- 15 best electric breast pumps
- When can you use the breast pump?
- How to choose an electric breast pump?
- Tips for electric breast pumps usage
Electric breast pumps are machines that allow moms to express breast milk for convenient storage and use later. There are several types of breast pumps, each with varying features. Picking the right kind of breast pump should depend on your usage. In this MomJunction article, we list 15 best electric breast pumps that let you make breast milk available to your baby even when you are at work.
15 Best Electric Breast Pumps
- An advanced double pump with a faster rate of pumping, which makes it ideal for moms who pump several times in a day.
- The pump is built-in to a tote bag thus making it easy for a working mother to carry it around.
- Two-stage pumping mechanism, one to stimulate the letdown of milk and the other to express milk into the milk container.
- Full control of the suction pressure using the rotary knob.
- Runs on batteries or direct AC power.
- Ships with a cooler bag with four bottles to store and carry the milk.
Shop Related Products:
- A three-in-one double electric pump set with a pump, a storing bottle, and feeding nipple for bottle feeding.
- Fewer parts make it easy to disassemble and clean the pump.
- The breast suction cup contains specialized contours to mimic the baby’s sucking.
- The pump motor starts in the stimulation mode and switches to the expression mode after you have a milk letdown. Choose from three expression settings.
- Comes with a travel bag for easy and discreet mobility.
- The breast pump parts are dishwasher safe. All parts that come in contact with the breast milk are BPA-free.
Shop Related Products:
- Double, hospital-grade breast pump that works on direct power using an AC adapter.
- The pump uses a closed system of pumping where the breast milk does get into the tube and components of the pump motor. It helps keep the system clean and sanitary.
- Custom settings for all features including suction and expression pressure. It helps make the expressing process comfortable.
- All parts of the pump that come in contact with breast milk do not contain BPA and DEHP.
Shop Related Products:
- A single-user, double electric pump designed to be compact and portable. The pump motor only weighs a pound (453gms).
- A patented diaphragm-based protection system keeps contaminants out thus preventing contamination of milk. The system also prevents the backflow of milk into the pumping tube.
- You can pick from eight adjustable suction pressures depending on your comfort. There is also a choice of four pumping speeds.
- Save time with dual pumping function where you can pump from both breasts simultaneously.
Shop Related Products:
- Single breast pump with an easy-to-use digital motor control unit that allows you to customize the pumping process.
- All parts that come in contact with the breast milk are made with medical-grade plastic and free from BPA.
- A massage function helps stimulate milk letdown. Once there is milk letdown, you can switch to the expression mode.
- The collection bottle and tube design prevent the backflow of milk into the pump motor.
- The digital display provides all the important information in an easy-to-understand format, which makes controlling the unit easier.
Shop Related Products:
- A highly configurable double pump that allows you to control the pumping style and the level of suction.
- The motor unit contains a digital display and buttons to control different components of the pumping process.
- A diaphragm cap and cover on top of the pumping bottle help keep the tubes clean by preventing backflow of milk.
- You can choose from three pumping styles and eight suction modes for optimum comfort while expressing milk.
- The unit works both with batteries or direct power from mains.
- Double pump with a compact motor design. You can use the pump with an AC adapter or with batteries, which makes it portable.
- The closed pumping system prevents the flow of the milk through the tube into the motor.
- You can control the speed of milk expression and also the suction level, thus making milk pumping comfortable.
- The pump comes with three suction cup sizes to provide the best fit for the areola region. Three additional suction cup sizes are sold separately.
- The motor base contains two slots to hold the bottles.
- Double electric pump with a super quiet and compact motor that makes it easy to carry.
- Easy to clean parts. All components that come in contact with breast milk are free of BPA.
- The closed system pumping prevents the flow of milk to the pump motor. Pumps functions with a direct connection to the mains.
- Ships with two milk bottles that have a slow-flow nipple.
- There are nine levels of suction adjustment, which means you can customize the pump function to your comfort.
- Portable double pump. Integrated battery can be charged through the USB port. Conveniently charge with a power bank or even a computer.
- A silicone pad with petal pattern allows for active stimulation of the breast nipple thus improving the flow of the milk.
- Anti-backflow mechanism prevents milk contamination.
- It is made from food-grade silicone. It does not contain BPA.
- Super quiet motor operation while pumping, which allows you to pump without disturbing the baby or those around you.
- Electric double pumps that can be controlled independently, which means you can set different rates of milk flow from each breast.
- Food-grade silicone cushion/pad makes repeated milk expression comfortable.
- Made from materials that are FDA-approved and free of BPA.
- The backlit LCD allows you to see the status of pumping and also makes it convenient to pump during night time.
- Single electric breast pump with a flat motor unit that is easy to carry around.
- The pump ships with a microwave sterilizer box, which allows you to sterilize the components by placing them in water and heating it inside the microwave oven.
- Dual power input, either from direct mains or batteries.
- The suction cup is made of soft silicone to make milk expression extra comfortable.
- Double pump with a sophisticated central motor console that has smartphone-connecting capabilities.
- Begins milk collection with the stimulation phase and then goes into the expression mode after milk letdown.
- The pump unit transmits data through Bluetooth to a smartphone app. You can track and monitor your usage.
- Quiet pump function and compact design for easy portability.
- Comes with two storage bottles with lids.
- Ships with a cooler bag for storage bottles and a large tote bag to carry the pump.
- Hospital-grade, double breast pump that features an inbuilt rechargeable battery. It means no hassle of replacing the battery and no need of constant connection to the mains while in use.
- Easy button-operated controls to change vacuum and the rate of milk expression.
- Closed system pumping allows keeping the components of the pump free of milk and thus clean.
- Single button operated night light, which allows you to pump during night discreetly.
- Double breast pumps with a digital display and control unit. Touch LCD panel makes it easy to monitor and control various functions of the pump.
- The pump motor unit is entirely wireless with an inbuilt rechargeable battery. You can charge the battery using a USB cable.
- The motor unit can also double as an emergency power bank for your electronic devices.
- Contains a large capacity battery and makes low noise on function.
- The suction pads are made of food-grade silicone. Completely BPA free.
- Breast pump with double suction cups. Motor operates on an inbuilt rechargeable battery.
- Long lasting battery capacity. One single full charge provides four hours of operation time.
- Control the speed and vacuum pressure of each suction cup independently.
- Compact and highly portable making it an ideal choice for working moms.
- Ships with two milk collection bottles with lids. It means you can store the milk immediately after you collect it.
When Can You Use The Breast Pump?
Breast pumps are devices that let you express milk without the need of direct breast compression with hands. You can get manual breast pumps or electric breast pumps. Electric breast pumps are by far the most convenient since they automate the process of expressing milk when connected to a power outlet. You can consider breast pumps if you plan:
- Returning to work: The best and safest food for a baby is breast milk, and a working mom can continue to provide it with the help of a breast pump.
- Storing milk for a later feed: You can express milk with a breast pump and save it for later use. Breast pumps come hand when your baby is unwell and has trouble latching to the breast at a given point.
- Relieve engorgement: Pumping milk out can provide relief from breast engorgement, especially when you are unable to breastfeed for some reason. Relief from engorgement further helps prevent other complications such as mastitis (infection of milk ducts).
- Convenience: An electric breast pump is a convenient choice when it comes to expressing milk from the breast. Electric pumps do not require any physical effort to express milk, unlike their manual counterparts.
Once you know why you need a breast pump, you must be aware of how to pick the best one.
How To Choose An Electric Breast Pump?
You need to keep the following points in mind when picking an electric breast pump:
- Single or double pump: A single electric pump only has one pumping cup, which means you can express milk only from one breast at a time. Single electric breast pumps are portable and lightweight when compared to double electric breast pumps. Also, single breast pumps can be ideal when you pump occasionally or only need to pump to ease engorgement on one breast.
Double electric pumps have two pumping cups, which allow you to pump from both the breasts simultaneously. It considerably improves the rate of milk expression and thus saves a lot of time. Double electric pumps cost more than single pumps.
- Single-user or multi-user: Single-user pumps are designed for use for one person and may last only one lactation phase. Multi-user pumps are more robust and can last longer. A multi-user pump has better build materials, and thus are also called hospital-grade pumps. The high usability of multi-user pumps comes at a steep price though, and it may cost twice or even thrice the cost of a single-user breast pump.
- Insurance coverage: If you intend to cover the pump cost through insurance, then check with your insurance provider to know which breast pumps they pay for.
Do note that your usage style and frequency of pumping determines your need. Personal preference and the preference of your partner can also play a role. Therefore, make a choice accordingly. Next, we take a look at the best ones.
Tips For Electric Breast Pumps Usage
Here are some tips for optimum electric breast pump usage:
- Sanitize parts before first use: Most pump manufacturers recommend boiling the suction cup and bottle parts for about ten minutes before the first use. Some manufacturers may provide a storage box for disinfection in the microwave oven. Check your pump’s user manual for the recommended disinfection guidelines.
- Clean and dry after every use: Rinse the parts of the pump that come in contact with breast milk first with cold water. Soak them in warm soapy water for a few minutes, and then use a dishwashing cloth/sponge to clean. Leave the parts for air drying. Make sure the parts are entirely dry before next use. Manufacturers may recommend different cleaning methods so always refer the user manual.
- Inspect regularly: Parts of the pumps can be subject to wear and tear. Inspect your pump periodically for any signs of damage. Suction cups, tubes, and valves are subjected to friction due to movement. These components should be checked more often.
- Single-user or multi-user: Some pumps are intended for a single user only despite being hospital grade. Usage of single-user pumps by multiple users can void the warranty. Once you reach the end of your usage, then check if the pump can be passed on to someone else. Multiple user pumps can be given away to a friend or family member who is need of an electric breast pump.
Electric breast pumps provide an opportunity to balance breastfeeding with work. Working mothers can continue giving breast milk to their babies without compromising their career. Regular inspection, care, and cleaning are all that you will need to keep your breast pump running in its best condition.
Have something to share about breast pumps? Do tell us in the comment section below.
- CMBEAR Electric Breast Feeding Pump Review
- Pigeon Breast Pump Pro Review
- Kiddale Electric Breast Feeding pump Review
- Trumom Advance Breast Milk Feeding Pump Review