- 15 best double strollers
- What is the safe age to place a baby in a stroller?
- How to pick an ideal double stroller?
- Are there different types of double strollers?
Double strollers make it convenient for parents to take two infants or toddlers outdoors at the same time. It also saves a single parent from the hassle of pushing two strollers at the same time. If you are planning to pick a double stroller, here is a MomJunction post that helps.
15 Best Double Strollers
1. Graco DuoGlider Click Connect Stroller
Key benefit: The stroller is compatible with Graco Click Connect branded car seats. It means you do not have to move the infant out of the car seat to transfer them to the stroller.
- Dual in-line stroller seats with a removable canopy.
- Remove the front seat canopy and attach the Graco Click Connect car seat instantaneously.
- Each seat can recline individually as per the comfort of the baby. “Stadium-style” seating keeps the rear baby higher, which ensures visibility to both infants.
- The back seat reclines entirely flat to form a bassinet.
- Large storage basket at the base of the stroller to store toys and other baby essentials.
- Folds with one hand. You can place the stroller in a standing position for easy storage.
- Lockable front wheels, removable baby tray, and parent tray.
- Each seat can support a child of maximum 40 lb (18 kg).
2. Baby Trend Expedition Double Jogger Stroller
Key benefit: The stroller has bicycle wheels that are durable and long-lasting. The air-filled tires provide more stability and absorb more bumps when you push the stroller while jogging.
- The seat can recline to multiple positions for the comfort of the baby.
- A five-point harness keeps the baby secure while you jog.
- Brakes on the rear wheel activate with a foot pedal thus allowing the parent to slow down the stroller.
- You can lock the swivel of the front wheels.
- The rear wheel is 16 inches, and the front wheel is 12 inches. The wheels are all-terrain, bicycle-style tires.
- Ideal for babies older than six months. Each seat can support a maximum weight of 50 lb (22.6 kg).
- Front footrest for the child to rest the feet. Parent tray on top with two cup holders.
- Large storage basket at the bottom. One tab pull allows folding the stroller in a single fold.
3. Joovy Scooter X2
Key benefit: The side-by-side stroller is compact enough to go through standard doorways.
- It has large wheels that improve stability and a parking brake for the rear wheels.
- Each seat can bear a weight of 45 lb (20 kg) each.
- The width is 30 inches (76 centimeters), which makes it convenient to fit into standard doorways.
- Each seat reclines independently. You can also adjust the footrest of each seat individually.
- Tray for parents has two cup holders. It has a zipped pouch to store phone and wallet, and a large basket to store baby’s essential items.
- Folds with one hand.
4. Graco Ready2Grow LX Double Stroller
Key benefits: There is a toddler bench and also a standing platform at the back. Toddlers can stand and enjoy the sights standing on the platform while their younger sibling stays seated on the infant seat at the front.
- It comes with two seats: an infant seat and a toddler bench seat with in-line positioning.
- Both seats can be interchanged from front to back and vice versa.
- When placed in rear position, the seat faces the parent pushing the stroller. It allows the baby to look at the parent.
- Remove the back seat to access the standing platform where a toddler can stand facing forward.
- The bench allows a toddler to sit facing backward while the front infant seat stays in the forward facing position.
- You can remove either of the seats and fit a compatible Graco SnugRide Click Connect Infant Car Seat (sold separately). You can remove both the original seats that came with the stroller and fix car seats instead.
- The front seat, standing platform, and the bench seat can hold a baby/toddler of 50 lb (22 kg) each. The rear seat has a weight limit of 40 lb (18 kg).
- Removable child tray at the front has two cup holders. There is also a parent tray at the back with a pivoting cup holder. There is also a large storage basket at the bottom.
- The seat cushions are removable and machine-washable. Other parts of the stroller can be cleaned with warm soapy water.
5. J Is For Jeep Ultralight Double Stroller
Key benefits: The stroller frame is entirely made of aluminum. It means despite having a double seat, the stroller stays lightweight at just 21 lb (9.5 kg). It makes it easy to maneuver and carry while folded.
- The seats are entirely covered by water-resistant fabric, which makes it easier to clean any accidental spills on the stroller.
- Folds flat with a single fold. Comes with a strap to carry on the shoulder.
- Independently adjustable footrest and reclining seat. The footrest is padded as well for optimum comfort of the baby.
- The five-point harness straps have reflective markers for safe strolling at night and low light conditions.
- Large canopy with retractable sun visor that comes with SPF 50 protection. Storage basket present at the bottom.
- A swivel child bar in front of each seat. It gives a baby a secure place to put their hands and also protects from objects in case of accidental bumps.
- Lockable swivel action on wheels that are designed to absorb shocks for a smooth ride.
- Each seat can hold a baby/toddler of a maximum weight of 40 lb (18 kg), which brings the total carry capacity of the stroller to 80 lb (36 kg).
6. Maxi-Cosi Dana For 2 Double Stroller
Key benefit: Each side-by-side stroller seat is replaceable with a car seat. Swapping two stroller seats for a couple of car seats can usually make things cramped, but not with the Maxi-Cosi Dana, which preserves space for both the babies even when each is on a car seat.
- The stroller comes with a car seat adapter so that you can fit any Maxi-Cosi car seat, sold separately.
- Multi-position reclining of the rear seat. Five-point harness with padded straps for extra comfort.
- Removable parent cup holder that attaches to the handlebars of the stroller for easy access.
- The seat inserts are reversible and machine-washable. The inserts are also dryer safe.
- A storage basket at the bottom of the stroller makes it easy to carry extra stuff.
- Each seat can hold a maximum weight of 33 lb (15 kg).
7. Chicco BravoFor2 Double Stroller
Key benefit: It is specially made for parents with an infant and a toddler. There is a dedicated infant seat at the front while there is space at the back for a toddler to sit or stand. It is an excellent choice when you have a toddler who prefers standing or sitting on an open bench to being confined in a toddler seat.
- A stroller seat at the front folds flat so that you can attach the Chicco KeyFit or Fit2 car seat (sold separately) and also use the rear bench for a toddler.
- The rear bench has a backrest for the seated toddler and a removable child tray at the front of the baby’s stroller seat.
- Stroller folds with a single pull of a handle. It has a free-standing design, which means once folded, the stroller stands on its own and does not need support.
- Linked brakes for the rear wheels lock both wheels at the flick of a foot lever.
- Cup holder and a storage pouch on top of the handlebar for parents to carry their belongings.
- Large storage basket at the bottom of the stroller. Extendable protection canopy for the baby stroller seat.
- The stroller seat comes with a five-point harness while the bench seat comes with a three-point seat belt. The standing platform has a ridged pattern for a solid footing and handlebars for the toddler to grab.
- Baby seat and toddler bench can hold a maximum weight of 40 lb (18 kg) each.
8. Bob Revolution Flex Duallie Jogging Stroller
Key benefit: The wheels of the stroller come with a sturdy suspension that can absorb the bumps of even the roughest of terrains. If you jog on uneven, unpaved terrains with your baby, then this is the double stroller for you.
- Single foot lever lock for the rear wheels that keep the stroller stable even on the most uneven of surfaces.
- The parent’s handlebar adjusts to nine positions, which makes it easier for you to find the most comfortable position to push the stroller while jogging.
- A handlebar band goes over the wrist so that you do not lose control of the stroller even if you accidentally lose grip of the handlebar.
- Small transparent plastic windows at the back of the stroller canopy allow parents to peek into the stroller seat to see the baby.
- Easy two-step fold makes the stroller compact enough to store.
- Tires are filled with air and have a tread pattern suitable for uneven terrain.
- Each seat holds a maximum weight of 50 lb (22.5 kg).
9. Contours Options Elite Tandem Double Baby & Toddler Stroller
Key benefit: The double stroller seat allows for up to seven seating positions including a face-to-face option where both the babies can face each other. If your babies love playing even when out on a stroll, then this stroller should work great.
- The frame is made with aluminum, which brings down the weight of the double stroller to 34 lb (15.4 kg).
- You can replace each seat with a compatible car seat (sold separately). Alternatively, you can replace one seat with a Contours-branded bassinet, so that one baby can sleep and the other can sit.
- It has a large basket at the bottom, which is accessible from the top when you remove the rear seat. It makes the stroller an excellent shopping stroller when going shopping with one infant.
- Dynamic front and rear suspensions adjust to the bumps on the road, making the ride comfortable for the baby.
- Each seat can hold a maximum weight of 40 lb (18.1 kg).
10. Baby Jogger 2016 City Mini GT Double Stroller
Key benefit: Compatible with different types of car seats. Get the car seat adapter compatible with the car seat of your choice and you are all set.
- Patented folding technology allows you to fold the stroller with a single hand, by pulling a tag at the base of each seat of the stroller.
- The stroller locks into the folded position automatically, making it convenient to carry while on the go.
- Each seat, as well as the footrest area, has plush padding.
- The baby car seat adapter fits firmly into the frame of the stroller. If you are carrying only one baby, you can slide the seat to the center of the stroller.
- A canopy on top protects the baby from sunlight and rain.
11. Thule Urban Glide 2.0 Double Jogging Stroller
Key benefit: The frame is sleek, and the brake is right on the handlebar where you can twist the brake control. If you go jogging on a path that is mostly downhill, then you can consider this stroller that allows for precision control, thanks to the hand-braking system.
- Large 16-inch rear wheels and the front wheel have air-filled tires that absorb bumps better.
- Shock absorbent suspension makes the ride supple for the baby even when you jog on rough terrain.
- Throttle-style, twist handbrake controls both the rear wheels at once, thus ensuring the stability of the stroller when you slow down.
- The handlebar is adjustable to the desired height for the parent’s convenience.
- The stroller nearly folds flat, which makes storage very convenient.
- Padding is all the way from the back of the seat to the footrest, which makes the ride comfortable for the baby.
12. Bumbleride Indie Twin Double Stroller
Key benefit: The seat, as far as the footrest, is extensively adjustable. You can make the seat entirely flat, which makes the stroller quite comfortable for infants and toddlers who tend to fall asleep while strolling.
- Large wheels with a soft suspension. Air-filled tires absorb bumps easily. The manufacturer even ships the stroller with an air pump.
- The polyester used in the making of the stroller padding is extracted from recycled bottles. The fabric is non-toxic and free from harmful chemicals & dyes.
- Two foldable bumper bars for the babies to place their hands.
- It has a cargo basket and slots to place sippy cups or baby bottles.
- Folds easily with a standing stow, which means the folded stroller can be put in a standing position without any support.
- Canopies with extensions provide optimum protection against sunlight and rain.
13. Chicco Cortina Together Double Stroller
Key benefit: If you primarily use Chicco products, then you can add several other Chicco accessories like a car seat, arm bars, and cup holders to the stroller. The compatibility with some other Chicco products makes this stroller utilitarian.
- Chicco one-numbered, Key Fit, and Key Fit 30 branded car seats fit easily to the stroller without the need for extra accessories.
- Zipped basket at the bottom of the stroller keeps things safe. Zipper accessible from the rear for the convenience of the parents.
- Each seat has an independently reclining backrest and canopy.
- The stroller folds into a self-standing position and can fit into the trunk of the car easily.
14. Baby Trend Sit N Stand Ultra Tandem Stroller
Key benefit: There is only one seat at the front and at the rear is a bench and a footboard for a toddler to sit and stand. There is enough space in the back to attach a car seat of your choice.
- A child tray at the front for the baby and two large cup holders at the rear for the toddler. There are two more cup holders on top of the handlebar along with a closed compartment to store a phone or other belongings of the parent.
- Large storage basket at the base allows you to store several essential items.
- Foot-activated rear brakes help keep the stroller stationary.
- Five-point harness for the baby seat along with shock absorbers on the front wheels for a smooth ride.
- The baby seat, as well as the standing platform at the back, can hold a maximum weight of 50 lb (22.6 kg).
15. Delta Children LX Side by Side Stroller
Key benefit: Ultra lightweight and compact, this stroller only weighs 18.3 lb (8.3 kg) and can lay entirely flat on the ground when folded.
- Compact enough to fit into a standard 30-inch (76 centimeters) doorway.
- Five-point harness with padded shoulder straps for optimum comfort of the baby.
- Independent reclining option for each seat helps keep the children comfortable.
- One storage pocket at the back of each seat. There is also a detachable cup holder for the parent.
- Comes with a total of six wheelsets, which helps keep the stroller stable.
What Is The Safe Age To Place A Baby In A Stroller?
According to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, infants and children up to the age of three years can be safely transported in a stroller (1). Babies in this age range cannot walk but are too heavy to be carried by the parents.
Selecting An Ideal Double Stroller
Keep the following points in mind when shopping for double strollers:
- Weight range: Strollers have a weight limit. Check for the top weight limit of the double stroller, add up the individual weight of the babies and find a double stroller that can carry the combined weight. If your kids have a considerable age difference, then you can pick strollers with one infant seat and a bench seat or standing platform for an older toddler.
- Storage choices: Two infants or babies means twice as much baby stuff to carry. Double strollers with storage bins and pockets are best suited for the situation.
- Type of usage: Double strollers designed for daily urban use are different from those made for jogger parents. Pick a stroller according to your usage and lifestyle.
- Accessories & features: Some strollers come with a cup holder while others can double as car seats. The more the features you get for the price, the better the stroller gets.
Are There Different Types Of Double Strollers?
Yes. The following are the common variants of double strollers:
- Side-by-side: As the name suggests, it has two seats one beside the another. These strollers are best suited for twins where the weight of the infants is nearly identical.
Side-by-side strollers may not be suitable when the infants have a significant age difference, and hence a lot of weight difference. Weight imbalance can cause a side-by-side stroller to drift to one side. Also, some side-by-side double strollers can be too wide to fit into standard doorways.
- In-line: The seats are in a line, one behind the other and are also called tandem strollers. The babies will sit either facing each other or facing the same direction.
Some strollers have a rear seat larger and higher than the front seat. The back seat may even have more legroom to accommodate a larger toddler. In-line double strollers are long and thus have a larger turning radius.
- Convertibles: You can remove the second seat and convert it into a single stroller or replace both the seats with a car seat. Such strollers can be convenient when you do not carry both children at once often and when you prefer carrying babies in their car seats.
- Sit & stand strollers: A standard seat for an infant and a rear platform for a toddler to stand. Most sit & stand strollers also have a bonus sitting bench with a harness where the toddler can sit facing towards the parent. These strollers are best for parents with a young infant who needs a stroller seat and an older toddler who prefers standing to sitting.
Of the 15 double strollers we have listed for you, pick one that works for you keeping in mind the preferences of your babies or toddlers. It is always best to explore various options and go for the one after thorough comparison and review.
Which double stroller have you chosen and why? Do tell us in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.