If you are looking for ways to reduce your child’s screen time and indulge in active playtime, check out our list of the best flying toys to choose the right one. Flying toys help keep children engaged and give them an outlet to channelize their energy healthily. Of course, kids these days need to spend a lot of time on the phone screens because of educational and other reasons, but having flying toys will ensure your child goes out in the open to play and soak in fresh air and sunlight.
With flying toys, children take their first steps to understand aerodynamics and physics. These entertaining toys come in various designs and with different features, like rechargeable and replaceable batteries, motors, and remote controls. So, read on and take your pick.
11 Best Flying Toys In 2021
1. Best Rechargeable:Force1 Orbiter Flying Orb Ball
The Force1 Orbiter flying orb ball is a rechargeable ball-type drone toy for kids that allows your child to fly their very own UFO drone. Equipped with flexible propellers based on smart motion sensor technology, the quality-tested drone can avoid obstacles with ease. If the propellers collide with other objects or fall to the ground, they will stop rotating automatically to prevent any potential damage to themselves or hurting the person flying the drone. This award-winning ball toy with motion sensitivity facilitates hands-on STEM learning in the most entertaining way.
- Bright LED light projection on the ceiling as it flies
- Single-button controller remote
- Kid-safe, non-toxic design
- USB charger included
- Impressive sensing power
- Built-in safety protection with a three-second flight delay
- May not have direction control feature
- Battery may not last long
"The colorful design of the flying crystal ball made it an instant source of entertainment for my little ones. The propellers could have been sturdier; however, using the ball indoors and ensuring it lands on soft surfaces can extend its longevity. All in all, it has been a unique find."
2. Best Feature-Loaded: Holy Stone HS190 Mini Nano Drone
The Holy Stone HS190 mini RC drone is a small and portable quadcopter with interesting features such as an altitude-hold function, single-button take-off and landing, and one-button return mode. The three-speed level feature and lightweight design make it suitable for newbies as well as children with experience. In addition, it can be conveniently charged with a USB cable for endless fun.
- Features 3D flips
- Foldable design for easy storage
- Lockable propeller for safety
- High-speed 360-degree rotation
- Features LED lights for nighttime play
- Easy to use
- Efficient design
- Charging it may be time-consuming
- May be delicate for rough play
"Its responsive controls and intuitive features like auto-hover have been impressive. Though the battery life is shorter than expected, its exciting and engaging attributes have made it the star during playtime."
3. Best For Gifting:ArtCreativity Space Shuttle Gliders
Start engaging your children in conversations about space and the various planets by bringing home the ArtCreativity Space Shuttle Gliders. The pack of 24 toys is specially crafted for all aviation enthusiasts. Made of high-quality foam and measuring 5 x 3.5 x 2.2 inches, the gliders can be used indoors as well as outdoors. Loved by many reviewers, these foam glider toys can also serve as goodie bag fillers for parties or be given as prizes during classroom activities.
- Helps improve social skills
- Made using high-quality materials
- Lightweight material
- Easy to assemble
- Durable material
- Might be smaller than expected
"These flying gliders have been perfect for organizing fun races during group play and parties. They are more or less easy to assemble, have a decent flying distance, and withstand enthusiastic play well. Plus, the battery-free operation is a bonus."
B.toys’ flying disc lights up as it moves and only needs you to pull the string before it springs into the air. Creating luminous patterns during its flight, this durable toy gives you the ease of hold with its ergonomic disc launcher design. You can set off this flying disc toy inside or outside for your toddlers to watch, making it a great pastime, as they can also soak up some much-needed vitamin D.
- Easy non-slip grip
- Simple design
- Designed especially for tiny hands
- Convenient to access the battery compartment
- Features in-built LED lights
- Pull string may not withstand rough use
- May be hard to use for some
"This flying disc stands out for its interesting flying antics and durable design. It took my child some time to get accustomed to the force needed to fly the disc. However, once she got the hang of it, there was no stopping her. In short, it is a sizable toy that guarantees fun."
This fighter plane uses batteries to run, and the blade placed at the center accelerates its time in the air. With these flying plane toys, your child will feel like a little pilot and have fun launching them during playtime. When the swivel is pushed at the proper angle, these flying airplane toys for kids take off at high speed. Once fly time is over, you can simply grab it and bring it down in order to prepare for landing.
- Plastic front propeller
- Works with no remote
- Lightweight design
- Sturdily built
- May not come with ready-to-use batteries
- May not be pre-assembled
"This toy promoted my child's imagination and creativity. Launching the plane isn't as simple as I had expected. However, once in the air, it is a delight to watch my son enjoy it flying in circular motions. Overall, a durable option."
6. Best Rechargeable: Hatchimals Starlite Idol Flying Pixie Toy Doll
The glam Crystal Flyers pixie doll from Hatchimals is adorned with glittery wings, a silver dress, and realistic makeup and flies when launched from the base. It is a beautiful sight to watch her soar through the air as her wings and dress sparkle due to the embedded LED lights. The auto-stop feature on the wings stops the doll from flying even when in mid-flight, thus ensuring safety. Additionally, the flying fairy toy comes with a crystal egg display case, making it an ideal decorative piece.
- Made of safe and durable material
- Includes a USB charging
- Features height identifying sensors
- Easy to operate
- Interactive design
- Includes an instruction manual
- May not be durable
- Noise level may be annoying to some
The Schylling mechanical flying bird toy is a popular and colorful toy from France. It is a plastic bird that flaps its wings while flying. You can easily make it fly by winding up the rubber band and tossing it in the air. It makes a fluttering sound as it flies and can fly up to fifty yards. The Tim bird is powered by a rubber motor and measures eight inches long with a 16-inch wingspan. This flying animal toy is well loved by children and adults alike.
- Lightweight and sturdy
- Long-lasting design
- Promotes imagination and creativity
- Comes with a spare rubber band drive mechanism
- May not fly for long
- Fluttering sound can be noisy for some
"The flying mechanical bird keeps my little one hooked whenever she plays with it. Although she cannot operate it independently, helping her out allows me to spend quality time with her. Since it is best played in open spaces, it encourages my child to indulge in outdoor activities. I would recommend it!"
8. Best With LED: Zing Go Go Bird Flying Toy
Zing’s Go Go flying bird toy is an exciting airborne toy suitable for both boys and girls. This remote-controlled toy bird in vibrant red flaps its wings like a real bird when in flight. It is equipped with LED lights in seven bright and beautiful colors and looks attractive when flown at night. Made of lightweight and collision-resistant material, this bird is durable and safe to play with. It also boasts autonomous obstacle recognition, allowing it to move six feet away from any obstacle for self-protection.
- Can fly up to 200ft
- Six-axis flying sensor
- Available in two colors
- Includes a display stand
- Rechargeable batteries
- Bright and colorful LED light
- Might drain the batteries quickly
- Remote might have a limited range
"My children have been hooked on this flying bird ever since we got it. Its vibrant red color, dimensions, and flapping wings keep the little ones engrossed and entertained. As the battery drains quickly, it helps to keep a few handy during playtime. All in all, it is a fun addition to their toy collection."
9. Best For Indoors And Outdoors: Big Mo’s Toys Flying Discs
Big Mo’s Toys Flying Discs come in attractive shades of pink, blue, yellow, and green. The tried-and-tested set includes forty colorful whirling discs, launcher rings, and twist sticks, offering children the ability to mix and match the colors to make playtime more fun. In addition, the small and colorful flying discs are manually propelled, making them suitable gifts for children.
- Easy to use
- Can be used indoors as well as outdoors
- Made of non-toxic high-quality materials
- Suitable for children aged three years and up
- Ideal for party favors and prizes
- Some might find it flimsy
- Pack may have missing items
"My children fell in love with these toy's vibrant propellers. I found the material to be a bit flimsy, but they still seem to handle rough play. Also, they are perfect for organizing races during group play. A decent product overall."
Filled with foam, Aerial’s Flying Pig Stress Toy is compact enough to fit snugly in the palm of your hand. You can squeeze, punch, or throw this little pig to release all your stress, and it withstands it all without developing any creases or wrinkles. Soundless, this toy has the ideal size to be placed on your work or study desk and used whenever a stressful situation arises.
- Soft material
- Made of polyurethane material
- Easy to use
- Fits perfectly in the palm
- Available in various colors
- May not produce any sound
- May be a bit hard to squeeze
11. Best For Hand-Eye Coordination: World Tech Toys Baby Yoda UFO Helicopter
The Star Wars-inspired and Baby Yoda-featuring helicopter by World Tech Toys has advanced infrared hover sensor technology, allowing children to control the toy from the palm of their hands. This lightweight remote control helicopter toy for kids features a coaxial rotor system for precise movements and can also help improve hand-eye coordination. The set includes a power remote, USB charger, and two spare rotors to ensure the fun never stops.
- Can fly up to 15 feet
- Quick-charging battery
- Easy to operate
- Durable material
- Decent price
- Flying speed might be higher than expected
- Hovering sensor might glitch at times
"I love this toy's Baby Yoda design; it's super cute! Steering it properly takes a while to get used to; however, the joy it provides my child makes it worthwhile. I would suggest flying it over carpeted surfaces to extend its durability."
How To Choose The Right Flying Toys?
Here are a few factors that you should bear in mind when choosing a flying toy for your child.
- Type: You can find a lot of aerodynamic toys on the market and choose from among what the receiver or your child prefers. Helicopters, cars, drones, animals, and discs are all some fun options that can be gifted or stuffed into Christmas stockings.
- Flight time: For toys such as planes, cars, helicopters, and drones, look for a flight time that is ample, which could be around 5 to 10 minutes. Short flight times can cause irritation. So you can choose indoor flying toys like this, as they will be close to the power source.
- Power: Some toys like flying animals only require elastic bands and your own force to be catapulted into the sky. Those using technology, however, need batteries or can be recharged with the help of USB cables. Depending on whichever option is convenient for you, make your pick.
- Material: Look for toys made of sturdy and durable material that is also non-toxic and BPA-free so as to ensure maximum safety for your kid. These toys also withstand falls and collisions, giving a long lifespan.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How should I use a flying ball?
A flying or hover ball toy is like a hand-powered drone. To use the flying ball toy, you need to switch on the power button, give it a shake, and then the ball toy is ready to fly.
2. How should I fly a toy plane?
Hand-thrown toy planes are ready to glide once assembled. Remote-controlled planes, on the other hand, require charged batteries for flying. Once fully charged, you can maneuver the toy plane with the help of the remote.
3. At what age can I introduce flying toys to my child?
You can introduce manually propelled flying toys to children as young as three years. And as they reach nine years old, they may require electric-powered and more complex toys. No matter the age, an adult should always be present when children play with flying toys (1).
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose specializes in reviewing toys and games. Her conversational style of writing makes the informative content simple to understand. With her knowledge and research skills, she has screened through numerous trusted websites and product reviews and picked the most attractive, durable, and age-appropriate flying toys for kids. These toys help improve motor skills with increased physical activity and encourage children to play outdoors. Priti has also included a detailed buying guide to help you choose the best toy.
Children and adults alike are fascinated by things that fly, but that excitement even extends to flying toys for children. These toys help distract toddlers and teens from screens and channel their energy into playing. The options for the best flying toys listed here will help your little one develop their fine and gross motor skills through fun and games while motivating them to spend more time outdoors and encouraging physical activity. Playing with these toys can help improve social skills and hand-eye coordination while teaching children the effects of aerodynamics. You should consider choosing the toy based on your child’s interests to ensure they have an amazing time playing with your chosen gift.
Infographic: Points To Consider When Playing With Flying Toys
Besides acquiring the perfect flying toys, adhering to certain general precautions when playing with them is essential to ensure a safe and satisfying experience. So, check out the following infographic to learn about the aspects to consider when playing with these thrilling toys.
- Relating Children’s Ages To Toy Characteristics and Play Behavior