Hair creams healthify and add additional moisture to your hair. Here, we have listed the best hair creams worth the trial. These hair creams are formulated for several purposes, including adding shine or smoothening hair. They are mostly non-greasy formulas that help style your hair and tame the frizz. In addition, some hair creams contain natural ingredients, such as argan oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, and rosemary oil that nourish the hair from within. So, go ahead and get yourself one of these results-driven hair and scalp protectors with proven efficacy to see visible results on your hair. Choose the product suitable to your hair type from our list to add volume to your thin hair or tame the frizz.
19 Best Hair Creams For Women
1. Best For Textured Hair: Cantu Coconut Curling Cream
The Cantu coconut curling cream is made for textured hair, to achieve any style or look you want. One of the best styling creams making waves, it strengthens your hair and defines your curls, revealing soft and bouncy curls that are also manageable. Just apply the cream smoothly on damp hair, starting from the roots to the tips, and leave it to nourish it. Do not rinse after application. Watch this video for more information about the product’s use and benefits.
- Contains shea butter that nourishes your hair
- Moisturizes and strengthens your hair strands
- Defines your curls without weighing them down
- Provides intense moisture to reveal soft, elongated curls
- The cream might give a gummy feel
- Defines your curls for just two to three days
- Can be a little harsh on your hair
2. Best For Soft Texture And Frizz-Control: Deva Curl Styling Cream
This Devacurl styling cream captures the freshness of lime zest and lemon to provide better conditioning to your hair. The lightweight styling cream fights frizz and tames your curls. Plus, the jojoba oil extract helps in strengthening hair, while the tapioca starch helps create a touchable texture and frizz-control. This video offers a detailed review of the product.
- Seals in moisture to fight frizz
- Defines your curls
- This botanically infused cream helps your curls shine
- Herbaceous scent makes your hair smell good
- This hair product is vegan and is not tested on animals
- Might dry out your hair
- The curls may not hold up after the first day
3. Best For Dry And Frizzy Hair: OGX Locking Coconut Curls Air Dry Cream
The OGX locking air dry cream puts life back into your dry and frizzy hair. The innovative hair care formula, made with exotic ingredients, helps your hair to shine, curl up, bounce, or hold tight. Applying a small amount of this product on damp hair can make it soft, smooth, and frizz-free. Plus, the OGX locking cream smells like a tropical oasis! Check out this video to learn more.
- Coconut oil and shea butter blend to give your curls that bounce
- Hydrates and defines coily hair
- Provides moisture to your curly hair
- Also protects your color-treated hair
- The hair might feel greasy
- The cream is thick and may make the curls stringy
Best For Textured Hair
Best For Soft Texture And Frizz-Control
Best For Dry And Frizzy Hair
|Cantu Coconut Curling Cream||Deva Curl Styling Cream||OGX Locking Coconut Curls Air Dry Cream|
|Hair Type||Wavy, Curly||Curly||Wavy, Curly, Coily|
|Dimensions||3.69 x 3.69 x 2.75 inches||6 x 2.25 x 6 inches||1.5 x 2.56 x 7.04 inches|
|Weight||12 Ounces||8.15 Ounces||6.08 Ounces|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
4. Best For Nourishment And Moisturization: Moroccanoil Hydrating Styling Cream
The Moroccanoil Hydrating Styling Cream delivers immediate nourishment to coarse, curly, or frizzy hair. It is a leave-in moisturizing and styling cream for women that is rich in argan oil, which increases the softness and smoothness of your hair. Plus, this cream is fragranced with Moroccan oil scent and blends sweet floral notes with spicy amber aromas.
- This hair cream is suitable for all hair types
- Specifically formulated to manage frizz and flyaways
- The soft-hold formula offers intense frizz-control
- Creates a polished, ultra-smooth look
- Fights the effects of humidity
- Dispenser may not work well
- May not hold up wavy hair
5. Best To Volumize Thin Hair: Living Proof Full Thickening Cream
The Living Proof thickening hair cream for thinning hair helps add more volume to your hair. It also nourishes your hair and gives it a long-lasting volume and smooth texture. The hair smoothing cream is silicone-free and gives you quick, visible results.
- Makes fine and brittle hair look and feel thicker
- Delivers fullness and thickness that lasts 5x longer
- Provides light conditioning to your hair
- Color-safe and protects color-treated hair too
- Works for all hair types
- Might make your hair less shiny
- Might make your hair stickier
6. Best For Fighting Humidity: Marc Anthony Perfect Curl Cream
This Marc Anthony perfect curl cream is enriched with vitamin E that helps replenish the lost moisture and nourishes the cortex. This expert-recommended hair cream also adds definition to your curls. Plus, It also has provitamin B5, shea butter, and avocado oil that protect your hair, enhance shine, and eliminate any frizz. The presence of natural ingredients puts it in a different league than other hair creams for women with harsh ingredients.
- Helps keep frizz at bay by fighting humidity
- Gives you control of your hair
- Lets your curls run free
- Provides definition and volume to your hair
- Sulfate-free and cruelty-free product
- Provides protection to your hair
- Might dry out your hair
- Could make your hair clumpy and sticky
7. Best For All Hair Types: Royal Locks Pro Curl Cream Gel
The Royal Locks curl cream-gel is designed to define, activate, and volumize your wavy hair. The natural Moroccan Argan Oil pampers your curls and offers long-lasting support. These ingredients make it an ideal hair cream for damaged hair. It deeply nourishes and conditions your hair, leaving your hair and curls soft and bouncy yet defined and frizz-free.
- Moisturizes, repairs, and nourishes your hair
- Designed for all curl types and all hair types
- This cream is sulfate and paraben-free
- Safe to use for colored hair
- May not make your hair as soft as it claims
8. Best For Adding And Enhancing Shine: Kenra Curl Defining Cream
The Kenra curl defining creme adds shine to your hair and gives it a soft, touchable texture. If you are looking for the best styling cream to refine and separate your waves and tame frizz and flyaways, try this professional-grade one. It defines your curls like no other hair cream and elevates your look.
- Promotes curl memory
- Helps fight frizz and flyaways
- Resists humidity and adds control
- It helps your hair shine
- May not adhere well to wet hair
- The overpowering fruity smell may be too strong for some
9. Best For Maximum Control: CHI Straight Guard Smoothing Styling Cream
Among the best styling creams for women, the CHI straight guard smoothing, styling cream helps create sleek, smooth styles. It is scientifically formulated and gives your curly or straight hair control and shine all day long. It also smooths curly and frizzy hair, making them easier to comb through.
- A cream-based styling cream
- Eliminates frizz from your hair
- Gives you maximum control
- Adds incredible shine to the hair
- Has an easy brush glide formula
- Makes frizzy, curly hair smooth and sleek, almost straight
- May leave a sticky residue on the hair
- Doesn’t contain any butter
10. Best Enriching: Renefris Hair Styling Cream
If you need a styling cream that is light yet nourishing, then Renefris cream can be a good choice. Regular use of this cosmetologist-approved hair cream help increase volume and bounciness of curls. Enriched with the finest Scandinavian botanicals, the cream is devoid of artificial chemicals and uses tangerine, lavender, and jasmine to provide a soft and soothing aroma. The ultra-moisturizing curl cream does not contain silicone or sulfate, making it suitable for color-treated hair.
- Free of parabens and formaldehyde
- Sandalwood and vanilla add a soothing fragrance
- Has the healing elements of Nordic cloudberry
- Contains ProVitamin B5 for deep moisturization
- Not tested on animals
- May not be suitable for oily hair
- May not suit long hair
11. Best For Strengthening: Marc Anthony Instantly Thick Hair Thickening Cream
With the goodness of wheat, hydrolyzed corn, and phytokeratin, which is a soy protein, this Marc Anthony hair thickening cream is one of the best styling creams out there. The expert-recommended cream strengthens your hair and also adds shine, and gives them a voluminous look.
- Helps your locks look fuller and voluminous
- Formulated to strengthen your hair
- Loaded with ingredients to hydrate your hair
- Sulfate-free hair product
- Does not weigh your hair down
12. Best For Vibrant Color: Virtue -In- Styler
The Virtue six-in-one styler is an all-in-one women’s hair styling essential infused with Alpha Keratin 60ku(R), vitamin B12, tocopherol, and strengthening polymers to give you luscious, healthy hair. It is clinically verified and rejuvenates hair color vibrancy, reduces frizz, restores split ends, increases hair thickness, and improves overall hair health.
- Cruelty-free and vegan
- Lightweight formula
- Works for every hair type
- Free of synthetic colors and dyes
- Free of sulfates, phthalates, and parabens
- Formula may be slightly greasy on thin hair
- Smell may be overpowering for some
13. Best For Styling: Botanic Hearth Tea Tree Shaping Cream
The Botanic Hearth styling cream makes the hair tamable by nourishing, softening, and reducing frizz. It is a unique hair cream for a shine that also provides a flexible hold while bestowing an instant shine to the mane, and you can use it on wet as well as dry hair. The ingredients restore your hair’s moisture balance and enable it to retain hydration, and the cream works well on most hair textures and types.
- Paraben- and sulfate-free
- Not tested on animals
- Softens the locks
- Infused with collagen and biotin
- Easy-to-use jar container
- Maybe a tad bit greasy
- Some may find its smell overwhelming
14. Best For Deep-Conditioning: Color Wow One-Minute Transformation Styling Cream
Color Wow One-Minute Transformation styling cream is ideal for busy folks looking for a one-stop solution for frizzy hair. The deep-conditioning cream quickly penetrates the hair shaft and converts dull, dry, and damaged hair into soft, lustrous, and manageable hair. Infused with a mix of natural oils, this hair care product leaves a non-greasy layer on the strands to protect them from heat and environmental pollutants.
- Instantly tames frizzy hair
- Avocado oil provides hydration
- Contains nourishing omega 3
- Prevents heat damage
- Gets rid of static
- Consistency might be thicker than expected
- May not be suitable for thick hair
15. Best For All Hair Types: Framesi BY Pearl Wio Strait Balm
This hair smoothing cream by Framesi can be used for color-treated hair and will not dull, coat, or ruin your hair color. The pearl line range of creams offers a light and airy finish by blocking humidity and smoothing the hair for you.
- Provides thermal and UV protection to your hair
- Adds a weightless and light quality to your hair
- No buildup after using the hair cream
- Has powerful anti-aging properties
- Doesn’t leave a silky feeling on your hair
- Could make your hair a little stiff after use
16. Best For Hyrdating: Malin+Goetz Sage Styling Cream
The Malin+Goetz Sage styling cream gives a flexible hold and long-lasting style without making your hair feel stiff. This styling cream is made with sage and absorbent fatty acids, which hydrate and nourish the hair while providing visible volume, making it an ideal hair cream for definition. It is free of parabens, sulfates, and phthalates.
- Lightweight formula
- Suitable for all hair types and textures
- Cruelty-free and vegan
- Reduces frizz and fly-aways
- Might make fine hair look a bit greasy
- Some may find the fragrance intense
17. Best For Curling: L’oreal Paris Hair Care Studio Line Flexible Strong Hold Cream
This celebrity-endorsed haircare product from L’Oréal Paris Studio Line is a multi-look cream that holds your hair for 24 hours. It allows you to customize your hair any way that you want. The melting application gives you super soft, weightless, and residue-free defined curls. The hair cream also lets you try endless styles and looks without hassles.
- Multi-look buildable cream
- It gives your hair a 24-hour hold
- Formulated with glycerin for super soft hair
- Get an effortless and natural look with this hair cream.
- Can make your hair sticky
- The gel can be too strong for your hair
18. Best For Shiny Hair: Amika Curl Corps Defining Cream
Amika Curl Corps Defining Cream softly coaxes your curls to keep frizzing, sagging, or splitting away. Rich in vitamins C and A, antioxidants, and healthy omega fatty acids, this leave-in treatment for hair helps define and nourish your hair to deliver a shiny and silky feel to the hair.
- Locks in the moisture to give a silky feel
- Curl-boosting gel adds bounce to your curls
- Oat peptide helps protect your hair
- Also lightly conditions your hair
- Just works for a day
- It may not hold curls in humid conditions
- Can make your hair flat and greasy
19. Best For Volume-Boosting: L’ange Selecte Thick It Cream
The lightweight formula by L’ange Selecte adds to the thickness and volume of your hair, offering transformative results. The super lightweight curl cream is formulated to add a nourishing touch to your hair with its enriching ingredients, such as coconut oil and wheat amino acids, while boosting the body of the strands. In addition, the cream is also helpful for defining curls.
- Free of parabens and sulfates
- Suitable for fine, thin hair
- Enhances natural hair texture
- Provides frizz-free hair
- May weigh down fine hair
- May feel sticky
What Are The Uses Of Hair Styling Cream?
A good hair-styling cream can be useful in the following ways:
- Adds moisture, shine, and essential nutrients to your hair.
- Lets you quickly adorn a well-groomed look whenever you step out.
- Could be used to create different styles for your hair and give you a frizz-free look.
- Most styling hair creams don’t grease your hair or make it feel oily afterward.
How Is Styling Cream Different From Hair Paste, Pomade, And Wax?
There are few but significant differences between hair paste, pomade, wax, and styling hair creams for women.
- Hair styling creams give you shiny looking hair as they contain natural oil-based ingredients that help infuse nutrients into your hair.
- The base component for hair pomade is wax, which is also used for styling hair. It helps to give you a wet, sleek, and shiny look. Excess use of pomade hair wax can make your hair greasy.
- Hair paste, which is used mostly as a styling aid, gives a matte finish to your hair. It works best with wavy or fine hair and gives out a messy hair appearance.
- Hair wax also gives a professionally styled look by making the hair flexible and firming it up. It can be used all day long.
You can see that these four hair styling products have different roles and aren’t made of the same base ingredients. So, before using, it is good to know if the hair care product is designed to suit your hair type and give you the desired results.
How To Choose The Right Hair Cream For Your Hair?
Here are some of the factors that you should consider when looking for the best styling cream for your hair type:
- Ingredients: Oils are one of the key ingredients used in hair creams. However, there are different types of oils like argan oil, hemp seed oil, jojoba oil, etc., that have a range of effects. You may opt for a hair cream with dermatologist-tested ingredients if you have a sensitive scalp. So, do understand it better before buying one.
- Hair type: You can find a lot of hair creams for all hair types. However, there are some that will specifically work for your hair type. For example, you might want to have a hair cream that helps in making your hair soft while someone might want to look for one that helps them fight frizz.
Tiffany Young, a trichologist and founder of ThinHairThick, says, “Read the ingredient list and prioritize ingredients over the brand name. Ingredients are always a better predictor of product quality over a brand’s ability to market a product. Do not use products with harsh ingredients such as alcohols and dimethicones, and avoid wax application to the scalp area.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag loves talking about hair and skin care products as a fashion and beauty enthusiast. In this article, she has handpicked some of the best hair creams for women. All the products included in the list are loved and trusted by several online buyers. Poulami has described all the recommended products based on their unique features. She provided the advantages and disadvantages of each product and a buying guide to help you choose the right hair cream.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I apply hair cream every day?
Yes, you can apply hair cream daily to fight frizz or just impart a superior shine to your hair. However, always begin by doing a patch test.
2. Can I use a hair cream along with hair oils?
Mixing hair cream and hair oil may not give you the desired results. So, avoid combining the two.
3. Is it good to use hair cream?
Most hair creams are styling creams that help set or style your hair while minimizing the frizz and bestowing your locks a natural look. Based on their formulation, hair creams moisturize the hair or make them shiny.
4. Are hair creams harmful?
Using hair creams that do not contain toxic or harmful chemicals in moderation and as per the instructions on the packaging may not cause any substantial harm. Hair creams are to be used as beauty products and not as a substitute for hair treatments.
5. Which is better, hair oil or hair cream?
It depends on your purpose. Most hair oils and hair creams help minimize frizz. Hair creams are meant to set or shape one’s hair in a certain style, while hair oils are formulated for conditioning purposes.
6. Is hair cream better than gel?
Hair gels may be more lightweight than hair creams but most hair creams provide more hydration to your mane as compared to a gel while taming them as well.
7. Does hair cream cause baldness?
In general, there can be various reasons that could cause baldness. One of them could be using hair products that dry your hair and contain harsh chemicals. So, avoid hair creams with harsh chemicals.
When you want to give your hair some extra nourishment, tame that frizz, or make your hair appear softer, the best hair creams for women can make the task much easier for you. The hair creams listed here are lightweight and non-greasy, so you can leave the house rest assured that they will make your curls shine without weighing them down. Our top picks are, Deva Curl Styling Cream, best known for its non-crunch finish, Marc Anthony Perfect Curl Cream with an essential vitamin-rich formula, and Kenra Curl Defining Cream, which treats your hair with care against humidity and harmful damage. Before buying one, however, check the ingredient list and make sure they are safe for your skin.
Infographic: Benefits Of Different Types Of Hair Creams
Hair creams can moisturize your hair without making them greasy. You can apply the cream before using heat-based styling products, as they can protect your hair from heat. Walk through the infographic to learn about the benefits of moisturizing hair creams.
- Negin Sharifi et al.; (2022); Argan oil as a pretreatment of human hair before exposure to oxidative damage: Attenuated total reflectance and protein loss studies.