If your three-year-old is starting school, a good educational toy can help them learn new skills. Here’s our list of the best educational toys for 3-year-olds with various benefits. These toys allow your child to play and have fun while learning new and exciting things. Your child can learn about numbers, colors, alphabets, shapes, improving their cognitive and motor skills and hand-eye coordination. Some toys also promote interaction, role-playing, and skill learning. They help you bond with your child and allow them to be confident.
These stimulating toys will motivate your child to keep learning. You can check out our list to know more.
Our Top Picks
11 Best Educational Toys For Three-Year-Olds
1. Best Reusable: Toyk Aqua Magic Mat
Aqua magic mat is a wonderful ensemble to keep your curious little one busy all day. This is a reusable drawing mat that requires only a water pen to splash the colors. The set also includes six pens, eight shapes, four templates with alphabets, numbers, shapes, a drawing booklet, a jigsaw puzzle, and a storage bag.
All you need to do is fill the pen with water, tighten the cap and let your child start painting. It stimulates learning and imagination while satisfying the scribbling hunger in your child. In addition, these stencils and shapes help children improve their writing skills. The drawings will disappear in three to ten minutes and can be reused.
- Water-resistant mat
- Made of nylon material
- Has tough piping
- Can be folded to be compact
- Enhances hand-eye coordination
- May not be safe for machine washing or drying
- May slightly stain
2. Best For Improving Vocabulary: Melissa And Doug See And Spell Wooden Educational Toy
Melissa & Doug classic toy helps your child learn and recognize letters and pictures. It also aids your child in memorizing spelling and improving their vocabulary. Each board is painted with a picture, and the words are grooved into the board. Place the letters on the board and ask your child to identify and spell them one by one. It comes in a compact and sturdy wooden box, making it easy to store and carry. To make an informed decision before buying, you can check out this video.
- Letters are easy to hold
- Double-sided spelling boards
- Colored wooden letters
- Improves fine motor skills
- Smooth finish
- May contain tiny parts that can be choking hazards
- May have duplicate words
3. Best For Creativity: Likee Wooden Pattern Blocks Set
The one-of-a-kind set of blocks will keep your child entertained for hours while expanding their imagination, creativity, and other developmental skills. Likee’s set includes 36 wooden pieces in various shapes and colors and 60 pattern cards with pictures. Your child can learn to recognize the pictures on the cards and create the same with wooden pieces.
It helps your child develop spatial reasoning, color and shape recognition, hand-eye coordination, and problem-solving abilities. In addition, they are non-toxic and made of real wood. Click here to check out this YouTuber’s unbiased review.
- Has burr-free edges
- Easy to grasp
- Introduces sorting, stacking, and sequencing
- Comes with an iron storage box
- May not stay stable
- Paint may chip off over time
4. Best For Safety: Skyfield Wooden Animal Puzzles
Skyfield’s wooden puzzle is a four-piece set designed for young minds. Each puzzle features vibrant colors and adorable pictures such as a bear, honey bee, butterfly, and ladybug. These puzzles are made from durable wood pieces that have been well polished, have smooth edges, and are completely safe for children aged one to three. The product is free of lead, phthalates, BPA and coated with non-toxic water-based paint. It helps your child develop hand-eye coordination and communication skills.
- Enhances focus
- Encourages sensory stimulation
- Thick for easy grasping
- Includes a carrying pouch bag
- Ideal for parent-child interaction
- May be smaller than expected
- Puzzle frame may be flimsy
5. Best Easy-To-Use: Soyee Magnetic Blocks
Soyee magnetic blocks are ideal for tiny hands and curious minds. The set includes 52 magnetic blocks, a booklet with building ideas, and a bag for easy storage. The blocks are designed with geometric shapes and are colorful to make appealing figures and buildings. Each tile is attached to a permanent magnet, allowing them to stick together without effort.
- Develop STEM skills
- Burr-free ABS plastic with smooth edges
- Encourages creativity
- Develops logical and spatial thinking
- Improves hand-eye coordination
- Magnets may not be as strong
6. Best For Improving Concentration: HahaGift Matching Letter Game
Make learning more fun for your child with this matching letter game. This set contains 30 flashcards with 60 images and words printed on both sides, eight-letter cubes, and a tray to display the cards and the cubes. It aids in developing parent-child interaction by assisting your child in identifying objects, letters, and words.
You can teach them how to spell each word and set a challenge to match the words. It improves your child’s concentration and memory, and your child may begin to read simple words.
- Promotes strategic thinking
- Improves hand-eye coordination
- Easy to grasp
- Available in other colors
- May not withstand rough use
7. Best For Hand-Eye Coordination: FlyingSeeds Wooden Stacking Toys
Stacking toys help your child to develop hand-eye coordination and spatial concepts. This FlyingSeeds set includes four stacking toys in different colors and shapes. Apart from learning to stack the toys, your child can learn different shapes, colors, sizes, and color shade differences. They’re made of high-quality wood with smooth edges and are the right size for a toddler’s hands.
- Improves logical thinking
- Boosts fine-motor skills
- Features sturdy pegs
- Non-toxic and water-based paints
- Multiple assembly mode
- May not be safe to wash
8. Best For Improving Logical Thinking: Free To Fly Take Apart DIY Dinosaur Toys
Take-apart dinosaur toys from Free To Fly could be a perfect gift choice for three-year-olds as it has many learning and fun possibilities. It includes three dinosaur toys that are easy to take apart and then reconstruct with the electric drill and three screwdrivers. The low-speed, two-way electric drill makes it easy for your child to fix and take apart the parts. This STEM development toy is a great way to stimulate imagination, logical thinking, hand-eye coordination, and more.
- Made of non-toxic ABS plastic
- Features functional mouth, movable joints, and wagging tail
- Improves child’s attention
- Dinosaur parts can be mixed and assembled
- Easy to assemble
- Contain tiny parts not suitable for children below three years
- Some parts may be flimsy
9. Best Pressure-Sensitive Technology: Bravokids LCD Writing Tablet
Bravokids LCD writing tablet is suitable for children above three years and works with pressure-sensitive technology. It comes with a pen-like pointed stick that is easy to hold and write on the tablet. Children can write or draw colorful patterns effortlessly and can reuse this tablet multiple times. It has a lock button, and an erase button and is safe for your child’s eyes.
The product is made of high-quality plastic with anti-fall and waterproof properties for durability. This reusable battery-operated tablet could be the best way to prevent the mess created with endless scribbling on papers and floors. It comes in various colors to suit boys and girls.
- Made of BPA-free material
- Stimulates creativity
- Encourages to hold the pencil
- Easily accessible battery compartment
- Batteries may exhaust sooner
- Colors may not be as bright
10. Best For Self-Expression: Brainspark Digit blocks Magnetic Building Blocks
The digit blocks, which come in bright solid colors in perfect cubes, can stimulate children’s imagination and creativity while also helping them develop hand-eye coordination, self-expression, spatial awareness, and other skills. The set includes 48 multicolored magnetic blocks and a drawstring bag to carry and store the blocks.
These digit blocks are compatible with similar or translucent blocks set from the same brand. That means you can create large sculptures with multiple block sets. In addition, the built-in magnets, smooth edges, and washable BPA-free, non-toxic ABS plastic are safe for children.
- Helps develop parent-child bonding
- Ideal for autistic children
- Relieves stress
- Builds problem-solving skills and mathematical ability
- Some blocks may not have powerful magnets
- Blocks may be smaller than expected
11. Best For Preschool Education: Eho Preschool Learning Math Flashcards
The Eho preschool learning set is a mathematical kit that includes 11 wooden numbers, 100 multicolor sticks, ten digital flashcards, a pen, and 30 addition and subtraction cards to practice. It enables you to teach your three-year-old numbers and simple math such as addition and subtraction.
The kit can introduce your child to preschool education and is safe due to its non-toxic wood and cardboard construction with smooth edges. In addition, they are easy to grasp with the little hands but large enough to prevent swallowing.
- Includes a storage bag
- Builds problem-solving skills
- Improves focus
- Develops color recognition ability, hand-eye coordination, and more
- Numbers may not be magnetic
How To Choose The Right Educational Toys For Three-Year-Olds?
Here are a few factors to consider when buying educational toys or learning toys for 3-year-olds.
- Learning ability: Each child’s development is unique, and they do not need to be equally capable of learning and grasping concepts. Choose an educational toy that you believe your child will enjoy learning. Don’t get them a toy that is too challenging to learn at this age.
- Skill developing: Your child may have already learned some skills over the last three years. Choose a toy that will help your child’s skills advance to the next level or something that your child will enjoy mastering.
- Interactive toys: Choose a toy that encourages interaction and aids in creating a bond between you and your child or among children. This also encourages your child to socialize and gives them a better understanding of their surroundings.
- Safe to play: Even at the age of three, children tend to swallow things or injure themselves. Choose an educational toy that does not have small parts or sharp edges not safe for your child.
Educational toys allow your child to learn while also playing. They do not create extra pressure to learn but rather incorporate learning into their playtime. We hope this buying guide assists you in selecting the best educational toys for three-year-olds and improves your interaction with your child.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is a product writer who specializes in toys and gifts. In this post on the best educational toys for three-year-olds, she has compiled a curated list of toys after conducting extensive research on product reviews and listings. She has also created a buying guide to help you make an informed choice. These educational toys will intrigue your toddler and encourage them to be curious.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What toys should I get a three-year-old?
This is a very interesting and important stage in every toddler’s life. They are super curious to learn new things. It’s the right time to initiate their first step towards early learning by introducing them to fundamentals like numbers, colors, shapes, and the alphabet. The toys mentioned above not only keep your toddler entertained but also improve their cognitive skills.
2. What does a three-year-old like to play with?
Most three-year-olds like to play with toys that are colorful, stimulate their creativity, challenge their hand-eye coordination at a basic level, and allow them to indulge in elementary problem solving scenarios.
3. Is LEGO suitable for three-year-olds?
Most LEGO sets contain small pieces that could pose a threat of choking. It’s better to opt for building games that have bigger pieces.
4. How do I entertain a three-year-old all day?
Variety is the spice of even a three-year-old’s life. Instead of letting them play with only non-interactive toys like a teddy bear and dolls, it’s necessary to introduce them to toys and games that are more engaging and activity-based. These include ones that invigorate their logical thinking and imagination.
5. How do I keep my three-year-old busy while working from home?
One of the most effective and entertaining ways of keeping your three-year-old busy while working from home is to get them involved in games that keep them engrossed for a long time without frustrating them. Save your time by going through our list above for such age-appropriate toy ideas.
Three-year-olds have a brief attention span that needs a lot of stimulation to keep them engaged. You need the right games and toys in your toolkit, which will help your little one learn about the world of numbers, colors, shapes, and alphabets while still having a ton of fun. The options listed here also help strengthen the bond between parents and children. You can stack blocks together, play with dinosaurs, or improve your digital skills with an LCD writing tablet. Incorporate learning into playtime with these toys and watch your child become more and more curious about the world.
View Profile ›