If your newborn’s head appears flatter at the back than other kids, you may be on the lookout for the best flat head pillow for babies. Plagiocephaly, commonly known as the flat head syndrome, is quite common in infants. In most cases, the baby’s head becomes rounder as they grow older. However, instead of waiting for the shape to change by itself, using a flat head pillow to help make their head shape rounder may be a convenient option. These pillows are uniquely shaped — a concave hole that applies delicate pressure evenly on your newborn’s soft skull. We review a few of the top flat head pillows for your little one. Take a look and choose what suits you best.
15 Best Flat Head Pillows For Babies
The Kakiblin Baby Travel Pillow for flat head is made from 100% organic PP cotton, which is soft and gentle on the baby’s skin. It measures 3 x 3 inches with a thickness of two inches, and its concave center and unique shape provide adequate support to your baby’s head and neck. You can use it when your baby is lying down, in a swing, a stroller, the crib, or any other place you see fit. In addition, the trusted pillow helps prevent the baby’s head from flopping during a nap and shaking while in the stroller or car seat.
- Breathable fabric
- Ideal size
- Available in many prints
- Lightweight and portable
- Might not be padded enough
- Color may appear differently in different lighting
"Despite being lightweight, the padding of this pillow has been impressive. It was a tad big for my newborn, but now that he is older, it fits his head perfectly. Overall, the pillow does a profound job of keeping my baby comfortable."
2. Best Non-Toxic: Boppy Head Support Noggin Nest
Your little one will snooze off in no time with this baby-friendly Boppy Noggin Nest head pillow. It has a unique cut-out design that gently cradles your baby’s head and is compatible with three- and five-point harness systems. Weighing only 6.8 ounces, its premium cotton blend fabric provides a soft, resilient support to your baby’s head. The multi-functional pillow is easy to install in any bouncer, stroller, or swing. Further, the well-recommended non-toxic pillow is free of lead, formaldehyde, phthalates, or other heavy metals and is machine washable, offering ease of maintenance and durability.
Babies often require pillows for flat head syndrome caused by an incorrect sleeping position or unsuitable pillows. Mokeydou flat head pillows for babies have an arc-shaped groove design that evenly distributes the pressure on the head and gives your baby a perfectly rounded head. Made with hypoallergenic cotton, it provides neck support to babies between 0 to 24 months to protect the cervical spine. It features premium quality and eco-friendly, slow rebound memory foam which retains its shape and keeps your baby’s head in alignment with the spine. The ventilation holes in the pillow core enhance air flow, moisture wicking, and let your baby sleep well. It comes equipped with an antibacterial, anti-mite lining and a washable organic cotton pillowcase. It’s absolutely odorless and suitable for sensitive skin.
Best With Supportive Gusset
|Kakiblin Baby Travel Pillow
|Boppy Head Support Noggin Nest
|Urban Infant Toddler Bed Pillow
|100% Organic PP Cotton
|Baby’s car seat, swing, crib, stroller, and more
|Swing, bouncer, stroller
|Toddler bed transition
|0 to 1 year
|0 to 4 months
|2 to 9 years
|3 x 2 x 3in
|17 x 11 x 2.25in
|17 x 4.5 x 13in
This super-soft flat head pillow for babies is made of natural organic cotton, has a polyester filling, and is eco-friendly and breathable. The velvety cotton surface of this double-sided pillow can be used by your baby on both sides, is extremely comfortable, supports your baby’s head, and prevents flat head syndrome. Its concave center distributes the pressure exerted on the head evenly and allows you to adjust the neck support. Measuring 15 x 8 inches, it can be used in many ways like during diaper changes, in the play mat, bassinet, or during breastfeeding. Easy to clean, it can be hand washed or machine washed in a cool or warm, gentle cycle. In this YouTube video, you will find a detailed review of this product.
Don’t let your baby suffer the effects of flat head syndrome with this 100% organic cotton baby flat head pillow that supports their neck and head scientifically. It features a breathable 3D air mesh construction to keep your baby cool in summer and warm in winter. The hypoallergenic cotton fabric bonded with sponge increases both cushioning and durability. It features premium quality soft and slow rebound memory foam with a concave design that helps in shaping the head with added comfort, and it also reduces the pressure on the spine and neck. This infant pillow with ventilation cradles your baby’s head perfectly to ensure unobstructed breathing so that your baby wakes up fresh and rejuvenated. It is pediatrician-recommended and can be used by babies between the age of 0 to 12 months for a perfectly shaped head.
This baby flat head pillow has been created and patented by a pediatrician to prevent plagiocephaly which occurs in infants when the skull is still rather soft. This soft and comfortable contoured pillow will ensure that your baby has a nice round head. The front of the pillow is crafted with a breathable and soft CoolMax fabric, and its temperature regulation provides optimal comfort and prevents perspiration while being slip-resistant. It distributes pressure evenly on the skull, which helps in shaping their head, and the anti-slip fabric at the back prevents it from shifting. This baby pillow with cutout is machine washable and can be used in a bouncer, bassinet, or stroller for maximum neck and head support. Extremely safe for your baby, it meets European and American infant safety standards.
7. Best With Supportive Gusset:Urban Infant Toddler Bed Pillow
The Urban Infant toddler bed pillow comes with a 100% soft cotton and breathable fabric construction. The shell is designed with 300-count tight weave cotton threads to keep the child protected from the filling fiber within. It is easy to clean and maintain, as it is machine washable. Measuring 17 x 13 x 3 inches, the pillow would be the perfect size for a three to nine-year-old transiting from a crib to a proper bed. Moreover, the pillow has a shallow gusset design to provide adequate and even head support, reducing the risk of the flat head syndrome. In addition, since the outer layer of the pillow is extremely soft, you can use it even without a pillowcase, and the inner filling is made with 100% polyester, making it thoroughly comfortable.
Recommended by pediatricians, this baby pillow for flat heads is perfect for flat head syndrome and can be used on a bouncer seat, changing pad, car seat, or during tummy time, or while nursing. This versatile pillow can be used as a head support for babies from zero to six months, as a neck support from six months onwards, and then as a travel pillow. This breathable pillow by the trusted brand Babymoon distributes the pressure on your baby’s head evenly while lying down for a perfect head shape. It cradles your baby’s head with its two adjustable arms that attach together with velcro. The two arms can be separated so that it can be used as neck support, and the velcro can be covered with the peek-a-boo flap to avoid skin irritation. With a 100% polyester cover and filling, it’s easy to clean and can be machine washed.
The durable and hypoallergenic, medium soft memory foam of this baby flat head pillow evenly distributes the pressure on the delicate head of your baby so that they don’t suffer from flat head syndrome. It carries a CPC certification and meets strict U.S safety standards. The baby pillow for round head features a removable and washable cover without a zipper which is made of ultra soft 100% cotton for added safety. This small and compact pillow is easy to carry anywhere and ensures that your baby’s head gets the required support in the bassinet, car seat, or stroller. It measures 9.4 x 7.8 inches and is 1.18 inches thick, providing contoured neck support so that your baby’s spine is always perfectly aligned.
This pediatrician-recommended, hypoallergenic 3D hollow baby pillow for flat heads shapes the head and provides support to the neck scientifically. It features premium quality slow rebound soft memory foam with a concave design so that it’s extremely comfortable while simultaneously shaping the head and reducing the pressure on the spine and neck. Perfect for babies between 0 to 12 months, it’s effect is obvious after use for about three months. Its breathable 3D air mesh construction keeps it warm in winter and cool in the summer. Crafted with 100% organic cotton fabric bonded with sponge, it’s sufficiently cushioned and durable. Its efficient design enables you to use it in your baby’s stroller, bouncer, crib, cradle, or car seat.
11. Best Good Rebound: Mhomer Flat Head Pillow For Babies
This pediatrician-recommended flat head pillow for babies has a concave shape in the middle so that the pressure on a single point on your baby’s delicate head is reduced. Perfect for babies between 0 to 12 months, it will ensure that they have a perfectly shaped head by evenly distributing the pressure. Crafted with soft, skin-friendly, comfortable, odorless, and safe hydrophilic foam with efficient rebound, this baby pillow for round heads supports the head and neck of your baby. The pillow is trusted by moms and has a hypoallergenic, soft, and breathable polyester cover, is temperature-resistant, and has ultra strong air permeability. Easy to clean, it can be scrubbed with a baby cleaner and dried in a well-ventilated place.
12. Best With O-Shape Hole: Second Mum Flat Head Pillow For Babies
This baby pillow to prevent flat heads is designed with a skin-friendly and breathable fabric that keeps cool in warm weather, and warm in winter. The unique construction of this soft and comfortable pillow has an O-shape hole design in the middle to reduce pressure on a single point, and allows easy head movement so that your baby can sleep comfortably. The premium quality perforated foam has great air permeability and uniformly applies pressure on your baby’s head for a perfect shape, protecting their neck as well. Portable and easy to use, these low and light pillows are slightly raised at the back to ensure the best position for your baby, and can be placed in their crib, stroller, or car seat. Recommended by paediatricians and neurosurgeons, it’s the best solution to avoid flat heads in babies and can be used between the age of 0 to 6 months.
13. Best For Neck And Head Support: Tiny Years Baby Head Shaping Pillow
This baby flat head pillow designed by a pediatric chiropractor addresses learning difficulties associated with flat head syndrome so that they don’t miss out on development milestones. Crafted with 100% breathable 3D air mesh, it does not have memory foam which comparatively has less airflow and breathability. It’s recommended that even if your child does not have flat head syndrome, it should be used for the first 6 months to prevent the risk of developing a problem. This pillow, along with the simple step-by-step exercises, provided on the online video platform, will ensure that your baby has a perfect head shape. It comes in three different sizes so that your baby can sleep comfortably on the size that suits them best. It provides the required neck and head support that your baby needs for a perfectly aligned body.
14. Best Hypoallergenic: Baby Works Cloud 9 Head Support
This baby pillow for flat heads is specially designed to support your baby’s neck and head by evenly distributing the pressure on the skull. This cloud-shaped, soft, and comfortable memory foam pillow contours around your baby’s head perfectly and also prevents babies from rolling over or getting cradle cap. Lightweight and portable, this flat head pillow can be used from birth and can be used in bassinets, strollers, cribs, or car seats. Being one of the best pillows for flat-head babies, it features a hypoallergenic, removable, and machine-washable fitted cover, which is extremely gentle and soft on your baby’s skin, keeping the pillow cool and comfortable. It measures 11.4 x 7.6 inches and can be used right from the time of birth.
15. Best With A Rounded Depression: IntiMom Baby Head Shaping Pillow
Let your baby feel royal with this crown-shaped baby pillow for flat head syndrome. It includes two washable soft cotton covers and ensures that your baby has a perfectly well rounded head, while also helping to avoid the occurrence of torticollis. The pack of grey and white pillow cases fit around the pillow perfectly and are machine washable, while the memory foam can be spot-cleaned as needed. With a rounded depression in the middle to promote a rounded head shape, it prevents your baby from rolling over and supports their neck so that they are always relaxed. This ergonomically-designed pillow is a trusted choice and is ideal for babies between 0 to 12 months, and is designed to fit inside a baby’s crib, stroller, or any flat surface. The luxurious pillow cases made of cotton and high-quality memory foam work together for the comfort of your baby.
How To Choose The Right Baby Flat Head Pillow
- Material: The material used for the infant positioning pillow should be hypoallergenic and crafted from organic materials that are suitable for babies’ sensitive skin. Cotton can be soft, smooth, and comfortable against their skin and makes an excellent outer cover. Memory foam is great for the infill as it offers good support and molds to the shape of your baby’s head while keeping it in the correct position.
- Size: This determines the comfort of the pillow for your baby. A size that’s too small will have their heads slipping off, and they may end up sleeping in an uncomfortable position. A sleep positioner pillow of the correct size will keep your baby’s head in a comfortable position. A smaller pillow is preferred if you are on the go all the time, as they can be used in strollers, cribs, bassinets, and play mats. That way your baby’s head is always supported wherever they may be lying. The dimensions of an ideal baby pillow is usually 12 x 16 inches.
- Comfort: A pillow that’s too soft or too firm or can cause discomfort to your baby. A baby headrest pillow that’s too small can cause your baby’s head to slip off while sleeping, while one that is too high can force their necks and heads into an uncomfortable position. The pillow should be balanced, and a soft and firm pillow is a good choice. The best way to ensure this is to press the pillow and release it. If it doesn’t get back to its original shape, it may be too soft and may cause suffocation. If it remains intact even upon applying pressure, it means the infant head support pillow is too hard and will not be comfortable for your baby. An ideal pillow should get pressed when pressure is applied, and should regain its shape immediately.
- Shape: All flat head pillows have a similar design where the center of the pillow features a concave depression to position your baby’s head. This prevents them from slipping and sleeping continuously on a particular side. Some have fun patterns and designs, but ensure that you go for the shape that is most supportive for your baby’s head.
- Breathability: This enhances the comfort of your child and allows warm air to circulate in cold weather, and cool air to circulate in warm weather. Do go for a breathable head shaper so that your baby is always comfortable.
- Ease to clean: With babies, there are bound to be spit ups and drooling, hence you should choose a baby sleep pillow that is easy to clean. Some may be machine washable, but others can lose their shape and may take a long time to dry. Some can only be hand washed, while others can be both hand and machine washed. What you opt for depends on your preference.
- Thickness of the pillow: The flat head syndrome pillow should not be too thin, as it can strain your baby’s neck, and so a thickness of two to three inches is ideal.
- The fill material: Babies have very delicate and sensitive skin, so the pillow should have hypoallergenic materials, or your baby might be bothered by allergies. As a parent, it’s important that you know what the pillow is filled with. Cotton fillings are the best fill as they are soft, breathable, and have the required firmness. Hypoallergenic foam also helps to align the spine and neck, and encourages an ideal sleeping posture, but may cause allergies. Polyester is durable, lightweight, hypoallergenic, and odorless. They are long-lasting and easy to clean, but tend to be more expensive.
- Safety certification: The certification of a product is an indication that the product has been tested to be healthy and safe. This test is an affirmation that the pillow for plagiocephaly follows basic baby health and safety requirements. So it’s ideal to look for pillows that are certified to be safe.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What causes flat heads in babies?
Babies tend to sleep in the same position and on the same spot on their mattress, and as the bones in their skull are soft and malleable, flat head syndrome can occur. Moreover, their neck muscles tend to be tight, which makes it difficult for them to turn their heads, which can result in a flat head at the back.
2. Do baby pillows work for a flat head?
Consult a medical practitioner to know the cause of the flat head. If your baby’s flat head is due to the inappropriate head position while sleeping, you can support your baby’s head with a pillow only under supervision. Also, be aware that infant head-shaping pillows are not FDA-approved (1).
3. Are flat head pillows safe for babies?
You may use a flat head pillow to help support your baby’s head while sleeping. Avoid using it to help treat flat head syndrome.
4. Can a flat head be corrected with a pillow?
In many cases, flat head syndrome goes away on its own as the baby grows (1). Pillows can only support the positioning of the head.
5. How can I reshape my baby’s flat head?
You could try to limit the time your baby spends lying on the back. position your baby such that they turn their head sideways, make them practice tummy time to strengthen their neck muscles and arms, or hold your baby more often (2).
6. When can you stop worrying about a flat head?
As your baby grows, the flat head syndrome can go away. And by the time they reach one or two years, the flat head may barely be visible (3).
Why Trust MomJunction?
Do not worry if your child shows symptoms of flat head syndrome. While your child’s head will develop naturally, a flat head pillow can also help. To accommodate the shape of your baby’s head while sleeping, a flat head pillow would give optimum comfort. However, while buying a pillow, you must consider the material, filling, design, and quality for safe and long-lasting use. Ensure it is soft, hypoallergenic, and appropriately sized to accommodate your baby’s head. We hope our reviewed list of the best flathead pillows for babies can help you analyze the available options.
Flat head syndrome or plagiocephaly is very common among babies and is really not a cause for alarm, and pillows for flat head syndrome are very effective in shaping your baby’s head. Flat heads usually occur when babies have stiff neck muscles due to which they tend to sleep in the same position. Usually, this problem sorts itself out with time in mild cases, but the right baby pillow can be used to prevent a flat head from occurring. There is a huge range of baby pillows available for flat heads, and we hope our review of the best flat head pillows for babies will help you find one that will give good support to your baby’s head.
Infographic: A Guide To Prevent Flat Head Syndrome In Infants
Usually caused by tight neck muscles, a flat head syndrome is common in most infants and generally goes away eventually. If you wonder how to prevent your child from developing a flat head, check out the infographic with some helpful tips.
- Do Not Use Infant Head Shaping Pillows to Prevent or Treat Any Medical Condition: FDA Safety Communication
- Flat Head Syndrome (Positional Plagiocephaly)
- Plagiocephaly and brachycephaly (flat head syndrome)