If your baby has been experiencing stomach-related issues, such as gas, it’s because their digestive system has not fully developed yet. They may also accidentally swallow some air while crying or nursing (1). If the issue is with food, the best formula for gassy babies may help resolve it and make them feel better.
Some infants might be sensitive to specific formulas or even the breastfeeding mother’s diet. The baby formulas listed here are specifically created to alleviate gas in babies and make them more comfortable. Take a look.
Our Top Picks
Tips To Use Baby Formula Safely
To ensure safety when using a formula for babies, you must also:
- Check the expiry date of the formula
- Wash the bottles and containers properly after every feed
- Read ingredients on the pack, follow the quantity guidelines
- Check if your little one is experiencing any allergy symptoms such as constipation, diarrhea, or burping after consuming the formula.
Most importantly, consult the pediatrician before giving your baby any formula.
9 Best Formula for Gassy Babies
1. Best For Brain Development: Similac Pro-Advance Infant Formula
The brand claims it as the first infant formula with 2’-FL HM, which is known to be ideal for eye and brain development. It doesn’t contain artificial growth hormones and makes a trusted composition to reduce gassiness and fussiness in babies. Induced with the goodness of nutrients found in breast milk, this non-GMO milk-based infant formula can help support the little one’s immunity.
- Prebiotic composition
- Supports eye and brain development
- Reduces gassiness and helps in cell development
- Includes vitamin E, Lutein, and DHA
- Plastic packaging may have a smell
2. Best Digestible: Enfamil NeuroPro Gentlease Baby Formula
The Gentlease baby formula from the Enfamil provides milk protein in broken-down particles, which is easier for babies to digest. The non-GMO, fat-protein blend of MFGM and DHA is known to be a reliable formula for gassy fussy babies curated with lesser amounts of lactose. It is easy to digest and provides dual prebiotics and proteins for improved immune health. Here’s a video featuring a detailed review of the product.
- Includes contents of breast milk
- Blend of 30 different nutrients
- Strengthens the immune system
- Eases fussiness and gas within 24 hours
- Supports brain building
- May have a strong smell
- May taste bitter
3. Best For Lactose Sensitivity: Similac Pro-Sensitive Infant Formula
Bring home the pro-sensitive formula for gassy babies enriched with 2’-FL human milk oligosaccharide and suitable to ease gas and fussiness due to lactose sensitivity. The blend of Lutein, DHA, and Vitamin E is close to the breast milk ingredients, which is essential for the little one’s overall health.
- Supports brain and eye development
- Helps in developing immunity
- Free of palm olein oil
- Contains no artificial growth hormones
- Requires to be refrigerated once opened
- Does not work for babies with galactosemia
4. Best Organic Formula: Earth’s Best Organic Gentle Infant Powder Formula
The organic formula from Earth’s Bestis made with partially hydrolyzed proteins. Theformula is designed keeping in mind the sensitive stomach issues of babies, such as gas and fussiness for the first twelve months. Induced with DHA and ARA, it is said to be effective in supporting eye and brain development.
- Contains two fatty acids found in breast milk
- Fortified with iron for RBC development
- Includes prebiotic fiber for developing immunity
- Easy-to-digest and non-GMO formulation
- Contains palm oil
5. Best For Constipation: Gerber Good Start Soothe (HMO) Non-GMO Powder Infant Formula
Formulated to treat fussiness and gas in babies due to colic and digestive issues, the Gerber infant powder provides soothing nutrition. It contains Human Milk Oligosaccharide, which is a prebiotic found in breast milk. Matching the nutrition profile of mother’s milk, the powder is known to be an ideal formula to treat gas and constipation by improving good bacteria to promote soft stools.
- Non-GMO and easy-to-digest
- Closest to breast milk
- Wholesome supplement with DHA
- Supports microbiome
- Reduces 50% crying time
- May not dissolve in water easily
- Comes with an over sized scoop
6. Best Taste: Earth’s Best Organic Low Lactose Sensitivity Infant Formula
Created for sensitive tummies, this milk-based organic formula can be given for gassy babies aged one to 12 months. It is a reduced-lactose powder with no preservatives and artificial flavors. Enriched with Lutein, Omega-3 DHA, and Omega-6ARA, it is suitable to boost overall immunity and treat fussiness and gas in babies.
- Free from antibiotics and steroids
- Promotes eye and brain development
- Contains fortified iron
- Includes prebiotics for easier digestion
- Good to taste
- Contains corn syrup and vegetable oil
- May require thorough mixing to avoid lumps
7. Best Hypoallergenic: Gerber Good Start Baby Formula Powder
If your little one has a cow milk protein allergy, this is the most recommended baby formula as it has 100% whey protein as the main ingredient. When broken down into bits, the powder becomes easy to digest, reducing gassiness and taking care of your baby’s nourishment needs. The hydrolyzed formula is designed with a unique oil blend to promote healthy gut behavior, helping your child feel comfortable after mealtime.
- Helps promote brain development
- Might leave an oily residue on the bottle
8. Best For Immunity: Amazon Brand Mama Bear Sensitivity Milk-Based Powder
Induced with the goodness of 2’-FL HMO, this sensitivity formulation is pretty close to breast milk. This low-lactose milk-based powder meets FDA nutritional and quality standards and is available in two sizes, 1.41oz and 12oz. The brand claims to offer complete nutrition for the baby’s first year of development.
- Supports growth and development
- Boosts immunity
- Non-GMO and easy-to-digest
- Doesn’t contain artificial growth hormones
- Induced with iron
- Contains corn syrup
- May cause constipation
9. Best Nutrient-Rich: Amazon Brand – Mama Bear Gentle Infant Formula
Enriched with DHA, minerals, and vitamins, this baby formula for gassy babies is made with cow’s milk protein partially broken into smaller parts. It is closer to breast milk and available in two sizes, 1.34oz and 12oz. Designed to provide complete nutrition to infants aged up to 12 months, this formulation is rich in iron, protein, and carbohydrates.
- Supports growth and development
- Non-GMO and meets FDA standards
- Easier on infant’s tummies
- Reduces gas, fussiness, and crying
- Includes iron
- Contains corn syrup
Reasons Your Baby Might Be Gassy
Here are a few reasons that may lead to gassiness in babies(2).
- Feeding position: It is usual for babies to gulp air as they suck milk, but some feeding positions can cause them to gulp more air. While feeding the baby, maintain an angle of 30 to 45° as this would help them take more milk and less air.
- Bottles: Baby bottles can also be responsible for gassiness. When the bottle’s opening is large, the seal between the baby’s mouth and the nipple is weak, and this causes the baby to gulp more air. Therefore, it is always better to buy a bottle with a smaller opening or go with the one designed to prevent gas.
- Mother’s diet: Sometimes, mothers eat heavy-to-digest foods, affecting the baby’s digestion as their digestive system is not completed developed.
- Lactose intolerance: It is another common reason for bloated stomachs. It is essential to check your baby’s tolerance towards lactose from a doctor and then switch to a lactose-free formula.
How To Choose The Right Formula For Gassy Babies?
It can be difficult to find the best formula for fussy constipated babies when you have little or no knowledge. Here are a few essential points to consider when buying a milk-based formula for your baby.
- Baby’s age: Baby’s nutritional requirements vary with age. Check the product labels to know the relevant details on age before choosing the right one.
- Nutrition: Always look for the nutrients present in the formulation. Make sure the formula includes DHA, vitamins, and minerals to fulfill our baby’s nutritional requirements. Also, make sure the formula is free from preservatives and artificial substances.
- Presence of prebiotics and probiotics: These two components help in better digestion and reduce the gassiness, fussiness, and crying of the baby.
- Allergies: It is essential to know if your baby is allergic to any ingredient. For instance, some babies are allergic to lactose. To prevent gassiness, it is always recommended to get a lactose-free formula.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What type of bottle is best for the gassy baby?
Anti-colic bottles make the best feeding bottles for babies, especially those who suffer from gassiness.
2. Will my baby get gassy if I eat certain foods?
Yes. Consuming whey protein products and dairy products,such as ice cream, cheese, and yogurt,could cause gassiness in babies.
Though gassiness is a common problem with infants, feeding the right formula for gassy babies can prevent discomfort and crying. There are various formulations designed keeping in mind the causes of gassing to ensure a wholesome and nutritious diet for babies. With the best baby formula for gassy babies shared in this post, you can pick a formulation that meets the needs of your little one.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna writes on baby products and electronics for MomJunction. A certified writer, with special prowess in informative content, she enjoys learning new things to curate well-researched articles for our readers. Her experience as a mother adds value to her articles on baby products and wellness. She recommends the Enfamil NeuroPro Gentlease Baby Formula, which is easy to digest and suitable for gassy children. It is rich in nutrients and can strengthen your child’s immune system.
2. Abdominal Gas and Colic; British Columbia Health Link (2018)