Crimping your straight hair can be a fantastic makeover for any party or special occasion. The best hair crimpers can help you achieve a pretty curly look in a few minutes. Wavy hair has never gone out of fashion and gives you a voluminous look. Also, smooth waves can be adorned gracefully for any casual occasion or party. So if you are bored with your regular looks and are looking for the perfect hair crimper to give you that silky smooth wavy look, have a look at our list of the most trending hair crimpers and pick the best one from the lot.
Our Top Picks
Why Do People Use Hair Crimpers?
Hair crimpers are primarily used to turn straight hair into wavy hair in simple steps, without going to a salon for hairstyling. Besides making the hair a bit curly, crimping makes the hair look a little heavier as well as frizz-free. If you have flat hair, crimping is one of the best options to add texture to it and make it look voluminous.
Hair crimping can also be useful if you like extra volume, texture, and styling, and hair crimpers are essential to get that right. Get yourself a few hair crimpers, and you could experiment retro hairstyles that women loved to flaunt back then.
11 Best Hair Crimpers
1. Best For Volumized Hair: Bed Head Little Tease Crimper
Use this hair crimper to experiment with new looks and for volumized hair. It is one of the best products in the market that gives your hair volume, texture and shine while making it look extra wavy. The hair crimper has a tourmaline ceramic plate that slides through your hair smoothly. Not sure if this is the right fit for you? Check out this video to understand how the product works.
- Sleek design
- Set on multiple heating temperatures
- Ceramic plate glides well
- Tangle-free swivel cord for convenience
- Extreme heat from this could damage hair – so use judiciously.
2. Best Multipurpose: MHU Professional 3-in-1 Flat Iron
This professional flat iron functions as a hair straightener, hair curler, and a hair crimper. The all-in-one professional flat iron helps you try different styles with minimized damage and gives the hair a super smooth look. The best thing about it is that it smoothens the hair from the cuticles, giving it a naturally silky-smooth look.
- Five variable heat settings
- Auto-off setting
- Offers firm grip
- Lock temperature switch
- 30-day money-back guarantee, no questions asked
- Straightener may not work for extra curly hair
3. Best Interchangeable: DSHOW 4-in-1 Ceramic Iron
If you like styling your hair differently, you must have this hair crimper. DSHOW 4 in 1 Interchangeable iron gives you a choice to choose from the different plates to style your hair differently. Each of the plates forms a different style and gives extra volume to your hair. Whether you want broad, narrow, or deep crimps, you can try them all with this hair crimper. Here’s a video that demonstrates exactly how easy it is to use this product every day.
- Fast heating
- Choose heating temperatures depending upon specific hair types
- Longer power cord
- Anti-skid button
- If the temperature is not set right, it could damage the hair
4. Best For Volume: Conair Infiniti Pro Ceramic Crimper
This ceramic hair crimper is a micro-crimping styler that instantly lifts your hair and provides volume. In three simple steps, you can style your hair and get the desired look. If you have thin hair, it can help add volume to your hair. The hair is frizz-free and looks wavy after crimping. The ceramic plating prevents hair damage and minimizes heating for the hair.
- Hair looks bouncier
- Five temperature settings
- Takes less time to crimp the hair
- Heats up in 30 seconds
- You might smell a burning odor after using
5. Best For Instant Styling: Gold N Hot Ceramic Crimping Iron
The ceramic crimping iron heats faster than any other. If you often need to do instant styling, this iron is for you. The 2” wide ceramic plate collects a big portion and distributes heat evenly without leaving any strand. It makes hair crimping easier and lets you create an effortless crimp layer. The device can heat up to temperatures between 200°F and 450°F.
- One for all hair types
- Light indicating power supply
- Takes 60 seconds to heat
- 6-feet longer cord
6. Best Non-Damaging: Hot Tools Mini Crimper
This mini crimper is professionals’ first choice for crimping because of small-sized crimps and firm grip. The crimper provides tighter crimped locks that keep the hair in place for a longer time. It makes small crimps and heats faster than any other crimping iron. While this mini iron is not really small, it creates small crimps that give full volume to the hair.
- Long-lasting waves and volume
- Creates capricious crimps on all hair types
- Does not support dual voltage
7. Best Salon-Friendly: Wangmeili Professional Hair Crimper
For a professional look, this hair crimper is a good choice. With a 1.5-inch heating plate made of tourmaline ceramic plates, it causes less to no damage to your hair. This salon-quality equipment is easy to use and can be used for personal styling too. The body of the crimping iron is entirely heat insulated to prevent burns.
- Salon perfect equipment
- Five variable temperatures
- No damage to hair
- Design makes it difficult to get a good grip of the crimper
8. Best For Uniform Styling: hiLISS Mini Crimping Iron
To get a fuller look, this mini crimper is the best choice for you. It does not damage your hair and forms small, yet graceful crimps. It is the one exclusively made for short and stubborn hair. It has temperature settings –high, medium, and low. It is small and portable and can be easily carried along wherever you go, as it consumes little space.
- Portable and lightweight
- Reasonably priced
- Uniform styling
- Different temperature setting to prevent damage
- Exclusively for short hair
9. Best For Reducing Frizz: Yitrust Crimper
The crimper gives your hair a salon-like look with beach-sculpted waves that stay on for a long time. The crimper is for wide styling and creates waves of different sizes. The barrel-lock design is made to create beachy waves and big curls. This crimper also reduces frizz and adds gloss to your hair.
- Reduced frizz and dryness
- Lasts longer
- Tourmaline ceramic plate prevents heat damage
- Perfect for beachy waves
- Swivel power cord, 8ft long
- On/Off button located inconveniently
10. Best Insulated: Hair Curling Crimping Iron
With a barrel-lock design, this crimper has outshined others. It has three jumbo barrels that create a smooth and wavy look in a few minutes. The crimper does not harm your hair as it has ceramic and tourmaline plating, which prevents heat damage to the hair. The material used in designing the crimping iron is highly insulated.
- Anti-slip handle
- Tourmaline ceramic coating to prevent damage
- Long-lasting waves
- Get short, medium, and large curls
- Oversized and difficult to use without help
- Temperature settings inaccurate
11. Best Travel-Friendly: KeyZone Curling Crimper
This is a mini travel-sized crimper that creates a curly look within a few minutes. The tourmaline ceramic plate prevents heat damage. The crimping auto-shuts and starts when it reaches the set temperature. An ideal hair crimper for travelling, as you can slide this crimper even into your pockets.
- Small in size
- Faster styling
- Auto-shutoff facility
- Heats up excessively
- Might cause damage due to excess heat
Even the best hair crimpers can damage your hair when you do not use them the right way.
How To Use A Hair Crimper?
Here are a few tips to note when using a hair crimper.
- For the best results, crimp after washing your hair. Also, wash your hair with a volumizing shampoo, which will give a nice effect.
- After that, use a heat protectant to prevent your hair from damaging. If your hair type is dry and frizzy, you must apply the protectant. Besides, you can use a volumizing mist to hold the crimped waves and prevent the loosening of hair.
- Blow-dry your hair to give it extra volume. Blow-drying lifts the cuticles, which can then be styled without any extra effort. After this, detangle your hair to make the waves look clean and to prevent hot spots.
- Section your hair into four divisions. The crown segment is divided into two, and the bottom segment into two to easily crimp the sections. Fasten the segment with hair clips.
- Remember to start horizontally and go section by section. Depending upon your choice of crimp size, take the strands accordingly. If you want a voluminous look, take little hair and use equal pressure on all. Spend 5-10 seconds maximum on a segment before moving forward.
Hair Crimper Size And Style Types
Crimpers come in different sizes and styles. Therefore, choose the one that suits your hair type.
1. Mini crimper
Mini crimpers are easy to hold and have a firm grip. They help in achieving a tight, wavy look and add volume to the hair. These crimpers are ideal for travelers. They heat up fast and provide instant styling within a few minutes.
Standard crimping irons are the ones with tourmaline and ceramic coating that prevents hair damage and styles beautiful waves. It can create different-sized crimps to your hair and add extra volume too.
Wide crimpers have more demand in the market as they offer quick crimping. Wide crimping irons are differently styled and have different settings. These hair stylers are not very expensive even though they are different and better than the other crimping machines.
How To Choose The Right Hair Crimpers?
Here a few things to consider for choosing the right hair crimper.
- Size: When choosing hair crimpers, you must check the size of the crimping iron. Crimping takes a lot of time, so buy a convenient tool and not a heavy one. The one that you can hold comfortably will let you style your hair easily. Mini crimpers are often better compared to the heavy ones that leave you struggling to get a grip.
- Less damage: To prevent damage to your hair, choose a tourmaline ceramic-plated crimper. While there are metallic crimpers, the most preferred are ceramic and tourmaline. If you get one with changeable plates made of both material, get that! Ceramic is often preferred as it eliminates the frizz and has a low heating effect on the hair.
- Auto shutoff: Auto-shutoff is an essential feature as it helps in preventing hair damage. With this feature, you can save your hair from burning due to excessive heat.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag is a fashion, skincare, and hair care enthusiast with an eye for detail which helps her pen informative articles. She has rounded up a well-researched list of the best hair crimpers after running a comparison of top-rated products with an analytical perspective. And with that, she has also shared tips on how to use hair crimpers and leave you to choose the right one.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How are the hair crimpers different from hair straighteners?
Flat irons and crimping irons are similar yet different. The only difference is that the crimping machine has ridges on the surface of the heating plate. These ridges provide your hair with a crimped look. Whereas straightening, straightens the hair, even the natural curls vanish, and hair appears to be straight. Crimpers require holding of the two sides of the plate at equal intervals to have a crimped look. On the other hand, a straightener glides smoothly through your hair.
2. What happens if I brush my hair after using crimpers?
You should not comb your hair after crimping it, as that can loosen the waves. It will also create frizz and extra volume depending on the specific hair type. Therefore, avoid combing your hair after crimping it.
3. Is crimping good for hair?
It is good when you crimp your hair with a tourmaline ceramic crimping iron. Otherwise, you could damage your hair with excessive heat. Also, buy products that minimize damage to hair with ceramic plating.
A hair crimper is useful for those who love styling hair with minimal effort. Whether it is a birthday, wedding, or a special event, the best hair crimpers can make your hair look voluminous and give you flawless wavy hair. Before buying one, consider features like auto-shutoff, size, durability, and value for money. Also, look for crimpers that don’t overheat and damage your hair and allow you to try different styling options that are suitable for your hair type. So, pick one hair crimper from the above list and slay your look every single time.
Infographic: Benefits Of Using Hair Crimpers
Hair crimping is a hair styling technique that can give your hair a flawless, wavy appearance. Have a look at this infographic to learn about the benefits of hair crimpers.
- Best Hair Dryers For Girls
- Best Hair Steamers
- Best Relaxers For Black Hair
- Best Heat Protectants For Natural Hair