Clogged drains, be it in a kitchen sink, shower drainage, or in a toilet is an unpleasant sight and slow down everyday life. Food particles, paper, lint, grease, hair, and other organic matter can collect in the drains, pipes, and traps, resulting in a slow-draining sink or tub. A drain cleaner can help you clear the annoying mess and save manual plumbing costs.
Here are some of the best drain cleaner options you can try based on your need.
Types of Drain Cleaners
Below are some liquid drain cleaner options based on the type of clog and the clogged drainpipe.
- Acidic drain cleaners: These are standard clog removers made of hydrochloric or sulfuric acid. They help you clear the clogs of hair, paper scum, grease, food, etc., in 15 minutes. Do not use these cleaners on old plastic or metal drainpipes as the strong acid can corrode and damage the drains.
- Enzymatic drain cleaners: An Made of gentler formulations, they are suitable for regular use to keep your kitchen and toilet drains clear. They take as long as 24 hours to clean a clogged pipe. They are free of toxins that cause irritation to the skin or eye.
- Caustic drain cleaners: These clog-removing products are alkaline-based and work by converting the scum into a soap-like soluble substance. Sodium hydroxide is one of the prominent alkaline substances used in caustic drain cleaning solutions. They help remove soft to intense clogs such as food, soap scum, and grease, usually within 30 minutes. They are used inthe kitchen, tub, or shower drains.
Top Products From Our List
15 Best Drain Cleaners
The powerful Green Gobbler Drain Opener with high-density liquid formulation can clear your home’s main drainage line by liquifying obstructions. It is an odorless and industrial-strength formula that dissolves paper, baby wipes, hair, and grease along with soft organic matter.
While remaining gentle on drainpipes, it is also environment-friendly and safe to use against chemical-based cleaners, making it one of the best drain cleaner options for your home.
Suitable for cleaning clogged shower and sink drains, this sink drain cleaner helps clean drains by dissolving the clogs in the minimum possible time. It ensures ultimate effectiveness on kitchen and toilet scum.
It removes clogs in showers, sinks, and bathtubs and is safe on PVC pipes, metallic drainage systems, and garbage disposals. It comes with a money-back guarantee in case of ineffective cleaning.
This liquid drain cleaner, available in a 16oz bottle, is formulated for hair clogs. It serves as a suitable cleaning solution for standard bathtub and shower drain obstructions.
Available with a money-back guarantee in case of inefficient cleaning of hair clog, it has over 70% actives to clear fully blocked or slow-running drains. The professional strength drain cleaner is also suitable for old drains, and plastic or metallic pipes, ensuring non-corrosive cleaning within 15 minutes.
One of the best drain cleaners, this unique and powerful formulation dissolves clogs from bathroom drains and creates heat for effective cleaning. The heat produced melts stickiest greases from kitchen sinks and dissolves hair to clear the drain.
Leaving the cleaner in the drain overnight ensures deeper dissolution for effective unclogging. It is 20 times stronger than regular cleaners while being safe for any drain type.
An organic drain cleaner, Bio-Clean’s Drain Septic Bacteria eliminator is a unique combination of natural bacteria and enzymes for effective cleaning. Active yet eco-friendly microbes feed on the plumbing system’s organic waste to keep it clean and clog-free. Usable for up to 100 drain treatments, it helps you save on plumber costs for septic clean-up.
It serves as a suitable drain cleaner tool for septic tanks, garbage disposals, kitchen sinks, bathtubs, and shower drains.
It is a unique formulation manufactured in the United States and has a high concentration of sodium hydroxide. It instantly and effectively cleans drain lines within 60 seconds.
It is a suitable cleaner for lavatory or kitchen sink surfaces, septic systems, sewer lines, and grease tracks. This odorlesstoilet drain cleaner is durable and actively cleans clogs when used with hot water.
It is a gel liquid cleaner made with innovative technology to clean clogs from the roots. This green, safe formulation from Xion Labs is highly effective and is odorless, bio-degradable, and non-inflammable.
It is suitable for removing clogs from all types of drainpipes. It also comes with a 100% money-back guarantee.
The probiotic drain cleaner contains natural microbes and citrus oil for efficient cleaning and unclogging of drains. Its powerful green cleaning formula clears the clogged pipes by digesting and dissolving any organic waste in the drain. Its thick coating actionen hances scum digestion and odor elimination. You can use it with power sprayers, hose-end sprayers, and mopping applications. Devoid of any harsh chemical, it does not harm municipal water treatment operations or septic systems.
This powerful formulation is usable for up to four to six cleaning sessions and offers guaranteed cleaning results for slow and clogged drains.
The solution cleans through the toughest grime by liquifying and dissolving the clog. It is suitable for different plumbing settings, including PVC and copper.
Flo-Kem’s specialized non-alkaline drain unclogging solution is milky white and is soft on plumbing systems. It cleans pungent layered clogs efficiently. Its bio-enzyme formula with heavy-duty commercial-grade cleaning is suitable for tough drain clogs. It works by breaking down and liquifying the suspended grime.
The environment-friendly cleaning formulation is ideal for every drain type.
Formulated as an organic drain cleaner, Biokleen’s unclogging solution is composed of non-toxic, eco-friendly plant extracts and live enzyme-producing cultures. It easily cleans slow and clogged drains with its thick gel formula. The non-acid based cleaner also deodorizes the drains, eliminates foul smell from long-held clogs, leaving them fresh and fragrant. It is suitable for shower drains, bathtubs, and kitchen sinks.
The specially formulated liquid drain cleaning solution from Earthworm is suitable for cleaning slow and clogged plumbing systems, including drains, garbage disposals, sinks, and septic systems. It keeps the drainpipes damage-free due to the natural enzyme-induced formulation that acts as a biological catalyst.
The absence of harsh and toxic residues makes it safe for children. With its sage and citrus fragrance, the drain cleaner leaves the kitchen or bathroom fresh and fragrant.
This fast-foaming, strong drain cleaner from Buy nice ensures quick and effective cleaning of septic systems and other plumbing units, including shower drains and kitchen sinks. Its non-corrosive formula keeps the septic systems damage-free while ensuring powerful unclogging.
The powerful decontamination ability helps eliminate mineral deposits from hard water, stains, and other drainage stains. All you need to do is pour the foaming powder across the drainage for tough stain and clog clean up quickly.
Helix Laboratory’s environmentally-friendly septic treatment solution is a powerful formulation available in powdered form for effective drainage unclogging. The enzymes and natural bacteria dissolve the organic grime comprising food, grease and hair for a clearer drain.
Made of industry-leading products, it remains effective with doubled cleaning strength and guarantees user satisfaction. It offers a fresh fragrance, and you should use warm water for instant activation and cleaning.
SC Johnson Professional’s clog remover comes with a thick formulation for quick clog dissolution and drain cleaning. It can cut through clean water to reach out to the drain blockage, and clears drainages with zero passage.
You can see the results within seven minutes of its use on clogged drains. Suitable for soap scum, hair, or gunk removal, its use fits various plumbing systems, including metal pipes, PVC, septic systems, and garbage disposals.
How To Choose The Right Drain Cleaner?
Here are some essential things to consider while selecting the best drain cleaner for your shower, kitchen sink, or toilet unclogging.
- Reason for drain clog: Blockages could be tough-to-remove grime or gunk, hair clogs, soap scum, grease, plastic, food, and more. Different cleaners can help dissolve different blockages. Read the manufacturer’s instructions to determine the suitability of your selected drain cleaner.
- Time taken to unclog: Unclogging time of a drain cleaning formulation indicates its efficiency in cleaning. Choose a cleaner that provides results within a few hours of use.
- Type of drain cleaner: Drain cleaning solutions can be segregated based on their state, ingredients, and effectiveness. You can select between environmentally-friendly cleaners and chemical-based formulations, and between liquid and powdered options.
- Type of plumbing system: If a drainage system is made of PVCs or metallic pipes, go for non-corrosive cleaners. Contrarily, you can go for chemical-based acidic cleaners when such corrosive risks do not apply.
- Accompanying hazard level: Depending on their compositions, drain cleaning solutions can be toxic, non-toxic, or environmentally friendly. For houses with children, it is best to choose mild and eco-friendly drain unclogging solutions.
- Budget and pricing: Go through the price of the clog removing formulations before deciding. Make sure to check the number of uses alongside the bottled capacity to make an informed buying decision.
With this guide in place when selecting the best drain clog remover, it should now be easier to make a suitable choice. Go through the manufacturer precautions before proceeding to use the drain cleaners for safe and secure usage.