba diving lessons or just go on your own, then you need the best of the best apparatus. Having a clear vision during your dive is of paramount importance. This is where buying the best diving mask comes into the picture. Without some really good scuba diving masks, it is very difficult to navigate underwater (this is the point where we all wish we were an Atlantean). And, it is not just that, it becomes nearly impossible to enjoy it while you are there either.
If you are here on this page, it means you are looking for a premium-quality diving mask. To make your trip underwater safer, we have made a list of the best 11 scuba diving masks that you should definitely buy. So, dive in!
11 Best Diving Masks Available In 2020
Once you are underwater, you should not be worried about your mask giving up on you. Speedo is one of the leading brands for sports apparel and they know exactly what you need. This mask is designed to offer impeccable non-slip comfort. It is made from a 100% silicone skirt that feels soft on your face. It fits perfectly and creates a seal to prevent water from leaking in. The lens is made from polycarbonate, finished with an Anti-Fog Max coating which makes it extremely lightweight while offering a clear vision.
- It provides full-coverage.
- The Speed Fit strap allows for adjusting the strap as required.
You need a high-quality mask for the best diving experience. Where other brands might lack to give your proper viewing angles, AQUA A DIVE offers 180° viewing capability. The polycarbonate material strengthens the lens’ properties to improve the anti-fog treatment. It offers an anti-fall performance which is believed to be much stronger than toughened glass. It uses soft food-grade liquid silicone and a double-layer waterproof design to prevent water from leaking in.
- It has UV resistance properties for better protection of your eyes.
- The elastic silicone belt has an easily adjustable buckle for one-hand use.
- The lens is made from a single piece for smoother viewing.
OCTOMASK has a built-in GoPro camera mount for people who love to capture special moments. No matter what GoPro model you have, you can mount it on this mask. The mask has a super-soft matte silicone skirt that is made from high-quality and durable materials for ultimate comfortability and longevity. It is ideal for people with average to large sized faces. It is available in two variants— Standard and Frameless. It includes a fast-drying travel bag.
- The low-volume design is ideal for freediving and spearfishing as well.
- The lenses are made from dual safety tempered glass for durability.
- It has an embedded nut for thumbscrews that will not fall when unscrewed.
Having a clear vision is one of the main aspects of underwater diving. This M1 Frameless Scuba Diving mask is one of the best in the market. It offers the optical quality and distortion-free vision that is essential for the activity. It uses Saint-Gobain Diamant that provides a crystal clear viewing. The lenses are big enough to give you a wide-angle viewing and are supported by a 100% pure soft skirt that feels extremely cozy on the face.
- It has a robust buckle for easy adjustments.
- The dry snorkel at top prevents water from leaking in.
- At the bottom, it has a large exhaust and purge valve for convenient water clearing.
Are you tired of your diving mask and need a new one? Cressi Low Volume Adult Mask is specifically designed for the advanced divers. It offers an extremely hydrodynamic and compact shape and allows the divers to navigate through small spaces. It has a patented Integrated Dual Frame Technology that drastically decreases the internal volume and does not require intentional equalizing. The swiveling buckles are attached to the frame directly for improved stability.
- The buckles are virtually indestructible and have micrometric regulation.
- It has inverted tear-drop lenses for better downward visibility.
- It has a single-piece frame with reduced thickness and without fences, making it very lightweight; it weighs just about 125 g.
For the best panoramic viewing angles while underwater, all you need is SCUBAPRO Solo Scuba Snorkeling Dive Mask. This is one of the most trusted apparel by professional divers.
It has a patented single-lens design with side windows wide enough to give you a wider viewing angle. The buckles have a flexible mount connected to the skirt, allowing you to easily put on the strap to achieve the perfect fit.
- It is a low internal volume mask.
- The lenses are made with Tempered Glass for durability.
- The double-sealed silicone skirt sculpts creates a watertight seal for ultimate comfort.
We have one more from Scubapro. What can we say, they do make some amazing products! Synergy Twin Trufit adopts the second-generation Trufit Technology for the best results. Unlike the previous one, this features a thicker and firmer skirt that supports the frame and provides rigidity. It uses thinner silicone that molds your face for the watertight seal. The quick-release buckles are attached to the skirt instead of the frame to allow a range of motions. You have a wide array of color options to choose from.
- The dual-lens low-volume design provides wider viewing angles.
- It has an easy-to-strap buckle system.
- The strap design allows the mask to be folded flat for easy packing.
Atomic Venom Frameless Mask is an all-in-one diving mask that has great comfort, high-quality optics, and style. The lenses, built with strengthened tempered glass are wide and clear. The mask skirt and face seal are designed to integrate two different silicones. The “Gummi Bear UltraSoft” creates a soft and comfortable face seal while the second silicone keeps the mask sturdy even in the harshest conditions. You can choose between two color schemes— All Black and Red Black.
- It uses the Schott Superwite UltraClear lens that allows 96% of the available light to get through.
- The large single-window lens provides distortion-free viewing of all angles.
- It has an integrated easy-adjust swivel buckle.
When you are underwater, keep your focus on exploring and enjoying your time, let Oceanic take care of your safety. Shadow Frameless Dive Mask features a 100% liquid silicone skirt that is attached to the tempered lens directly providing unmatched flexibility. It also acts as a backup mask as you can easily fold and fit it in your BC pocket. While you are at it, add some color to your mask. They have 7 color variations that you can choose from.
- It has an extremely low-volume design.
- It has swiveling buckles for easy adjustments.
- Without the frame, the mask is lightweight and provides a larger field-of-view.
Are you taking your whole family scuba diving? We have your need for diving masks covered! This series of scuba diving masks from OMGear is suitable for both kids and adults. It uses a food-grade silicone strap and skirt that provides a comfortable user experience. They are eco-friendly too. They come with a nose cover which is ideal for people who cannot control their breathing underwater.
- The lens is made with tempered glass.
- They use a flexible face skirt with a highly adjustable strap to make sure that it fits heads of any shape and size.
- They have a 3mm soft neoprene mask strap cover at the back to reduce hair tangling.
Experience the underwater world clearer than ever before with the help of TUSA M-1003 Freedom Elite Scuba Diving Mask. It has a single lens that offers crystal clear and wide viewing angles. It uses Freedom Technology that is designed by the experts at TUSA. This design technology allows the mask to fit comfortably on any face type with varied shapes and sizes. It has a round edge cross-sectionally shaped skirt that suppresses the pressure and reduces creasing on the face.
- Quick-adjust buckle system
- Stainless steel design
- It has a medium-large frame with a minimal internal volume.
- For a more comfortable fit, the skirt around the forehead area and cheekbones are designed with dimples that increase the skirt’s softness.
- The Five Angle Strap Adjuster buckle system can move inwards or outwards and can also be rotated 180 degrees for a highly-customizable fit.
- The mask strap uses a three-dimensional design that contours on the back of your head to fit in its natural curvature.
There you have it! A list of the 11 best scuba diving masks for you to purchase from. But hang on, we have a few more things to share about diving masks. Even though you are buying from our handpicked list, you should still understand how you need to choose the right mask.
Scuba Diving Masks – Buying Guide
You are going to be underwater for a very long time, so before you buy a mask, here are a few pointers that you should keep in mind.
- Lens Quality: The main reason you go underwater is to see and experience it. The simplest way to do that is by having a good lens on your mask. A cheap quality lens does not let enough natural light to pass through. Ideally, the lens should allow at least 90-95% of the light to pass. These details, in most cases, will be mentioned in the specifications, so do read them. And, make sure that you buy a mask that uses a tempered glass lens which is also strong and sturdy to withstand the high underwater pressure.
- Single/Dual Lens: The single-lens design allows for an uninterrupted viewing because of the absence of a ridge in between. Having a dual-lens mask offers wider viewing angles and clearer peripheral vision compared to single-lens masks. But the downside of a single-lens design is that it cannot accommodate prescribed lenses and the mask volume is larger too. With dual-lens, there will be a ridge in between which might create a blind spot.
- Skirt: Diving masks use a silicone strip around the frame known as a skirt. Depending on the quality and design of the skirt, it shows how much it can control water leakage. Diving masks use two skirts. One skirt is attached to the frame which takes the shape of your face and stops water from leaking in. The second silicone skirt is on the inside of the mask which aims to provide comfort and reduce the pressure caused by the water.
- Mask Frame: There are two types of masks— framed and frameless. Framed masks are more robust than frameless. They offer customization abilities since you can take them apart and put it back together quite easily. If you use a prescript lens, you can add them with framed masks. On the other hand, frameless masks are known to be lighter and have a low-volume design which makes for an easy equalizing. Since most frameless masks can be folded and tucked away in your pocket easily, it can be used as a backup mask as well.
- Mask Strap: Strap is what holds the mask on the face. Most brands on our list use silicone material for the strap. This material allows it to take the shape of the head and sit comfortably. Some brands also offer strap covers which prevent your hair from getting tangled.
- Buckle: Masks with cheap-quality buckles can be a big problem when you are trying to adjust. Modern diving masks attach the buckle to the skirt instead of the frame, making it easy to position correctly. It also helps in folding the mask flat, to make it more travel-friendly.
With the right diving equipment, you don’t really have to be an Atlantean to enjoy the ocean. And with the help of the brands on our list, you can experience the underwater world on your own terms. We hope this list has just given you one such apparel and brings you closer to an amazing and worry-free experience.