Safe boxes keep your precious belongings locked and protected from theft. But, an unprecedented fire could cause irreversible damage, damaging the box. So, we have compiled a list of the best fire-safe boxes that can help protect your belongings during accidental fires. Fire-safe boxes are made of fire-proof materials to withstand extreme heat and fire. Unlike standard boxes, these fire-safe options give you some time to save your valuables and last long.
Julio Arco, an architect and interior designer, had this to say after testing such safe boxes, “Incorporating fireproof safe boxes into your home can provide peace of mind, knowing that your essential documents, valuables, and irreplaceable items are safeguarded against unforeseen fire disasters. These safe boxes can withstand high temperatures and fire, giving you extra time to secure your valuables as you wait for firefighters to arrive.”
Go through our listed products and their features to choose a box that best fits your requirements.
10 Best Fireproof Safes For Documents
The fireproof wall safe by Amazon Basics is made of heavy-duty carbon steel,making it sturdy and durable. Although you can operate it with its electronic digital keypad, it also has a backup key for emergencies. This well-built and sturdy fireproof cash box can withstand external temperatures of up to 1,550 °F for half an hour.You can check out a tester’s experience in this video to make an informed decision before buying.
- Dimensions: 13.8×13×19.7in
- Weight: 55lb
- Capacity: 8ft3
- Lightweight design
- Easy to operate
- Gauged steel door and body for security
- Pre-drilled holes for mounting
- May not be waterproof
- Small safe
SentrySafe has a large storage capacity to hold a significant number of valuables and paper documents. To ensure maximum durability, it is tested for various safety and quality control features and, further, verified and certified by UL and ETL. It is available in dial combination and digital keypad models. You will also receive an extra key for additional security.
It is guaranteed to keep your valuables safe in temperatures of 1,700°F for an hour. This waterproof and fireproof combination safe includes an interior light to help you see better and access the contents. Its waterproof seal helps keep your valuables dry for up to 24 hours at an eight-inch water level. Learn more about the quality safe box in this product testing video.
- Dimensions: 3×16.3×17.8in
- Weight: 7lb
- Capacity: 23ft3
- Two locking mechanisms for safety
- Sturdy steel build withstands a 15ft fall
- Bolt down hardware
- Pry-resistant hinge bar prevents forced entries
- Requires batteries to function
- Safe is relatively heavy
The fire-resistant steel chest is portable and has double-insulated walls for protection. This lab-tested chest with a large space is ideal for preserving most paper documents from house fires. Though this safe provides low heat resistance, it serves its purpose well by offering protection against fire up to 750°F for a maximum time of 15min.
- Dimensions: 38×11×4.13in
- Weight: 1lb
- Lightweight and portable design
- Two handles for convenience
- Scratch- and chip-resistant finish
- Includes two keys for safety
- May not offer protection from water
- Does not include a warranty
Best Dual-Lock Mechanism
|Amazon Basics Home Keypad Safe||Sentry Safe Fireproof And Waterproof||MMF Industries Jumbo Steel Security Chest|
|Weight||37.4 Pounds||86.3 Pounds||6 pounds|
|Material||Carbon Steel||Alloy Steel||Stainless Steel|
|Color||Black||Gun Metal Gray||Beige|
|Dimensions||13"D x 13.8"W x 19.7"H||14.75"D x 19.3"W x 17.8"H||13.25 x 10.75 x 4 inches|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
The First Alert Security Box provides the best fire resistance and saves your documents in case of unfortunate fires. The powder-coated steel construction with a thick lid and sidewalls makes it durable and able to withstand high temperatures which helps protect your important paper documents, cash, and other precious items during a house fire. Its small size and built-in handles offer portability. This fireproof floor safe can endure heat up to 1,550°F for approximately half an hour.
- Dimensions: 5×12.69×4in
- Weight: 4.6lb
- Capacity: 0.15ft3
- Includes two keys or security
- Double-steel wall for fire protection
- Protective floor mat prevents scratches
- Seven-compartment safe can also be used as a cash tray
- Has limited space
- Only has a key-locking system for security
This fireproof and portable safe is easy to carry and is ideal for small items such as jewelry, paper documents, birth certificates, and cash. Its superior-quality double wall construction can be trusted against time and damage. A digital lock ensures safety while it can also be operated with backup keys in case of emergencies. It has a programmable digital keypad that can set up a secure password of your choice. It has a firmly interlocked door and can be carried while traveling. The safe protects contents in a fire for up to 30 minutes.
- Dimensions: 5.5×12.7×10.4in
- Weight: 69lb
- Capacity: 0.27ft3
- Includes one-year warranty
- Concealed hinges for security
- Walls have fire-resistant insulators to keep valuables safe
- Scratch-resistant coat finish offers durability
- Handle for portability
- Has a small capacity
- Safe may not be waterproof
- Temperature of resistance is not mentioned
The fireproof safe chest is ideal for holding important documents such as passports, birth certificates, and other essential records. It has dual-compression latches to seal the lid properly, and the handle makes it easy to carry in a hurry. The tried-and-tested safe can withstand fire for up to 30 minutes and can withstand water submersion for 120 minutes.
- Dimensions: 17×19.9×7.3in
- Weight: 56lb
- Capacity: 38ft3
- Portable and convenient design
- Stores your documents safely as its both waterproof and fireproof
- Includes a seven-year warranty
- Can even float
- The safe is heavy
- Temperature of resistance has not been mentioned
This cash box has a convenient locking mechanism and two easy-to-operate keys. The automatic lock system requires a push to secure the lid firmly, saving time during any emergency. Constructed from a sturdy and strong material, this fireproof electronic safe can withstand heavy weights and stays intact even if it falls from a higher place.
- Dimensions: 8×9.5×3.35in
- Weight: 33lb
- Compartmentalized tray for easy segregation of items
- Waterproof and fireproof
- Convenient, portable, and stylish
- Quality fireproof digital safe
- Soft cotton pad inside protects the delicate items from scratches
- Water- and fire-resistant ratings have not been mentioned
- Capacity of the case is not known
8. Best With Fingerprint Scanner: SereneLife Electronic Lock Safe
The SereneLife electronic lock is the ideal home and office security solution. This safe is corrosion- and stain-resistant and comes with a user-friendly digital keypad and fingerprint scanner to keep your essentials safe. It also comes with two keys for manual access. The fireproof file safe is suitable for storing cash, documents, jewelry, and other valuables.
- Dimensions: 9.8 x 13.8 x 9.8in
- Weight: 22.66 lb
- Wall or floor mounting options
- Can store multiple fingerprints
- Mounting hardware included
- Pre-drilled holes for easy installation
- May not be waterproof
- Lock might get stuck at times
Built from thick solid steel and a triple lock system, this fireproof and waterproof safe box is secure, reliable, and anti-theft. It has both password and manual key lock mechanisms. The door of this fireproof key lock safe is thick and difficult to open, keeping the important documents, cash, jewelry, and other valuables safe during a house fire.
- Dimensions: 57×12.2×11.8in
- Weight: 1lb
- Compact design
- Triggers an alarm when an incorrect password is entered
- Emergency key for manual override
- Red indicator turns on when battery power goes down
- Three locking bolts are provided for security
- Requires four AA batteries to function
- Water- and fire-resistant ratings have not been mentioned
- Capacity of the case is not known
This safe box by Islandsafe puts the safety of your essentials above all else. The fireproof safe box has a durable military-inspired design with a matte finish, increasing camouflage and keeping the safe hidden from intruders. This fireproof lock box is portable and can safely store all your essentials, making it ideal for home and office. The removable shelf ensures easy organization, and the anti-moisture fabric lining protects your valuables from scratches.
- Dimensions: 13 x 16 x 12in
- Weight: 19.8lb
- Capacity: 0.8 cubic feet
- Has bolt-locking holders on the inner door
- Can be wall-mounted for easy accessibility
- Features a digital code lock for complete security
- Interior light to illuminate the inside of the safe
- Includes two emergency keys and a battery box
- May not be easy to install
- May not be water-resistant
Benefits Of A Fire Safe Box
Listed below are some benefits of having a fire safe box.
- It is fireproof and helps you protect all the valuable and secure documents, cash, and other items in case of any unforeseen emergencies
- Built of thick material, it is hard to drill into, making it an anti-theft safe naturally
- It reduces insurance costs
- It operates on a set key or password or manual keys
- It is necessary when you go out on long vacations to keep your valuables safe
How To Choose The Right Fire Safe Box?
Here are a few factors you should consider when purchasing a fire safe box.
- Fire rating: It determines how long your safe can hold fire and keep the documents safe. Most fire safe boxes are tested before getting launched into the market. A fireproof rating of 1100 °F for 30 minutes is required for any safe box.
- Water rating: Safes must also withhold water like fire. A floatable safe with tight doors provides water resistance to keep the documents and valuables from damage.
- Storage capacity: Consider a safe with a large storage capacity to save a reasonable number of important documents, cash, and jewelry.
- Lock system: Most safes have a digital keypad system requiring a three to eight-digit password. A set of emergency keys are also provided for manual opening.
- Material: Most safes are constructed of steel. Chromium-plated aluminum safes are less fire-resistant. Padded interiors protect the valuables from any overthrows that are common during emergencies.
- Mounting: Consider safes with pre-drilled holes and are easy to mount. Small safes are relatively easy to mount than larger ones.
- Weight: The bigger the safe is, the heavier it is. A few portable safes are lightweight but have low storage capacity.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Our team of experienced reviewers and writers have done extensive research to bring you this list of the best fireproof safes for documents and keep your valuables safe. We have included the specifications, such as the dimensions, weight, and capacity, of each safe. Furthermore, we have handpicked safes that are lightweight, easy to operate, waterproof, and portable. These products are chosen after considering user reviews to ensure high quality and an unbiased opinion.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Will paper money burn in a fireproof safe?
Storing paper money in a UL class 350 fire-resistant safe can protect the hard cash from burning for about one to two hours.
2. Do fireproof safes work?
Yes, they work, but hold several limitations. Any material can burn in a fire if exposed for a long time. Hence, it is better to say that fireproof safes protect your valuables for a limited period. Look at the fire-rating before purchase as it determines the time range your valuables will be kept safe in case of emergencies.
3. Where should I put a fireproof safe?
It depends on the size of the safe, layout of the house, and the contents in the safe. You can put them near the routes of exit so that you can quickly grab them during house fires. Never place a safe near any flammable objects.
4. Where can I put a fireproof safe?
You can put a fireproof safe near the routes of exit so that you can quickly grab during house fires. Never place a safe near any flammable objects.
5. What happens if I forget a safe combination?
Most safes come with emergency opening options that can be used in case you forget the combination. You can override the lock with keys or even manually. Follow the manufacturer’s protocols to override the safe manually. You can contact the manufacturer and verify your information to administer their overriding protocols. If nothing works, you can always go to a locksmith for help.
Infographic: How To Use A Fireproof Safe Efficiently?
A fireproof safe is designed to protect important documents, valuables, and other irreplaceable items from fire damage. However, the heavy-duty air-tight aspect of these safes can result in moisture buildup, impacting the condition of the stored items. Check out the infographic below to learn how to store objects in a fireproof safe while considering the humidity factor for optimal protection.
- Best Spongebob Toys for Kids
- Best Funny Swimsuits For Women
- Best Kids Punching Bags
- Best Seat Belt Cover