To enhance your child’s cognitive and motor skills, here’s our list of the best educational toys for 2-year-olds to help you choose. These are the formative years of your child’s life when they begin to crawl, touch, and feel to understand their environment. They begin to make sense of the world around them.
So, educational toys can help them prepare for pre-school and make learning a joyful experience. With numerous options available, choosing the right toys can be challenging. So, explore our list to make an informed choice.
Our Top Picks
11 Best Educational Toys For 2-Year-Olds
1. Best For Preschool Training: Just Smarty Electronic Interactive Alphabet Wall Chart
Make your little one learn numbers, alphabets, word association, and take quizzes with this alphabet wall chart from Just Smarty. This electronic wall poster features a fun and colorful design to attract your child and engage them for hours. It prepares them for preschool and beyond and includes a collection of nine famous kids’ songs such as Twinkle Twinkle, Five Little Monkeys, If You Are Happy And You Know It, etc. This battery-operated poster automatically shuts off, requires less space, is easy to clean, and can be hung on the wall. You can also check this YouTuber’s detailed review to know more about the results after using this product.
- Adjustable volume
- Easy to carry along
- Interactive toy
- Includes three AAA batteries
- Easy to change modes
- Some buttons may require hard push
- Some may find it less durable than expected
2. Best Easy-To-Use: Kokodi LCD Writing Tablet
The playful writing tablet from Kokodi works as a writing pad, drawing board, doodle board, magic board, etc., to help keep your child engaged and learning in a fun way. It uses 2022 LCD pressure-sensitive technology with a ten-inch colorful screen that does not emit glare or radiation, making it safe and comfortable for your child. Suitable for writing, drawing, and graffiti, this board aids motor skill development while empowering their imagination. Portable and easy to carry, this toy is made of durable plastic with no sharp edges and is resistant to drops and shocks. For a thorough review of the product, have a look at this YouTuber’s video.
- Attached stylus
- Easy erase button
- Lock key to save content
- Reduces paper consumption
- In-built battery that can last up to six months
- Easy to use
- Some may find the colors duller than expected
- May be slightly heavy
3. Best For Social Skills: Lego Duplo My First Number Train
Help your two-year-old explore numbers with this Lego Duplo train set. This buildable locomotive set has three wagons, decorated number bricks, two-child figures, and a cat to encourage social skills and language development. Your child can construct a number train and role-play using the figures to enhance their imagination and thinking ability. This toy comprises 23 pieces, including locomotive and caboose attachments that are three-inch high, 14-inch long, and two-inch wide. Check out this YouTuber’s review of the product if you require more details.
- Helps develop fine motor skills
- Large pieces for better grip
- No sharp edges
- Safe to play
- May not be compatible with other Lego train tracks
- Blocks may come apart easily
4. Best For Motor Skills & Creativity: Likee Wooden Pattern Blocks Set
Crafted for toddlers and preschoolers, this wooden blocks puzzle from Likee lets your child stack, sort, and arrange in a sequence to create their designs. Suitable for nurturing motor skills and creativity, it features colorful shapes and patterns to help enhance learning. This engaging game keeps your child occupied for hours while catering to their safety. It features 60 pattern cards to let your little one make different patterns with a comfortable grip, providing easy rearranging, placement, and sliding.
- Improves hand-eye coordination
- Builds spatial awareness
- Non-toxic material
- Smooth and rounded edges
- Convenient tin storage box
- May not be suitable for group play
- Tiles may not connect
5. Best For Improving Recognition: Prextex My First Find And Match Easter Matching Eggs
Shaped as a realistic egg, Prextex’s carton tray with Easter eggs is safe and made of high-quality plastic. Each egg comes with a different shape and fits precisely into the yellow tray’s sections. Your child can easily open and close the tray, and it helps improve their recognition ability by identifying different colors and shapes. It is also ideal for enhancing their creative thinking and hand dexterity.
- Easy to store and carry
- Ideal size for little hands
- Develops hand-eye coordination
- No rough and sharp edges
- Flexible to play in multiple ways
- Inside pieces may fall out of some eggs
- Small pieces may cause a choking hazard
6. Best For Hand-Eye Coordination: Dreampark Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles
Comprising top-quality wooden pieces, this safe and smooth puzzle from Dreampark provides an innovative way to help enhance your child’s cognitive development and imagination capability. Featuring vibrant and bright-colored animal shapes, this puzzle is ideal for improving hand-eye coordination. The puzzle pieces measure 5.8×5.8×0.6 inches and are designed to fit nicely in tiny hands.
- Large and thick pieces
- Water-based paint
- Easy to wipe and clean
- Ideal for parent-child interaction
- May have a slight smell
- Some toddlers may find it difficult
7. Best For Animal Learning: Lurlin Toddler Puzzles
Suitable for children up to three years, this colorful and fun jigsaw puzzle set has six animal puzzles of bright colors, patterns, and shapes to help your child brainstorm and boost recognition ability. Including butterfly, bee, ladybug, owl, bear, and tortoise with six cognitive cards, this set helps promote problem-solving, hand-eye coordination, and motor skills. It is tested for safety and is free of phthalates, BPA, and lead.
- Made of high-quality wood
- Thick pieces for better grip
- Smooth, rounded edges
- Suitable for beginners
- Some may find the puzzle pieces small
- Animal cards may be flimsy
8. Best For Enhancing Imagination: Orsen Colorful LCD Writing Tablet
Orsen’s fun, bright, and colorful LCD writing tablet is suitable for coloring and writing. It features four colors, such as yellow, orange, blue, and green, with a bright and attractive screen to keep your little one engaged. Suitable for enhancing imagination and creativity, your child can use this mess-free tablet to play hangman, tic tac, and practice letter writing. Weighing around 0.183kg, its 8.5-inch LCD screen is safe, comfortable, and does not emit any glare or radiation.
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Easy-to-erase button
- Lock key for saving content
- Reduces paper waste
- Some may find the screen less bright
- Pen may not stay in the slot
9. Best Non-Toxic & Safe: Top Bright Toddler Tool Toys
Boost your two-year-old’s social skills, thinking, communication, and strategy-making with Top Bright toddler toys for role-playing and learning. This three-in-one set features a sturdy string that they can use as a pulling toy, a construction toy, and a truck toy. These toys’ bright and catchy shades help enhance your child’s sensory skills while being non-toxic and safe. They have smooth edges and are painted with safe water paints to maintain proper quality and durability. Their color won’t crack or fade, and you can easily store them without taking up much space.
- Toddler-friendly tools
- Hand-polished wooden pieces
- Built-in storage space
- Lead-free material
- Develops hand-eye coordination
- Some may find it smaller than expected
- May be loud and squeaky
10. Best Sorting Game: Ellinjan Carrots Harvest Game
Ellinjan’s carrot harvest game is perfect for improving children’s hand-eye coordination, shape sorting, color recognition, and fine motor skills. The attractive wooden Montessori toy contains 12 fruit blocks, eight carrots in two sizes, one rabbit, eight worms, and a five-sided wooden cart. Your little one can also learn and recognize different fruits while having fun sorting them. The magnetic rabbit catches the worms from the holes, and with multiple ways to play, this harvest game provides endless entertainment for your little one.
- Natural wood material
- Non-toxic paint
- Smooth polished edges
- Inbuilt storage
- Easy to grab
- Some pieces may be tiny
- May require constant adult supervision
11. Best For Improving Speaking Skills: Learning Bugs Interactive Talking Poster & Musical Wall Chart
Ideal for stimulating your child’s early development, this musical wall chart and talking poster helps improve speaking and recognition of numbers and the alphabet. It includes four educational modes, such as song mode, quiz mode, number, and alphabet mode, with large buttons to activate talking, and your child can press pictures and letters to hear sounds. Suitable for learning numbers from one to ten and alphabets from A to Z, this recognition game features nine famous songs -The Finger Family song, Head Shoulders Knees, and Toes, Wheels On The Bus, etc.
- Easy to hang on the wall or door
- Adjustable volume
- Space-saving and travel-friendly
- Auto turn-off feature
- Large pictures
- Some words may be mispronounced
- May not be crease-proof
How To Choose The Right Educational Toy For 2-Year-Olds?
Consider the following points before buying an educational toy for two-year-olds.
- Material: Choose toys made from soft, smooth, and non-toxic material to help prevent any trouble and maintain safety.
- Interest: It is essential to understand your child’s interests and preferences and buy a toy that will complement them.
- Encouraging: Look for bright and entertaining toys that are fun to play with and promote learning to help enhance your child’s communication, motor, social and cognitive skills.
Educational toys for two-year-olds should be engaging and focus on their motor skill development. Toys that make less noise help increase the kid’s concentration, learning, and creative ability. Choose from our list of the best educational toys for two-year-olds for a fun yet educational playtime.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti is a skilled product analyzer and reviewer who specializes in toys and gifts. Her knowledge allows her to provide high-quality products in her articles. After scouring hundreds of websites and reviews, she has curated this list of the best educational toys for two-year-olds. Each product includes a detailed description of its features. She has also provided a buying guide to help you select the right one for your children.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a great toy for a two-year-old?
Since most two-year-olds are still discovering how their immediate environment and how their body functions, toys that build their awareness about shapes, numbers, colors, etc., and those that stimulate their senses and help enhance their motor skills could be suitable (1).
2. Why do two-year-olds need educational toys?
Most two-year-olds are still trying to make sense of the world around them, their emotions, and basic activities such as following simple and short instructions, sorting objects by themes, and learning through imitation (1). In order to accelerate and facilitate these milestones, educational toys can come in handy.
3. How do educational toys for two-year-olds differ from any other toy?
Most toys for two-year-olds are designed to help children identify mundane objects, sort things by shape or color, place objects in simple patterns to improve hand-eye coordination, and involve simple two-to-three instructions to follow. Besides, they are designed to ensure they do not pose a choking hazard and are safe to play with.
Educational toys for two-year-olds should be fun, engaging, and facilitate their motor skills development. This is when they start becoming curious about the world and desperate to try out new things. The educational toys listed above are an excellent way to help them understand the world while keeping them hooked and entertained for hours. Before choosing the toys for two-year-olds, ensure the materials are safe, smooth, and non-toxic. Also, consider your child’s interests before making the purchase and opt for toys that match their personality.
- Toddlers (2-3 years old) | CDC
- Best Educational Toys For 8-Year-Olds
- Best Educational Toys For Four-Year Olds
- Best Educational Toys For Toddlers
- Best Educational Toys For 7-Year-Olds
- Best Learning Toys For Babies
View Profile ›