Crimping your straight hair can be a fantastic makeover for any party or special occasion. The best hair crimpers can help you achieve a pretty curly look in a few minutes. Wavy hair has never gone out of fashion and gives you a voluminous look. Also, smooth waves can be adorned gracefully for any casual occasion or party. So if you are bored with your regular looks and are looking for the perfect hair crimper to give you that silky smooth wavy look, have a look at our list of the most trending, results-driven hair crimpers and pick the best one from the lot.
Why Do People Use Hair Crimpers?
Hair crimpers are primarily used to turn straight hair into wavy hair in simple steps, without going to a salon for hairstyling. Besides making the hair a bit curly, crimping makes the hair look a little heavier as well as frizz-free. If you have flat or thin hair, crimping is one of the best options to add texture to it and make it look voluminous.
Hair crimping can also be useful if you like extra volume, texture, and styling, and hair crimpers are essential to get that right. Get yourself a few hair crimpers, and you could experiment with retro hairstyles that women loved to flaunt back then.
11 Best Hair Crimpers For Wavy And Voluminous Hair In 2023
1. Best For Volumized Hair: Bed Head Little Tease Crimper
Use this hair crimper to experiment with new looks and for volumized hair. It is one of the best products in the market that gives your hair volume, texture and shine while making it look extra wavy. The hair crimping iron has a tourmaline ceramic plate that slides through your hair smoothly. Not sure if this is the right fit for you? Check out this video review showcasing how this crimping iron with tourmaline technology works.
- Sleek design
- Set on multiple heating temperatures
- Ceramic plate glides well
- Tangle-free swivel cord for convenience
- Extreme heat from this could damage hair – so use judiciously.
"This crimper worked effortlessly on my thin, straight hair, resulting in lovely volume and undamaged hair ends. While the cord length is short, this handy tool is easy to use. Also, it is great with heat protection and is long-lasting. Worked well on my wigs too."
2. Best Quick-Heating: Terviiix Hair Crimper
The hair crimper by Terviiix can help you get shiny and fashionable crimped hair. Its keratin and argan oil-infused tourmaline and ceramic plates heat up rapidly, allowing you to get quick and moisturized-looking crimps. Featuring five temperature settings and a non-slip ergonomic handle, the hair tool can make your mane look textured and voluminous by adding different-sized crinkles. Moreover, this crimping tool for hair includes a flat plate that can be used to create a variety of styles or straighten textured hair.
- Four crimping plates included
- Z buckle design to prevent the plate from falling off
- Heat-resistant gloves included
- Auto-shut off design
- Some might find it difficult to use
- Plates might take excessive time to cool
"I received this as a gift and it's been quite useful. The plates are easy to switch, and they heat up efficiently to style my thick hair in one go. They not only crimp but also add volume and style. No complaints here; it's a recommendable product!"
3. Best With Adjustable Temperature:CkeyiN 3 Barrel Hair Crimper
Create stunning, voluminous curls with ease with the CkeyiN 3 Barrel Hair Crimper. The crimped hairstyle maker is equipped with advanced ceramic technology and an adjustable temperature range of 176 to 446 °F for enhanced hair protection while crimping. Known for its results-driven performance, this tourmaline crimper generates negative ions that effectively smooth out frizz, making styling a breeze.
- Instant heat-up within 30 seconds
- 360° swivel and tangle-free cord
- Dual voltage (110V-220V)
- Eliminates frizz
- LCD display screen
- May emit a burning odor
"As a busy mom of a toddler, I rely on this hair styling tool to style my hair quickly. The ease and speed this offers for my hairstyling routine are amazing. It crafts the cute waves I fancy in 10 minutes, even with my thick hair. The lower heat also helps maintain my dyed hair's vibrancy—definitely a worthy addition to my tools."
Best For Volumized Hair
Best With Adjustable Temperature
|Bed Head Little Tease Crimper||Terviiix Hair Crimper||CkeyiN 3 Barrel Hair Crimper|
|Material||Ceramic Tourmaline||Plastic||Ceramic, Metal, Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS), Tourmaline|
|Hair Type||All||All||Dry, Normal, Thick, Straight|
|Dimensions||4.25 x 3.5 x 15.75 inches||12.99 x 3.94 x 3.94 inches||1.56 x 3.94 x 3.07 inches|
|Weight||12.8 Ounces||1.83 Pounds||1.14 Pounds|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
4. Best For Volume: Conair Infiniti Pro Ceramic Crimper
This ceramic hair crimping machine is a micro-crimping styler that instantly lifts your hair and provides volume. In three simple steps, you can style your hair and get the desired look. If you have thin hair, it can help add volume to your hair. The hair is frizz-free and looks wavy after crimping. This crimping iron with adjustable heat settings and ceramic plating prevent hair damage and minimize heating for the hair.
- Hair looks bouncier
- Five temperature settings
- Takes less time to crimp the hair
- Heats up in 30 seconds
- You might notice a burnt smell after using it
5. Best For Instant Styling: Gold N Hot Ceramic Crimping Iron
The crimping iron with ceramic plates offers quick heating. If you often need to do instant styling, this iron is for you. The two-inch wide ceramic plate collects a big portion and distributes heat evenly without leaving any strand. It makes hair crimping easier and lets you create an effortless crimp layer. The hair tool can heat up to temperatures between 200°F and 450°F.
- One for all hair types
- Power indicator light
- Takes 60 seconds to heat
- Six-feet long cord
"This crimper was a spontaneous purchase I'm glad about. Although a bit bulky, its adjustable heat settings and ease of use add a new dimension to my hairstyling routine. While the high heat calls for some protection for your hair, it gets the job done fast. It is particularly helpful for giving volume to my fine hair with a quick zap underneath the top layer."
6. Best Non-Damaging: Hot Tools Mini Crimper
This mini crimper is professionals’ first choice for crimping because of its small-sized crimps and firm yet comfortable grip. The hair crimping wand provides tighter crimped locks that keep the hair in place for a longer time. It makes small crimps and heats faster than any other crimping iron. While this professional-grade mini iron is not really small, it creates small crimps that give full volume to the hair.
- Long-lasting waves and volume
- Creates capricious crimps on all hair types
- Does not support dual voltage
"I rely on this tool to volumize my hair's underlayers and it works like a dream. While it is slightly too large for my preference, it comfortably provides gentle crimps for fine hair with quick heat-up and a quality build. This reliable crimper is perfect for various hairstyling needs."
7. Best For Even Heat Distribution:7Magic 3 Barrel Curling Iron
The triple barrel curling wand by 7Magic features six temperature levels for different hair types, making it suitable for those with thin as well as coarse hair. On the other hand, its PTC instant heat technology ensures quick and even heat distribution, allowing you to create dramatic curls in five to ten seconds. In addition, this hair-crimping accessory has a two meter-long power cord that can rotate at 360 degrees, making it easy and convenient to use.
- Anti-slip grip
- Anti-scald top
- Enhances the natural shine of hair
- LCD temperature display
- Tool may heat up
- Handle may be bulky for some
"This three-barrel curling iron added body to my long hair and created relaxed, beachy waves. The iron heats up swiftly and includes a glove for protection; very thoughtful! While I find the temperature control dial a bit loose, the hair styling machine is easy to use and does not consume much time."
8. Best For Uniform Styling: hiLISS Mini Crimping Iron
To get a fuller look, this mini crimper is the best choice for you. It does not damage your hair and forms small, yet graceful crimps. This crimping iron for a textured hair look is exclusively made for short and stubborn hair. It has temperature settings –high, medium, and low. This hair styling tool is small and portable and can be easily carried along wherever you go, as it consumes little space.
- Portable and lightweight
- Reasonably priced
- Uniform styling
- Adjustable temperature setting to prevent damage
- Exclusively for short hair
"I was impressed by the volume this crimper delivered at my roots - truly amazing! My hairstyles stay longer as well. Its compact size is travel-friendly and is easy to pack for trips and vacations."
9. Best Sleek:Wavytalk Professional Hair Crimper
The Wavytalk crimper heats up quickly, reaching 410°F in just 30 seconds. This professional-grade hair crimping tool also features a 60-minute automatic shutdown and a tangle-free 360° rotating cord for easy use. The high-grade ceramic coating on tourmaline and the one-piece plate with a three-barrel design help you achieve perfect voluminous waves.
- Sleek rose gold design
- Dual voltage (110V-220V)
- Variable temperature control between 230 and 410℉
- LCD screen display
- Includes a resting stand
- Power switch may be oddly located
- Might be slightly bulky
"I like the swift heat-up and the adjustable temperature, allowing varied hair textures. For proper waves though, smaller hair sections worked better. While I find the size a bit smaller than expected, this styling tool is sturdy and can get a full head of waves in about 10 minutes. Overall, it's easy to use, offering lovely, long-lasting waves."
10. Best With Ceramic Glaze:Modvica 3 Barrel Hair Crimper
The one-inch wide triple barrel curler by Modvica has a high-quality tourmaline ceramic coating. Its nano-technology surface treatment reduces hair damage caused by heat while bestowing a natural sheen to the hair. The adorable pink and black curler comes with two heat settings with temperatures ranging from 180℃ to 210℃. This hair crimping device is suitable for most hair types and ideal for creating well-defined and glamorous waves.
- Anti-scald insulated barrel tips
- Ceramic barrels reduce static
- Ergonomic handle
- Instant heating technology
- May emit a burning smell when used for prolonged periods
- Some may find the cord length short
"I'm delighted with this crimper's impressive performance! It works well on my inconsistent wavy hair, adding perfect waves when needed. While it gets quite hot within seconds, it works swiftly on thick hair, providing long and defined beachy waves that last until the next day!"
11. Best Travel-Friendly: KeyZone Curling Crimper
This is a mini travel-sized hair crimping styler that creates a curly look within a few minutes. The tourmaline ceramic plate prevents heat damage. The crimping auto-shuts and starts when it reaches the set temperature. An ideal hair crimper for travelling, as you can slide this crimper even into your pockets.
- Small size
- Faster styling
- Auto-shutoff feature
- Heats up excessively
- Might cause damage due to excess heat
"The crimping iron heats to the optimum temperature and creates beautiful volume at the roots. While it seemed smaller than expected, its performance compensated for the size. Quite happy with it!"
How To Use A Hair Crimper?
Here are a few tips to note when using a hair crimper.
- For the best results, crimp after washing your hair. Also, wash your hair with a volumizing shampoo, which will give a nice effect.
- After that, use a heat protectant to prevent your hair from getting damaged. If your hair type is dry and frizzy, you must apply the protectant. Besides, you can use a volumizing mist to hold the crimped waves and prevent the loosening of hair.
- Blow-dry your hair to give it extra volume. Blow-drying lifts the cuticles, which can then be styled without any extra effort. After this, detangle your hair to make the waves look clean and to prevent hot spots.
- Section your hair into four divisions. The crown segment is divided into two, and the bottom segment into two to easily crimp the sections. Fasten the segment with hair clips.
- Remember to start horizontally and go section by section. Depending upon your choice of crimp size, take the strands accordingly. If you want a voluminous look, take little hair and use equal pressure on all. Spend five to ten seconds maximum on a segment before moving forward.
Alexandro Vasquez, a professional hairdresser and hair colorist, says, “Before styling, wash your hair using the correct shampoo and conditioner specific for your hair type, towel dry the hair, apply a thermo-active protection cream, and blow dry it. Finish the styling using a good serum or shining spray.”
Hair Crimper Size And Style Types
Here are a few things you should consider for choosing the right hair crimper.
1. Mini crimper
Mini crimpers are easy to hold and have a firm grip. They help in achieving a tight, wavy look and add volume to the hair. These crimpers are ideal for travelers. They heat up fast and provide instant styling within a few minutes.
Standard crimping irons are the ones with tourmaline and ceramic coating that prevents hair damage and styles beautiful waves. It can create different-sized crimps to your hair and add extra volume too.
Wide crimpers have more demand in the market as they offer quick crimping. Wide crimping irons are differently styled and have different settings. These hair stylers are not very expensive even though they are different and better than the other crimping machines.
How To Choose The Right Hair Crimpers?
Here a few things to consider for choosing the right hair crimper.
- Size: When choosing hair crimpers, you must check the size of the crimping iron. Crimping takes a lot of time, so buy a convenient tool and not a heavy one. The one that you can hold comfortably will let you style your hair easily. Mini crimpers are often better compared to the heavy ones that leave you struggling to get a grip.
- Less damage: To prevent damage to your hair, choose a tourmaline ceramic-plated crimper. While there are metallic crimpers, the most preferred are ceramic and tourmaline. If you get one with changeable plates made of both material, get that! Ceramic is often preferred as it eliminates the frizz and has a low heating effect on the hair.
- Auto shutoff: Auto-shutoff is a key feature as it helps in preventing hair damage. With this feature, you can save your hair from burning due to excessive heat.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag is a fashion, skincare, and hair care enthusiast with an eye for detail which helps her pen informative articles. She has rounded up a well-researched list of the best hair crimpers after running a comparison of top-rated products with an analytical perspective. And with that, she has also shared tips on how to use hair crimpers and leave you to choose the right one.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What happens if I brush my hair after using crimpers?
Combing your hair after crimping it can create frizz. Therefore, avoid combing your hair after crimping it.
2. How do I make crimps last?
Follow these steps to make your crimps last longer.
- Spray your hair with a thickening spray and hair protectant before you start to add texture to your hair.
- Use the crimping iron at its hottest setting.
- Once you are done with the crimping process, use a hair-setting spray to set the crimps.
3. How can I crimp my hair without a crimper?
Crimping the hair without a crimping iron can be complicated. It doesn’t give you the same crimping look to the hair. To crimp your hair without using a crimping iron, wet your hair or wash it, take small sections of damp hair and braid them tight, leave the braids until the hair dries, remove the braids, and use a hair setting spray.
4. Does crimping hair add volume?
Yes, crimping adds volume to the hair and is a better way to achieve volume than backcombing.
5. Can I crimp my hair with a flat iron?
It is possible to achieve crimped hair with a flat iron using some hacks.
- Dry and brush your hair and apply a hair protectant before you start.
- Now braid your hair into small sections and apply hair spray.
- Use the straightener on each section starting from the roots.
- Once the hair cools, loosen the braids to reveal the crimped hair.
A hair crimper is useful for those who love styling hair with minimal effort. Whether it is a birthday, wedding, or a special event, the best hair crimpers can make your hair look voluminous and give you flawless wavy hair. Before buying one, consider key features like auto-shutoff, size, durability, and value for money. The list includes top options such as the Conair Infiniti Pro Ceramic Crimper, which has ceramic plates to prevent damage, and the Terviiix Hair Crimper, which comes with multiple styling plates to create different looks. It also features the quick-heating Gold N Hot Ceramic Crimping Iron, suitable for all hair types. So, pick one hair crimper from the above list and slay your look every single time.
Infographic: Benefits Of Using Hair Crimpers
Hair crimping is a hair styling technique that can give your hair a flawless, wavy appearance. Have a look at this infographic to learn about the benefits of hair crimpers.
- Best Hair Dryers For Girls
- Best Hair Steamers
- Best Relaxers For Black Hair
- Best Heat Protectants For Natural Hair