If you are not happy with the mattress you are currently using, or it seems worn out, you might be looking for a replacement. This is when you can choose the best feather mattress toppers to change the way you sleep forever. Since the toppers are filled with feathers, they are soft and made of top quality. Popularly known as featherbed mattresses, the feathers are mostly sourced from the underside plumage of a duck or goose and are also made of pure cotton. They are frequently used for enhanced support and comfort, making them one of the most cost-effective options and reducing the need for buying a new mattress. The below post gives you a list of some high-quality toppers you can consider buying. Read on to know more.
Types Of Feather Mattress Toppers
Before you go through the list, let’s take a look at the most common types of feather mattress toppers available.
- Baffle Box Featherbed: A mattress topper constructed with a baffle box construction has a box-shaped stitch pattern with each box comprising a 3D chamber and vertically stitched interior walls. Each box is filled with feathers and down. The chambers keep the feathers in place, while also maintaining its fluffiness. This design provides excellent support for hips and shoulders and helps keep the body warm on cold nights.
- Baffle Channel Featherbed: This type of construction is similar to a baffle box design but features channel-like stitching patterns created either horizontally or vertically. This topper conforms to your body when you lay down on it and allows you to change the placement of the filling depending on whichever side you need it the most. Moreover, a horizontal channel offers additional support to the lower back.
- Non-Baffled Featherbed: Non-baffled featherbed toppers do not have any compartments, making the feathers prone to gathering and clumping. This topper will need to be re-fluffed quite often.
Our Top Picks
11 Best Feather Toppers For Mattress
Make your bedroom feel like a luxury hotel with this super soft featherbed topper by MGM GRAND at home. It is filled with a 50-50 blend of 100% white feathers and goose down alternative puffball fiber that heightens the comfort level for you to have the best slumber every night. Besides, this 5-inch topper also provides extra support to relieve pressure points in your body and offers warmth during winters. With a 100% cotton cover featuring a feather-proof lining, you can rest assured that the feather will be secured inside and won’t poke through.
- Queen size
- 5-inch gusset
- Spot cleaning recommended
- Baffle box construction prevents the filling from shifting
- Double-stitched seams
- Anchor bands hold the mattress topper in place
- Might compress after a while
Is your recently purchased mattress too firm to sleep on? Then give a feather mattress topper a try! The filling of this topper features a top layer comprising 75% natural white goose down and bottom layer made with white goose feathers. All you have to do is place this queen-size topper on your existing mattress to experience comfort like never before. It is recommended that once you open the package, you should leave it out in the sun for a few days for it to return to its natural thickness.
- 100% cotton cover
- Baffle box construction
- Double-needle stitching
- Comes packed in a PVC bag
- Lightweight and odorless
- Soft, gentle, and silent
- The filling does not shift
- Provides excellent support
- You may be able to feel the ends of the feathers through the top layer.
The combination of small white goose feathers and white down makes this soft and firm twin-size mattress one of the best featherbeds on our list. Featuring a 100% white cotton shell with a thread count of 255, the outer covering is sturdy and durable enough to prevent feather/down from poking out.
- Pillow-top design
- 550+ fill power down
- Elastic straps secure topper to the mattress
- Breathable fabric
- Provides resilient support
- Might take a lot of time to puff up the first time
Do you always wake up with sore hips and shoulders, and no matter what you do to fix it, nothing seems to work? What you need is extra cushioning and support that only the best of the best mattress toppers can provide. This luxurious and super comfy featherbed features Resilia feathers, which will cushion your body and provide pressure point relief. The baffle box construction on the inside and the 100% cotton Barrier Weave help to keep the feathers in place.
- 230 thread count
- Hyperclean feathers
- Double-needle sewing ensures durability
- Outstanding loft
- Allergy-free warranty
- Ecologically-friendly bedding
- 30-night comfort guarantee
- May need to be fluffed often
Sleeping on uneven or hard bedding could turn out to be a nightmare and mess up your sleep. So if you are on the hunt for something comfortable but affordable, opt for a feather topper. Filled with 100% duck feathers encased in a 100% cotton cover, this mattress topper is amazingly soft and will keep you warm and comfy in every season.
- 233 thread count
- King size mattress topper
- Features 95% duck feathers and 5% down feathers
- Baffle box design keeps the filling evenly distributed
- Tends to slide over the mattress since it does not come with a strap or anchor.
Gift yourself a plush, lofty featherbed topper, and enjoy exceptional comfort while you have a good night’s sleep. This comfortable mattress topper is filled with 95% white goose feathers and 5% white goose down that ensures utmost softness, while the 100% cotton cover featuring a thread count of 240 prevents feathers from sticking out. It is perfect for side sleepers as it helps relieve pressure points and provides gentle cushioning to shoulders and hips.
- Twin-size mattress topper
- 2-inch gusseted sides
- Baffle box design with a 10-inch box stitch
- Offers firmness
- Keeps you warm during winter
- The cover is sewn throughout
- It might have to be fluffed every day as the feathers may get displaced.
Wake up every morning feeling well-rested and rejuvenated with this 5-star hotel-inspired featherbed topper. With a 5-inch thickness, this topper is suitable for side and back sleepers, thanks to the super-luxe loft that provides maximum comfort and support to your body. This queen-size feather mattress topper comprises a filling of 100% goose feathers with a total fill weight of 21.6 lbs.
- Has a fill power of 550
- A thread count of 233
- Cotton outer shell
- 95% goose feathers and 5% goose down
- The baffle design prevents shifting of feathers
- Features a 5-inch gusset for even support
- The feathers may shift and poke through sometimes.
Designed to fit king-sized beds, this high-quality featherbed topper has a baffle box construction that is further reinforced with a 2-inch gusset for maximum support. The outer shell has a thread count of 233 that ensures added stability and comfort.
- Filled with waterfowl feathers
- Recommended to be dry cleaned only
- Made of 100% cotton cover
- Feathers stay intact
- Might make a crinkly sound when moving around on it
Add a featherbed mattress topper on your firm bed for that extra layer of comfort so that you have a restful night’s sleep. This ultra-soft mattress topper features a dual-layer construction that comprises a strong feather layer at the bottom and fluffy down layer on top. Sitting at 2 inches thick, this mattress offers a lot of cushioning. It is uniquely designed with a turtle-top quilted layer that is
generously filled with down and a baffle box construction at the bottom.
- Twin XL mattress topper
- 100% cotton cover with 300 thread count
- 550 fill power down
- Hypoallergenic cover
- Allergen-free down
- Machine-washable with mild detergent
- Responsible Down Standard certified
- May not be thick enough to support back and side sleepers
If you are a stomach sleeper who doesn’t quite require too much support, this featherbed is your best option. At 2 inches thick, it provides the right amount of thickness, softness, and comfort you need. This mattress topper uses a FreshLoft process that guarantees that the feather or down used as a filling is clean and free of dust and allergens.
- King size
- 233 thread count
- 550 fill power down
- Baffle box construction ensures the fill is equally distributed
- Super soft
- Hypoallergenic feathers
- 100% breathable cotton cover
- May not come with straps
Do you wake up in the middle of the night, sweaty, tired, and unable to sleep? Then what you need is a featherbed topper such as this one that will keep your body cool if you sleep hot and provides cloud-like softness so that you sleep comfortably for longer. This 2-inch topper is filled with generous layers of breathable and hypoallergenic white goose down and feathers for exceptional softness. It features a baffle box design that keeps the feathers in place. From pregnant women to people suffering from back problems, anyone can use this topper.
- 113 oz fill weight
- Twin/Twin XL size fits any mattress upto 16 inches
- Anchor bands offer a secure fit
- 100% cotton cover with 233 thread count
- Double-needle stitched edges
- 100% breathable cotton cover
- Feathers don’t stick out
- Might be heavy
Here are a few important points to consider when buying a feather mattress topper.
How To Choose The Best Feather Mattress Topper
- Type/Construction: As mentioned at the beginning of the article, there are 3 types of feather mattress toppers, but these days the most commonly used design is the baffle box construction. In this type, the topper features 3D chambers filled with feathers and down. The chambers evenly distribute the fill and keep the feather in place while maintaining maximum loft and providing warmth.
- Fill power: The amount of fill power determines the insulation capacity of the fill inside the mattress topper. The higher the fill power, the more durable the topper is considered to be. It also indicates the quality of the down used. A featherbed with a fill power of more than 550 is deemed to be excellent quality.
- Feather type: Feather mattresses are made of different feathers, with the most popular ones being duck and goose feathers. Duck feathers are usually big and create a firm surface to sleep on, making it ideal for heavy sleepers. Mattress toppers made of goose feathers are softer, offer better comfort, and have higher fill powers, but they could be a little on the pricier side. So, choose a featherbed topper based on your preference.
- Thread count: When looking for a feather mattress topper, you need to consider the quality and durability of the topper, which is generally measured by the thread count. The thread count refers to the number of stitches, whether vertical or horizontal, per square inch of fabric. A featherbed with a higher thread count is considered to be of good quality, is less susceptible to wear and tear, and prevents the feathers from poking out.
- Thickness: The thickness of the mattress could vary depending on the type and amount of feathers used. The thicker it is, the more comfortable and soft it is. Thickness can range between 2 to 5 inches. If you are a stomach sleeper, go for a 2-inch thick mattress as it offers the right comfort level. If you prefer to sleep on your side, opt for toppers that are more than 4 inches for extra comfort.
- Size: Feather mattress toppers come in different sizes. The size of the mattress topper depends on the size of the mattress it will be placed on.
Pros And Cons Of Feather Toppers
- They are suitable for every season.
- They provide an additional level of warmth during winter nights.
- They offer little resistance, which makes it easy to move on it.
- They provide exceptional support while sleeping. They can reduce pressure in the back, neck, shoulders, and hips.
- They are light in weight, so they are easy to move around for fluffing and cleaning.
- They are incredibly soft and fluffy. When added to any hard mattress, it can enhance the comfort level and softness.
- They are an economical alternative when you can’t afford to buy a replacement for your old mattress.
- They are inexpensive than memory foam toppers and last for at least 10 years.
- They may flatten over time. You will be required to fluff or shake them up quite often.
- May emit a foul odor initially.
- They need to be spot cleaned or dry cleaned only.
- May not be suitable for people allergic to feathers as it could increase the risk of allergies.
- Sometimes the feather pokes out through the cover.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who should use a feather topper?
Anyone looking for a softer alternative to their firm and hard mattress can use a feather mattress topper. It ensures fantastic comfort while also offering excellent support.
2. Are they healthy?
Most feather mattress topper brands have an allergen-free warranty. But if you are allergic to feathers, it’s best not to buy this mattress topper as it could pose health issues.
3. How long do they last?
Featherbeds usually last between 8 to 10 years, but it could vary depending on the brand and how you take care of it.
4. How to take care of it?
Here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
- Use a mattress cover to keep dirt, bugs, and dust mites out.
- Spot clean or dry clean only.
- After washing, dry it properly.
- Rotate and flip the mattress every few weeks.
5. Are feather mattress toppers hypoallergenic?
Yes, most feather mattress toppers are hypoallergenic.
6. Can you wash a feather mattress topper?
It is not advisable to wash it at home in a washing machine. You could spot clean it at home, but if you want it to be washed, give it for laundering.
7. Feather vs. down alternative mattress toppers – the difference
A feather mattress topper is an extra layer of bedding added on a mattress to make it more soft and comfortable. They are made of duck and goose feathers and down are usually encased in a 100% breathable cotton cover.
Down mattress toppers are generally made of synthetic and natural materials such as rayon, polyester, or cotton, to name a few. It’s designed to mimic the texture of down, so rest assured it is soft and fluffy. This is a great option for those who may be allergic to feathers or down or for anyone on a strict budget. While they can be 100% hypoallergenic like most featherbed toppers, they are easier to clean as they are machine-washable.
8. Can you put a feather topper on a memory foam mattress?
Yes. If your memory foam mattress sags or is indented, you can put a feather topper on it.
9. How to stop the feather topper from sliding?
The best way to stop feather toppers from sliding is by using suspenders or straps that usually come along with the topper. If not, you could drape your mattress tightly with a fitted sheet, and then drape your topper the same way.
When it comes to getting a good night’s rest, the quality of the mattress plays an important role. However, if you have not been sleeping through the night due to your ill-designed bed and usually wake up with pain in your hips and shoulders, you don’t have to throw away your mattress. Just buy a featherbed mattress topper, and you’re good to go. Its soft, fluffy, and makes for a comfortable sleeping surface.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Specializing in home products, Sakshi John ensures her well-researched articles provide the readers with exactly what they need. She has scoured different websites and put together a list of the best feather toppers for mattresses. Keeping people’s requirements in mind, she has listed out the features of each feather topper, including their thickness, feather type, and pros and cons, so you pick the right one for yourself.