A floor mattress can come in handy when living in a small space or accommodating guests. Here’s our list of the best floor mattresses to help you choose the right one. These are suitable for unexpected visits and outdoor activities like camping, weekend getaways, or picnics. With multiple options available, they ensure optimal comfort and support and help you sleep like a baby. Most are compact, portable, and have a breathable mesh that allows heat to dissipate when you are sleeping. So, explore the available options to make an informed decision.
Types Of Floor Mattresses
Floor mattresses can be categorized into foldable floor mattresses and rollable floor mattresses.
- Foldable floor mattresses are also called tri-fold or bi-fold mattresses, depending on the layers. They are usually made of a memory foam base with additional comfort zones and layers. These mattresses are comfortable to store and contain small creases to allow each layer to be stacked on top of each other.
- Rollable floor mattresses have thin layers and are more affordable than foldable ones. They also provide less support and cushioning. Except for some high-end brands, they are not equipped with non-slip bases. Rollable mattresses are mainly sewn-in, and you cannot remove their covers. These are much lighter than the foldable ones to facilitate travel.
10 Best Floor Mattresses
American Furniture is a tri-fold mattress ideal for a weekend getaway, overnight guests, and camping. The foam mattress is ventilated for air-flow and to regulate the sleeping temperature to provide maximum comfort. The tri-fold mattress measures 74x30x3.4in and can easily accommodate tall people. The side and bottom of the mesh are designed for maximum durability. If you want to know more about the benefits of this product, check out this quick review on YouTube.
- Easy to store and maintain
- Easy care instructions
- Not very soft
Maxyoyo is a five-layer structure design with memory foam and cotton filling. The futon mattress comes with a cover of the same color, a canvas storage bag, and a pair of bandages. The solid black pattern features excellent printing and dyeing technology. The size of the sleeping floor mattress is 80x39x4in. To restore the normal thickness of the mattress, dry it in the sun after purchase.
- Multipurpose use
- Available in versatile colors
- May not be suitable for everyday use
The Milliard tri-fold mattress is made of memory foam and comes with a removable cover that is easily washable. The soft bamboo top and breathable mesh sides can adjust your sleeping temperature to provide maximum comfort a good night’s rest. The folding mattress is made of high-density foam and does not deform. The size of the mattress is 75x25x4in, offering you ample space to rest. Here’s an honest review of the product.
- Eco-friendly packaging
- CertiPUR-approved memory foam
- May be a tad firm
The Inofia memory foam tri-fold mattress comes with an ultra-soft non-slip removable cover made of skin-friendly bamboo to provide a comfortable sleeping experience. When not in use, it can easily be folded and stored in any corner of the house. It measures 78x38x6in and can be used for sleepover guests or family gatherings. The product comes with a 100 worry-free night trial to make buying more comfortable.
- Breathable mesh
- Supportive foam base
- 10-year warranty
- Toxin-free CertiPUR-US certified memory foam
- Not available in king size
Designed for superior overall comfort, the Better Habitat mattress comes with a water-proof cotton terry sheet with non-slip bottom. The hypoallergenic cover prevents dust mites, mildew, and bacteria. The rollaway cotton floor mattress is easy to carry and is suitable for camping or overnight stays. The versatile bag comes with an easy-to-carry storage bag and measures 75x36x3in when opened, allowing you to sleep comfortably. Here’s a video featuring a detailed review of the product.
- No mercury and lead
- Formaldehyde- and phthalates-free
- CertiPUR-approved memory foam
- Convenient to use
- Machine-washable cover
- May not be suitable for heavy people
Fortnight’s soft mattress can provide comprehensive support during your night sleep. The CertiPUR-US certified foam provides firm support for your back and is safely designed without the use of ozone depleters, flame retardants, and heavy metals. Do not use it for up to 48 hours after opening for effective results.
- Convenient to use
- Easy storage
- No mercury
- Durable stitchbond fabric cover
- No clear specification about the warranty
The D&D mattress is a traditional Japanese futon mattress designed for twin-size beds as it measures 80x39x3in. It is ideal for children or unexpected guests at home and guarantees a good night’s rest. The mattress is composed of white cotton battings, two fiber layers, and one layer of foam. The outer cover is made of 100% polyester and can be easily folded by attaching long threads to the mattress’s end.
- Easy to maintain and carry
- Storage friendly
- Available in multiple colors
- Thin memory foam layer
Emoor is a twin, long-sized Japanese futon mattress measuring 83x39x2.5in. It is made of a sturdy polyester pad and is embedded with a soft filling that can be rolled on the carpet. The outer fabric is made of 100% cotton material. The easy-to-fold mattress is not machine washable.
- Firm but not too hard
- Good for your back
- Easy to fold
- May take 5-7 days to swell up
Gold Star tri-folding mattress is designed with gel memory foam, which helps regulate sleeping temperature while providing you with maximum comfort. Unlike regular foams, the gel takes the shape of your body for a comfortable sleep. This portable sleep mattress is perfect for traveling and camping and can be used as an extra cushion for your couch. With dimensions of 75x39x3in, the foam mattress fits nicely into a medium-sized bed.
- Easy storage
- Removable and washable cover
- May not be ideal for heavy people
The ibigbean sleeping pad is ideal for use outdoors and when you have unexpected guests at home. Made of high-density memory foam, it gives your body a relaxed feeling and is suitable for overweight adults or children. The black non-slip bottom is ideal for tiles or hard floors. The foldable single mattress has an easy roll-up function, which allows you to store it in a bag to carry anywhere. The multifunctional bag measures 75x38x2.76in.
- Water-resistant inner layer
- Breathable cotton surface
- CertiPUR-approved memory foam
- Product size may vary
How To Choose The Right Floor Mattress
Before you choose the best floor mattress, here are some suggestions you may want to consider.
- Construction: A mattress with firm construction is more suitable for heavy sleepers or people with rheumatic pain. If you like softness, opt for plusher mattresses.
- Size: Floor mattresses come in various sizes, from small to XL to California Kingsize. You can choose kingsize for family gatherings or the medium size for outdoor camping purposes.
- Temperature: Always check the quality of the memory foam. The foam should be designed with temperature-adjustable materials.
- Trial period: Check whether the company provides a sleep trial period. Many high-end companies offer a trial period of 30 to 365 days.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Sakshi John is a product writer who gives the most researched product reviews. She has compiled a list of the best floor mattresses, along with their descriptions, bearing in mind the necessities in compact areas, unexpected visitors, and outdoor activities. She’s also included many benefits and drawbacks of each product and a buying guide to assist you in selecting the right one for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is using a floor mattress a good idea?
Although it’s a matter of personal preference, sleeping on the floor could reduce non-specific back pain in some cases. On the other hand, some can find it too cold, while those with high sensitivity levels may be prone to allergies while sleeping on the floor (1).
2. Why is my mattress more comfortable on the floor?
Although the comfort levels of a mattress could depend on its firmness and the materials used to make it, the firmness and evenness of the floor could enhance the experience in some cases.
3. Does a mattress on the floor cause back pain?
While it may help some with back pain, using a mattress with no proper cushioning could increase one’s chances of getting back pain. It is recommended you use a medium-firm mattress when sleeping on the floor (1) (2).
4. What is the healthiest sleeping position?
It is recommended you sleep on the side, preferably on your left, or back (3).
5. Does sleeping on the floor improve your posture?
Using a medium-firm mattress and sleeping on the floor could help keep your spine straight and improve your posture to a certain degree (1).
6. How should I clean a floor mattress?
The cleansing process may vary as per the material of the mattress. Most could be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner, while certain stains could be tackled using an enzyme cleaner. Read the care instructions given by the manufacturer.
7. Can I sleep on the floor while pregnant?
Keeping cold floors, exposure to dust, and difficulty involved in getting up from a floor mattress in mind, it may not be advisable to sleep on the floor while pregnant. Talk to your obstetrician before using a floor mattress.
Floor mattresses are great options when you have several guests visiting you or when camping. The best floor mattresses are made of durable and breathable material and are easy to fold and carry. They also come with the right amount of padding to keep you comfortable. You may choose between a foldable or rollable floor mattress based on your need and preference. And when choosing one, always consider the dimensions based on your size and ensure the mattress is compact.
- Is Sleeping On The Floor Good For You?
- What Type Of Mattress Should Be Chosen To Avoid Back Pain And Improve Sleep Quality?
- Best Sleeping Positions