One of the easiest ways to cook a variety of dishes in a short span of time is by investing in a food steamer. Whether you want to cook rice, steam vegetables, or prepare a fresh and delicious batch of juicy dumplings, all you need is a good food steamer for some healthy steamed food.
In this article, you will find a list of the 15 best food steamers, why a food steamer is beneficial, how to use one, and what to look for when buying a countertop steamer. Let’s dive right in.
15 Best Food Steamers
If you thought food steamers are only suitable for cooking rice and steaming vegetables, you would be surprised to learn that it is also a great option to cook a fresh bowl of oats in it for breakfast or even bake a cake. One of the best food steamers, this one comes with a single push-down “Cook” button. After the food is ready, it will automatically switch to “Warm”. Although it looks small in size, it can accommodate up to 6 cups of rice.
- Nonstick inner pot
- Includes an aluminum steel tray
- Comes with a measuring cup and spatula
- Available in red, black, and white
- If the steamer is not turned off after it switches to warm, it may stick to the bottom of the pot.
- The steel tray is not very thick.
Black+Decker needs no introduction as they have their high-quality products to speak for themselves. That is why you can trust this rice and vegetable steamer to blow you away. It is the best choice for a large family or for when you have guests over, this food steamer can cook up to 14 cups of rice. When the food is cooked, it automatically switches to the “Keep Warm” function. The cooking bowl is removable for easy cleaning and is non-stick as well. It also comes with a tempered glass lid, a built-in holder, and a steam vent.
- Available in smaller and larger sizes
- The non-stick bowl is dishwasher-safe
- Large capacity
- Includes a steamer basket
- Includes a dishwasher-safe spatula and measuring cup
- Ready indicator light
- If there is too much water when cooking rice, it tends to seep out.
If you want to buy a steamer for cooking, but you are immediately put off by its bulkiness, you should consider this one. It is a double-tiered electric food steamer that is compact and steams your meals to perfection. You can steam your veggies and your proteins simultaneously and not worry about the smells mingling with each other. It shuts off automatically when a cooking cycle is complete or when the steamer runs out of water.
- Transparent steaming bowls
- Nests easily for storage
- 5 Quart capacity
- Automatic shut-off in 60 minutes
- Not ideal for cooking rice
- As there are no handles on the top of the lid, the heat that escapes when opening it might burn your fingers.
With this versatile stainless steel food steamer and covered saucepot, you can boil, steam, simmer, or heat a variety of foods. This stackable steamer has a thick aluminum core, which allows for rapid heating. The self-basting lid helps to lock in heat and moisture, which helps in even steaming. It also comes with comfortable phenolic handles and bell-shaped stainless steel lids that are perfect for easy handling and avoiding burn accidents. This cooking steamer with a covered saucepot is oven-safe to up to 350°F.
- Elegant mirror finish
- 3 Quart food steamer
- Iconic Faberware handles
- You can use it with or without the steamer insert.
- There are no vents on the lid.
What are you in the mood for today? Some fluffy rice, a hot bowl of cereal, some steamed veggies, or all of them? No matter what you are craving today, this digital steam cooker is perhaps the easiest food steamer to use and will satisfy all your culinary needs. This one-pot solution comes with pre-programmed settings that switch from cooking to steaming foods at the touch of a button and can make upto 8 cups of rice. This non-stick pot is dishwasher-safe and features a countdown timer and a keep-warm function.
- Compact size
- Includes a 2-in-1 steam basket cum rice rinser
- Self-explanatory buttons on the cooker for easy cooking.
- The cooking pot is removable.
- It comes with a measuring cup and serving spatula.
- It is not dual-voltage.
If you are looking for the best vegetable steamer, this 2-tiered food steaming wonder is stackable not just for cooking, but also for easy storage. If you are particularly hungry, you can use both tiers to prepare a larger meal or a single level to satisfy immediate cravings. You can also remove the divider in the center to prepare a large meal. The digital touchpad comes with buttons such as Delay, Cook, and Warm to make your meal experience fuss-free.
- The lid has vents for steam to escape.
- The warm settings run for an hour before turning off.
- The rice bowl and tray are dishwasher-safe.
- Includes a small water reservoir to add extra water.
- When the water level is low, the “Low Water” button turns on.
- It is not dual-voltage.
- The food containers are not dishwasher-safe.
This food steamer comes with 7.4 Quarts of cooking capacity, and the food starts heating in less than 30 seconds. As it is a 2-tiered food steamer, you can use 1 tier to steam your vegetables and the other for meat and fish. It comes with 2 steaming containers, a handy lid, and a grain tray, so that you can cook multiple dishes at a time. These parts are dishwasher-safe as well. It automatically switches off when the food is ready and features a Guess-Free steaming guide on the front of the unit for a hassle-free cooking experience.
- Rotary timer dial
- Water reservoir window
- Steaming baskets dishwasher-safe
- Dishwasher-safe rice cup
- It is not dual-voltage.
- The top-tiered tray is slightly hard to clean.
Stainless steel utensils stand a class apart and are known for their durability and versatility. This cooking steamer is compatible with a gas furnace, an induction stovetop, and a radiant cooktop. It is made of premium-quality 18/8 stainless steel, and the steamer basket comes equipped with an aluminum core, which allows it to distribute heat evenly. A 3-piece steaming set, it comes with a 3 Quart saucepot, inside which the 2 Quart steamer basket fits snugly. This steaming set is also oven-safe for up to 350° F.
- Tight-fitting lids
- The lid has vents.
- The rims help in avoiding any spillage or dripping.
- It can be used for boiling, steaming, and simmering.
- The Bakelite handles stay cool.
- It may not be very easy to clean.
For those with a healthy appetite, this steamer will function as the best vegetable steamer. In this 3-tiered steamer, you can not only steam your veggies and proteins but also cook rice. It comes with 3 steamer baskets and a rice bowl tray that fits perfectly in the first steam tray. On either side of the steamer, you will find small inlets in which you can pour water. It also features a turbo steam ring, which generates steam in less than 40 seconds and speeds up the steaming process.
- BPA-free baskets and rice bowls
- Auto shut-off when water is empty
- Water-level indicator
- Dishwasher-safe baskets and rice bowl
- Built-in egg holder
- Vented lids
- When all 3 tiers are in use, it takes time for the food to get cooked.
- If it is not handled with care, the lettering tends to fade away.
One look at this food steamer will instantly make you realize that it is unlike a food steamer you’ve ever seen before. Your hunt for the best vegetable steamer can end with this one as its unique steam system delivers steam from top to bottom, heating food evenly. It comes with a 5 liter glass cooking pot that can comfortably house not only your favorite vegetables but also meat and fish. It features 5 pre-programmed food settings to cook seafood, grains, and vegetables to perfection, and the water tank is easy to fill and lifts easily. It also comes with an LCD control panel, a sound alert system, along with buttons to start, stop, pause, or reheat.
- 60-minute timer
- 1 L removable water tank
- Stainless steel steaming tray
- Sturdy glass lid
- Some may find it bulky.
- The glass tray has to be handled delicately.
Perhaps the best vegetable steamer in this size, this compact gem will keep you thoroughly satisfied. If you want a no-hassle, low-prep meal that you can make in a few minutes, all you have to do is fill this mini steamer with food, water, and pop it into your microwave. Ideal for 1 or 2 people, it can accommodate up to 2 cups of water, rice or veggies.
- Compact size
- Non-stick surface
- Easy to clean
- Can also be used as a colander
- It takes a lot of time for meat like chicken to steam properly.
With this vegetable electric food steamer, you can prepare a host of different vegetables in one go. You can also steam eggs, meat, and seafood, and enjoy a well-balanced meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This 3-tiered cooking steamer comes with a 60-minute timer (with 15-minute intervals). It can hold up to 7.5 Quarts and can be used with all 3 tiers, or you can use it as 1 or 2 tier steamer.
- Power indicator light
- Auto shut-off when water tank is empty
- Stackable see-through baskets
- Containers are dishwasher-safe
- Cooking time guide is embedded
- It is not dual-voltage.
Ideal for families that don’t have the luxury of too much countertop space, this electric food steamer is versatile, sturdy, and durable. A 2-tiered food steamer, each tier has a 2 Quart capacity. It also comes with a removable steamer tray to allow space for larger items. It features easy-to-use digital timers, and the unit collapses for compact storage.
- 60-minute timer
- The water reservoir is transparent
- Steaming guide on the unit for different kinds of food
- Vented lid
- It doesn’t include a rice tray.
- Some may find this steamer slow.
This food steamer is a 2-tiered one but can also be used as a single layer steamer. A great choice for steaming food, it comes with a removable vent that divides 2 containers. When removed, you can stack a container on top of the other to steam large food items. The steamer features a stainless steel base, and the steamer bowls are sturdy and durable. It also comes with a rice steaming basket.
- 5 Quart capacity
- All removable parts are dishwasher-safe
- Automatic shut-off when water tank is empty
- Steamer bowls are BPA-free
- Steaming time guide embedded on the steamer
- The water level is not visible.
Whether you are preparing a meal for 2 or hosting a dumpling party, this stainless steel steamer will not let you down. It operates at 1200 W and delivers steam from top to down, ensuring that the food is cooked evenly. It comes with 2 stackable containers that have a total capacity of 8.5 Quarts. In these containers, you can steam seafood, poultry, your choice of grains, and vegetables. This steamer is comfortable to hold as it comes with an anti-scalding handle and a non-slip lid knob.
- Generates steam in 15 seconds
- Delay button
- The water level is visible.
- Clean-up is a lengthy process.
Now that we have looked at the 15 best vegetable steamers, let us take a look at how you can choose one for yourself.
A Helpful Buying Guide For The Best Vegetable Steamer
How Does A Food Steamer Work?
A food steamer uses steam to cook food to perfection. If you are using a food steamer, all you have to do is fill water in the pot or the base of the steamer, place your vegetables or proteins in the containers provided and close the lid. The containers sit directly on top of the base filled with water. When you turn on the steamer, the steam remains inside the closed containers, which then cooks the food you have placed in the container.
What Are the Benefits Of Steamed Food?
- Retains the nutritional value of food items
- Steamed food lowers cholesterol
- No need of oil to cook food
- Keeps food items fresh by retaining moisture
- Softens up food rich in fiber for easy digestion
What To Look For In A Good Food Steamer?
- Consider buying a food steamer that won’t break the bank, but steer clear from cheaply-made ones. There are some exceptions when it comes to this, but if you have a single doubt, keep it back on the shelf. Keep an eye out for the best option.
- A good food steamer comes with multiple levels to accommodate as much food as possible. Look for one that comes with tier dividers and a rice tray.
- It is also important to think of your safety. Look for one that shuts off automatically in 60 minutes when the water runs out.
- Another great feature to look for is the “Keep Warm” function. Once the steaming process is complete, the steamer will automatically switch functions to keep your food warm.
- Buying a food steamer with a ventilated lid is important, not only because it cooks food properly, but also so that you don’t burn your fingers when opening the lid.
- Cleaning up a food steamer can be hard work, especially since they come with so many parts. If you dislike doing the dishes, look for one with dishwasher-safe parts.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to clean a food steamer?
Step 1: Allow the steamer to cool down completely.
Step 2: Remove any food particles left inside the steamer containers.
Step 3: Fill your sink with water and dish soap.
Step 4: Soak the containers in the water.
Step 5: While the containers are soaking, take a wet cloth and wipe off the steamer unit. Make sure you don’t get any water in the cord or the buttons.
Step 6: Wash the containers gently.
Step 7: Let the unit dry.
Turn into a Masterchef overnight with the help of a good food steamer. Now you can steam dumplings, chicken, fish, vegetables, and much more at the touch of a button with a food steamer by your side. We hope that you have found your pick from the list of the 15 best vegetable steamers here. Let us know which dish you cook the most in your food steamer.