The best face masks for open pores are a savior when your skin is clogged and dirt builds up on the skin surface. If you have oily and acne-prone skin, you can have clogged pores. Failing to address them may lead to breakouts, blackheads, and even skin irritation that may destroy the skin barrier in the long run.
If you wish to take care of your pores and make your skin soft, smooth, and glowy, using face masks that target open pores is your best option. Here is a list of some great face masks we have found in the market so you can get rid of open pores.
Our Top Picks
12 Best Face Masks For Open Pores
1. Best For Daily Use: Dead Sea Mud Mask
The mineral-infused mud mask is formulated using a herbal blend of vitamin E, jojoba oil, sunflower seed, calendula oil, and aloe vera. It not only opens clogged pores but also purifies them to give you soft and fresh skin. This cruelty-free mud mask is free of parabens, sulfates, and alcohol. It is suitable for oily, normal, dry, and combination skin. You may check out this video for a better understanding of this product.
- Stimulates blood circulation
- Cleanses skin to provide a soothing sensation
- Aids in skin renewal and exfoliates skin gently
- Gentle enough for everyday use
- May not be suitable for sensitive skin
- Some may not like the smell
2. Best For Acne: Piero Lorenzo Suction Black Mask
This is a 100% natural formula made with green tea, hyaluronic acid, bamboo charcoal, and chamomilla. It is one of the best masks for pores as it removes whiteheads and blackheads, cleanses the face, and reduces acne. The face pack also contains nutrients, vitamins, and activated charcoal, which reduce blemishes and give you radiant and well-toned skin. Whether you have oily skin or sensitive skin, you may use this mask and find a positive difference.
- Strong absorption and deep cleaning properties to target stubborn stains
- Suitable for those who sit in front of the computer every day
- Helps keep the skin free of toxins
- Suitable for treating acne-prone skin
- May give an unpleasant tingling sensation while drying
- May take time to dry
3. Best Moisturizing: Vassoul Suction Black Mask
It is a unisex facial mask formulated to remove blackheads, blemishes, acne, and stubborn stains. It clears the pores, improves blood circulation, and moisturizes to give you healthy skin. The mask comes in a tube, and it can be applied conveniently on the face. This purifying peel-off face mask is suitable for all skin types.
- Contains vitamins and plant extracts to soften skin
- Adds vitality to dull and uneven skin to make it look firmer
- Regulates secretion of oil and shrinks pores to give a clear and bright skin
- Long shelf life of three years
- May have a peculiar smell
- Tube may be smaller than you expect
4. Best Additive-Free: Pop Modern.C Black Mask Natural Charcoal
Remove blackheads and shrink pores with this natural charcoal mask. It is infused with witch hazel, bamboo charcoal, and aloe vera. Besides removing blackheads, this mask works effectively for acne, whiteheads, pores, and excessive sebum. Witch hazel helps balance sebum production and shrinks pores, aloe vera soothes your skin and keeps it hydrated, and bamboo charcoal unclogs the pores and keeps the skin clean.
- Set includes a silicone brush and four extractor tools
- Treats skin exposed to long-term computer use
- Exfoliates and deep-cleanses skin
- Free of additives
- May not suit sensitive skin
- May be slightly sticky
5. Best Hydrating: Green Tea Matcha Mud Mask
It is one of the best face masks for clogged pores as it is made with a unique formula containing green tea extracts, antioxidants, hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, and volcanic mud. It refines pores, oxygenates the skin, heals sun damage, reduces aging signs, and improves cellular function too. The mask gives you a spa-like treatment by hydrating and soothing your skin. This review video will help you learn more about the product.
- Green tea matcha helps reduce acne
- Powerful minerals in the mask help detox skin
- Volcanic mud vitamins and minerals work on all skin types
- Vitamin K in the mask helps with dark circles under the eyes
- May not suit sensitive skin
- Fragrance may be intense for some
6. Best With Activated Charcoal: Vanelc Blackhead Removal Mask
It provides a cooling effect and goes deep into the skin pores to remove blackheads and dirt. The mask contains activated charcoal and natural ingredients to balance oil, soften and firm skin, and keep the skin clean and fresh.
- Enriched with bamboo charcoal, plant extracts, glycerin, and vitamin E
- Easy to peel off
- Purifies and deep cleanses pores to retain skin’s original beauty
- Shrinks pores after every use to give a clearer complexion
- Not suitable for sensitive skin
- May not help in removing blackheads
7. Best Easy To Use: Auperwel Blackhead Mask
It is a naturally formulated facial mask that contains activated bamboo charcoal, aloe vera, and hamamelis virginiana to remove acne, whiteheads, and blackheads from your skin and make it tender and smooth.
- Improves skin vitality by removing blackheads
- Comes in user-friendly tube
- Clears deep pores and absorbs facial oil
- Comes with tweezers to remove stubborn blackheads on nose
- May not be easy to peel off
- May not suit sensitive skin
8. Best Vegan: Lavlavluv The Before Bedtime Face Mask
This bedtime face mask works tirelessly to minimize pores while detoxifying and tightening the skin. It is enriched with nourishing ingredients such as New Zealand lavender and Moroccan lava clay to reduce aging signs and draw out all impurities. The formula also contains witch hazel, aloe vera, licorice, and seaweed for hydration, pore-tightening, and skin brightening. Moreover, this mask is cruelty-free and vegan and comes with an applicator brush for effortless use while being safe for all skin types.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties
- Comes with an instruction guide for hassle-free use
- Extracts facial toxins and soothes dry skin
- Linalool and linalyl acetate compounds offer therapeutic benefits
- Free of parabens, sulfates, and phthalates
- May experience a burning sensation while applying it
- Some may find the smell of the mask intense
9. Best Moisturizing: Glee bee Suction Black Mask
Whether you have whiteheads, blackheads, oil spots, strawberry nose, or pore acne, this black mask can help you manage them all. The face mask shrinks pores and offers other benefits too, including moisturizing your skin, improving blood circulation, and making your skin healthy and smooth.
- Enriched with bamboo charcoal
- Adds vitality to dull skin and reduces radiation effects
- Comes with basic instructions
- Helps remove facial hair on the skin
- May not be suitable for wounded skin
- May not be easy to peel off
10. Best Mess-Free: Dermal Korea charcoal mask
It is a deep purifying face mask that helps shrink pores and soothe skin. One pack contains ten pieces of face charcoal masks that you can use to keep your skin feeling cool and fresh.
- Enriched with charcoal, tea tree, and green tea extracts
- Charcoal extract helps purify skin
- Prevents acne and regulates oil secretion
- Easy to apply and mess-free
- May not cover the nose completely
What Causes Clogged Pores?
Here are some of the common reasons that cause clogged pores.
- Over-cleansing: Overdoing anything is not a good idea. Whether you are washing or exfoliating your face too often or using plenty of cosmetics or makeup, your natural oil will get washed away, thereby causing more production of oil. Excess oil on the skin can clog your skin pores.
- Dead skin: Human skin sheds old and dead skin cells and creates new ones. But due to more production of oil, the dead cells may accumulate on the surface of the skin. If the face is not exfoliated, then those cells may clog your pores.
- Oily skin: When the sebaceous glands (that secrete natural oils) become overactive, they tend to produce more oil. When the oil is not controlled, it may build up and clog the skin pores.
- Others: Hormones, smoking, stress, diet, sun damage, aging, and not cleaning your face regularly are some other reasons that may lead to clogging of your skin pores.
How To Use A Face Mask?
Follow a step-by-step approach to get the best results of using a face mask.
- Cleanse your face using a good-quality cleanser, spend some additional time around the T-zone of your face. Then rinse it with warm water.
- Use a toner to exfoliate impurities and dead skin cells. Apply it with a cotton pad, by sweeping from the center in an outward direction.
- Apply the face mask to remove the dirt, excess oil, and other toxins from your face. You may use a brush or fingertips and gently spread the mask all over your face, leaving the eyes and mouth area. Keep it for about 20 minutes and then wash it off with water.
- Moisturize your face using a high-quality cream. Do not skip this step as it helps to hydrate your face. Use your fingertips and gently apply the cream all over your face.
How To Choose The Right Face Mask For Clogged Pores?
Facial masks are available for several reasons. Here is how you should check if the mask is for unclogging pores.
- Ingredients: Specific ingredients help to unclog pores and give you healthy skin. For instance, clay and charcoal are absorbents, and they draw out dirt and oil from your skin. Salicylic acid unclogs pores, exfoliates, and reduces acne signs and retinol helps to shrink pores. Check if the mask has these ingredients. Some other substances to look for include zinc and alpha hydroxy acid.
- Mask types: There are sheet masks, bubble masks, brightening, and sleep masks available in the market. To unclog pores, you may use charcoal and clay masks and peel-off masks as they also remove toxins and impurities and give a fresh finish to your face.
- Skin type: You need to pick masks as per your skin type as well. If you have sensitive skin, then peel-off masks or chemical-induced masks could be harmful for your skin. If you have dry skin, then look for masks that can not only open pores but also hydrate your skin. So, choose a face mask that suits your skin type.
- Irritating agents: Do not select masks that include certain irritating agents such as mint, menthol, alcohol, fragrances, camphor, and eucalyptus. These may cause redness or itch your skin.
If you have clogged pores which causes frequent breakouts, dirt buildup, and other skin troubles, you need a face mask for open pores. These face masks are thoughtfully designed and enriched with safe ingredients that unclog pores by cleaning them of gunk, oil, and acne-causing bacteria. However, ensure to choose a face mask free of harsh chemicals such as parabens and silicones, suitable for your skin type, and with natural ingredients to prevent irritation and to get smooth, healthy skin.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag is a skin care enthusiast who has conducted comprehensive research to make this list of the best face masks for open pores. She has the know-how about skincare products that deal with issues caused by clogged pores, such as blackheads, pimples, and acne. In this article, she has reviewed each product in detail to ensure the readers know the features of the top products in the market.