Imagine having to carry bags of groceries from the supermarket to the parking lot in frigid cold weather with no hand gloves on. A discomforting thought, right? By the time you reach your car, your hands might become as frozen as the turkey in your shopping bag.
A pair of hand gloves protects the hands from extreme cold and keeps them warm, so you can comfortably brave the cold winds. It is made of flexible material that allows you to hold and carry things easily. Hand gloves have become so important that brands offer gloves in various designs and great features. Let’s have a look at some of the best extreme cold weather gloves of 2021.
11 Best Extreme Cold Weather Gloves Of 2021
Made of thermal polar fleece, this pair of gloves comes with the patented Heatlok warm system that offers warmth without restricting the movements of your hand. These gloves are designed to keep you warm even when the temperature plummets to -20° F. The palm is covered with deerskin suede, so your palm feels soft. Also, it is highly durable, so you can easily work with it. It is suitable for both men and women.
- Flexible fingers for easy movement
- Available in different sizes to ensure a snug fit
- Available in three different colors
- Not water-resistant
- Deerskin suede tends to peel easily
In extreme cold weather conditions, waterproof gloves like this pair of ski gloves can keep your hands protected. Insulated with 40g and 3m Thinsulate, this pair of gloves can shield your hands from snow and cold winds. Its three-layered softshell keeps your hands warm, so you can enjoy your favorite winter games without any worry. It also comes with a zipper pocket to keep your ID card, keys, and extra cash.
- Windproof and waterproof shell
- PU palm and reinforced rubber fingers allow flexible hand grip
- Soft nuback palm is durable
- Thumb finger comes with a nose wipe
- Knitted polyester lining to keep the hands dry
- Adjustable wrist buckle ensures a snug fit
- Interior material tends to retain moisture
- Finding the right size online can be challenging
You may have to use your phone but may hate removing your gloves in the chilly weather. A pair of gloves that enables you to operate your phone without removing it could be your best leather gloves for winter, right? Here is one such pair of hand gloves that comes with smarTouch technology, which allows you to operate your touchscreen device using the thumb and index finger, even with your gloves on. Its fleece lining ensures that your hands are warm and dry.
- Easily washable in a machine
- Spandex material allows custom fit and flexibility
- SmartDRI technology offers protection from rain and snow
- Genuine leather makes for non-slip, firm grip palm
- Available in a variety of colors
- Finger length seems long
- Not the best thin gloves for extreme cold weather (-20°C)
Designed for use in extreme cold weather, this pair of ski gloves comes with a nylon outer shell that protects your hands from the elements. The reinforced synthetic leather palm allows you to have a good grip on ski poles or a shovel. The inner lining is made of TPU breathable membrane that keeps your hands warm and dry. Its adjustable wrist strap further protects the hands from cold wind.
- Wrist closure cinch and wrist leashes keep gloves snugly on the hand
- Thumb comes with nose wipe material
- Most suitable for minimum temperatures
- Brand offers a one-year warranty
- May not be ideal for large hands
Have a look at this pair of men’s extreme cold weather gloves. Made of polyester, this pair of work gloves comes with moisture-wicking lining that keeps the hands warm and dry, so you can work comfortably outdoors and in low temperatures. This pair of high-dexterity gloves offers grip like that of bare hands. Its synthetic leather material is durable enough to be used even for working in a garden.
- C-grip gives better durability in wet conditions
- Nitrile grip ensures good grip even when working on oily surfaces
- Comes with a nose wipe
- Available in two color combinations
- Online size chart may not be accurate
- May not be fully resistant to water
Suited for both men and women, this pair of winter gloves is made of double fleece liner and three insulation fabrics that give you maximum protection from freezing temperatures. Its elastic wrist is double-shirred with a zipper so that it leaves absolutely no chance for cold wind to get to your bare hands. The tips of its thumb and index finger are coated with touch conductive material, allowing you to use devices effortlessly.
- Comes with anti-lost buckle design
- Water-resistant TPU material keeps hands warm and dry
- Anti-slip silicone offers firm grip
- 3D tailoring makes gloves stretchable and flexible
- Water-resistant and sweat-absorbent
- Seams and fingertips are not waterproof
- Cannot withstand cold weather for long periods
This pair of gloves comes lined with an Acrylic Terry liner that keeps the hands warm and protected. It is sanitized with Actifresh to eliminate odors and bacteria. Its HPT-coated palm and fingertips are soft to touch and flexible to use, and the nylon exterior keeps water and coldness at bay.
- Protects hands in temperature as low as -58° F
- Provides good dexterity and sense of touch
- Comes with knuckle coating for additional protection
- Available in classic black and various sizes
- May seem ineffective against harsh winds
Do not let cold weather dampen your cycling spirit. This pair of gloves comes with gel padding that provides an excellent grip for cycling or other winter sport. Its hook-and-loop fastener keeps the gloves firmly in place and protects the hands from cold winds. The silicone-lined finger and thumb offer good lever grip and allow you to operate touch screen devices.
- Non-slip gel pad on palm absorbs shock to prevent palm pain
- Long wrist cuff protects hands from cold winds
- Soft fleece inner layer keeps hands warm and dry
- Available in two color combinations
- Inner liner is not connected to the fingertips
- Does not come with reflective patches
Looking for the best running gloves for extreme cold weather? Have a look at this pair of gloves. Made of soft PU leather, this pair of gloves is resistant to water and wind so your hands are always protected. Its USP is the touch screen compatibility feature—it is covered with touch-conductive leather, so you can use your gadgets without removing your gloves. The palms are equipped with anti-slip material so you can cycle or use the shovel comfortably.
- Coral fleece keeps the hands warm
- Dense silicone particles ensure a firm grip
- Wrist cuffs enable a snug fit
- Belt buckle keeps the gloves firmly in place
- Stretchable fabric for easy hand and finger movements
- May not block wind on the palm
- A little bulky
If you like matching your outfits with your kids’, then you might want to match your ski gloves with theirs too. This pair of ski gloves comes in small and adult sizes. Its liner is made of smooth fleece that keeps the hands warm in extremely cold environments. Its palm and fingers are covered with anti-slip fabric to provide superior grip and increase wear resistance. Its thumb is covered with nose wipe material, so you can wipe your sweat without taking off your gloves
- Double-thick knitted cuff protects hands from cold wind
- Cuffs and wrist loops are adjustable with clip fasteners
- High-density water-resistant outer shell
- Available in attractive bright colors
- Outer shell may not be durable
- Fingers are a tad short
Here is a pair of gloves designed for kids. This pair of 3M Thinsulate snow gloves comes with a waterproof inner liner to protect the hands from snow and wind. Its moisture-wicking inner lining keeps the hands warm yet dry. It comes with a stretchable nylon outer shell that allows for natural movement of hands, and the leather palm ensures a firm grip.
- Fleece insulation offers warmth and comfort
- Safe to wash in a machine
- Reasonably priced
- Available in different color combinations
- May lack durability
- Finding the most accurate size can be difficult
How To Choose The Right Extreme Cold Weather Gloves?
Brands offer winter gloves with different great features to suit consumer preference. Below are some basic features that any pair of gloves meant for extremely cold temperatures must preferably have.
- Material: Hand gloves are made of different materials. Depending upon the weather and your needs, you can decide what material best suits you. If you plan to wear the gloves at a place where it snows, then look for a pair made of waterproof and windproof material. If you need it to fight regular cold winters, then fleece gloves can do a good job.
- Insulation: Once you have decided upon the kind of material you want, check for the type of insulation the gloves offer. The inner lining is what will keep your hands warm and dry. Also, ensure you opt for a moisture-wicking lining, so your hands do not sweat when the gloves are on.
In extremely cold weather, it is essential you wear gloves with insulation and liners, so that your hands are fully protected.
- Closure: Winter gloves come with different types of closures. If you need the gloves for a regular cold winter, look for gloves with a hook-and-loop closure or an elastic wrist. These are simple closures that not only protect your hands but are also easy to remove. When visiting an extremely cold place, opt for a pair of gloves that comes with buckles or a hook-and-loop strap. These closures keep the gloves firmly closed and prevent the hands from getting cold.
Winter hand gloves should offer these basic features. Apart from these, here are two more important features that you may want to have in your pair of winter gloves.
- Touch screen compatibility: Nowadays, we are inseparable from our digital devices, which means that even if we are in the middle of an icy cold tundra region, we may want to access the phone to make an emergency call, or to access social media! There are gloves that come with conductive material on the fingertips that allow you to operate touch screens without removing your gloves. This way, you can stay connected even in the harshest of weather conditions.
Dexterity: This is especially required when you are out playing winter sports. Your gloves must offer a good grip and flexibility to allow you to hold equipment and tools easily, without having to take off your gloves.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are leather gloves good for winter?
Winter is the ideal time to wear leather gloves, as they can protect the hands from cold winds. However, a good pair should come with an inner lining, preferably made of wool, as it can provide good insulation to keep your hands warm and dry.
2. What material is the warmest for gloves?
When it comes to the outer shell, deerskin, pigskin, and polar fleece are known to provide maximum resistance to cold weather. As far as the inner insulation is concerned, Thinsulate, fleece, and cotton provide warmth to the hands, even in the most extreme weather conditions.
3. Is wool warm enough for winter?
Yes, wool is a reliable insulator and has been used as winter clothing for a really long time.
4. Is Thinsulate really warm?
Yes, Th insulate is made of extremely fine microfibers that trap air molecules within them and within a small space. It helps keep out the cold outside air.
We often buy cheap gloves and tend to shove our hands in our coat pockets when it gets too chilly. But instead, investing money in a good pair of durable gloves will offer a lot of benefits that you can think of. The list above contains some of the best thermal gloves that offer value for money.