Ordinary glues won’t work that well if you are trying to attach leather surfaces. Leather is a dense texture and is also semi-porous, making it difficult for glues to be effective. The best glue for leather would need to be specially designed to work on any difficult leather surface.
To help you find the best glue for leather, we list some of the best glues for leather available.
Types Of Leather Glues
Leather is a porous material; hence, you need to pick glue that is suitable to bind it firmly. Here, we discuss the different kinds of glues suitable for use on leather.
- Cyanoacrylate glue: Commonly known as superglue, it is great for small and quick repairs. It is a runny fluid that sticks as soon as it comes in contact with the material.
- Contact cement: This type of glue has strong adhesive properties. The glue is typically used for hard-bound materials, such as tiles. This type of glue has a thick viscosity and is often used to bind leather permanently.
- Polyvinyl acetate glue: Polyvinyl acetate glue is water-based and non-toxic. It can be cleaned or removed while still wet. This type of glue takes a little longer to dry and is perfect for projects where you need to bind the leather pieces temporarily.
Top Products From Our List
11 Best Glues For Leather
Barely glue for leather can be used for different art and craft purposes as it offers a strong hold. The glue kit is equipped with multiple-sized tips to give you different choices of application. The smooth glue dries clear, prevents clumping, wrinkles, and cracking, and is non-toxic and water-resistant. Its precision tips allow you to control the flow of the glue. Moreover, you can use this all year round as it thaws if frozen.
Do you have torn leather shoes lying around your house? Mend them using the Barge all-purpose cement rubber leather bonding glue. The ready-to-use glue works well for car doors, windows, weather stripping, wall brackets, shoe repairs, and more. This small 2oz tube contains professional-quality glue that can be used at home for multiple purposes. The glue has a clear consistency and is strong enough for shoe-repair works.
The Tear Mender adhesive is a glue for fabric and leather crafted to create an instant durable bond. The water-based formula takes just three minutes to stick firmly and is washable in 15 minutes. Moreover, it is a non-toxic formula crafted with natural latex and is free of acids. The flexible, UV-resistant, and waterproof glue comes in a 16oz bottle and is designed for use both indoors and outdoors. It gives quick results and creates a long-lasting bond once applied.
Here’s another all-purpose glue from Barge. The formula is ideal for repairing car doors, windows, shoes, leather goods, and more and also works with cotton, leather, synthetic, polyurethane, and woven fabric. The glue cement comes in a 32oz ready-to-use tinned box and has a clear color. It is a unique glue that is easy to spread and dries quickly and clearly for a neat finish. Moreover, the glue is waterproof and suitable for use in wet conditions.
Fiebing’s leathercraft cement adhesive is a perfect leather glue that can also be used on paper and fabric. It comes in a convenient four-oz bottle. The non-toxic formula with low viscosity flows easily from the squeeze tip and allows easy application. Further, the bonding result is strong and flexible, thus making it an ideal option for gluing shoes, bags, wallets, and furniture. This flexible and non-flammable glue dries quickly and clearly and does not leave any smears.
Formulated with excellent adhesion properties, Hirschkleber leathercraft glue is extremely reliable for bonding leather, felt, cardboard, or textiles. This glue can be used in shoemaking, specifically to glue vamps to toe boxes, as it provides firmness to the toe box. Unlike regular glues, this particular glue allows ventilation inside the shoe and helps seal air vents, thus preventing any bubbles and offering even and firm sealing. The water-based and organic glue comes packaged in a 21.16oz bottle.
Leather Restore’s leather adhesive is specially formulated for sealing and repairing all types of leather footwear, furniture, upholstery, and jackets. The versatile glue also works with wood, fabric, rubber, or vinyl. It is a non-toxic glue and is non-inflammable. Furthermore, it is a waterproof leather glue that dries quickly and clearly and offers a durable and flexible bond.
The Pssopp super glue gel is suitable for bonding leather and suede. It can also glue ceramic, plastic, fabric, or modified polypropylene. This glue has been cured under indoor temperature conditions, thus giving a strong final bonding strength. The water-resistant and impact-proof glue is formulated with chloroprene-phenolic and offers flexible consistency. It comes in a sealed 280g can.
The E6000 super glue gel by PMC offers a permanent bond on leather, plastic, metal, and glass. Unlike other superglues, this formula creates a flexible bond that leather goods require for a permanent repair. The medium viscosity glue comes in a 3.7oz tube. Moreover, the waterproof glue maintains its adhesive strength even underwater, dries clear, and is non-flammable and paintable.
Suitable for use on vinyl and leather, Super Glue is a flexible leather glue that creates a durable bond. This flexible glue dries clear on the surface. Apart from repairing and sealing leather and vinyl, you can also use this glue for repairing wood, canvas, or rubber. The glue dries within ten minutes of its application and stays flexible, thus making it one of the best glues for leather.
Starbond thick CA glue has a viscosity similar to honey and is formulated to offer permanent bonds. The glue has a long shelf life of 30 months. It is perfect for use on leather, and you can also use it on fabric, cotton, glass, rubber, and plastic. Further, the fast-drying glue takes just 10-15 seconds to show its results. The glue set includes a 2oz glue tube and a 6fl oz accelerator can to speed up the bonding time.
How To Choose The Right Leather Glue?
Here are a few factors you should consider before choosing the right leather glue.
- Type of work: Different types of glues are formulated for different types of projects. Special leather glues are made to bond quickly and are great for quick repair works, while leather cement glues create flexible bonds and are difficult to pull apart, thus making them great for bonding items permanently.
- Water-resistant: Certain types of leather are made to suit wet conditions. While working on such leather, choose a leather cement that creates a strong bond and is resistant to water.
- Easy application: Leather glue that comes in a squeeze bottle is easy to apply and mess-free. However, when applying cement glue, use a small acid-type brush to prevent any mess.
- Drying time: Different glues dry at different speeds. Leather glue dries the slowest and takes 10-20 minutes to bond, while super glue dries within a minute.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does fabric glue work on leather?
Yes, fabric glue may work on leather, but it may not be very durable.
2. How do I glue leather to leather?
To glue leather to leather, apply glue on the grain side of the leather on both pieces. Then, stick them firmly and wait for the glue to dry.
3. Does hot glue work on leather?
Hot glue contains adhesive made from thermoplastic and does not bond well with leather. Further, hot glue may crimp leather products.
Glue is an essential item that you need to make small repairs at home. Whether it is your leather shoe, leather sofa, leather purse, or leather jacket, specific glues can be availed from the market to treat your leather products. We hope this list of the best glues for leather helps you choose the right product for your repair works and crafts.
- Best Delta Kitchen Faucets
- Best Juicer For Leafy Greens
- Best Vegan Protein Powder For Women
- Best Paella Pans