Barbequing and grilling are one of the oldest and most primitive forms of cooking. Grilling today is not even close to how it used to be at the beginning of time, nonetheless it is a fun family affair at the end of which you get to devour delicious meat and vegetables cooked to perfection. However, there are some food items that don’t work very well on traditional grills, like shrimp, small vegetables and little kebabs and often fall between the grids. There is now a solution to this problem which is a barbeque grill mat. The best grill mats are those that allow you to cook the food the way you have always liked it but avoid grill fires, make cleaning after cooking easy and leave traditional grill lines on your food. We have rounded up the 11 best grill mats to buy in 2020 so you can explore the popular options.
How To Properly Use A Grill Mat?
The following steps are the perfect guide to using a barbeque grill mat properly:
- Check the position of the metal grate on your grill once you have turned it on or started the fire.
- Take a single piece of a cooking grill mat and place it on the grilling surface. You may use two grill mats simultaneously besides each other if your grill is larger than one mat.
- Make sure a single layer of the bbq grilling mats is maintained.
- Once you are confident the grill mat is placed properly and is intact you can lay out the food and cook as you would normally do.
Let us now take a look at a curated list of the 11 Best Grill Mats To Buy In 2020
11 Best Grill Mats To Buy In 2020
The Kona Best BBQ Grill Mat is a 16 x 13 x 0.1 inches bbq grill mat and is the perfect present for parents, friends, bosses, etc. Known to be more superior compared to other grill mats, this grill mat can tolerate heat up to a peak temperature of 600°F. The grill mat is free of PFOA and is among the thickest grill mats available today with a thickness of 0.39 mm. This BBQ grill and smoke mat can give you more than 1000 uses each side, making it 50 times long-lasting than other ordinary grill mats. These grill mats are used by professional chefs as well as amateur grill masters around the world because they do not burn or melt and are clearly one of the best grill mats for your barbeque and grill parties.
- Long-lasting grill mat that will function well for years.
- Easy-to-clean surface of the grill mat makes winding up hassle-free
- Can be used on charcoal grills, infrared grills as well as gas grills
- Non-stick grill mat that can be used for baking too
- The grill mats come with a 7-year guarantee.
- The grill mat may not be suitable for cooking bacon.
The Grillaholics Grill Mat is a multipurpose grill mat that works well with Weber, Big Egg Green, Charbroil or any smoker, gas, propane, electric or charcoal grill. This durable non-stick grill mat has been created after testing multiple thicknesses with a final thickness that keeps flavor intact, allows grill marks to be embedded on your food and yet is thick enough so that heat is transferred evenly to the surface area. This grill mat for cooking can be cut to any shape or size so that it fits the grille you are using perfectly. It comes as a set of 2 and can tolerate heat up to 500°F. The size of each mat is 15.75 x 13 x 0.01 inches and can be easily used for baking too.
- Non-stick grill mat made using PTFE and fiberglass.
- Non-toxic grill mat that is PFOA, silicone-free
- Includes lifetime replacement guarantee.
- Dishwasher-safe and reusable.
- Cleaning this grill mat may be a little messy and will leave black stains on your dishcloth.
The RENOOK Grill Mat Set Of 6 are black grill mats that are made using materials like premium PTFE and fiberglass. They do not include any toxic or dangerous chemicals and are approved by the FDA. These non-stick grill mats are thick enough so that they are durable and resistant to heat yet thin enough so the flavor doesn’t escape the food and grill marks are left behind. The grill mats come in a pack of 6 so that you do not need to purchase another set for a very long time. These barbeque grill mats can be cut to any shape or size and can be used for baking too. These healthy mats allow you to grill without too much grease and make sure no food items fall into the cavity of the grill. When cooking for a short time the grill mats can take up to 400°F and when the grilling time goes beyond 30 minutes, the maximum temperature should not go beyond 260°F.
- Grill mat can be used on an induction cooktop as well.
- Reusable and dishwasher-safe
- Silicone, PFOA-free
- 100% non-stick
- Each side of the grill mat can be used 100 times each.
- It may be difficult to clean the grill mat after a few uses.
If you want to look like an absolute pro when you have your friends over for a barbeque cookout, the Aoocan Grill Mat Set of 5 Heavy Duty BBQ Grill Mats will do the trick. Not only do these grill mats keep your tiny vegetables and other small foods from falling through the grates of your grill, they also have a smooth surface area that does not let food stick to them. This means you are safe from a lot of wastage while serving delicious tasting grilled food. With a service life of at least a 100 uses per side, these BBQ grill mats are a great saver of time, money and effort. The grill mats can be washed simply using clean water and can then be dried in the sun. These grill mats have a smooth surface so that barbeque sauce does not burn with the flavors; instead it stays intact and keeps the food juicy and full of umami.
- Suitable for grills that have uneven hot spots
- Certified to be LFGB food grade
- Made using fiberglass coated with Teflon for a non-stick surface
- The grill mats can withstand heat up to 500°F
- The scrubbing pad may not be usable after cleaning the grill mat with it.
The GrillTex Under the Grill Protective Deck and Patio Mat is a very large grill mat and measures 36 x 63 inches. This grill mat is meant to be placed under the grill so that it collects any splatters and spills. You may have experienced while grilling on your patio how food, sauces, oil or water often spill onto the floor, as a result of which not just do you have to clean the grill but you also have to spend a lot of time and effort in cleaning the floor below it. This grill mat acts as a barrier that protects your flooring from permanent staining and is heat-resistant. This heavy-duty and durable grill mat is infused with a fungi static agent that keeps the mat looking as good as new and also keeps it safe from any microorganisms that can lead to deterioration.
- Can be cleaned simply with soap, water or garden hose.
- Made using 100% recyclable synthetic rubber
- Can resist heat up to 500°F
- Ideal for decks and patios and other outdoor locations.
- The grill mat may cause discoloration to a wooden deck.
The Cook Time BBQ Grill Mesh Mat comes as a set of 3 mats that are 100% non-stick which do not allow even tiny food morsels to fall through the grill grates. Not only do these mats keep your barbeque grill looking as good as new, they also let you cook without any grease and are absolutely reusable. You will no longer have to clean up your grill after a barbeque party and you can enjoy a stress free time with your guests. These barbeque grill mats may look like plastic but are very heat resistant and will not burn thanks to the technologically advanced materials used to make them. The size of each mat is 15.75 x 13 inches and is made of materials that are 100% free of silicones, PFOA and other toxic chemicals. With a lifetime warranty these mesh mats are one of the best grill mats available.
- Can tolerate heat up to 500°F
- Compatible with propane, gas, charcoal or electric grills.
- The grill mat is an ideal replacement of aluminum foil and parchment paper.
- Can be used for baking as well by cutting to fit into toaster ovens, cookie tins or pans for roasting, cooking, frying or baking.
- The grill mat may be difficult to clean after a few uses.
The YRYM HT Copper Grill Mat Set of 5 is the ideal copper grill mat for people who are on an oil-free diet. This grill mat set comes with a silicone basting brush along with it for ease of use and to make grilling a fun filled activity for you and your family. This cooking grill mat is non-stick and is very easy to clean. You can place your food on the grill mat without any oil, as a result of which the mat doesn’t even get that greasy and cleaning it becomes a breeze. This reusable grill mat can be cut to size to fit perfectly in ovens, stoves and grills. These copper grill mats are lined with fiberglass coating that is also combined with harmless materials making the grill mat absolutely safe and healthy for use. The SGS have also approved these copper grill mats that enhance the flavor of food when it is cooked on them. Each mat measures 13 x 15.7 inches and has an additional Teflon coating that makes sure the food is heated evenly across the mat.
- Easy to clean and dishwasher-safe
- Made using non-toxic, PFOA-free materials
- Occupies very little space, can be rolled up and stored
- The grill mat has passed the safety test and is certified by LFGB.
- Made using high quality heat-resistant and fireproof copper.
- The grill mats may start looking old and stained after a few uses.
The Vremi Grill Sergeant BBQ Mat Set is a pack of 5 black grill mats that let you make the most of your outdoor barbeque grill without the hassle of cleaning up later. The grill mats are made using strong PTFE coating on fiberglass. These BPA-free mats have grilling marks on them itself so that you do not miss out on the authentic look and feel of grilled food. You get all the goodness of grilled food without the burnt taste that can really spoil the joy for many. These non-stick grill mats are reusable, economical and look great when placed on your grill. What you get is the gift of enjoying healthy and oil-free grilled food with your family and friends, especially meat and fish that will never burn. These BBQ grill mats measure 15.75 x 13 inches and are 0.2 mm thick offering the perfect thickness and texture for even heat distribution and resistance to 500°F.
- Can be used as baking liners as well
- Compatible with electric, gas or charcoal outdoor grills.
- Can be washed in the dishwasher or can be simply wiped with a damp cloth.
- These grill mats are the perfect replacement to hot dog toasters or vegetable grill baskets.
- The grill mat may emit a plastic odor when being used for the first time.
The GRILLART BBQ Grill Mat provides relief from dirty barbecue grates that take forever to clean or never get cleaned at all thanks to the rough texture that all the grilling leaves behind. These barbeque grill mats put the joy back in grilling and save you from spending hours in trying to clean up after a long day of hosting friends and family. This non-stick bbq grill mat is made up of PTFE and fiberglass and is 100% free from PFOA, silicone and other toxic materials, making it absolutely safe for children as well as the rest of your family. With the capacity to tolerate high temperatures up to 600°F, this long lasting non-stick grill mat is 0.38 mm thick and does not let its coating peel off on its own. The non-stick coating on this mat is stronger than most barbeque mats as a result of which there is a very low chance of getting scratch marks on the mat. This heavy duty grill mat is multipurpose and can be used for multiple grills ranging from Weber, Big Green Egg, Charbroil, etc. and is also compatible with propane, electric, gas or charcoal grills.
- Easy to clean and dishwasher-safe
- Each side can be used more than 1000 times
- Leaves barbeque grill marks on your food to make them look more tempting.
- This portable grill mat can be taken to campgrounds, park grills and other outdoor locations.
- The grill mat may not let the food be infused with charred odor.
The Kitchemy BBQ Grill Mat has an innovative design featuring little holes on the surface area of the grill mat that offer an authentic grilling experience. This unique design of the mat ensures that your vegetables and small food items are cooked to perfection smell great and never fall into the grill. These grill mats come as a set of 2, can be cleaned within seconds and are an effortless and hassle free grilling accessory to own. The mats are heat-resistant and non-stick so that you do not compromise on your healthy, delicious meal. These flat grill mats are designed to have a long life, are fireproof and can be used multiple times. Each mat is 16 x 13 inches in size with double thickness and can resist high temperatures without burning. The perforations in the mat make sure you do not have to compromise on the smokey smell of the barbeque that gets inculcated into the food.
- Free from non-toxic materials
- Made using premium-quality PTFE
- The grill mats can resist heat up to 500°F
- The grill mats are compatible with electric, gas and charcoal grills.
- The grill mats can be washed by hand or in the machine or by your garden hose.
- The grill mat may result in your meat to have a blackened layer due to the surface of the mat.
The HEADMALL Grill Mat in black was recently upgraded in 2019 and has a thick coating to protect your food from burning as well as your barbeque grill from getting messy. The mat is easy to use, all you need to do is spray a little oil on the cooking grill mat, place the food, sprinkle salt and chili and you are ready to grill. Even if you are not an experienced griller this grill mat will ensure your meat doesn’t burn. This grill mat is approved by FDA and has received LFGB food-grade certification making it completely safe for you and your family and friends. This non-stick grill mat can be used more than 100 times on each side, offering value for money every time you use it. The size of this heavy duty grill mat is 15.75 x 13 inches with a thickness of 0.2 mm.
- Heat-resistant up to 500°F
- Reusable, non-toxic, and eco-friendly
- 100 % non-stick grill mats made using PTFE and fiberglass
- Easy to clean, simply spray some oil on the mat when it has cooled down and get rid of burnt food marks.
- The grill mats may become very greasy after cooking just a couple of burgers.
Here is a small guide that will help you choose and buy the best grill mat for your barbeque grill.
How To Choose Best Grill Mats?
Choosing grill mats may seem like an easy process but there are some features and points that must not be overlooked rather paid extra attention to. Here is a list of aspects you must consider before buying a barbeque grill mat:
Size of the grill mat is an important aspect to look into, while deciding which non-stick grill mat works best for you. It is essential for the bbq grill mat to match the size of your grill and fit well. If the cooking grill mat doesn’t fit, it can result in oil and juices reaching the flames which can be dangerous or it can result in small grilling items falling into the barbeque. So very small grill mats for cooking will definitely not work, however, a larger grill mat can be cut to a smaller size to fit your grill.
Grill mats with a temperature capacity of 500°F are the most ideal while anything higher than this can be dangerous for PTFE coated mats. A temperature capacity that is lower than this means that the product is inferior and you must not settle for it.
Grill mats are available in multiple thickness levels and the difference can be felt even though it may not be that visible. Barbeque grill mats that are thinner may get hot really quickly and burn easily while thicker grill mats won’t distribute heat evenly, which will result in the food being cooked evenly as well. The sweet spot is an approximate 0.25mm thick. At such a thickness the heat transfer is even, grill marks are pronounced and the grill mat lasts longer.
One of the most important things in a BBQ grill mat is the PTFE coating. It is also the most expensive feature in a grill mat. This means a double-coating can increase the cost of the cooking grill mat but it also adds to the life expectancy and effectiveness of the mat.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to clean a grill mat?
Grill mats can be best cleaned by soaking them in soapy water for a few hours and wiping them off later. If anything is stuck to the mat, you may use the soft side of a scrub pad to clean it off.
2. Are grill mats safe to use?
Fiberglass cloth coated with PTFE is typically what most grill mats are made of. Both these materials are safe to use if the product is approved by the FDA.
3. How many times can you use a grill mat?
You can use a grill mat any number of times, depending on the condition of the mat and the amount of heat you generally use for grilling. Most mats are reusable without any issue.
By now you must have realized what you have been missing out on by not using a barbeque grill mat. Whether it is to protect your expensive grill, to avoid food from falling into the grill bottom or to prevent your patio flooring from getting damaged, grill mats have multiple purposes and usages, each of those being a good enough reason to get your own cooking grill mat. While we have listed the best grill mats here, take time in identifying your need, the size of your grill and how often you will be using the mats before you finalize on the best grill mat for you!