If your baby suffers from pain and discomfort after feeding, we have compiled a list of the best gripe water solutions to help you choose the right one. Gripe water helps boost the digestive function of an immature digestive system. For ages, parents have been using it to soothe fussy babies. If your child feels uncomfortable due to an upset stomach or indigestion, gripe water can help relieve the pain. So, if you have been feeling helpless as your baby cries in discomfort, you can give gripe water a shot. Browse through our list to choose the right product for your child.
11 Best Gripe Water For Babies
1. Best Chemical-Free: Little Remedies Day/Night Gripe Water
A formula that combines the goodness of gentle herbs to ease your baby’s stomach from gas, hiccups, fussiness, colic, and other discomforts. It is made with lemon balm and chamomile that gently soothes your baby. It also contains ginger and fennel to aid in digestion.
Caution: Statements are not evaluated by the FDA and do not intend to cure, diagnose, or treat diseases or health conditions.
- Free from parabens and gluten
- Free from artificial color or dyes
- Safe for newborns
- Does not contain sodium bicarbonate
- Baby might not like the taste
2. Best For Quick Soothing: Little Remedies Fast Acting Gripe Water
Using gripe water has been around for ages and the Little Remedies Fast Acting Gripe Water is just what you need to help your babies get quick relief from colic woes. It combines chamomile and lemon balm to gently soothe your baby’s digestive tract.
Caution: Statements are not evaluated by the FDA and do not intend to cure, diagnose, or treat diseases or health conditions.
- Contains no artificial flavors or color
- Free of parabens and gluten
- Contains herbal ingredients like ginger and fennel
- Helps aid in digestion
- Quick relief from discomfort
- Might make the baby sleepy
3. Best For Sensitive Palate: Mommy’s Bliss Gripe Water Original
Keep your baby free from discomfort with the herbal solution of ginger and fennel. It helps your baby with tummy woes and keeps gas, colic, and fussiness away. The natural and organic power of ginger eases your baby from uncomfortable hiccups too.
- Suitable for baby’s sensitive palate
- No added sugar or alcohol
- Free from artificial colors and flavors
- Citrus taste that the baby might not like
4. Best For Digestive Problems: Colic Calm Homeopathic Medicine
Gripe water that combines the power of eight natural homeopathic ingredients like peppermint, lemon balm, ginger, fennel, caraway, blackthorn, chamomile, and vegetable charcoal, the Colic Calm solution relieves your baby from upset stomachs and digestive discomforts.
- Uses premium quality ingredients
- FDA-approved, and compliant with GMP
- No risk of side effects
- Black color solution that babies may not like
5. Best For Fast And Effective Relief: Wellements Organic Gripe Water
For a healthy tomorrow in your kid’s life, try the Wellements Organic Gripe Water. It is easy to use and is made with natural herbs. One of the best gripe water for newborn babies, this product is free from chemicals and parabens to ensure the safety of your baby.
- Free from artificial flavors and colors
- Does not use preservatives
- Gluten, dairy, and soy-free
- Fast and effective
- Has to be refrigerated once opened
6. Best Immunity Building Vitamins: Zarbee’s Naturals Baby Gripe Water
When your baby is feeling queasy with discomfort, the Zarbee’s Naturals Baby Gripe Water is your solution. It is made with natural ingredients that help your little one ease their stomach problems. This gripe water is made with powerful and soothing ingredients like dark honey, agave, and elderberry that boost your baby’s immune system.
- Special handpicked ingredients
- Contains immunity building vitamins
- Sweetness of agave
- Contains traditional herbs
- Might get spoiled during very hot climate
7. Best To Prevent Colic And Spit-Ups: Gerber Soothe Probiotic Colic Drops
To comfort your little one with indigestion, fussiness, and constipation, the Gerber Soothe Probiotic Colic Drops is one of a kind. It is a probiotic solution that helps promote regular healthy digestive function in your baby and effectively prevents colic and spit-ups.
- Non-GMO certified
- Pediatrician recommended
- Has a patented formula
- Might be expensive
8. Best Certified Organic Ingredients: Wellements Organic Nighttime Gripe Water
Does your baby’s discomfort prevent you and your baby from getting a good night’s sleep? With the Wellements Organic Nighttime Gripe Water, your baby can have a sound sleep all night. It uses certified organic ingredients and gives your little one a herbal remedy for hiccups, colic, and fussiness.
- Free from preservatives and parabens
- Does not contain gluten, soy, and diary
- Free from dyes, artificial color, and flavors
- Quickly perishable
9. Best To Relieve Gas And Nausea: Colic-Ease Gripe Water
Looking for a great product for an affordable price range? Here it is! The Colic-Ease Gripe Water is made from essential oils of dill weed seeds, cinnamon bark, clove bud, caraway seed, and cardamom seed along with other ingredients.
- Helps relieve gas, heartburns, indigestion, nausea
- Contains no harmful ingredients
- Suitable for babies and adults
- The smell might not be appealing
10. Best Vegetarian-Friendly: Kiddie Max Premium Gripe Water Plus
A formula that is made to achieve fast relief from gas, hiccups, bloating, and fussiness by dissolving the bubbles in your baby’s tummy, the Kiddie Max Premium Gripe Water Plus can be mixed with milk or water to make it easy to consume.
- Helps relieve painful gas
- Vegetarian friendly
- Kosher certified
- Free of parabens, gluten, and additives
- Shorter shelf life
11. Best For Newborn Babies: Woodward’s Gripe Water
Suitable for newborn babies, the Woodward’s Gripe Water helps relieve an upset stomach. This gripe water has a great taste and is suitable for the period when your baby is teething. It comes in a small bottle to keep it fresh and uses an ayurvedic formula. It also ensures your toddler’s healthy growth.
- Combines dill oil and sarjikakshara
- Free of sugar
- Does not contain alcohol
- Gives quick relief
- Comes in a plastic bottle
How To Choose The Right Gripe Water?
Here is a list of things to consider before choosing the right gripe water:
- Purpose – The first thing to answer is why you need gripe water? What problems are your baby facing that gripe water can solve? These answers will lead you to the gripe water as solutions to your baby’s problems. Whether it’s gas, hiccups, indigestion or constipation, choosing gripe water appropriately is the key.
- Ingredients – Now that you understand the kinds of ingredients used in making gripe water, you should keep in mind what are the things that can cause your baby allergies, further fussiness, or irritation. Choosing gripe water with all-natural ingredients is the best option for you and your baby.
- Quantity – If you’re looking to buy gripe water that lasts a long time, the quantity matters too. Some brands are more perishable than others while some can be stored for longer periods. Moreover, a high quantity of gripe water usually uses low-quality ingredients. Therefore, it is important to read the labels before making a purchase.
- Price – If you can afford premium quality gripe water, always opt for that because they use high-quality ingredients and take extra measures to keep your baby safe. Always read the labels and be familiar with the ingredients that go into the gripe water that you purchase.
Is Gripe Water Safe? What Are The Side Effects Of Gripe Water?
Gripe water is an ancient herbal remedy for tummy problems that your babies face. They are made with ingredients like ginger, lemon balm, chamomile, and cinnamon, among other such herbal ingredients. It relieves your baby from gas and ingestion.
Although gripe water is made from natural ingredients, it is still a foreign substance for your baby. Anything other than breast milk in the first six months is said to increase the chances of bacteria in your baby. However, to ease digestion and improve colic health, many health professionals say that it is completely safe to administer gripe water to your baby. Nevertheless, we recommend that you speak to your doctor before giving your baby gripe water to know what’s safe for your baby’s health and what is best suitable.
Are All Gripe Waters The Same?
There are a variety of options to choose from but the most common ingredients that make up gripe water are lemon balm, cinnamon, dill, chamomile, ginger, and fennel. A combination of these ingredients along with a few natural flavors, sweeteners, etc makes up the best gripe water for newborns.
However, it is important to keep in mind that some gripe water also has sugars and alcohol in them. These ingredients should be avoided to maintain the health of your baby. Other ingredients to avoid are gluten, vegetable carbon, diary, and peppermint. Some babies are also allergic to certain ingredients, therefore, you must choose the one that is best suited for your baby.
Who Needs Gripe Water?
Gripe water is primarily used to help in digestion and improve stomach health. It is said to ease gas troubles and other stomach problems in babies and anyone else with an immature digestive system. It also provides help with hiccups and colic. There is no scientific evidence that gripe water works, although many parents swear by it. The only proof we have for now is through word of mouth.
How Does Gripe Water Work?
While there is no specific recipe for gripe water, there are a few ingredients that are commonly found in them. They each contribute to easing stomach problems and making digestion an easier process. Some of these ingredients are:
- Fennel: An ingredient packed with dietary fibers, fennel helps improve digestion in babies by increasing the gastrointestinal muscle function (1).
- Chamomile: Known for its antioxidant properties, chamomile is an anti-inflammatory and healing herb that helps ease nausea and diarrhea. It is nature’s remedy for motion sickness, vomiting, gas, and colic.
- Ginger: Used even in adults as a cure for stomach problems, ginger is a nausea treating ingredient. It stimulates saliva and bile production which helps your baby digest food easily (2).
- Cinnamon: Another ingredient that has immense antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, cinnamon is known as a spice that has antimicrobial features.
- Lemon balm: With a wide range of benefits, lemon balm is known to improve body functions. It detoxifies the liver, increases immunity, and promotes healthy sleep (3).
Why Trust MomJunction?
Our team of expert writers, reviewers, and editors bring you a list of the best gripe water for babies. The options on this list are made of natural ingredients and are free of artificial colors and ingredients. Moreover, we tell you about the benefits and side effects of gripe water for babies and tell you a few pointers you should consider when choosing one.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is gripe water safe for newborns?
Gripe water is an age-old herbal solution used by mothers to alleviate their babies of stomach problems. However, check with your doctor before giving your baby gripe water. Some doctors recommend gripe water if the baby is experiencing excessive colic. However, be aware that your infant should not be given gripe water during the first six months as it may cause infections (4).
2. Does gripe water work instantly?
Some babies get fussy after eating their food, but it is recommended that you wait at least 30 minutes after feeding to give your babies gripe water. It usually gives quick relief from discomfort and stomach pains.
3. Can I give my baby gripe water every day?
Provide gripe water to your baby every day only if a pediatrician suggests it. Gripe water may contain ingredients that might be allergic to your little one. Also, be aware that too much gripe water can harm the little one.
4. Does gripe water make babies sleep better?
Babies with gas and colic often feel exhausted due to discomfort. Gripe water may relieve your baby of discomfort and make them sleep well.
5. Is gas drops better than gripe water?
Gas drops contain simethicone, which helps break gas bubbles (5). In contrast, gripe water is a herbal formula to soothe your infant from gas. Both should be used only under the guidance of the pediatrician.
The best gripe water for babies may help your little ones feel comfortable by improving their digestive functions and reducing colic. When choosing one, ensure it has a long shelf life, is made up of natural ingredients, is certified for safety, and has a taste and flavor your little one may like. Further, do not forget to read the instructions for usage and storage. It is also important to pick one based on what problem you plan to solve in your little one, whether it is gas, hiccups, or indigestion.
- Functional foods with digestion-enhancing properties International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition Taylor & Francis Online
- A review of the gastroprotective effects of ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe) US National Library of Medicine
- Melissa officinalis L: A Review Study With an Antioxidant Prospective Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine US National Library of Medicine
- Is gripe water baby-friendly?
- Breaking Up Gas
- Best Baby Food Storage Containers
- Best Probiotics for Kids
- Best Diaper Caddies
- Best Bento Boxes For Kids