The elbow is one of the toughest parts of the human body. However, it is also a body part that is highly susceptible to injuries and sprains. The best elbow pads will protect your elbows from injury, especially if you are a fitness enthusiast or a sports player. Whether you need to keep your elbow safe from damage or while competing and practicing in a sport, you would want to have the additional support while going about your daily life. These expert-approved pads can provide excellent protection from impact while being light, comfortable, and not restricting your movements. Some may even enhance healing after you get injured. However, it’s tough to choose what you want when there are so many options out there. So without further ado, read on our list of the top elbow pads to buy a suitable one.
11 Best Elbow Pads
Support your elbow region during play or post-surgery with this elbow brace made with a blend of neoprene, nylon, and Spandex. The adjustable elbow pad provides mild or medium support to your elbow joints and tendons and the fabric keeps the elbow warm, which, in turn, increases blood circulation and speeds up the body’s natural recovery. Also known as a medical elbow pad, it features a four-way stretch system that offers uniform compression around the elbow, while the adjustable strap attaches anywhere along the gear’s external surface. The tried-and-tested compression elbow pads can easily fit an elbow that measures seven to 13 inches in diameter.
- Skin-friendly and breathable neoprene
- Fits both right and left elbow
- Minimizes the buildup of moisture and odor
- Can be hand washed and hung to dry
- Allows a broad range of motion
- May not be easy to put on
- Some may find the pad a bit bulky
G-Form Pro-X Elbow Pad is one of the best pads in the market and is available in various styles and sizes for youth and adults. It features a proprietary Reactive Protection Technology, rendering the soft and malleable foam the unique quality of hardening on impact. This allowed the pad to absorb 90% of the force, giving it a competitive edge over other products. This ergonomically designed protective elbow pad is lightweight and provides a snug fit that feels like ‘second skin.’ Check out this video to learn more about the product.
- Waterproof and machine-washable
- Breathable and moisture-wicking fabric
- Has Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF) of 50+
- Has hinge-like flexibility that allows freedom of movement
- Silicone grippers and compression sleeves ensure a secure fit
- Pads may unravel over time
- May not help in protecting from major bruises or scratches
From the makers of some of the best sports equipment come these elbow guards, designed to protect your elbows against floor burns and bruises. Sold in pairs, these trusted volleyball elbow pads are ideal when playing volleyball since this sport is played on hard court surfaces where there might be constant elbow to floor contact.
- Features flexible foam
- Slips on easily and fits comfortably
- Available in two colors – black and white
- One size fits most
- Some may find the pad smaller than expected
- Might run tight around elbows
Bracoo Elbow Brace
Best Adjustable Strap
G-Form Pro-X Elbow Pad
Tandem Sport Elbow Pads
|Dimensions||6 x 0.5 x 3 inches||13 x 6 x 2 inches||-|
|Weight||1.6 Ounces||4.8 Ounces||-|
|Number of Items||-||-||2|
|Dimensions||-||-||8 x 6 x 6 inches|
Whether you are an amateur or a professional skateboarder, an effective gear such as these elbow pads are a must-have if you want to prevent injuries during nasty falls. Stylish and functional, these protective skateboarding elbow pads feature a hard plastic shell to protect you from impact while the neoprene lining offers great comfort.
- Stretchable Lycra interior
- Wrap hook and loop fasteners ensure a snug fit
- Available in five different sizes
- Elbow pads may slide around the arms
- May lead to chafing
If you are into action sports such as skateboarding, rollerblading, or biking, you need to protect not only your head and knees but your elbows, too. Liked by several reviewers, these sports elbow pads include high-density and impact-resistant caps that offer awesome protection while the EVA memory foam provides maximum cushioning and comfort. Plus, its flat cap design ensures durability and stability. Check out this product review video to learn more.
- Features comfortable lycra sleeves for a cooling feel
- Cap is securely fitted with reinforced rivets for secure fit
- Includes adjustable elastic and webbed straps
- Available in five sizes
- Velcro straps may not line up evenly
- May be smaller than expected
Protect your elbows from cuts, scrapes, and fractures with these form-fitting, padded elbow sleeves by Bodyprox. These are made of a breathable and durable knit blend of polyester and rubber, with thick EVA foams that absorb sudden impacts while allowing you to move freely. Furthermore, these sleeves provide light to moderate compression and help improve blood flow, promote muscle activity, and reduce fatigue.
- Stretchable and lightweight material
- Non-bulky design
- Versatile design–can be used for various activities
- Available in multiple sizes
- Might run a size large
- May not be machine-washable
"I love the snug fit of these protective pads. They stay put even if I fall. The padding is slightly thin and tends to get crushed with overuse. However, their longevity, despite heavy use, compensates for this minor drawback. These are superior alternatives to most arm protectors out there."
The Hopeforth compression elbow sleeves protect not only your elbows, but also your forearms from sudden impact. Made of a blend of polyester and spandex with thickened EVA pads, these flexible sleeves offer protection without restricting your movements. The cycling elbow pads also feature a silicone strip that prevents them from sliding down your arms during strenuous activity.
- Breathable and moisture-wicking material
- Environmentally-friendly material prevents allergies
- Offers about 98% UV protection
- Compression fabric to improve blood circulation
- Available in a variety of colors and sizes
- Fabric could have been slightly heavier
If you are an avid mountain bike rider, you know that crashes and falls are unavoidable. So if you are looking for an extra level of protection and comfort for your elbows, give these Hyper X D3O elbow support pads a try. The time-tested padding features D3O material, which is considered the best when it comes to shock absorption and preventing impact during a crash. Rest assured, it provides elite protection and can go back to its flexible state right after. All while the Kevlar front shield prevents pads from getting severely damaged.
- Provides adequate ventilation
- Double bound stitching ensures extra durability
- Woven upper elastic strap keeps pads from slipping
- Moisture wicking and perforated terry lining
- Soft mesh panel to keep your arms cool and comfy
- May run small
- Some users may find the pads a bit stiff
Made of 50% nylon and 50% Spandex and high-density EVA foam, these extra-wide pads are lightweight, breathable, and provide proper protection to your elbow joints without limiting movement. Plus, these soft elbow pads offer warmth in cold weather. So you can go inline skating, skiing, or sledding worry-free.
- 39-inch thick padding for optimum comfort
- High-quality and skin-friendly fabric
- Hand and machine-washable
- Has high-density shock-absorbing ability
- Might be a bit scratchy
- May restrict arm movements
People involved in extreme or outdoor adventure sports often suffer injuries to their elbows and knees. Hence, you must protect your knees and elbows with the right gear. These protective motorcycling elbow pads come with extra thick padding for optimum cushioning while also providing fantastic impact protection. Moreover, the wide-sized cap offers maximum coverage.
- Durably built with industrial weight stitching
- Flexible design enhances the range of motion
- Sleeves are made of ballistic nylon
- Available in different sizes
- May seem bulky
- May restrict air circulation
BraceAbility’s unisex elbow pad features memory foam padding and fits snugly around your elbows to protect them from scrapes, scratches, and other mishaps. In addition, the adjustable straps and medical-grade fasteners allow for a custom and comfortable fit. These neoprene elbow pads provide therapeutic heat to improve blood circulation, relax muscles, and reduce inflammation.
- Ambidextrous design
- Easy to put on and take off
- Lightweight material
- Suitable for people with arthritis
- Limited size option
- Might not be sweat-proof
Given below are a few essential features that you need to consider when buying elbow pads.
How To Choose The Right Elbow Pads
- Material: Although you want a product that offers superior protection, you need to make sure it is lightweight and durable. Elbow pads are made of various materials, with the most common ones being neoprene, nylon, chiffon, foam, and polyester which are known to withstand the test of time. That said, what material you choose also depends on the purpose of use. For instance, people in adventure sports require protective gear that features a hard shell or thick padding wrapped in flexible material like neoprene or polyester. Whereas, those who want to relieve or avoid elbow pain or need work elbow pads could opt for pads made from stretchy fabric.
- Size: Some elbow pads come in different sizes, while others have a one-size-fits-most approach. What you choose depends on the size of your arm and your preference.
- Fit: Most elbow pads come with Velcro straps or fasteners that can be tightened for a custom fit. If you’re not sure about your size, it’s best to opt for such pads. Also, consider field-tested elbow pads from manufacturers renowned for their in-depth expertise in producing quality sportswear accessories.
Why Trust MomJunction?
After comparing, reviewing, and analyzing multiple best-selling products, we have created a list of the best elbow pads to help you choose the right one. These trusted elbow pads are made of high-quality materials for optimal protection and comfort. We have considered various user reviews and tester experiences to ensure the products are safe and effective. The list also includes a useful buying guide to make your purchasing experience easy.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How tight should elbow pads be?
Elbow pads should fit snugly without causing discomfort. The elbow should fit into the cup to allow mobility, and the top of the pad must cover the bicep without limiting its movements. The pad should also give your arm a comfortable squeeze without hindering blood circulation.
2. How do I measure my elbow for elbow pads?
Follow these steps to size your elbow pads:
- Extend your arm straight out so that it is parallel to a flat surface.
- Measure the circumference of your elbow, bicep, and forearm with a measuring tape.
- Use this measurement and align it with the elbow pad sizing chart.
3. Do I need elbow pads for soccer?
Soccer players, besides the goalkeeper, do not need to wear elbow pads.
4. Can I wear knee pads as elbow pads?
Both knee and elbow pads are cushioned to protect you from injuries. If your arm aligns with the measurements of the knee pads, then you may use them as elbow pads.
5. Do elbow pads prevent fractures?
Elbow pads protect the elbow joints in your arms and help reduce the risk of injuries that may lead to fractures (1). Although they cannot prevent fractures, they can reduce the impact of injury.
6. How long do elbow pads last?
The longevity of elbow pads depends on the extent of their use. Daily sports players may need to replace their elbow pads sooner than occasional players. However, cleaning and maintaining your elbow pads on a regular basis can extend their lifespan and make them last longer.
Elbow pads are handy protective gear that protect the elbows from injury and are especially useful when you’re playing a high-intensity sport or recovering from surgery. Moreover, they also protect your elbows from sunburn. Based on your needs and requirements, you may choose one that features either a hard shell or thick padding or pick one with stretchy fabric that allows for free movement. Regardless of the elbow pad you choose, always ensure it is breathable, moisture-wicking, and the right fit.
Infographic: How To Wash And Maintain Elbow Pads
Elbow pads protect elbows from injuries during high-impact activities, such as gymnastics, martial arts, skating, and lifting weights. However, frequent use of elbow pads can make them dirty and odorous, causing skin irritation and infections. Read through the infographic to learn how to clean and maintain elbow pads.
- Risk factors for injuries from in-line skating and the effectiveness of safety gear: