If you’re looking to organize your kitchen, fridge, or freezer space, then the best glass storage containers will make your job a lot easier. They are an ideal choice for many reasons. They are durable, stain-resistant, versatile, and don’t absorb odors. Moreover, glass containers are one step towards sustainable living. Listed here are some of the best tried-and-tested options that you can choose from.
13 Best Glass Food Storage Containers For Your Kitchen In 2024
1. Best No-Warp: FineDine Airtight Glass Food Storage Containers
FineDine’s 24-piece container set is made of borosilicate transparent glass that withstands rapid temperature changes. The containers do not warp or crack, making them suitable for cooking and storing food. It’s completely safe to go straight from the freezer to the oven. Since glass containers do not retain stains or odors, they are ideal for storing acidic foods.
The hinged-lids technology enables easy opening and closing of the tops and is easy to clean. They are dishwasher-safe (excluding the lids), leak-proof, and stackable. Check out the detailed review of the glass food container set in this video.
- Air-tight rubber gasket
- BPA-free plastic lids
- Ideal for gym, pool, and work
- Containers nest inside, providing compact storage
- Some closing latches may not withstand rough use
- Lids may be hard to snap
"I've used these glass containers for over a year and never experienced a breakage. Though smaller than expected, their quality and sturdiness are undeniable. The fact that they keep my berries fresh longer and significantly help during transitions from plastic to glass storage is a plus. Nonetheless, they are a fantastic, easy-to-clean addition to my kitchen."
2. Best Leakproof:Rubbermaid Brilliance Glass Storage Containers
Thoughtfully crafted and designed to keep your food fresh, the Rubbermaid brings you a pack of four glass containers. The leakproof containers are space-efficient and ideal for stacking and keeping your refrigerators and kitchen cabinets organized. The StainShield material clear lids are stain and odor-resistant and have built-in vents to allow splatter-free microwave heating and cooking, whenever you desire.
- Top rack dishwasher-friendly
- oven-safe up to 450℉
- Clasps may loosen over time
- Lids may not be crack-resistant
"These containers have been perfect for packing lunch and marinating food. Its snap-on lids make it easy to keep the food fresh for a long time, and the dishwasher-friendly features come in handy for washing its multiple crevices. Plus, the stackable design is much loved."
3. Best Multiple Sizes:Amazon Basics Glass Storage Containers
This set of seven borosilicate glass meal prep containers By Amazon Basics comes in rectangular and round shapes in various sizes, making it a versatile solution for storing all kinds of meals. The variety of shapes and sizes allows you to easily carry them in your office bag and store them neatly in your fridge. The locking lid, though made of high-grade plastic, has a silicone gasket ring to prevent unwanted spillover.
- Non-porous glass base
- Does not absorb stains or odors
- Top rack dishwasher-safe
- BPA-free lids
- Lids do not have vents for microwave heating
- Glass may not be chip-resistant
"These glass containers have outperformed my earlier plastic boxes. Although their blue seal needs to be removed for proper drying, it's a manageable step. I have not experienced any issue of food or curry leakage so far, which is a big plus."
4. Best Multi-Purpose: Pyrex Glass Food Storage Containers
The rectangular containers from Pyrex can be used for various purposes, including storage, baking, serving, cooking, and microwaving. These are suitable for storing food in the refrigerator, freezer, and carrying food outdoors. The glass is non-porous and does not absorb food odors, colors, or stains. The lids are made in the USA, and the bowls are made in Turkey, Egypt, and the USA. This 18-piece set is a combination of smaller and larger containers and comes with a two-year warranty. This video review showcasing a tester’s experience can help you understand the product better.
- BPA-free lids
- Smooth surface
- Thick glass
- Easy to clean
- May not have a silicone gasket
- Some lids may be flimsy
"I found this set very practical as it includes containers of different sizes and shapes, which allows me to use the one that matches the amount of leftovers I have. And the microwave and dishwasher-safe nature has been very convenient."
5. Best Fast-Heating: Bayco Food Storage Containers
The 24-piece glass food storage container set is BPA-free and leak-proof, ensuring that the food remains fresh and odorless. It’s made of borosilicate glass that allows fast heating and long-term use.
These containers are oven-safe below 752°F. They are refrigerator- and microwave-safe, excluding the lids. The tops can be washed in the dishwasher, but exposure to extreme temperatures for an extended period can deform the silicone sealing strip at the lid’s edge.
- Snap-lock system
- Break- and crack-resistant lid latches
- Smooth edges
- Rubber seal may not withstand rough use
- Size of the container may not be as expected
"These glass containers have come in handy while storing leftover food and snacks. While closure sometimes poses a bit of difficulty, the food stays fresh longer, which has made the set perfect for storage, freezing, and even serving. And the best part is that it includes containers of different shapes and sizes."
6. Best Airtight Bamboo Lids: Sweetzer & Orange Whoosh ‘n’ Pop Glass Storage Containers
Whoosh ‘n’ Pop jars are airtight, practical, and provide convenient storage. The set has four jars useful for multiple purposes. These unique jars come in different sizes of 3.9 inches, 5.9 inches, 7.9 inches, and 11 inches, suitable for storing coffee, sugar, spices, nuts, whole grains, flours, and cookies. The bamboo lids are airtight. You can hear a distinctive “whoosh” sound and the well-known “pop!” sound released by the airtight seal as the lid is placed on the top.
The vintage-style containers with lids are made of borosilicate glass, 0.12-inch thick, and are BPA- and lead-free. These jars are refrigerator- and dishwasher-safe but cannot be used for cooking. If you like to collect stylish and retro containers for your kitchen, this may be a suitable addition to your collectibles.
- Powerful suction rubber seal
- Easy to clean
- Keeps food fresh for a long time
- Durable glass
- May be smaller in size than expected
- Opening may not be wide enough
"I received my first set as a wedding gift and decided we needed more. These are easy to open, lightweight, and easy to clean. Plus, they look great and add an elegant touch to my pantry!"
7. Best With Rounded Corners:M Mcirco Glass Containers
The expert-approved airtight glass containers by M Mcicro are ideal for meal preparation for picnics, office lunches, travel, gyms, or any events. The rectangular size and rounded corners allow you to stack them up to save your kitchen space easily. These glass containers for meal prep also feature efficient snap-locking lids with silicone seals that ensure no food leaks out and spoils your bag. The seal is also removable, which facilitates easy cleaning.
- Removable gasket
- Oven- and microwave-safe
- BPA-free lids
- Snaps may be tight
- Lids may not be crack-resistant
"I've been using these containers since April for my lunch, and they deliver in terms of reliability and ease of cleaning. The silicone beading is challenging to remove during washing, but it also offers a watertight seal, which keeps my meals and vegetables fresh. Hence, despite the minor inconvenience, they have been a worthy purchase."
8. Best Spill-Proof: Razab HomeGoods Large Glass Storage Container
The large, 112oz storage container by Razab HomeGoods comes with a locking lid. Made of high-grade material, this tried-and-tested borosilicate glass container is multipurpose and can be used as bakeware and a storage container. The lid is made of BPA-free silicone and is not microwave- or oven-safe.
The non-toxic glass container is easy to close, airtight, and spill-proof. It can withstand heat of up to 980°F and thermal shock of up to 248°F. Its square shape takes up less room in the refrigerator.
- Minimalistic design
- Keeps food cool and warm longer
- Keeps the food odorless
- Burr-free edges
- Size of some containers may not be as expected
- Lid may crack due to rough use
"Preparing and storing large meals has become a breeze, all thanks to these containers. They have been marvelous for various uses, from stashing half a large watermelon to keeping a baked chicken warm. Although slightly heavy, the freezer and microwave-safe nature outshine that minor inconvenience. All in all, it's an excellent space-efficient addition to my kitchen."
9. Best BPA-Free: Ello Duraglass Food Container
Ello duraglass BPA-free food containers are protected with thick silicone sleeves to help prevent chips and cracks and have matching, leak-proof lids. Available in a set of five, these containers have a maximum capacity of 3.4 cups. They are odor-free, stain-free, and transparent, making them a valuable addition to your kitchen.
They are safe to use in the oven and microwave, without the lid, and can be heated up to 425°F. The set is suitable for freezer storage and you can wash both the pieces in the top rack of the dishwasher. There’s no need to remove the silicone sleeve while cleaning.
- Safe to stack with lids on
- Air-tight locking lids
- Easy to snap
- Keeps food fresh
- Lids may not be long-lasting
- Rubber grip may pop
"These colorful containers serve their purpose well, and besides being leak-proof, their unique design makes my fridge look vibrant. The silicone cover can get quite hot in the microwave, but it's manageable. Apart from this minor hiccup, they continue to serve me well."
10. Best With Divided Departments:Fit & Fresh Glass Storage Containers
Available in a pack of three as well as five glass containers, this storage solution by Fit & Fresh is all you need to keep your refrigerator organized. You can use a single container to store multiple dishes or use it as a lunch box, as it has divided compartments that keep foods separated. You can also use these versatile and contemporary glass meal prep containers for packing and storing lunches, dinners, or leftovers.
- Airtight seal
- Non-toxic and BPA-free material
- Four locking tabs
- Microwave- and oven-safe
- Lids are not oven-safe
- Compartments may have a gap
"These compact boxes have made meal-prepping more feasible. They keep food fresh and, thankfully, feature sturdy lids capable of withstanding daily use. The best part about them is that they are both microwave- and oven-safe, which makes it easy to cook and heat meals when I am in a rush."
11. Best Stain-Resistant:Urban Green Glass Containers
These glass containers come in five different sizes to make your storage and kitchen space efficient. They feature eco-friendly bamboo lids that are strong, durable, and chemical-free. The aesthetic containers with lids are made of borosilicate glass, which resists stains, is nonporous, and keeps germs or smells at bay. They are extremely useful as bento boxes, easily microwavable, and can be used in an oven. Moreover, with their modern design, these temperature-resistant glasswares can even ace the test of aesthetics.
- 100% plastic- and BPA-free
- Non-reactive glass
- Easy to stack
- Can resist extreme temperatures up to 600F
- Versatile and durable
- May be heavy
- Bamboo may be prone to developing mold
"I am fond of these sturdy, microwave-safe glass containers for their easy maintenance and better organization of snacks. However, the bamboo lids need a thorough cleaning as they can retain smell otherwise. Despite that minor hassle, their durability and versatility have kept me hooked."
12. Best Silicone Seal: JoyJolt JoyFul Glass Storage Containers
Made of borosilicate glass, these storage containers by JoyJolt are ideal for storing food items and groceries. They come with home expert-preferred BPA-free lids and are easy to clean. These sophisticated glass containers with lids are dishwasher-safe and come in square, rectangular, and round shapes. You can also keep the food fresh and odor-free as it does not allow air to pass through the lids. They are designed to resists temperature from -104℉ to 104℉ and they can go safely from oven to freezer without breaking. These glass containers with lids feature various latch colors to suit your preferences.
- Secure hinge clips
- Airtight silicone seal
- Leak-proof design
- May not be chip-resistant
- Containers may be a bit small for some
"The best part about these containers is their borosilicate construction, which has kept them intact despite a few falls. Plus, the lids snap on with ease and provide me the assurance of leakproof storage."
13. Best With Air Vents:Vtopmart Glass Food Storage Containers
Vtopmart brings to you a set of eight borosilicate glass food storage containers that can resist -4℉ to 752℉ temperature range. Designed to be leakproof and spillproof with four hinge snaplock lids and removable silicone seals, this temperature-resistant glassware keeps your food fresh and intact for a long day of work and travel. The lids also have built-in air vents to help put them on after refrigeration. These leakproof containers are made of food-grade material that resists stains even when you store curries.
- BPA-free plastic
- Microwave- and oven-safe
- Stackable design
- May be difficult to open
- May be smaller than expected
"The quality of these containers is pretty commendable, and the tight-sealing lids keep my lunches from leaking into my bag. Its lids are the same color, which makes it tricky to find the right one, but that's a minor inconvenience. They are also freezer-safe, allowing me to store homemade ice creams."
How To Choose The Right Glass Food Storage Container?
You may want to consider these factors before buying a glass food storage container.
1. Airtight seal: Expert-approved containers with airtight seals help keep moisture and pests out, preventing bacterial contamination of the food. It also prevents leaking or spilling.
2. Type of glass: Tempered glass storage containers last longer and are more durable than standard glass. You can use them directly on the stove, microwave, and oven. If that wasn’t enough, most are freezer-friendly too.
3. Stackability: If you have limited storage space, pick square-shaped containers that fit tightly together or choose stackable glass containers to save space.
4. Dishwasher-safe: Storage containers should be dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I store food in a glass container?
Take a clean, dry glass container and place your food inside it. Then, tightly close the lid so that your food doesn’t get soggy.
2. How should I sterilize glass food storage containers?
Here are two ways to sterilize glass storage containers.
- In the oven- Preheat the oven to 266°F before sterilizing the glassware. Any higher, and the glass will shatter. Place a double layer of newspaper on a baking sheet and arrange the glassware (and lids) on top, ensuring the jars don’t touch each other. Place the baking pan in the center of the oven, close the door, and bake the jars for 20 minutes. Using oven mitts, remove the glassware from the oven a few minutes before filling the jars. Place them on a folded tea towel or a heat-proof mat.
- In the dishwasher- If your dishwasher has a high-temperature setting of 176°F or a steam function, place the glassware in the machine, run a hot rinse cycle, and fill the jars after the cycle is over. You can also soak the containers in hot water to sterilize them.
3. Do glass containers keep food fresh for longer?
Glass containers are non-porous and will not retain the stains or odors of the items stored in them. Therefore, they are suitable for preserving various foods, especially those with a strong color or odor. They also help keep the food clean, fresh, and flavorful for longer.
4. Can glass food storage containers go in the oven and freezer?
Yes, glass food containers can safely be used in ovens and freezers, but ensure the container is microwave- and freezer-safe. Moreover, drastic temperature changes should be avoided while using these glass containers.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Choosing the right glass food storage container for your kitchen can be challenging. Wedetso Chirhah, our experienced kitchen product writer, has compiled a comprehensive list to assist you in making the best choice for your kitchen. These containers come in various shapes and sizes. They also include sections to separate your food items. In the buying guide section, Wedetso has added essential factors and aspects you should consider before selecting the right storage container for your kitchen.
The best glass food storage containers help store your food in a clean, hygienic space while protecting you against harmful chemicals. The adjustability of glass containers in various temperatures is another feature that makes them an essential kitchen accessory, allowing your shelves and refrigerator to look more modern and organized. The options listed above come with multiple boxes in a single set. They are available in a variety of sizes, shapes, colors, and capacities, so you can keep different dishes airtight and ensure they don’t get spoiled for a significant period of time.
Infographic: How To Clean Glass Food Containers?
Glass food containers are an eco-friendly choice for your storage needs while offering convenience and durability. It is essential to clean them properly to maintain their quality and prevent stains, scratches, and cracks. Explore the infographic below to learn how to carefully clean glass food containers.
- Questions & Answers on Bisphenol A (BPA) Use in Food Contact Applications
- Best Freezer Containers For Food
- Best Baby Food Storage Containers
- Best Refrigerator Organizer Bins
- Best Salad Containers