If you are a makeup fanatic, you must know contours give your cheekbones, jawline, and nose the much-required definition. We bring you a list of the best drugstore contours that are makeup artist-approved and can make your facial features look sharper. These are also readily available in drugstores and are safe for beginners. Pick the most suitable one that can give you a glamorous look at any event or get-together when mixed with the proper foundation. Keep scrolling through our list for the trending contours with their descriptions.
15 Best Drugstore Contour Kits That You Must Try In 2024
1. Best For All Skin Tones : Milani Baked Blush – Luminoso Cruelty-Free Powder Blush
It comes with a shimmery finish and provides the right amount of color and contour to the cheeks. The budget-friendly contour kit is not tested on animals and can be easily applied with a contour brush when contouring the face. Here’s a brief review video detailing a tester’s experience to help you learn more about this product.
- A good color that does not fade
- Renders a smooth powdery finish
- Delivers a radiant contour
- Ideal for all skin tones
- Color is more akin to peach
- Stains cheeks for hours
- Looks unnatural upon application
2. Best Vegan : Aesthetica Cosmetics Cream Contour And Highlighting Makeup Kit
You can use this highlighting and contouring kit for various skin tones. It comes with instructions for using the contour and highlights on different face shapes. It contains six shades of cream for contouring – three illuminating shades and three creams/concealer shades. Check out this simple review video to understand the product and how it works.
- Not tested on animals
- Colors blend in easily
- Ideal for combination skin type as well
- Suitable for everyday use and for occasions too
- Improper blending causes problems
- Can feel oily upon application
- May result in blotchy skin
"As a newbie in the world of contouring, I found this contour kit quite good. It offers admirable coverage, especially for photoshoots. It is easily blendable, lightweight, and non-drying. I guess as I master using the different shades with time, it can yield more satisfying results."
3. Best Matte Finish : NYX Professional Makeup Highlight & Contour Pro Palette
With this contour palette kit that has eight colors, you get professional-grade highlights and contouring. The colors are creamy and can be blended effortlessly and deliver a soft matte finish. Here’s a review video that demonstrates how to use this product every day to yield a natural finish.
- Suits a variety of skin tones
- Colors can be blended to create a shade that best suits you
- Does not have a shimmer finish
- Ideal for regular, daily use
- Cruelty-free cosmetic
- Colors crumble quite easily
- Quality may not be satisfactory
- Circles are loose and may fall out
"The wide range of colors offers the scope for fun experimentation with contouring. However, the palette may not be ideal for beginners or folks with dry skin, as it is more on the powdery side and demands some blending skills."
Milani Baked Blush - Luminoso Cruelty-Free Powder Blush
Best For All Skin Tones
Aesthetica Cosmetics Cream Contour And Highlighting Makeup Kit
NYX Professional Makeup Highlight & Contour Pro Palette
Best Matte Finish
|2.38 x 0.93 x 2.38 inches
|5.6 x 4.1 x 0.3 inches
|0.62 x 4.5 x 0.62 inches
|Oily, Normal, Mature, All, Combination, Sensitive, Dry
4. Best For Warm Undertones : Contour Kit and Highlighting Powder Palette by Elizabeth Mott
Available in six shades and powder form, the shades in this kit offer complete contouring solutions. Unlike their contour stick counterparts, the powders are designed for easy application and blending, and three shades are ideal for providing highlights.
- Ideal for fair or medium skin tones
- Colors are long-lasting
- Suitable for skin with warm undertones
- Is not waterproof
- Can cause the skin to burn
- Does not have much of pigment
5. Best For Mature Skin : e.l.f. Cream Contour Palette, Bronzer, Highlighter & Shader 0.43 oz.
This contour and highlighter palette features four primary shades, making it the best drugstore contour kit, which is vegan-friendly and cruelty-free too. The creamy colors of this tried-and-tested palette can be built up, blended, and are ideal for a variety of light and darker shades.
- Colors blend well
- Lasts long once applied
- Ideal for mature skin
- Free of chemicals such as phthalates, parabens, ethoxylates, nonylphenol, triclocarban, triclosan, and hydroquinone
- Light shades appear ash-colored
- Not enough light shades
- Can be greasy
"This product has exceptional staying power. While it nestled a bit into my fine lines, I like that it can be used as an eye shadow set and a contouring kit. The variety of shades and blendable cream consistency make it easy for beginners like me."
6. Best For Concealing : SmashBox Step By Step Contour Kit With Light Medium Brush
This is one of the best drugstore contour makeup kits that comes with a contour brush. The palette is ideally suited for light and medium skin tones and can be used to contour, highlight, and bronze your face easily. So, you can easily try out your favorite celebrity-inspired makeup look.
- It lasts quite long
- Comes with instructions and is ideal for beginners
- Has a natural finish and feel
- Quantity of each color is small
- Colors are not pigmented sufficiently
- Brush quality may not be up to the mark
"I have never been big on makeup, but this contour kit, with its handy guide, is a perfect fit for me. As a minimalist, I'm all about simplicity, and this is ideal. It's light on the skin and lasts throughout the day. I think it is a perfect beginner-friendly kit."
7. Best For Contouring : Profusion Cosmetics Mini Artistry Highlight & Contour I Palette – Light Medium
This drugstore highlight and contour palette includes six colors, making it easy to create different looks. With this affordable contour kit, you can create the perfect contour.
- Easy for beginners
- Full coverage concealer
- Creamy texture and finish
- Ideal for fair skin tones
- Provides a glow to the skin
- Not tested on animals
- Shimmer portion is not adequate
- The color palette breaks during use
- Has a powdery texture
"The highlighter is a wee bit glittery, but I love the finely milled powdery texture. This unique formulation performs well on my mature skin, as it does not settle into my fine lines, and the final result isn't cakey."
8. Best Blendable:Makeup Revolution Ultra Cream Contour Palette
The high-pigmented contour palette by Makeup Revolution can help make your jaw and cheekbones look chiseled. This creamy palette has eight diverse shades, such as peachy pink, beige, and coffee brown, making it suitable for all skin tones. Moreover, this beauty contour palette has a blendable consistency, making it easy to get that contoured look.
- Vegan formula and cruelty-free
- Has a built-in mirror
- Easy to apply
- Some feel it gives a medium coverage
- Might turn cakey for some
"What I love the most about the kit is that it easily matches my skin tone and is ideal for use by makeup rookies as well. However, it has a creamy texture, and you may have to apply loose powder afterward, especially for oily skin types."
9. Best For Medium Skin Tones : Sleek Make Up Face Contour Kit
This two-color contour kit is ideal for light or very light skin tones. It has a highlighter powder with a light shimmer while the contour ensures the cheekbones and other areas are defined well and standout.
- Perfect for ivory skin tone
- Delivers a natural looking finish
- Ideal for everyday use
- Lasts all through the day
- Contour has an orange shade
- May dry out the skin
- Could cause the skin to break out
"This contour glides smoothly with a brush, which suits me, as I often employ it as an eyeshadow. It is perfect for daily use and travel as well. It tends to look muddy if overused, but with careful application, it yields a natural look."
10. Best For Highlighting : Profusion Cosmetics – Studio Icon Collection Highlight & Contour 6 Color Palette
This contouring and highlighting kit comes in six colors to provide a luminous shine to the skin. The set features a matte contour shade to let you highlight your best features, and the colors can be blended as per individual preference.
- Has a good smell
- Provides the face with a good glow
- Ideal for highlighting
- Not tested on animals
- Not enough colors for contour
- Pigment choices are not very good
"Mastering applying this contour with precision takes some practice, but once the contour is set, it holds up well, making it worth the effort. Also, I've noticed that mixing the dark highlight with my blush brings out splendid results. I wish the kit came with an application brush."
11. Best Hypoallergenic : Smashbox The Cali Contour (Shape/Bronze/Glow) Pallet
This professional-grade palette kit comes with six colors, one of which is a blush with a smooth powdery finish. There are three colors ideal for contouring and two that are suitable for highlighting, and these are versatile and blend easily.
- Ideal for summertime
- Delivers a natural looking finish
- Perfect for fair/medium skin tones
- Suitable for daily use
- Cruelty-free, and free of parabens, phthalates, and fragrances
- Powders and drips easily
- Color quantity is small
- Does not set well when applied
"This practical palette features neutral colors and comes with an easy-to-follow contouring guide that has streamlined my daily makeup regime. The shades can also be used as eyeshadows, but here's what sealed the deal for me—the durability and the natural look they offer."
12. Best Sheer Finish: Black Radiance True Complexion Contour Palette
Black Radiance True Complexion contour palette comes in three shades of medium to dark tones and is the ideal kit to elevate your everyday look. You can use this high-pigmented contour palette as a sculpting kit to shape your face and provide a sheer finish that enhances your natural skin tone and beauty.
- Pigmented and lasts long
- Not tested on animals
- May not be suitable for sensitive skin
- No mirror attached
- Could have more shades
"This palette is now a part of my daily makeup routine. It lasts all day long without causing breakouts or emitting unpleasant smells. And owing to the buildable nature of the shades, they can be used as an eyemake base as well."
13. Best Oil-Free Formula:Covergirl Trublend Contour Palette
The Covergirl Trublend contour palette comes in three shades that suit light, medium, and deep skin tones. Each palette has three pans containing a highlighter shade, a dark contouring shade, and a bronzer shade. The creamy formula is fragrance-free, oil-free, and easy to blend.
- Suitable for all skin types
- Smooth texture
- Easy application
- May be a bit greasy for somer
- May not be long-lasting
"The shades may appear darker than expected, but they work well for light contouring. This range may not be suitable for those seeking dramatic results, but it is a decent choice for all those who love subtle makeup."
14. Best For Professional Use: Tinksky 10 Makeup Brushes + 15 Colors Concealer, Highlighting and Contouring Kit
This is one of the best drugstore contour palette kits with several positive reviews, as it provides 15 colors of contour and highlights. Also included in the kit are ten brushes of various sizes that are suitable for professional use.
- Give your face a silky shine color that stays all day long
- Can be used to conceal blackheads, blemishes, and dark spots
- Brushes have soft bristles
- Good for experimenting with contouring
- Product is a little oily
- Handles on the brushes fall off
- Small product quantity provided
"The brushes in this set are soft and perfect for daily use, particularly for contouring newbies. Though the concealers may seem a bit waxy, they are still workable. I wish the brushes came with labels."
15. Best Creamy Formula: W7 Lift & Sculpt Cream Contour Kit
Get professional-looking skin with the W7 Lift & Sculpt cream contour kit. The long-lasting contouring cream formula for everyday use effortlessly blends with your skin, providing a flawless glow that lasts throughout the day. The kit features six light-to-dark contour shades to suit your desired look.
- Creamy formula
- Provides a satin finish
- Comes with a detailed application guide
- May not blend easily
- Consistency might be thick for some users
- May not have a pleasant smell
"The product worked well on my dry skin. It is suitable for both amateurs and seasoned makeup connoisseurs. It is travel-friendly, and the shades are capable of bestowing a no-makeup look as well as a loud dramatic diva look."
How To Choose The Right Drugstore Contour?
Finding the right contour that suits your natural skin tone is essential if you want to avoid the orange-hued or shimmery look. With several drugstore contouring essentials available in the market, finding one may be a bit tricky. Here, we have outlined what you need to look for when choosing a contour kit.
- If you are a beginner, pick a powder for contouring: Working with powder contour is the best for beginners as it allows easier control. A powder formula also delivers a lighter shade or pigment and allows beginners to create a realistic contour even if they use too much.
- Get contour powder or cream that is up to two shades darker: The best contouring powders and creams should be up to two shades darker than your skin tone for a darker finish to mimic how shadows appear on your face.
- Do not get orange tones, opt for ash tones instead: Ash tones in contour colors are ideal for those with lighter skin, while orange should be avoided. However, in case your skin has darker tones, opt for dark brown shades with a golden undertone and avoid ashy colors.
- Opt for colors with a soft matte finish: Even though several contouring colors come with a shimmer finish, most professionals recommend that products with matte bronzers provide a realistic look.
- Using blush is vital after contouring: Always remember to use blush, as it adds the right amount of color to your cheekbones and importantly softens the contouring, making it realistic.
- Mix various products to find what suits you: If you start contouring and find that your dry skin does not look good with powder color, do not hesitate to shift to a cream or liquid-based product, and don’t be afraid to blend products.
Paula Navarro, a professional makeup artist and style expert, says, “Apart from keeping all these pointers in mind, you should also pick a contour that is easy to blend. Avoid using a highlighter or focusing on just one area of your face, and always complete the routine with a setting spray for a long-lasting effect.”
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is powder or cream contouring better?
While a powder formula contouring kit is more suitable for beginners and oily-skin-prone folks, a cream-based one is ideal for people with experience or those with dry skin.
2. What should I put on my face before contouring?
Here’s what you can apply before contouring (in the same order)- moisturizer (skip this if the following products already contain hydrating agents), primer/ color correction cream, foundation, and concealer.
3. How do I know what shade of contour to get?
It is best to opt for a contour shade that is two to three shades darker than your true shade. Make sure that you match it with your undertone, which is the color of your veins under natural light.
4. Should contouring be warm or cool?
Warm contouring shades are suitable for those with golden undertones, while those with pink undertones would benefit from using cool contouring shades.
5. What brush should I use for contouring?
The most preferred brush-type is the angled or slanted contouring brush for precise sculpting.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag is a writer and editor with expertise in beauty, fashion, and personal care. Her well-researched product reviews ensure safety and premium quality. Her list of the best drugstore contour makeup kits can help you choose the right one for your skin tone. She has compared various products and included the pros and cons to help you make an informed decision.
Highlighting your cheekbones and jawlines with the best drugstore contour kit can enhance your face shape when paired with the proper foundation. When choosing one, you can look for a cruelty-free kit that is easy to use. You can also pick one that goes well with your skin type and is ideal for everyday use. We recommend the Nyx Professional Makeup Highlight & Contour Pro Palette, which is creamy and blendable, and the vegan e.l.f Cream Contour Palette, which is suitable for mature skin. The Milani Baked Blush – Luminoso Cruelty-Free Powder Blush is another popular pick, as it works on most skin tones. Whether you are a novice or a professional in using makeup products, we suggest picking a kit with all the products you might need for your look.
Infographic: Tips To Ace Your Contour Game
Contour kits work the best when you apply them correctly. The following infographic lists some important tips to improve your contouring skills. It will help you highlight the right areas of your face to bring out your best features.