Whether at the office or home, if you work on an elevated surface, owning one of these best drafting chairs is healthy. These chairs are designed to provide good back support and comfort to help reduce the risk of back injuries. In addition, these chairs, with their adjustable heights and wheels, are ergonomic and convenient. These chairs are ideal for those who sit and work for prolonged periods. If you have such a job, we suggest you invest in one of these. Read on to learn about the features to look for and also a few of the time-tested options available in the market.
11 Best Drafting Chairs For Back Support And Comfort In 2023
1. Best Padded Seat:Flash Furniture Mid-Back Black Mesh Ergonomic Drafting Chair
This tall drafting chair will be a perfect addition to your office. With a back width of 17–20in and ventilated mesh, this tilting drafting chair has a comfortable padded seat with three inches of CA117 fire-retardant foam. It comes with an adjustable foot ring and built-in lumbar support to take care of your seating needs at work.
- Transparent mesh allows air circulation
- Waterfall edge promotes healthy blood flow to your legs
- Dual wheel caster ensures easy movement
- Adjustable foot ring adds to the comfort
- Tilt lock mechanism locks the seat securely
- Arms are not adjustable
- May make noises on movement
2. Best Waterfall Design:Boss Office Products Ergonomic Works Drafting Chair without Arms
This modern drafting chair with a pneumatic gas lift seat for height adjustment features a 27in nylon base with double wheel casters. The strong 20in diameter foot ring of this armless drafting chair allows you to rest your feet. This time-tested contoured drafting chair has a waterfall design and in-built lumbar support.
- Allows convenient hand movement
- Contoured back for better support
- Large base provides great stability
- Allows easy height adjustment
- Ergonomically designed for correct back posture
- Wheels roll comfortably, allowing easy movement
- Height adjustment may be a problem
- Hydraulic lift system may not be durable
3. Best Comfort:Eurotech Seating Apollo Drafting Stool
Eurotech’s Apollo drafting stool is an ergonomic seating option with an adjustable backrest, footrest ring, and ratchet back to provide maximum comfort, support, and stability. Furthermore, the adjustable drafting chair has been constructed using a mesh material, making it an ideal option for extended periods of sitting.
- Adjustable armrests
- Easy to assemble
- Features a padded seat
- Includes casters and glides
- Might wobble at times
- May not be suitable for taller users
|Flash Furniture Mid-Back Black Mesh Ergonomic Drafting Chair||Boss Office Products Ergonomic Works Drafting Chair without Arms||Eurotech Seating Apollo Drafting Stool|
|Dimensions||25.5"D x 24.5"W x 50.75"H||25"D x 25"W x 49.5"H||24"D x 25"W x 56"H|
|Material||Foam, Mesh, Metal, Plastic, Plywood||-||-|
|Weight||33 pounds||0.62 Pounds||50 Pounds|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
4. Best Ergonomic Support:Modway Edge Drafting Chair – Reception Desk Chair
This is one of the best drafting chairs for use in the office, studio, or reception area. Its arms can be flipped up to 90°, and the chair allows 360° swiveling. The professional drafting chair offers reliable, ergonomic support, and the padded waterfall seat keeps your thighs and back in the right posture.
- Arms offer good support
- Easy height adjustments between 20.5in and 29in
- Caster wheels ensure easy movement and rolling
- Lumbar support for better posture
- Difficult to assemble
- Back may not be durable
5. Best Greenguard-Certified:Office Star Deluxe Vinyl Seat and Mesh Back Drafting Chair
This modern office drafting chair that facilitates pneumatic height adjustment from 24.25in to 33.75in comes with a 20in diameter foot ring, breathable mesh backrest, and in-built lumbar support to offer comfort to your back. In addition, the chair is Greenguard-certified.
- Heavy-duty nylon base imparts stability
- Adjustable chair height
- Offers great back support
- Smooth casters that don’t cause damage to the floor
- Mesh back allows air circulation
- Large knob may not fit right
- The chair may sink if you are on the heavier side
6. Best Flip Arm Design:Devoko Drafting Chair Tall Office Chair with Flip-up Armrests
This modern high-back drafting chair allows you to adjust the height from 21.25in to 30.5in. Certified by BIFMA, it is a reliable chair with ergonomic lumbar support. With many positive reviews, the swivel drafting chair has flip arms and lockable wheels that make it a multifunctional, multipurpose chair.
- Back can be tilted as per your requirement
- Padded seat and breathable mesh backrest
- Saves space as it can be pushed under the table
- 360° swivel feature
- Lockable wheels prevent scratches
- Contemporary design
- Easy installation
- May not be a great lean-in chair
- Seat may shrink on sitting
- Armrests are a tad low
7. Best Durable:Drafting Chair Tall Office Chair for Standing Desk
This drafting chair with built-in lumbar is comfortable and sturdy. It is one of the best drafting chairs with a three-degree curve seat that complements the curve of the human spine. The height-adjustable drafting chair has durable foot rings to ensure good posture.
- Has safe and durable wheels
- 360-degree swivel
- Soft PU casters ensure floor safety
- Breathable padded mesh seat
- High-back design
- Reliable five claw chair legs for balance
- Cushion may shrink after a few uses
- Armrests may be low
8. Best Stability:Harwick Evolve All Mesh Drafting Chair
The Harwick evolve all mesh drafting chair is a heavy-duty chair designed for comfort. This breathable mesh back helps with ventilation, and its plush, adjustable seat and lumbar support provide support for extended periods of work hours. The flip-up armrests allow you to easily move the chair towards the desk, while its base and casters ensure stability and mobility.
- Gunmetal finish
- Ergonomic design
- Durable construction
- Easy to assemble
- Footrest may not be suitable for people with long legs
- May be heavier than expected
9. Best Sweat-Free:Smug Tall Drafting Chair For Standing Desk
The Smug drafting chair features adjustable height and sturdy construction, providing comfort and support for extended hours of work. The foot ring is also adjustable, while the mesh back is breathable to keep your back sweat-free and offer added comfort. Additionally, the tried-and-tested home drafting chair has an ergonomic backrest that helps relieve lower back tension.
- Sturdy lumbar support for correct back posture
- 250 lb weight capacity
- Lightweight and easy to move
- Openable armrest for convenient arm movement
- Sleek and modern design available in two colors
- May be slightly difficult to assemble
- Wheels may not be durable
10. Best For Easy Movement:KKTONER Swivel Round Rolling Stool PU Leather with Adjustable Footrest
This is a comfortable leather drafting chair without arms. The seat has a 3.9in cushion made of PU, which can hold weights up to 300lb. The PU drafting chair can be adjusted from 20 to 26in, and the footrest is also adjustable.
- Seat is nicely cushioned
- 360° swivel for convenience
- Contemporary style makes it ideal for home as well as office
- Rolling stool without arms allows easy movement
- Thick backrest adds to the comfort
- · Base could have been wider
- · Poor assembling instructions
11. Best Aluminum Frame:Nouhaus ErgoDraft – Ergonomic Draft Chair
Nouhaus’s ErgoDraft is an ergonomic drafting chair that provides comfort and support. Its breathable mesh back, foot ring, and adjustable headrest and armrests allow for a customized and comfortable seating experience. The fabric drafting chair features a sturdy aluminum frame and can support weights of up to 275 lb. Additionally, the chair’s five-star base and anti-roll caster wheels keep the chair from wobbling.
- Easy to assemble
- Integrated coat hanger
- Lockable wheels
- Available in two colors
- Fabric may not be tear-resistant
- Chair may be higher than expected
How To Choose The Right Drafting Chair?
Consider the following features while buying a drafting chair.
- Height: You must measure the height of your work surface. Home experts recommend choosing a chair that can be adjusted to match the height of your work desk.
- Ergonomics: Ergonomics reflect in different features a chair possesses, including an adjustable backrest, seat tilt mechanism, height adjustment, optional armrests, seat padding, etc. All these expert-approved features together are responsible for making it a comfortable seat required for correct posture.
Janna Robinson, an interior designer and lifestyle technology expert, says, “If you work in an office, chances are your employers have provided you with an ergonomic chair. But if you work from home, owning a comfortable and supportive chair is a must. An ergonomic chair can help you maintain good posture, protect your neck and back, reduce pressure on the hips, boost circulation, improve focus, and increase productivity. I would recommend purchasing a chair that allows you to adjust the seat height, depth, back recline, and armrests to accommodate your body size and offer comfort.”
Can You Use A Drafting Chair As An Office Chair?
It is not advisable to use your drafting chair as your office chair as the height of an office desk and drafting desk are different. The seat height range of a drafting chair is different from that of an office chair. You can end up hurting your back and distorting your posture if you use it as your regular office chair.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah reviews furniture and kitchen products that make his readers’ lives more comfortable. In this article, he has collated a comprehensive list of the best drafting chairs and stools comfortable for those who need to sit and work for long hours. The article has details of each product, covering its specific pros and cons. It also highlights the importance of height and different ergonomic features of the drafting chair that one should consider.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the average height for a drafting chair?
Most drafting chairs have adjustable heights. The height can be adjusted between 20 and 37 inches.
2. Do drafting chairs lean forward?
Some drafting chairs have a forward tilt mechanism. Thus, you may look for this feature before buying a drafting chair.
3. What kind of chair is best for standing desks?
Drafting chairs with adjustable height and forward-leaning function are best suited for standing desks.
A drafting chair for standing desks ensures a comfortable experience and helps you complete your work efficiently. A good drafting chair supports your back and prevents injuries, especially when you have to work for a longer period at the same place. The above list of best drafting chairs was curated after careful research, and evaluating multiple customer reviews will help you purchase the best that will enable you to work efficiently without feeling exhausted or hurting your back. We recommend the Boss Office Products Ergonomic Works Drafting Chair Without Arms for its contoured design, the Office Star Deluxe Vinyl Seat and Mesh Back Drafting Chair with smooth casters for a scratch-free surface, and the Modway Edge Drafting Chair – Reception Desk Chair, which gives you a 360° swiveling experience.
Infographic: What Are The Advantages Of Using Drafting Chairs?
Drafting chairs are specially designed for those working in drafting or drawing professions. They provide a vantage point for sketching big designs without straining the neck, back, and arms. However, the benefits of using drafting chairs continue. Check out the following infographic to learn more about the advantages of using these chairs.
- Guilherme da Silva Bertolaccini et al.;(2016); The influence of seat height, trunk inclination and hip posture on the activity of the superior trapezius and longissimus.
- Selecting and purchasing office chairs
- Best Chairs For Artists For An Ideal Work Environment
- Best Chairs For Lower Back And Hip Pain
- Best Armless Office Chairs For Comfort And Relaxation
- Best Weighted Blankets For KidsTo Help Them Sleep Long