Green tea is popularly known for its anti-obesity properties. The catechins in the tea, known as EGCG, prevent weight gain. A study performed on green tea for weight loss indicated that the consumption of green tea extracts’ help in weight management (1). A randomized, cross-over pilot study conducted on six overweight men showed that the EGCG increased fat oxidation, concluding that green tea could contribute to the anti-obesity effects (2).
However, green tea alone cannot help you lose weight. You must make it a part of your well-balanced diet and also exercise to shed unwanted calories. The combination of these three could show positive results in healthy weight loss.
Read on for a list of the best green teas for weight loss in India and buy a pack or two after consulting a weight loss specialist or a nutritionist.
15 Best Green Teas For Weight Loss In India 2021
Lipton Green Tea Bags are ready-to-use dip bags and take less than three minutes to make a hot cup of green tea with additional flavors. The lemon flavor is rich in vitamin C and leaves you light and happy. Use them as a part of a balanced diet, and over time, you could see visible improvement in your metabolism.
- Reduces waist circumference
- Made up of natural plant nutrients
- Catechins in the green tea help keep fit
- Needs brewing only for two minutes
- Available in additional flavors of tulsi, mint, and honey
- Helps to maintain fresh skin
With ever-growing work and hectic schedules, you might need a drink to help you feel calm. This green tea by Organic India is effective in reducing stress. It stimulates and revitalizes the respiratory functions for a peaceful mind. Further, the antioxidants in green tea enhance stamina. So, whether you are up after a good night’s sleep or back home after work, a teaspoon of green tea in hot water is relaxing. The green tea includes three kinds of tulsi, including Rama Tulsi, Krishna tulsi, and Vana Tulsi.
- Creates a detoxifying impact
- Vegetarian tea supplement
- Offers myriad health benefits
- Promotes weight loss
- Keeps skin tight to proffer anti-aging effect
- Builds immunity
- Works against cold and flu
- Helps to lose belly weight
Lemon and honey make an ideal combination to lose weight. Everyday consumption of this tea in hot water detoxifies the body, loosens the fat layers, and keeps the body light. Tetley’s green tea needs brewing for only two minutes. It is an immunity enhancer and provides an ideal flavor when water is at 85°C. Available in the form of teabags, this can be carried easily to your college, workplace, or travel.
- Quick and easy to make
- Portable bags are ideal during journeys
- Improves body metabolism
- Does not contain additional sweeteners
- Great flavor with a natural taste
- Reduces extra cravings after lunch or dinner
Immunity is one thing that the body always needs to fight off the unseen infections and viruses present in our body. Therefore, it is essential to intake immunity boosters regularly. The Onlyleaf green tea is available in ten different exotic flavors to feel new every day. Made from all-natural ingredients, it is devoid of any artificial taste and smell. Ideal for detox, weight loss, and healthy skin, the tea is also beneficial for proper digestion and blood sugar control.
- Made with the highest quality of green tea leaves
- Does not produce a bitter taste
- Alleviates stress and promotes a pleasant mind
- Natural flavors include ashwagandha, chamomile, amla, and more
- Teabags can be steeped twice
- Good number of antioxidants to support healthy body weight
- Catechins in the tea are suitable for a healthy heart and detoxification
Fortified with 6X antioxidants, it is advantageous for those who aim to reduce belly fat. It contains refreshing agents to promote the feel-good endorphins of the brain. The tea leaves a natural taste on the tongue to feel, and it does not contain any unnatural sweeteners that add to the calorie count. Having this green tea twice a day is a great option for quick and easy weight loss.
- Can be used in hot water and iced tea
- Raises the metabolism levels of the body
- Contains very little caffeine
- Energetic with fulfilling consistency
- Completely vegetarian
- Fat reducing supplement, ideal along with exercise
With loose green tea powder, you can vary the tea concentration to suit both dark and mild tastes. The Chaiology Himalayan Green Tea supports fast weight loss by providing anti-inflammation, antioxidant, and weight management ingredients. You will reap maximum benefits when you consume it at least twice a day. It could also help alleviate cold symptoms, headaches, and stress.
- Tastes pure and natural
- Energizes the senses
- Makes you look and feel fresh for a longer period
- Improves brain function and fat loss
- Reduced risk of cancer
- No need to soak for long
- Rich in polyphenols
Spices in India have always been a preferred ingredient in food owing to their innumerable benefits. Care Ashwagandha spiced green tea brings the goodness of herbs and is refreshing and rich in flavor. It is ideal for losing weight and reducing fat deposition in the body. The tea has mixed spiced granules, including ginger, black pepper, and cardamom, to add ayurvedic advantage to the body. The tea rejuvenates the entire body by boosting metabolism and building immunity.
- Benefits skin and hair
- Promotes healthy heart
- Lowers the caffeine level
- Tulsi fights infections
- Hing supports good digestion and reduces bloating issues
- Includes nutmeg and clove that are great for digestive integrity
Jasmine’s benefits make it a popular ingredient in a range of body-based products, including essential oils, body creams, and hair gels. One of the essential applications of jasmine base for internal purposes is in green tea. Onlyleaf Jasmine Green Tea has a calming fragrance with zero bitter taste. Also, jasmine green tea promotes alertness and concentration and benefits weight loss.
- Needs steeping for only two to three minutes
- Includes five times more antioxidants
- Helps in memory retention and improving focus
- Improves oral health by controlling bad breath and tooth decay
- Anti-microbial property of jasmine keeps the skin fresh
The Neuherbs Green Tea is gluten-free, refreshing, zero sugar, and preservative-free for a pleasant experience. The catechins in the green tea remove the destructive free radicals present in the body. It cuts down unwanted fat and helps maintain a healthy BMI. This green tea is great for the senses and feels nice on the taste buds. The mild flavors of mint and lemon enhance wellness and energy. Its antioxidant range helps fight fatigue.
- Helps lose belly fat in both men and women
- Prevents extra cravings after meals
- Has low calories to support healthy weight
- Can be used in smoothies, mojito, and popsicles
- Easy-to-prepare tea bag
- Ideal for detox and to create a body balance
Glenberg slimming tea includes a range of additional herbs, including ginger, turmeric, and Arjun bark, to speed up metabolism and infuse a high-qualitative detox measure. A cup of this slimming tea in the morning improves metabolism, provides energy, and aids weight loss.
- Great shelf life
- Vegetarian product
- Easy brewing and the brew can be reused
- Helpful antioxidizing properties
- Boosts energy
- Helps in recovery of injuries
- Improves stamina and decreases belly fat
The Tea Treasure Green Tea is full of natural herbs and effective for weight loss and glowing skin. It has Garcinia Cambogia that works towards a low-carb diet burn. Besides shedding the extra pounds, the tea also possesses great taste with a powerful blend of ingredients. It enhances the calmness of the mind, body, and soul to feel pleasant. It also improves digestion and bowel movements.
- Powdered form
- Brings energy and focus
- Improves positive mood
- 100% natural, free from chemicals
- Devoid of side effects
- Helps cleanse the skin from inside
- Immunity booster
Ideal for both body and mind, the Himalaya Green Tea is great for immunity, detoxification, and anti-carcinogenic properties. As a part of the daily routine, having a cup or two of green tea can enhance the senses and leave you refreshed.
- Easy-to-use tea bags
- Potential antioxidant
- Reduces fatigue and calms the mind
- Improves immunity to fight body infections
- Prevents illness by improving metabolism
- Cures headaches and cold
- Promotes gastrointestinal health
- Aids digestion and weight reduction
Available in the essential flavor of Idukki Cardamom, the Blue Nectar Green Tea improves metabolism. It is sourced from Assam Tea Gardens and tones the body to give you a slimmer look in a few months.
- Effective with hot water
- Whole leaves that are of better quality
- Works well to control waistline
- Light, travel-friendly, and easy to carry
- Needs less than a minute for the preparation
- Sweet and spicy aroma
- Ideal for the morning routine
- Leaves can be reused for a second brew
- Relaxing and mild
A whole leaf green tea can be made tastier and better with the addition of a few essential, immunity-boosting spices such as turmeric and cardamom. The Chaayos Green Tea is a blend of these essential ingredients. Great in taste and ideal for weight loss programs, it is easy to make and offers an excellent aroma.
It has an exotic flavor with mind-calming properties and helps cut down the unwanted cravings after the meals. Therefore, it is also helpful in cutting off unwanted carbs and calories. It comes as a powder, offering greater flexibility than tea bags.
- Boosts immunity
- Offers a best-in-class natural taste
- Effective for weight control
- No artificial flavors
- High in antioxidants and anti-aging
- Relaxing properties
- Improves brain functions
Activated charcoal has an important role to play in removing dead skin cells and other skin impurities. Green tea with activated charcoal in Oziva’s matcha plus green tea helps boost metabolism, reduce weight, and improve mental focus. The tea also consists of ginger and licorice to reduce the dark spots and pigmentation. It is best recommended for people who are looking for dual benefits for weight management and skin brightness.
- 100% organic hand-picked Japanese matcha
- Supports good fitness levels for body
- Exfoliates the skin and prevents pimples
- Does not contain artificial sweeteners and preservatives
*The information given in the section are the claims made by manufacturers. MomJunction recommends readers to do a careful analysis and talk to experts before buying any weight-loss products.
Types Of Green Tea
Green tea is produced from a tea plant, scientifically known as Camellia sinensis. Once the leaf is extracted, it is either kept natural or mixed with various ayurvedic or essential herbs to prepare different flavors. Some of the most common types of green tea have the following flavors.
- Lemon-honey green tea: This green tea flavor is one of the most preferred due to its fresh flavor. Lemon and honey are a wonderful composition complementing each other and help flush out the toxins from the body and burn belly fat.
- Mint-based green tea: Mint is rich in nutrients. It prevents bad breath and improves overall oral health. It is useful in treating cold symptoms, and a fresh, flavored mint green tea is known to enhance brain functions and relieve severe headaches.
- Tulsi green tea: This traditional Indian leaf has unique properties for promoting respiratory illness and cardiovascular health. It has a mild flavor and feels great on taste buds. Besides the general serenity attached to the tulsi-flavored green tea, it also promotes weight loss.
- Chamomile green tea: A hot cup of chamomile green tea at night before sleeping is beneficial to improve sleep quality. It is mild, earthly, and flowery in taste and is therefore helpful for digestive problems and insomnia. Taking it twice a day will treat the issues associated with blood sugar.
- Jasmine green tea: Jasmine flavored green tea is rich in antioxidants that help lose weight, burn fat layers, and gain a healthy brain. It is a stress relief tea that promotes overall well-being and good health. It has the power to release positive feelings and boost energy in the body.
- Himalayan green tea: Himalayan green tea has flavonoids for greater detox and improved metabolism. It has catechins to fight against viruses and body infections. Whether you aim for weight reduction, healthy skin, or body nourishment, this green tea does them all.
How To Choose The Right Green Tea For Weight Loss?
Choosing the best green tea for yourself can be overwhelming. Every flavor seems to be equally nice and beneficial. If you are a beginner in having green tea, it is more so confusing. Keeping the following points in mind while deciding is helpful.
- Consider teas that are easy to carry and light in weight. It enables you to have regular consumption of green tea, even if you are traveling. Regular consumption of green tea is the key to lose weight.
- Consult your dietician on what suits you most well. Each person has a unique body composition, and their requirement to lose weight differs. Take a suitable suggestion from the experts.
- Choose a green tea that is best known for activating the metabolism. A good metabolism results in lower fat deposition.
- Find a green tea that has a higher number of antioxidants. It helps in flushing out the toxins and maintaining a healthy BMI.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When to drink green tea for weight loss?
Green tea is a beverage that can be enjoyed at all times. The best time to drink green tea is post-breakfast in the morning, but depending on the flavors, some teas may be appropriate for specific times during the day. Green tea flavored with chamomile would be more suited for evenings.
In cold and misty evenings, jasmine green tea would bring out the cozy side of you, while mint green tea can refresh you during those morning tea breaks. As green tea has all the necessary ingredients such as flavonoids that aid weight loss, drinking green tea post-exercise, and after a heavy meal can be extra beneficial.
2. How to drink green tea for weight loss?
It is beneficial to drink green tea with hot water. Ideally, green tea percolates the maximum amount of its benefits in hot water from 85°C to 90°C. To prepare it, boil the water, turn off the heat, cool it for a minute, and then put green tea in it. Do not place green tea in boiling water as it leaves a burnt and bitter aftertaste.
For weight watchers, drinking plain green tea or neutral flavors such as jasmine or mint is advisable as those added ingredients tend to benefit weight loss. Those on a strict diet or with diabetes should refrain from honey-flavored green tea.
However, the taste of simple green tea in the water at 85°C for two minutes is easy for weight loss.
3. How much green tea should I drink for weight loss?
Talk to a weight-loss expert who can guide you on various aspects of losing weight, including the quantity of green tea you can take. On the other hand, drinking too much or too strong tea might cause acidity.
Green tea is natural, light, and easy to use. It is also proving to be a valuable aid for weight loss that makes green tea more precious. Pick and buy yourself the best flavor to enjoy it every time you take.
2. Takuji Suzuki et al.; Beneficial Effects of Tea and the Green Tea Catechin Epigallocatechin-3-gallate on Obesity; Molecules (2016)