The best electric breast pumps come with a host of features and allow breastfeeding moms to express their milk and store it conveniently for later use. You can choose from various types of breast pumps to make breastfeeding your baby easier.
This post includes a list of some tried-and-tested breast pumps from trusted brands that let you feed your precious breastmilk to your baby at your convenience, even when you are outside your home. So, check out the list to pick the right one.
14 Best Electric Breast Pumps
1. Best For Double Pumping: Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump
If you’re looking for something practical, this advanced double pump offers a faster rate of pumping than most pumps, making it perfect for moms who pump several times a day. It has a two-stage pumping mechanism that helps you stimulate the letdown of milk and express it into the container. It is a great option for busy mothers as it ships with a cooler bag containing four bottles to store and carry the milk. Learn how to use the efficient electric breast pump from this video.
- Built into a tote bag for working mothers to easily carry it around
- Provides full control of the suction pressure using the rotary knob
- Portable and user-friendly
- Equipped with a portable battery pack
- Adjustable speed and vacuum with one touch
- Some moms might not find the cooler space sufficient
2. Best Dishwasher-Friendly: Philips Avent Double Electric Breast Pump
This three-in-one double electric pump set comes with a pump, a storing bottle, and feeding nipple for bottle feeding. It includes a breast suction cup that contains specialized contours to mimic the baby’s sucking. The pump motor starts in the stimulation mode and switches to the expression mode after you have a milk letdown, making it seamless and rather intuitive. Watch this review video to learn about a tester’s experience with using the product.
- Fewer parts make it easy to disassemble and clean the pump
- Allows you to choose from three expression settings
- Comes with a travel bag for easy and discreet mobility
- Breast pump parts are dishwasher safe
- All parts that come in contact with breast milk are BPA-free
- Suction strength on level 3 might not be strong enough
- Suction cups might leak slightly when used with silicone pads
3. Best Hospital-Grade: Spectra Baby USA S2 Plus Premier Electric Breast Pump
Here’s a double-suction, hospital-grade breast pump that uses a closed pumping system, wherein the breast milk does not get into the tube and components of the pump motor. It works on direct power using an AC adapter. You may check out more about this gentle electric breast pump from a tester’s experience in this video review.
- Has built-in nightlight
- Backflow protection
- Makes the expressing process comfortable
- Can also be used as a single electric breast pump
- Parts that come in contact with breast milk do not contain BPA and DEHP
- Quality of the breast pump accessories could have been better
- Suction might be slightly uncomfortable in the wrong setting
4. Best Contamination Protection: Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump
Ameda’s single-user double electric pump is designed to be compact, portable, and skin-safe, making it a reliable and trusted choice of new moms. The pump motor only weighs a pound (453 grams), making it easy to carry around in your purse when headed to work or anywhere else. It comes with a patented diaphragm-based protection system that keeps contaminants out, thus preventing contamination of milk. The electric breast pump also prevents the backflow of milk into the pumping tube.
- Adjustable-suction electric breast pump with eight pressures
- Also offers a choice of four pumping speeds
- Lets you pump both breasts simultaneously
- Individually adjustable cycle and suction controls
- Valves on each pump might be slightly delicate
- Pump might be a little noisy
5. Best For Discreet Pumping: Medela Pump In Style Double Electric Breast Pump
The Medela electric double breast pumps are a convenient and discreet solution for mums on the go. This stylish microfiber bag houses the in-built pump and features bottle holders and pockets to organize the tubing. Safe and effective, the set also includes a removable cooler bag, contoured ice packs, and four extra milk bottles to store the expressed milk securely.
- Parts in contact with breast milk are BPA-free
- Two-phase expression technology
- Adjustable speeds
- Portable battery for discreet pumping anywhere
- Cooler bag may be smaller than expected
- Etching on the bottles may fade after multiple washes
6. Best With Digital Display: Lansinoh Signature Pro Double Electric Breast Pump
A highly configurable double pump, this device allows you to control the pumping style and level of suction. Known for its proven performance, the motor unit contains a digital display and buttons to easily control different components of the pumping process. A diaphragm cap and cover on top of the pumping bottle help keep the tubes clean by preventing backflow of milk, so you don’t have to worry about any cleaning hassles.
- Choose from three pumping styles and eight suction modes
- Unit works well both with batteries or direct power from mains
- Versatile, convenient, and super-hygienic
- BPA- and BPS-free parts make it safe for mom and baby
- Might be slightly noisy
- Lacks a stand to hold bottles
7. Best Compact: Evenflo Feeding Advanced Double Electric Breast Pump
When in need of something compact and efficient, this double-pumping device will serve you just right. It operates on a closed pumping system that prevents the milk from flowing through the tube and into the motor, making it much less of a headache to clean. You can use this with an AC adapter or with batteries, which makes it ideal for discreet, on-the-go nursing.
- Allows you to control the speed of milk expression and suction level
- Double suction makes pumping quick and comfortable
- Comes with three suction cup sizes to provide the best fit for the areola region
- Motor base contains two slots to hold the bottles
- Flanges might be slightly difficult to figure out
- Suction might not be as strong on battery life
8. Best With Suction Adjustment: Tstrete Wearable Breast Pump
The Tsrete hands-free, wireless, and portable breast pump has two modes for efficient and pain-free pumping. The massage mode massages and stimulates the breast for proper milk flow before pumping, while the pumping mode mimics the baby’s sucking rhythm. This USB-rechargeable, LCD display electric breast pump features nine adjustable suction intensity levels and a memory function for quick and easy access to previous settings.
- Anti-backflow and leak-proof design
- Comes with detachable accessories
- Auto-shutoff function
- BPA-free, food-grade silicone
- Low-noise and no-disturbance design
- May not be very easy to clean
- Suction power might weaken over time
9. Best Lightweight: Ardo Alyssa Double Electric Breast Pump
Here’s a safety-tested and FDA-approved double electric breast pump by Ardo Alysa that features an automatic power pumping feature with pre-set phases. The mom-approved breast pump mimics a baby’s natural sucking motion to promote milk production. The breast pump’s portable and lightweight design makes it easy to use on the go or at home. Additionally, you can easily control the rechargeable electric breast pump machine via the MyArdo app on your phone.
- Memory plus function saves pumping history
- Offers 64 adjustable settings for vacuum and cycles
- Touch screen and power button safety feature
- BPA- and BPS-free
- Might be a little noisy on high vacuum settings
- Some may find the flange a little big
10. Best Ergonomic: MomMed Double Wearable Breast Pump
MomMed’s double-wearable electric breast pump features three modes and twelve levels, allowing customization and a comfortable and pain-free pumping experience. This ergonomically designed breast pump is suitable for use when traveling as it is wireless and produces less than 45dB of sound. Additionally, the electric breast pump with customizable settings has an all-in-one design and a semi-circular body, making it easy and discreet to pump milk.
- Comes with an extra flange
- Leak-proof design
- BPA-free electric breast pump
- Storage bag included
- May not have a reset function
- Some might find the flange a bit large
11. Best For Sterilizing Breast Milk: Tommee Tippee Electric Breast Pump
Simple, straightforward, and efficient, this single electric breast pump is designed with a flat motor unit that is easy to carry around. The electric breast pump ships with a microwave sterilizer box, which allows you to sterilize the components by placing them in water and heating it inside the microwave oven.
- Designed to mimic baby’s natural feeding action
- Dual power input from direct mains or batteries
- Suction cup is made of soft, skin-friendly silicone
- Makes milk expression extra comfortable
- Some might find the plastic tubes slightly short
- May not be noiseless
12. Best With Smartphone Connectability: Medela Sonata Smart Double Electric Breast Pump
If you are looking for a smart, sophisticated, and rechargeable companion to make on-the-go pumping a breeze, this might be the right one for you. The double pump features a central motor console boasting the ability to connect to smartphones, and the pump unit transmits data through Bluetooth to a smartphone app. The quiet electric breast pump follows a simple process that begins with milk collection followed by the stimulation phase and then goes into the expression mode after milk letdown.
- Helps you track and monitor your usage
- Compact design for easy portability
- Maximizes milk expression when double pumping
- Super-intuitive and user-friendly controls
- Parts might be slightly difficult to replace
- May not be easy to clean
13. Best For Closed Pumping: Spectra Baby USA S1 Plus Electric Breast Pump
This hospital-grade, double breast pump is designed to emulate the natural breastfeeding experience as precisely as possible. The hygienic electric breast pump features easy button-operated controls to help you change the vacuum and rate of milk expression, while the closed system pumping keeps the components free of milk. The powerful inbuilt rechargeable battery means no hassle of replacement and no need for constant connection to the mains while in use.
- Night light allows discreet pumping at night
- Portable and lightweight to carry around
- Tube remains clean and hygienic even after use
- Comes with two flange sizes (24mm and 28mm)
- Lower settings may not be powerful enough
- Quality of the tubing connectors could have been better
14. Best Rechargeable: Ikare Electric Breast Pumps
The Ikare hospital-grade electric breast pump features a touch-screen HD display system with a sensitive touch panel for easy control. For customized, pain-free, and comfortable pumping, the anti-reflux closed system electric breast pump offers five preset modes, each with six suction levels, and one freestyle mode with six levels of suction and 20 cycle levels. Additionally, the built-in rechargeable battery can be charged using a USB cable.
- Food-grade, BPA-free, non-toxic, and odor-free PP silicone
- Lightweight and portable
- Emits less than 35dB of sound
- Available in 21, 24, and 27mm flange sizes
- Parts might be slightly difficult to replace
- Suction power might decrease upon prolonged use
When Can You Use A Breast Pump?
Breast pumps are devices that let you express milk conveniently. You can get manual breast pumps or electric breast pumps. Electric breast pumps are convenient since they automate the process of expressing milk when connected to a power outlet. You can consider breast pumps if you plan to
- Return to work: The best and safest food for a baby is breast milk, and a working mom can continue to provide it with the help of a breast pump.
- Store milk for a later feed: You can express milk with a breast pump and save it for later use. Breast pumps come in handy when your baby is unwell and has trouble latching to the breast at a given point.
- Relieve engorgement: Pumping milk out can provide relief from breast engorgement, especially when you are unable to breastfeed for some reason. Relief from engorgement further helps prevent other complications such as mastitis (infection of milk ducts)
Besides these, an electric breast pump also offers convenience when it comes to expressing milk from the breast. Electric pumps do not require any physical effort to express milk, unlike their manual counterparts.
Regina Kincaid, a midwife and lactation consultant, says, “If you have a premature baby or if your baby is ill, it may not be possible for you to breastfeed them directly. Here, a hospital-grade electric breast pump can come in handy and help you meet your baby’s nutritional requirements. Breast milk is especially important for premature babies.”
How To Choose An Electric Breast Pump?
You need to keep the following points in mind when picking an electric breast pump:
- Single or double pump: A single electric pump only has one pumping cup, which means you can express milk only from one breast at a time. Single electric breast pumps are portable and lightweight when compared to double electric breast pumps. Also, single breast pumps can be ideal if you pump occasionally or only need to pump to ease engorgement on one breast.
Double electric pumps have two pumping cups, which allow you to pump from both the breasts simultaneously. It considerably improves the rate of milk expression and thus saves a lot of time. Double electric pumps cost more than single pumps.
- Single-user or multi-user: Single-user pumps are designed for use for one person and may last only one lactation phase. Multi-user pumps are more robust and can last longer. A multi-user pump has better build materials, and thus are also called hospital-grade pumps. The high usability of multi-user pumps comes at a steep price though, and it may cost twice or even thrice the cost of a single-user breast pump.
- Insurance coverage: If you intend to cover the pump cost through insurance, then check with your insurance provider to know which breast pumps they pay for.
Note that your usage style and frequency of pumping determines your need. Personal preference and the preference of your partner can also play a role. Therefore, make a choice accordingly.
Tips For Electric Breast Pumps Usage
Here are some tips for optimum electric breast pump usage:
- Sanitize parts before first use: Most pump manufacturers recommend boiling the suction cup and bottle parts for about ten minutes before the first use. Some manufacturers may provide a storage box for disinfection in the microwave oven. Check your pump’s user manual for the recommended disinfection guidelines.
- Clean and dry after every use: Opt for easy-to-clean electric breast pumps. Rinse the parts of the pump that come in contact with breast milk first with cold water. Soak them in warm soapy water for a few minutes, and then use a dishwashing cloth/sponge to clean. Rinse again with water. Leave the parts for air drying. Make sure the parts are entirely dry before next use. Manufacturers may recommend different cleaning methods, so always refer to the user manual.
- Inspect regularly: Parts of the pumps can be subject to wear and tear. Inspect your pump periodically for any signs of damage. Suction cups, tubes, and valves are subjected to friction due to movement. These components should be checked more often.
- Single-user or multi-user: Some pumps are intended for a single user only despite being hospital grade. Usage of single-user pumps by multiple users can void the warranty. Once you reach the end of your usage, then check if the pump can be passed on to someone else. Multiple user pumps can be given away to a friend or family member who is need of an electric breast pump.
Multiple user pumps can be given away to a friend or family member who is in need of an electric breast pump.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna is passionate about researching and reviewing baby and nursing products, and she ensures that the products she recommends are safe for infants and trusted by moms. She has compiled this list of the best electric breast pumps in the market that can offer you maximum comfort while breastfeeding. Further, she has conducted extensive research on these products by going through numerous user reviews and product listings. This post also includes a buying guide explaining the features of each product
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is an electric breast pump good?
Yes, electric breast pumps are good to use and help you express the milk quickly and easily when compared to manual breast pumps. They save you time and hard work and are ideal for mothers who exclusively depend on the expressed milk to feed the baby and to maintain the milk supply.
2. How do I know which electric breast pump works for me?
The best way to pick the right breast pump that works for you is by consulting a lactation expert. You should prioritize your pumping needs to know what works best for you. For someone who entirely depends on expression right from the beginning, a hospital-grade electric breast pump works best. If not for occasional use, you may go for a portable or single electric breast pump.
3. Does using a breast pump change the appearance of breasts?
Breastfeeding is a journey where breasts go through several changes throughout the day, and over time. This may naturally cause changes in the appearance of breasts, and a breast pump might only have a minimal role to play in this change.
4. How portable is an electric breast pump?
Portable electric breast pumps are available in different sizes and some can also be worn under your bra. These hands-free electric breast pump options are best for mothers who need to pump in public. Some portable electric breast pumps are made lightweight for easy carrying with a double or single pump.
5. How quiet do I need the electric breast pump to be?
Some electric breast pumps operate on a quiet motor that does not disturb your baby. If you are someone who is using the breast pump in a public place or at the workplace, you might need a breast pump that works as quietly as possible.
Electric breast pumps are a boon to mothers as they help mothers pump their milk effectively and without consuming too much time. They are a superior alternative to manual breast pumps as they do not manually have to pump it, allow you to pump both breasts at once, and are easy to clean and sanitize. However, before choosing the best electric breast pump, ensure they can pump both breasts at once, are hospital-grade, and are covered by insurance since they are an expensive investment.
Infographic: How To Care For Breast Pump Tubing?
Breast pump tubing is a vital component of breast pumps, facilitating breast milk’s safe and efficient expression. However, you must follow certain precautions while handling the tubes to maintain hygiene and ensure durability. Refer to the infographic below to learn how to use the breast pump tubing carefully.
- Breast Milk for Your Hospitalized Infant: Electric Breast Pump.
- Tips for Pumping with an Electric Breast Pump.