Some children show an inclination to cars and driving from a young age. If this sounds like your child, you could consider getting them some of the best electric cars for kids. This toy has taken over the market, with models ranging from BMW to Maserati.
Having a car like this enables your little one to learn the fundamentals of driving. However, you don’t have to worry about their safety because you can easily control it with a remote. Also, there’s no fuel cost involved because these cars run on rechargeable batteries.
If your child enjoys accompanying you on car rides, you could get them an electric car to drive like the real thing while still being able to control its movements. Here, we list some of the most fun electric car toys children will enjoy.
9 Best Electric Cars For Kids To Have A Safe Ride In 2024
1. Best For Rocky Terrains: Best Choice Products 12V Ride On Car Truck
The motorized kids’ vehicle with a non-toxic plastic body and adjustable seat belts looks like a real truck. Its 14-inch traction wheels with a spring suspension system and 12v motor ensure that your kid has a smooth ride even on rocky terrain. The remote control enables you to take charge of the truck whenever you want. This attractive jeep is suitable for children aged 3 to 8 years. Learn more about this product by watching this video.
- Can be operated with remote control as well as the in-car control system
- Comes with a music player and LED lights
- AUX outlet enables playing from other media devices
- Available in five colors
- The seat is slightly hard and does not come with padding
- Poor customer service by company
"I got this ride-on car as a birthday gift for my child, and it is a joy to watch her ride in it. Though slightly complex, the assembly was made worth it with features such as Bluetooth and remote control. Plus, the car can climb steep inclines, and the battery life is impressive."
2. Best Beginner Friendly: Dakott GMC Sierra Denali HD Electric Car
The GMC Sierra Denali HD can be driven on grass, gravel, and slight inclines with the help of the foot pedal and steering wheel or controlled via a remote control, making it a beginner-friendly option. It comes with an onboard sound system with an AUX port, MP3, SD card socket, and USB port, allowing your young one to enjoy their favorite music while they ride in the car.
- Two speed options
- Rechargeable 12-volt battery
- Spring suspension system
- Doors with safety locks
- Meets child safety requirements
- May not be scratch-proof
- Remote connectivity may be a bit weak
"This realistic-looking car and its different features instantly charmed the young drivers in my house. Its assembly was pretty easy, and the two-seater design allowed both my children to ride together. While I wish the decals were of better quality, I am pretty happy with this purchase."
3. Best Disney-Themed: Power Wheels Disney Frozen Jeep Wrangler
This blue and purple two-seater jeep comes with cute Disney Frozen stickers and graphics. It has a maximum speed of 5mph, and the reverse speed of 2.5mph to give your child a sense of adventure. Suitable for kids aged 3-7 years. If you want to know more about this product, here’s a video worth watching.
- Unique and colorful design
- Comes with a built-in radio
- Easy to assemble
- Long-lasting battery
- May not be suitable for children too small
- Radio plays only two Frozen songs
"Thanks to the Frozen color theme, this jeep was an instant hit with my girls. The jeep is very sturdy and maintains its speed well regardless of the terrain it is used on. I wish it had seatbelts, but the lack of the feature has not affected the safety or fun quotient. Hence, I would recommend you go for it."
4. Best With Retractable Wheels: Tobbi Licensed Mercedes Benz Kids Car
This Mercedes Benz electric car by Tobbi features a built-in USB-enabled music system, a spacious seat, retractable handles and wheels, and a horn to provide a realistic driving experience for children. Children can drive this car with the help of the steering and pedals, while the parents can control it via the remote. The electric car with parental speed control is powered by two 35W batteries, allowing it to run for more than an hour when fully charged.
- Has bright LED lights
- Adjustable seat
- Can sustain weights up to 66lb
- Available in four eye-catching colors
- Might be difficult to assemble
- Might be smaller than expected
5. Best With Front Wheel Suspension: Kidzone Lamborghini Uris Ride On Car
The Kidzone Lamborghini-inspired 12V ride-on car is safe and stylish, made of non-toxic plastic material. With a three-point harness, shock-absorbing tires, and front-wheel suspension, your child can ride in comfort and safety.
- Adjustable speed
- Bright LED lights
- Built-in music system
- Features two driving modes
- Available in two colors
- Buttons on the music system might be small
- May take time to assemble
"My kids love 'driving' around in this bright-colored car. While I appreciate the car’s smooth riding mechanism and features like headlights, music, and the remote control, it took a while to get the radio and remote pairing to work correctly. But despite this minor glitch, the assembly is straightforward, and my kids have a blast while cruising in it."
6. Best Easy-To-Assemble: Costzon Ride On Car, Licensed BMW Mini Cooper Electric Car
If Mini Cooper has been your dream car, then you can finally buy it. Maybe not for yourself but your little kid. The battery-powered toy car comes with a 12v motor that is suitable for riding indoors as well as outdoors but on flat surfaces. The electric car for preschoolers also has two wing mirrors for your kids to check their reflection before setting out on a fun ride. Suitable for kids aged 3-6 years, this toy vehicle is one of the best electric cars for preschoolers.
- Easy to assemble
- Adjustable speed
- Available in three colors
- Comes with LED lights and MP3 input
- Operated with foot pedal and remote control
- Poor battery
- Makes jerky movements
7. Best Luxury Car: Best Choice Products 12V Kids Bentley EXP 12 Ride-On Car
A Bentley is the absolute definition of luxury. And this applies to this electric version for kids too. It is officially licensed and designed like a real Bentley. It comes with a leather seat, speed control, LED headlights, and all the basic features of a luxury car. Suitable for kids aged three years and above.
- Available in two colors
- Operated manually and with a remote control
- Suitable for indoors and outdoors
- Built-in AUX outlet enables connection to multiple media devices
- Manual controls can malfunction
- The seat belt may not fit every kid
"This car's user-friendly design and impressive battery life keep my children entertained for long hours. My kids are very impressed with its features, particularly the functional radio. The assembly was slightly time-consuming but pretty straightforward. Hence, it gets the nod of approval from me."
8. Best With Leather Seat: Americas Toys 4WD Electric Car
The BMW-inspired ride-on electric cars for kids by Americas Toys is made of durable materials and includes a leather seat, lockable doors, a three-point safety harness, and a 12-volt battery that allows for a safe and comfortable ride for hours. It is available in three colors and features an MP3 multimedia system that allows your child to play their favorite songs while riding.
- Detailed dashboard
- LED lights for a realistic appearance
- Features side mirrors
- Easy to assemble
- Ideal for gifting
- Remote control may disconnect frequently
"My kids find it easy to operate this car, and their favorite feature is the MP3 player, which allows them to blast their tunes while performing different stunts. The car's size was smaller than expected, but my toddler fit into it easily. So, overall, I consider it a good buy."
9. Best Safe: Moderno Kids Mercedes CLA45 Children Ride-On Car
With a shiny exterior and soft leather seat, it looks and feels like a luxury car. Your kid can even listen to music as its in-built MP3 music player plays from micro SD card, USB Flash Drive, and other compatible music devices, making it one of the most entertaining children’s electric ride-on. Its five-point safety seat belt ensures additional safety. The electric car for indoor and outdoor use is suitable for children aged one to five years.
- Easy to assemble
- Available in multiple colors
- Can be operated manually and with remote control
- Soft EVA foam rubber tires give good stability to the vehicle
- Poor battery power
- Dismal performance outdoor
How To Choose The Right Electric Car For Your Child?
Here are some important points to consider before choosing a car.
- Age: The car model might be designed keeping the child’s age group in mind. Pick a car that your child can comfortably fit in, with features or controls that they can easily handle.
- Safety: Children’s electric vehicles run at a very low speed, but it is still essential to exercise caution and follow all safety measures. This helps your child to learn about the importance of wearing a seat belt while driving.
[ Read : Babyhug Battery Operated Ride On Car With 2 Point Harness Review ]
- Price: Electric powered cars for kids, like regular cars, do not come cheap. But some brands sell good models with various features at reasonable prices. However, the product with advanced features may have a higher price. Depending on your budget and requirement, decide upon the car you can buy for your child.
- Motor voltage: An electric car’s smooth movement depends on its voltage. These car motors come in three voltages: 6v, 12v and 24v. So a car with 6v is more suitable to work indoor while a car with 24v will easily move on difficult outdoors.
- Battery: Check how long the battery of the electric car lasts after one recharge. Pick a vehicle with a long-lasting battery.
[ Read : Babyhug Fun N Learn Ride-On Review ]
- Remote control: If your children are still young to drive mini vehicles, then look for kids’ electric cars with remote control. In case your child gets stuck or goes too far away, you can bring them back with the click of a button on your remote.
- Model: Imagine how cute it would be if your child drove a Mercedes. While selecting a model for your child, ensure that it not only looks good but is also comfortable for your child to sit and operate. Kids are attracted to fancy cars so you can opt for a model that your child will love driving.
- Added features: To give your child a realistic driving experience, companies have models that come with music players, radios, horns, headlights, and other devices that you find in a real car. You can play your child’s favorite music as they drive around.
Heather Welch, a mom, play advocate, educator, and developer of educational toys, says, “Being able to drive their own car is pure joy for little children. Look for an electric car with good battery life and one that is easy to assemble and durable. And remember that children will bump into things; therefore, if you have an additional remote control, you can help them learn with the steering and ensure their safety.”
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the recommended age and weight capacity of electric cars for kids?
Most mini electric cars for kids are recommended for children between the ages of three and seven years. And depending on the brand and model, the maximum weight limit could vary from 70lb to 130lb.
2. How many seats do kids’ electric cars have?
Most electric cars for children have either one or two seats, depending on the model.
3. What is a kid’s electric car?
A kid’s electric car is a battery-powered miniature car or ride-on toy operated by an adult with the help of a remote control.
4. How safe are kids’ electric cars?
Most reputed kids’ electric cars are safe since the control is in the hands of the adults rather than the child. Moreover, they generally have two to three speed levels and come with seatbelts.
5. How fast do electric cars go?
Most kids’ electric cars have two to three adjustable speed ranges, with the maximum speed limit set between three to five kilometers per hour, depending on the model.
6. How long does it take to charge kids’ electric cars?
You may have to charge the car for about 12 hours the first time you bring it home and about six to eight hours subsequently.
7. How long do kids’ electric car batteries last?
In general, the battery of most kids’ ride-on cars lasts for two to four hours on a single charge. However, the duration may vary from one brand to another.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is a toy and game enthusiast who creates well-researched content for the readers. Her fondness for this field keeps her motivated to present highly researched list of games to help you choose the right one. She has curated this list of the best electric cars for toddlers based on customer reviews to ensure quality and an unbiased opinion. Her love for toys and games ensures detailed information you need regarding the products mentioned in the list.
If your child has been passionate about automobiles since a young age, you may consider buying one of the best electric cars. Driving toy cars can help build kids’ confidence and coordination skills. While evaluating your options, consider the car’s age, safety, price, and battery pick-up. Also, look for the design and color variants available in the market and the run time of the car. If the car moves slowly, is built of flimsy material, or the company offers little to no customer support, then you may ideally want to look for an alternative option. Our favorites include the ASTM-complaint Best Choice Products 12V Ride On Car Truck and the Power Wheels Disney Frozen Jeep Wrangler with built-in radio. Moreover, adult supervision is always recommended when your child operates an electric car as a safety measure.
Infographic: Buying Guide For A Electric Toy Car For Children
Children love playing with toy cars, and an electric toy car will multiply their joy and excitement. These cars also help children learn about cars and the fundamentals of driving through pretend play from a young age. Look through the infographic below for some features you should look for in these toy cars when buying for your child.