The best electric toothbrush for kids is an effective and friendly toothbrush that makes brushing feel like a fun task rather than a chore. It cleans the teeth and gums better than a manual toothbrush. It is impossible to overstate the importance of brushing your teeth twice a day. To make the activity a success, you will need the correct toothbrush in addition to good toothpaste. This post discusses why children require an electric toothbrush, how does it work, the limitations and factors you need to consider while buying an electric toothbrush for a child.
Our Top Picks
11 Best Electric Toothbrushes For Kids
1. Best For Habit Building: Yuantongshun Kids Electric Toothbrush
This electric toothbrush has enough fascinating features to make kids look forward to cleaning their teeth every day.
- The head of the electric toothbrush lights up each time you press the ON button. An LED at the base of the head emits multi-colored light, which is wonderfully scattered by the translucent plastic of the toothbrush head.
- The bristles are very soft for gentle cleaning of the teeth and gums. The motor vibrates to provide 12,000 strokes per minute.
- Several parents noted that the size of the head is perfect for a child’s little mouth. The LED light show makes a child attracted to the brush instantaneously.
- The small size of the toothbrush’s head can make it unsuitable for older children.
2. Best Brush With Pressure Sensor: Oral-B Kids Electric Toothbrush With Pressure Sensor and Timer
This is one of the best electric toothbrushes offering comprehensive oral care. Both children and parents will love the brush. This video demonstrates how the product works, making it easier to pick the right one for your needs.
- The toothbrush comes with a two-minute timer to make your child brush for the recommended amount of time.
- The brush contains a pressure sensor to detect if the child is applying too much pressure. A red stripe on the handle lights up to indicate this.
- You can replace the head with other Oral-B electric toothbrush heads, even those not specifically made for this Oral-B electric toothbrush for kids.
- The brush is accepted by the American Dental Association and comes with a two-year warranty from Oral-B.
- Buyers were not happy with the battery life of the brush. Some users reported the battery failing within a few months of use.
- Some buyers felt that the sound of the motor is a bit on the louder side.
3. Best Easy-To-Use: Philips Sonicare Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
It is an easy-to-use electric toothbrush that comes with features to make brushing time exciting for the child. You can watch this video to understand how the product works before buying.
- The powerful motor can attain 500 strokes per second, which is 30,000 strokes per minute. It ensures maximum cleaning of the teeth.
- The timer lets parents set the motor movement for a full two minutes.
- The toothbrush is Bluetooth-enabled and can connect to a smartphone or a tablet. Parents can then download an app, which connects to the brush to provide an interactive experience for both the parents and the child.
- The brush’s box contains ten handle stickers for the child to customize the brush according to their liking.
- Water tends to get trapped at the base of the brush head, which causes the formation of mold over time. You will have to clean the brush at least once a week.
- A few parents noticed that their unit did not last for more than a year.
4. Best For Holistic Care: Brusheez Kid’s Electric Toothbrush Set
This is a complete oral care kit for a child, thus making it an excellent gift for your little one. This video will help you understnd whether this is the right toothbrush for your needs.
- The set contains the electric toothbrush with headcover, an extra head, a rinse cup, and an adorable two-minute sand timer that your child can use each time they brush their teeth.
- You get a stand with individual slots to store the items all at one place.
- You can choose the brush in six color options. Each color option changes the color of all items within the set. The animal-shaped cover also changes with each color.
- There is an extra toothbrush head right out of the box. There is also a brushing chart for the child to keep track of their brushing.
- Some parents noted that the toothbrush’s head tends to pop out into the child’s mouth if not secured correctly. You will have to double-check that every day before the child starts using the brush.
5. Best For Plaque Removal: Oral-B Pro-Health Jr. Battery Powered Kid’s Toothbrush
- There are two sets of bristles on top of the toothbrush head. One set of bristles is circular and rotates while the other set vibrates. The combination of the two bristles allows for maximum cleaning action.
- The battery-powered toothbrush works with standard AA-sized batteries.
- A two-button control layout makes it easy for a young child to understand how the toothbrush works. The brush is simple to use even for preschoolers who are starting to learn to brush their teeth.
- The design on the brush may not be exactly as described by the manufacturer.
6. Best Rechargeable: Oral-B Kids Electric Rechargeable Power Toothbrush
The toothbrush offers several useful features, all packed into a rechargeable unit.
- Oral-B ships the toothbrush with an extra brush head.
- The brush comes with a two-minute timer to ensure that the child brushes for the right amount of time.
- Recharging the brush is easy since all you have to do is place it on the charging station, which comes with the toothbrush.
- Oral-B has tied up with Disney to illustrate the characters of the film Frozen on top of the brush. However, many buyers received the toothbrush with a plain white head and with no drawings of the characters.
- Water seeps between the head and the toothbrush stalk. It causes the formation of mold.
7. Best For Sensitive Teeth: Oral-B Pro-Health Sparkle Fun Kids Toothbrush
It makes an ideal toothbrush for children who have sensitive teeth.
- The brush head comes with soft bristles that are gentle on the teeth as well as the gums.
- It is compatible with all Oral-B toothbrush replacement heads, including the ones that come with an oval head and are not originally made to replace the head on this brush.
- It works with standard AA-sized batteries. It saves you the hassle of recharging the battery.
- Many buyers said that the toothbrush cleans very well without having to press hard on the teeth.
- The bottom cap of the battery compartment shuts tight to prevent water from entering. However, it can be hard to remove when you want to replace the batteries.
8. Best For Brushing Guidance: Colgate Kids Interactive Talking Toothbrush
This electric toothbrush for kids is packed with fun tones and more to make brushing teeth an entertaining activity for the child.
- There are voice commands that guide the child through brushing their teeth. The voice even tells the child where to stop and when to turn the brush to the left, right, and so on.
- The head has an oscillating action, which along with the soft bristles, cleans the teeth gently.
- There are funny sound effects that play each time the child gets brushing right.
- The head does not come out of the body and is not replaceable. It means the brush is rendered useless if the bristles wear out even if the rest of the brush works fine.
- A few parents felt that the brush could have been a bit more durable.
9. Best Battery Life: Aiyabrush Kids Electric Toothbrush
This toothbrush works great for parents who travel a lot with their kids and are looking for an electric toothbrush with long battery life.
- The electric toothbrush comes with an in-built rechargeable battery that can provide 100 days of use on a full charge. The battery takes six hours to charge, which means you can leave it to charge overnight.
- The low-noise motor can perform 21,000 gentle strokes per minute for the cleaning the teeth thoroughly.
- You get two heads with the toothbrush – one on the brush and another replacement head.
- Some parents did not find the motor and battery durable since the brush stopped working within a year of purchase.
10. Best Mess-Free: Colgate Kids Battery Powered Toothbrush
This electric toothbrush for children is designed for ease of use.
- The brush can lay flat for application of toothpaste. It is a convenient feature to prevent any mess while the child applies toothpaste.
- The spinning head is compact and contains two rows of soft bristles for maximum cleaning.
- The two-button layout to start the motor is simple and easy to understand even for young children.
- Some buyers did not find the toothbrush to be durable since their unit stopped working within a few months.
11. Best For Infants And Toddlers: Nuby Electric Toothbrush with Animal Character
This electric toothbrush is designed for toddlers and young children who still rely on mom and dad for brushing their teeth.
- The toothbrush comes in three bright color options and a toothbrush cover with the head of an animal.
- The cover protects the entire top half of the toothbrush, including the buttons from dust and water.
- It comes with two bristle heads: one meant for infants, and another for toddlers and older children.
- The brush plays music when switched on.
- The quality of the brush was a little disappointing to some buyers. The brush stopped working within a few months of use.
How An Electric Toothbrush Can Help
Why choose an electric toothbrush when there are attractive manual toothbrushes for kids? The uses of an electric toothbrush are practical, while there may not be much difference between the electric and manual toothbrushes in their effectiveness.
- Time the brushing session: Several electric toothbrushes come with a timer that keeps the motor running for two minutes – the duration one must brush teeth as recommended by dentists (1). Timing the activity can be difficult with a manual brush, as a child might find a way out of the two-minute rule.
- Makes brushing teeth fun: A lot of electric toothbrushes come with Bluetooth connectivity and options to connect the brush to a smartphone or a tablet. Parents can then download a proprietary app that lets them keep a track the number of times the child has brushed the teeth and for how long they cleaned them.
- Convenient for children with braces: An electric toothbrush may be a suitable choice for children with dental braces. The vibrating or rotating circular head of the brush reaches every nook and corner of the braces with minimal effort. It is likely to make brushing teeth convenient.
Drawbacks Of An Electric Toothbrush
Electric toothbrushes are not suitable for children below three years of age. The other drawbacks could be:
Expensive: Electric toothbrushes are more expensive than their non-electric counterparts. The addition of a motor and its corresponding wiring within a toothbrush tends to bump up the cost significantly.
Effectiveness: A Cochrane study has found that electric toothbrushes are more effective than manual ones in the removal of plaque and avoiding gingivitis (2). However, experts such as the American Dental Association say that both types of toothbrushes are effective in the removal of plaque (3).
If you want to buy an electric toothbrush for your child to make brushing teeth more convenient and fun for them, then read on as we list some of the best electric toothbrushes for kids.
How To Choose The Right Electric Toothbrush For Kids?
Keep the following points in mind when shopping for an electric toothbrush for a child:
- Size and shape of the toothbrush head: Some toothbrushes have a circular head, others have an oval head, and some others may have a unique shape. Pick the right toothbrush head for your child, depending on their age and the number of teeth. The small circular toothbrush heads are ideal for young children who have small mouths and a lot of temporary teeth missing. Oval bristle heads may work great for adolescents and teens.
- Type of bristles: If the child has sensitive gums, then an electric toothbrush with soft bristles could be an ideal choice. Thicker bristles can be more suitable for teens. Check for the bristle type so that the child can brush their teeth without any risk of injury.
- Availability of a replacement head: The top of an electric toothbrush contains the brushing head, and the base comprises the motor and battery compartment. The bristles wear out over time, just like a standard toothbrush’s bristles do. An electric toothbrush for kids should preferably have a provision to replace worn-out toothbrush heads with new ones.
- Battery life: The electric toothbrush will either have an in-built rechargeable battery or work with the standard AA-sized batteries. Pick the brush that can go longer between charges or replacement of batteries.
- Accessories and extra features: Look for toothbrushes that come with extra heads. If you want the electric toothbrush to work as a motivator for your child to brush, then pick products that come with smartphone/ tablet connectivity. You can then use an app to track and encourage the child to brush.
All electric toothbrushes for kids are waterproof and can be cleaned under a running tap. Therefore, you need not worry about the child ruining the motor of the brush.
As we understand, electric toothbrushes offer better cleaning than manual ones. Electric toothbrushes can make brushing the teeth a fun experience for your little one as they come in colorful and funky designs. They are also suitable for children with dental braces. While they are expensive and require frequent replacement, you may consider buying these toothbrushes if your child is a little fussy or does not enjoy using a regular brush.
Why Trust MomJunction?
We have carefully researched various websites and baby health forums and scoured consumer reviews to create this list of the best electric toothbrushes for your child. These toothbrushes are easy to use, durable, long-lasting, and available in unique designs. Besides including detailed descriptions and pros and cons, the article also has a buying guide section that will help you select the right toothbrush for your kid.
Do you use an electric toothbrush for your child? Let us know about your experience in the comments section below.
2. Powered/electric toothbrushes compared to manual toothbrushes for maintaining oral health; Cochrane
3. Toothbrushes; American Dental Association
- Best Hair Brushes For Toddlers
- Best Baby Grooming Kits
- Best Microphones For Streaming
- Best Apple Peelers