Many women are switching to fragrance-free shampoos these days. It is often because a strong fragrance can cause a headache and increase the chances of an allergic reaction. Keeping the same in mind, we have included a list of the best fragrance-free shampoos.
While many women still might love fragrances in shampoos such as fruity or mild ones, others might prefer fragrance-free ones. Read this post to know the various popular fragrance-free shampoos you may consider for yourself.
10 Best Fragrance-Free Shampoo
1. Best Overall: The Honest Company Purely Simple Fragrance-Free Shampoo
Gone are the days when you would have to carry separate bottles of shampoo and body wash to the shower. This allergy-tested fragrance-free shampoo is so mild and gentle that it can be used as both shampoo as well as a body wash. This gentle cleansing shampoo is dermatologist-tested and made from naturally derived ingredients, making it suitable for babies as well as adults. Take a look at this review video to get more information on the product.
- Does not weigh down the hair
- Tear-free formula cleans the scalp without drying it excessively
- Hypoallergenic shampoo is suitable for people with sensitive skin
- Easy to rinse-off and does not leave any residue
- Free of parabens, phthalates, dyes, synthetic fragrances, formaldehyde donors, and SLES
- Not tested on animals
- Pricey for the quantity offered
2. Best Fragrance-Free Shampoo: Earth Science Fragrance-Free Shampoo
Enriched with mild coconut-based cleansers, this shampoo helps maintain the good health of the hair and scalp. This tried-and-tested shampoo also contains a blend of wheat germ, jojoba, and chamomile that can help replenish hair and make it soft and smooth.
- This fragrance-free shampoo is suitable for sensitive skin and hair
- Infused with natural emollients, it helps protect natural oils
- This vegan formula is free of paraben and is not tested on animals
- Contains sulfates
- The concentrated ingredients can cause the scalp to sting a little
3. Best For Sensitive Scalp: Desert Essence Fragrance-Free Shampoo
If your sensitive scalp does not seem to be impressed by any shampoo, you can try this Desert Essence’s fragrance-free shampoo. It is formulated especially for sensitive scalp. It contains organic extracts and oils that moisturize and strengthen hair. Check out this scalp care product review video showcasing a tester’s experience for more information.
- Organic green tea helps make the hair glossy and shiny
- Kelp and nettle extracts fortify hair with iron, calcium, potassium, essential vitamins, and minerals
- Aloe extracts help soothe the irritated scalp
- Jojoba seed oil replenishes and smoothens hair
- Vegan formula is free of phosphates, wheat, and gluten
- Does not contain parabens, SLS, silicones, EDTA, glycol, or ingredients containing petroleum
- Not tested on animals
- Formula can cause scalp dryness
4. Best Gentle Shampoo: Naturelle Hypo-Allergenic Fragrance-Free Shampoo
If you are looking for a relatively gentle and safe shampoo, then Naturelle’s dermatologist-recommended and clinically tested shampoo might be the one for you. Its professional-grade yet mild formula gently clears out skin impurities and leaves the hair feeling and looking healthy.
- Hypoallergenic formula suitable for sensitive skin
- Mild shampoo can be used regularly
- Free of harsh ingredients, such as synthetic perfume or fragrance
- May have a slightly unpleasant smell
5. Best For Scalp: Pharmaceutical Specialties Free & Clear Hair Shampoo
Suitable for all hair types, this shampoo is most suited for sensitive scalp. This dermatologically tested shampoo helps clear out build-up from hair products to keep the scalp clean and healthy. The affordable shampoo helps make hair clean, soft, and manageable. This video review will help you learn more about the product.
- Keeps the scalp oil-free
- Helps tackle flaking and scaling
- Does not contain Cocamidopropyl betaine
- Mild formula, free of preservatives, protein, sulfate, phosphate, and gluten
- May dry out hair
- Not suitable for colored or dyed hair
6. Best For Color-Treated Hair: Paula’s Choice All Over Hair And Body Shampoo
If you are looking for a fragrance-free shampoo that’s suitable for dyed hair, then this nourishing two-in-one shampoo and body wash by Paula’s Choice can be a good choice. Its gentle formulation makes it ideal for those with sensitive skin. Further, the shampoo’s formula is enriched with coconut-based cleansers, pro-vitamin B5, and aloe vera to nourish and hydrate the hair and provide visible results in the form of healthier looking locks.
- Suitable for all hair types
- Lathers well
- Leaves no residue
- Cruelty-free and vegan
- May not be sulfate-free
- May not be moisturizing enough
7. Best Anti-Frizz: Nurture My Body Moisturizing Shampoo
Made with 13 organic ingredients, this shampoo helps control frizz and tackles conditions that lead to split-ends. It contains natural ingredients that help rejuvenate hair and keep it healthy and manageable.
- Coconut oil moisturizes the hair
- Seaweed extract makes the hair shiny
- Suitable for color-treated or even damaged hair
- Not tested on animals
- Free of parabens, SLS, petrochemicals, and other harsh detergents
- Could be pricey for the quantity offered
8. Best For Color-Treated Hair: Jason Fragrance-Free Shampoo
Fortified with aloe vera and vitamin B5, Jason’s fragrance-free shampoo cleanses the hair and maintains its natural moisture levels. This results-driven soothing shampoo also adds shine to the hair and makes it more manageable.
- Helps soothe irritated scalp
- Suitable for colored hair too
- Free of parabens, SLS, and phthalates
- Shampoo may not lather well
- May not suit extremely sensitive skin
9. DHS Clear Shampoo: DHS Clear Shampoo
Finding a good shampoo for hypersensitive can be a real challenge. But worry not. Here is something for you. This pH-balanced, professional-grade shampoo specially addresses skin conditions such as dandruff, psoriasis, eczema, and seborrheic dermatitis.
- Helps maintain skin’s pH level
- Cleanses and rejuvenates hair
- Suitable for all hair types
- Contains sulfates
10. Best Plant-Based: Phillip Adam Fragrance-Free Shampoo
The gentle, sulfate-free, and fragrance-free shampoo by Phillip Adam is specially formulated with plant-based ingredients for people with sensitive skin and allergies. This paraben-free and hydrating shampoo nourishes and cleanses without stripping away the natural oils, making it an ideal option for all hair types.
- Helps maintain the skin’s pH level
- Removes toxin buildup from hair and scalp
- Reduces frizz and restores the hair’s natural shine
- Nourishes and hydrates the scalp and hair
- Cruelty-free and vegan-friendly
- May not lather well
- Might leave a greasy residue
Benefits Of Fragrance-Free Shampoos
Certain chemicals, which you find in the ingredients list of shampoos, create the ‘fragrance.’ However, this blend of chemicals may cause unwanted allergies and other skin reactions.
Fragrance-free shampoos do not contain these chemicals and are preferred by those with a sensitive scalp or skin allergies. Even those who wish to reduce the use of synthetic chemicals in their daily products can try these shampoos .
A fragrance-free shampoo will still have a subtle or mild fragrance, but it is a natural scent not due to added fragrances or perfumes. The natural fragrance is also not very prominent or overpowering.
Common benefits of these fragrance-free shampoos are mentioned next.
- Prevent skin irritation caused due to chemicals present in synthetic fragrances.
- Chances of causing dry, itchy scalp, or dandruff are fewer.
- Fewer chemicals mean milder formula that may not lighten color-treated hair.
- It may not aggravate already existing scalp conditions.
How To Choose The Right Fragrance-Free Shampoos For Healthy Hair?
If you are looking for a fragrance-free shampoo for healthy hair, check out the below points to choose the right one.
- Ingredients: Ensure the shampoo doesn’t contain harsh chemicals, including artificial fragrances, colorants, sulfates, parabens, and phthalates. It should be allergen-free and include plant-based, clinically proven natural ingredients for healthy growth.
- Safety: Consider choosing dermatologically tested or expert-recommended shampoos for optimal safety. Look for mild, gentle formulations to nourish your hair.
- pH level: When looking for shampoos for sensitive skin, make sure the product is scientifically formulated and has a balanced pH or is not alkaline, because these qualities make a product the least drying and most compatible with skin and hair.
- Hair type: Ensure the shampoo suits your hair type and texture to meet your hair needs. While most shampoos are suitable for all hair types, some hair-specific products may produce better results.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag is a product writer who focuses on fashion, cosmetics, hair, and skincare products. She has compiled a list of the best fragrance-free shampoos for women using her knowledge in hair care and cosmetic products. Because of the strong odor, many customers get headaches and even allergic responses sometimes. Therefore, based on her thorough evaluation of multiple products, she has curated this list of irritation-free shampoos and provided a detailed description of each product. She has also discussed the advantages of using fragrance-free shampoos, provided buying advice, and answered a few questions to help you choose the right shampoo for your hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is fragrance-free shampoo better than other shampoos?
Not necessarily. The effectiveness of shampoo is based entirely on its ingredients. Fragrance-free does not mean it will be more effective than other chemical shampoos. It might work like any other shampoo, but as it is chemical-free, it might not have the pleasant fragrance that most shampoos generally have.
2. Is fragrance-free the same as unscented?
No. Fragrance in products is usually made of mineral oils or synthetic chemicals. So, when a product claims to be fragrance-free, it basically means that the formula does not contain those chemicals that make fragrance. But that does not mean the product will not smell. It will still have a smell of its ingredients.
Unscented means that the product has no smell whatsoever. But, to achieve this ‘no smell’ status, the product has to be loaded with chemicals that will neutralize or eliminate the natural smell of the ingredients.
Switching to fragrance-free shampoos is not only good for your scalp as it significantly reduces the risk of allergic reactions but can also save you from headaches caused by overpowering scents. But before making the swap, it is essential you take into consideration factors such as the ingredients and your hair type. Besides, ensure that your fragrance-free shampoo is not loaded with harmful chemicals such as parabens, phthalates, and dyes that may cause severe damage to your scalp, hair, and even skin.
Infographic: How To Use Fragrance-Free Shampoos?
A fragrance-free shampoo is devoid of harmful chemicals and is believed to be a safer and healthier choice for people. However, to reap the maximum benefits of these shampoos, you must know how to use them. Here is an infographic that will take you through a step-by-step process of using fragrance-free shampoos.