Since drones or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) became available for the general public, their popularity has increased. Today the best drones for teens are equipped with good cameras for hobbyists and professionals to take aerial photos and video footage. An aerial view provides a different perspective and artistry. Controlling a drone using a remote control and camera requires creativity and makes a great companion for teenagers to explore.
If you’re planning to buy a drone for your teenager, we are here to help you out. Here, we compiled some top drones for teens for you to make an informed choice.
Our Top Picks
How Do Drones Work?
Drones are no more complex than using your phone for playing a simulation game. They can be controlled from a joystick or smartphone with wireless connectivity. You can pre-program flight paths for your drone using the apps. The motor power, gyroscope, accelerometer sensor, propellers, etc., work in tandem to make the drone’s flight smooth.
Safety Tips While Using Drones
- Avoid flying in rough weather conditions and fly with anti-collision lighting
- Do not fly behind obstacles to not lose line of sight while mapping a flight path
- Do not fly any closer than 30m to people and maintain safe navigation to prevent accidents
- Do not go over 400 feet as it increases the chances of running into a smaller aircraft
- Operate the drone outside the five-mile limit from an airport
- Stay away from hazard areas and areas packed with a large crowd
9 Best Drones For Teens
1. Best Easy-To-Operate: Holy Stone HS110D Drone
Holy Stone drone performs beautifully with zero distortion and altitude hold technology that allows you to go hands-free for well-timed shots. This drone boasts a 180° wide-angle, FPV real-time transmission, and a 1080 HD camera for razor-sharp images. You can enjoy the effortless ease of mapping a flying route and motion maneuvering through the convenience of your smartphone.
The drone connects to your mobile device and enables multiple functions, including trajectory control, gravity sensor, gestures control, and voice control. It can also control when out of sight by activating a headless mode where the drone safely hovers while following the pilot.
- Easy to operate
- Multiple functions
- Superior app interface
- Ergonomic remote control
- May be hard to control
2. Best User-Friendly: Deerc D50 Drone
The drone allows excellent navigability with its headless mode and has a one-key operation to help start, land, and change the speed. You can draw the flight course with the waypoint function. It is fitted with two modular batteries, it lasts for a decent flight time and alarms the user when the battery levels dip low. Altitude hold and gravity control are added features for greater stability and shooting high-quality wide-angle videos and pictures.
- 2K high-definition footage
- Intuitive controls
- Good picture quality
- Smooth flight
- May veer off a little
3. Best Stability: Force1 U45W FPV Drone
Get your teen the Force1 U45W drone for a great aerial adventure. This drone connects to your smartphone via the FlyingSee app and allows you to do aerial tricks for a fun flying experience. It has an auto-hovering feature along with the headless mode for a stable and safe flight. You can easily customize the route for the drone with your smartphone. Its VR-compatible feature allows a stunning bird’s eye view of the sky.
- Easy controls
- Stable flight
- Smooth playback
- Multiple modes
- Lightweight and may not be suitable in bad weather
4. Best Ergonomic Controls: Drocon DC-014 Drone
With the Drocon Spacekey drone, enjoy the lovely panoramic pictures with its 1080p resolution camera with stunning 120° aerial view shots. Connect to the Drocon Fly app for seamless images. Navigate the drone with a simple route mapping over your phone screen as you draw the path with just a ‘sweep and drag’ of your finger. Enjoy the stability and safe flight return with the headless mode, gravity control, one-key return, and altitude hold.
- Ergonomic controls
- Durable performer
- Uninterrupted flying
- Might be difficult to trim
5. Best Non-Toxic: Force1 Scoot Duo Hand Operated Drone
Ideal for children of eight years and above, the Force1 Scoot is an absolute delight to operate indoors. This hand-operated drone takes off with a gentle toss and lights up with its vibrant LEDs. The pair of ball drones moves and changes directions as you move your hand and guide the flight. It comes fitted with smart 360° obstacle avoidance sensors for a smooth flight. The drone has a webbed shell design to protect it from its propellers and is safe to use.
- US-certified STEM toy
- Fun to operate
- Non-toxic material built
- Not suitable for older teens
6. Best ABS material: Sanrock U52 Drone
The Sanrock U52 drone could be an excellent pick for visual fun while getting high-quality, uninterrupted footage and pictures of your flying adventure. With its ergonomic control and throttling, you can enjoy 360° aerial flips, automatic hovering for stable shots, gravity sensors that move with your smartphone, and a two-speed switch option.
You can enjoy FPV footage and real-time videos with VR glasses for an ultimate 3D experience. The smart alert allows you to fly back the drone before it runs out of battery. It also comes with a stuck protection feature that halts the motors to manage the drone better.
- High-quality ABS material
- Propeller guards
- Multifunctional fun
- Easy controls
- Good picture quality
- Might not overcome the winds
7. Best Camera: Syma X500 4K Drone
Syma X500 Drone has an excellent 4K UHD camera that combines a 120° wide-angle lens with a 90° vertical gimble movement to produce stunning shots. Fitted with the GPS return feature, the drone automatically returns to the home point, even when it loses battery or connection, making it a failsafe feature. It comes with a unique gesture mode to auto shoot pictures and a ‘follow me’ mode to mimic your steps to catch an aerial view of it. A military-grade high-power battery keeps the drone in the air for over 28 minutes.
- Unique features
- Stable flight
- Excellent camera
- High control range
- Circle fly option
- Might be a little difficult to get the hang of the drone
8. Best Battery Life: Altair 818 Hornet Beginner’s Drone
Altair 818 Hornet drone could be a great option for teens starting to explore aerial photography. It includes a 720p resolution camera with a 120° wide-angle lens. The drone has long battery life and reinforced stability to withstand the winds, providing better balance for perfect aerial shots. It features altitude mode, headless mode, and one-touch takeoff and landing for the most stable experience. With a simple controller, the drone can fly with a streamlined flight.
- Three skill levels
- Good battery life
- Stable maneuvering
- Has a relatively shorter range
9. Best Flying Experience: Aovo Pro66 Drone
Packing some serious power and performance, the Aovo Pro66 includes a 90° FOV lens and a 90° tilt range camera with 4K image resolution for brilliant shots. It has seven-level wind resistance and an auto flight stabilization system to self-level itself for an easy flying experience. Its image stability helps prevent jerky shots and has an auto-home return feature where the drone flies itself back.
The drone comes fitted with strong battery life to compose the best shots. Additional features include the ‘follow-me’ mode, 5GHz FPV transmission, waypoint flight, and ‘find the lost drone’ function.
- Smooth and stable flight
- Superior camera
- Intelligent flight
- Multiple modes
- May not be ideal for amateurs
How To Choose The Right Drone For Teens?
Below mentioned are a few points you should consider before buying a drone for teens.
- Stability: A stable hover and altitude lock would allow your teen to capture clear and precise images.
- Flight time: The longer a drone stays in the air, the more it can achieve regarding photography and filming videos for the best footage. Look for one that boasts a good battery life and doesn’t lose power quickly.
- Ease of operation: Initiating your teenager into drone photography would require a smart and intuitive interface and operation. Automatic modes, easy-to-use features, smart functions, and a user-friendly interface are what you should look for in a drone.
- Image quality: A high-quality camera works wonders for crisp and brilliant shots. Features, including higher resolution, wide-angle lens, tilt range, optical zoom, and mechanical shutter, are some specifications to look for while making a purchase.
Taking aerial photographs using the best drones has become a craze among teens, and good drones can take your teen’s photography or videography experience to the next level. These drones are equipped with gyroscopes and high-definition cameras for seamless photography and videography. Whether your teen is a beginner or an expert, ensure you choose an easy-to-operate drone that delivers the best output with minimal effort for them. Further, while drones may be great equipment, make it a point that your teens follow all safety measures when using them.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Our team of professional writers and reviewers bring you this list of the best drones for teenagers. We have gone through various product websites and considered several reviews to write a detailed description for each product on the list and have also mentioned the pros and cons of each. Furthermore, we give you safety tips on using a drone and tell you the factors you should consider to choose the most amazing drone for your teen.
Recommended Articles :
- Best Camera Drones
- Best Flying Toys
- Best Outdoor Toys For 8-Year-Olds
- Best RC Helicopters For Kids
- Marvellous Toys For 8, 9, And 10-Year-Old Girls